• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shiek L cancel

gameguy07

Smash Rookie
Ok so I always L cancel. I don't seem to notice a difference between L canceling and not unless I'm using a dair which isin't very often at all. So my question is...Should I bother L canceling with shiek?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
if you don't notice it's because you are either missing the timing, or because you aren't experienced enough for it to matter.

whether or not it's mattering against the people you're playing now it's good to do because it will matter against the pros

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
If you don't, you'll get shield grabbed to death. Your spacing will be worse. You'll be slower. It adds up. It's so easy to do, too, there's no reason not to.

Link-NY

Smash Ace
Yes you should bother L-cancling with all of shieks aerials it can mean the diffrence between a shield grab, fox u-smash out of shield or an up-b out of shield. Dont be fooled in thinking your safe in not L-cancling shieks lagless aerial her almighty fair either.

Ares726

Smash Ace
First: jump, do an aerial, and use another move after you land. Observe the lag between the moves.

Then: jump, do an aerial, try to l-cancel, and use the same move you used before. If it comes out quicker you l-canceled; if it doesn't, you didn't.

I think grab is a pretty good move to test. Especially for the fair because it's a useful "combo" in real matches. Shffl fair->grab that is.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
While we're on the topic, what about Shiek's fair? It only has, what, four frames of lag and L-Canceled two? I don't see the point in L canceling that aeriel, especially seeings how you run the risk of accidently shielding after the aeriel.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
While we're on the topic, what about Shiek's fair? It only has, what, four frames of lag and L-Canceled two? I don't see the point in L canceling that aeriel, especially seeings how you run the risk of accidently shielding after the aeriel.
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/superdoodleman/Sheik_frames_11.6.05.txt

According to this, 16 frames non-cancelled, 8 frames l cancelled. If you still accidentally shield after l cancelling, you need more practice. There is a point to l cancelling it. If you can l cancel it, you'd be able to follow up with another attack, such as a grab or tilt if the f-air doesn't kill them.

Ares726

Smash Ace
If you ever play against the Ice Climbers you will quickly learn the importance of the l-canceled fair->grab. Because if you don't l-cancel they'll shield grab->grab->grab->...->death.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
yeah it's definitely worth it. Although, I remember reading somewhere that the fair is so fast that you don't lose much if you don't l-cancel it, but idk if that's true.

Ares726

Smash Ace
Yeah, you only cancel a few frames of lag, but those few frames make the difference between getting grabbed and not getting grabbed, and that boils down to keeping your stock or losing it agianst the IC.

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace
Your probably not seeing a difference because your doing your aerials higher off the ground. If you fair a few frames from the ground you will def. need the l-cancel. Just do it anyway...

path411

Smash Cadet
learning l-cancelling is definetly worth the time.

I've been shield grabbed by even a link from a non l-cancelled fair, once I l-cancelled it and he tried a shield grab again, I just shffld-fair'd and whacked him out of my way.

brickman

Smash Lord
I'm not arguing against the fact that L canceling is effective, I'm just trying to figure the frame or the distance you should be from the ground when you use it. I haven't used a character where it is exceedingly obvious, so if someone could give me a general idea of what time or distance from the ground I should use it would be greatly appreciated.

path411

Smash Cadet
I'm not arguing against the fact that L canceling is effective, I'm just trying to figure the frame or the distance you should be from the ground when you use it. I haven't used a character where it is exceedingly obvious, so if someone could give me a general idea of what time or distance from the ground I should use it would be greatly appreciated.

if you need help timing I guess maybe using a slower char like bowser or gannon might help, then see if that gives you more of a sense on shiek, if not just keep trying till you notice a difference that you should see of being able to jump alot quicker.

lilcoolboi64

Smash Cadet
I think you're dj your aerials so there is no lag once you hit the ground because in the air, you can do two of sheik's fairs with a dj. When you L-cancel when you land, you're probably just gonna airdodge or sheild.

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
bear in mind just becaues you can l-cancel doesnt mean you can happily go spamming aerials in front of their shield.

maybe if youre fox using your dair which usees shieldstun all the way to the ground when you can do an instant shine, but most of shieks aerials hit at the top of the shield, meaning that youll be hard pressed not to be shieldgrabbed regardless of your l-cancel.

stil, l-cancel'd dairs are always good.

CmRoddy

Smash Journeyman
you need to l-cancel, little less lag matters in high-level play
well, since Drephen said so, than i guess i should l-cancel. lol.

but in all seriousness, here is proof that it helps. Drephen is a top Sheik pro and if he says that it helps and is needed in high level play, than why wouldnt you? i recently started l-canceling my air attacks and i must say it has helped.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
no ur wrong

l cancelling is for nubs.

the best thing to do is to L cancel half of ur attacks so that ur opponent doesnt know whether or not ur gonna l cancel and will try to shield grab u.

this way u get free dmg

brwnhawaiin

Smash Cadet
its hard for me to tell if im l canceling sometimes. and i hate when my shield pops up, its to hard to get the timing perfect. and also, when u do the shffl fair->grab, do u press z for grab, because ive been practicing, and my z shiled will pop up. maybe its cuz im just practicing and not near anybody when i press z

Brookman

Smash Hero
its hard for me to tell if im l canceling sometimes. and i hate when my shield pops up, its to hard to get the timing perfect. and also, when u do the shffl fair->grab, do u press z for grab, because ive been practicing, and my z shiled will pop up. maybe its cuz im just practicing and not near anybody when i press z
hold down the button you l-cancel wth and then hit the a button.

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
L-Canceling an aerial into a D-Tilt is usual pretty nice to, especially if its a Fair because the Fair will wear down the shield enough to sneak the D-Tilt into the open space under their shield and start a combo most of the time.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Sheik= Comboes
Sheik+L cancel= More Comboes
Shiek+L cancel+Mastered Comboes= Comboes to death
These equations pretty much add up to what i was going to say.. i'mma stare at em for a while and realize how right he was... Ahh it feels so good.. haha.

Why would you not want to make the fastest aerials in the game faster...?:confused:

Top Bottom