• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik's moveset

What do you think of Sheik's new moves?

• Total voters

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Sheik looks like she's definitely improving from her Brawl version. Overall seems like a much stronger fighter, yes.

Still way too early to call broken. It requires knowing much more about the game's mechanics, the inevitable iscoveries of new ATS, and of course how the matchups are in game.

What truly cemented MK's brokenness was when it became clear all his match-ups were even or in his favor. Besides, for all we know he may very well be coming back for smash4 with little to no change.

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
I'm watching even more of those same vids beyond just Sheik, and quite honestly, I'm impressed. Sheik looks extremely fun and cool to me and Yoshi seems like I can finally forget the freaking tier list forever.

Personally I don't care how fast- or slow-paced the game is: if it's fun, that's all that matters to me.

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
Is there anyway at all to cancel her needles mid air without forcing an air dodge? I tried during the demo awhile back and it seems forced now.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Is there anyway at all to cancel her needles mid air without forcing an air dodge? I tried during the demo awhile back and it seems forced now.
I was able to hit shield to cancel charging needles in the air. Worked just like Brawl.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
You were able too? Alright good. I didn't get to play her enough. I'm going to assume her mid-air pivots are back then.
Yeah, I played the 3DS version briefly at Nintendo World. It was Smash Run, so I got like 5 minutes to myself to just run around and try various techs.

Needle canceling and aerial pivots were like the first two things I tried.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
honestly Sheik is going to be ******** with SDI as it is now. Ftilt, fair, dtilt were improved and run pivot cancel aids a character like her greatly. Bouncing fish and burst grenade are pretty solid additions and added histun gives her a ton of greater options out of throws than she ever had. Burst Grenade is looking mad dumb lool and bouncing fish can be comboed into from what I tested. AND melee needles? Sheik plz.

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
honestly Sheik is going to be ******** with SDI as it is now. Ftilt, fair, dtilt were improved and run pivot cancel aids a character like her greatly. Bouncing fish and burst grenade are pretty solid additions and added histun gives her a ton of greater options out of throws than she ever had. Burst Grenade is looking mad dumb lool and bouncing fish can be comboed into from what I tested. AND melee needles? Sheik plz.
FAIR
AND
BALANCED

Tristan_win

Not dead.
How was Dtilt improved?

-dMT-

Smash Lord
honestly Sheik is going to be ******** with SDI as it is now.
SDI as it was in the alpha build.***

A common thing game developers do when they are forced to make a presentable build of a game that is still a WIP is to feature only fully functional systems in the game and exclude any incomplete/unstable/buggy systems entirely. Considering SDI wasn't just really low, but missing entirely from Smash it is likely to be the case here.

Last edited:

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
SDI as it was in the alpha build.***

A common thing game developers do when they are forced to make a presentable build of a game that is still a WIP is to feature only fully functional systems in the game and exclude any incomplete/unstable/buggy systems entirely. Considering SDI wasn't just really low, but missing entirely from Smash it is likely to be the case here.
, post: 16938321, member: 28133"]Sheik looks like she's definitely improving from her Brawl version. Overall seems like a much stronger fighter, yes.

Still way too early to call broken. It requires knowing much more about the game's mechanics, the inevitable iscoveries of new ATS, and of course how the matchups are in game.

What truly cemented MK's brokenness was when it became clear all his match-ups were even or in his favor. Besides, for all we know he may very well be coming back for smash4 with little to no change.[/quote]

As I said sheikis going to be ******** with SDI as it is NOW. As in yes it could very well change, im solely speaking about the build we have. That should be clear given my statement.

anyways, ill be going to SDCC for the 3ds tournament, any tech you guys would want tested?

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
, post: 16938321, member: 28133"]Sheik looks like she's definitely improving from her Brawl version. Overall seems like a much stronger fighter, yes.

What truly cemented MK's brokenness was when it became clear all his match-ups were even or in his favor. Besides, for all we know he may very well be coming back for smash4 with little to no change.

As I said sheikis going to be ******** with SDI as it is NOW. As in yes it could very well change, im solely speaking about the build we have. That should be clear given my statement.

anyways, ill be going to SDCC for the 3ds tournament, any tech you guys would want tested?
Vanish glide, Vanish lag-less landing, needle glide, usefulness of burst grenade traveling off stage (not you going off stage because it counts as "recovery" like zelda's din fire) , burst grenade set ups, bouncing fish wall bounce mechanics, jab cancel alternations, and lastly her kill potential.

Also. Jealous.

Last edited:

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Im so glad about her needles and burst grenade; she going to need all she can get vs the massive amount of disjoints we've seen within the new cast thus far.

also sdi was in the best buy build DMT. Look up the sdi out of pikachus dsmash.

Last edited:

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
It's really hard to do any sort of speculation on my end. Just can't get into it until I have a physical copy.

Nice to see a few names I haven't seen in some time like dMT.

HRR2b23

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4498-3108
So according to a post on Nintendo Everything, Sheik's fair has a sweetspot at the tip that functions as a kill move, though not as strong as in Melee. I did not notice this when I played the demo, did anybody else?

HRR2b23

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4498-3108
Ah, it was Nintendo Enthusiast, not Nintendo Everything.

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/article/competitive-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds/

Basically this is a listing of every major change to characters as well as the basic ATs that go across the board. Right at the top of Sheik's "Changed moves" section is the following:

Forward air: This is one of the least significant changes that I’m bothering to list, but the strong forward air is back! Kind of. The move comes out INSTANTLY, faster than ever before, and the front tip has a strong hitbox. It’s not as powerful as it is in Melee, but it’s no joke. Other parts of the move are much weaker, but it has little landing lag and can be used in combos very effectively.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I honestly don't know if I like this or not. The fair hit box has always been fairly small with like 2 maybe 3 small hitboxs to even speak of so now there going to be a drastic difference between the semi spike inward hit box and the tipper its going to be harder to use them move reliably.

I just hope it 'kills' before 130% Sheik doesn't need another attack that kills after then on lightweights

Last edited:

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
well based on my SDCC excursion I dont wasnt able to do this "mystical fair" fair is more combo centric now and follows the way of the Swan Combo loool. Her combo game is amazing and she can zone pretty well with needles/burst grenades combination. burst grenades are honestly a brilliant wall with their sole risk being the start up. Theres too much you can do with that move. bouncing fish is also a great set up for edgeguards which by the way i think sheik is going to be really REALLY stupidly good at. Timing a burst grenade once they grab the ledge puts them in a very bad scenario. Especially with how the new invincibility works on the edge, you can basically melee edgeguard characters if you hit them off the ledge once which is easy to setup with burst grenade. Also fsmash is better due to the workings of SDI. So between that and edgeguarding I think sheik will be solid.

Sheiks main problems are made lesser by the changes made to her but they still exist. How potent her edgeguarding setups are will be key imo. All in all very fun to play as.

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
I love that Sheik's moves are more feminine looking it just adds a lot of character and looks more flashy than before, and also I LOVE her new fighting stance! It looks like she is ready to fight instead of just her hands close to her sides.

MattCon5

Smash Rookie
I haven't seen anyone bring this up here, but there was some Sheik gameplay featured at SDCC and it appears that her d-air has changed in the newer builds. It's now a quick kick that spikes down/returns her to the stage from the air. Thoughts on this? I'm glad to see another Sheik move re-worked that didn't really have much use in the first place. It's clearly too early to call out which characters are the best, but I will say that Sheik seems to have a fully usable toolkit this time around.

EDIT: skip to ~58 minutes to see the Sheik gameplay.

Last edited:

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
I haven't seen anyone bring this up here, but there was some Sheik gameplay featured at SDCC and it appears that her d-air has changed in the newer builds. It's now a quick kick that spikes down/returns her to the stage from the air. Thoughts on this? I'm glad to see another Sheik move re-worked that didn't really have much use in the first place. It's clearly too early to call out which characters are the best, but I will say that Sheik seems to have a fully usable toolkit this time around.

EDIT: skip to ~58 minutes to see the Sheik gameplay.

Yeah her dair kinda looks faster, and also the b-up vanish move hurts her enemies when she reappears! that's new and makes using it safer.

MattCon5

Smash Rookie
Yeah her dair kinda looks faster, and also the b-up vanish move hurts her enemies when she reappears! that's new and makes using it safer.
It's much faster! It's actually reminiscent of ZSS's similar move, if I was going to compare it. And yes, I forgot to mention that as well, but it looks like that will help her recovery quite a bit, in addition to Bouncing Fish mechanics.

Also, this has been on my mind so I should mention. Does anyone else feel iffy about the f-air changes? If it is in fact being switched to a combo move, I'm not sure I see the usefulness of it anymore. From what I've seen, f-air has next to no knockback so I'm not sure how Sheik will be able to follow up out of that move.

Last edited:

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
It's much faster! It's actually reminiscent of ZSS's similar move, if I was going to compare it. And yes, I forgot to mention that as well, but it looks like that will help her recovery quite a bit, in addition to Bouncing Fish mechanics.

Also, this has been on my mind so I should mention. Does anyone else feel iffy about the f-air changes? If it is in fact being switched to a combo move, I'm not sure I see the usefulness of it anymore. From what I've seen, f-air has next to no knockback so I'm not sure how Sheik will be able to follow up out of that move.
I hope that you will be able to follow up with n-air or else yeah I'll just be using it to rack up damage.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Iffy? Hmm, nope I'm ecstatic! You see in Melee the fair was basically the the almighty pimp slap of doom. I mean think it about, its a quick, nearly lagless powerful aerial that semi spikes (send people mostly downward/horizontal) no one was surprised by the nerf only by how much. In Brawl the Fair was transformed from a great kill move to a sort of lackluster kill move/combo starter. Yes it could still kill/set people up for a edge guard and in very specific low percentage scenarios it could set you up for a combo but ultimately it did both jobs pretty poorly. Now in smash4 the fair is getting changed again, it's forgoing the majority of it's kill power(what left that is) to become even faster and lagless. There has already been video's showing sheik doing things like stringing two fairs together on stage and comboing fair into jabs. It's pretty much guaranteed at this point that we will be able to combo from fair into a lot more especially because in Brawl you could already string Fair-dtilt-ftilt lock at certain percentages against certain characters( fox :3). By making the move weaker it has greatly expended the range Sheik will be able to combo from it against the entire cast.

Aka, it's been buffed.

Edit: I should also mention because it's a good combo starter it give Sheik a actual reason to approach which is amazing for all those aggressive Sheiks out there.

Last edited:

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I'd rather have it as the almighty pimp slap of doom but it's cool. I'll just pimp slap my friends in real life.

Last edited:

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
well based on my SDCC excursion I dont wasnt able to do this "mystical fair" fair is more combo centric now and follows the way of the Swan Combo loool. Her combo game is amazing and she can zone pretty well with needles/burst grenades combination. burst grenades are honestly a brilliant wall with their sole risk being the start up. Theres too much you can do with that move. bouncing fish is also a great set up for edgeguards which by the way i think sheik is going to be really REALLY stupidly good at. Timing a burst grenade once they grab the ledge puts them in a very bad scenario. Especially with how the new invincibility works on the edge, you can basically melee edgeguard characters if you hit them off the ledge once which is easy to setup with burst grenade. Also fsmash is better due to the workings of SDI. So between that and edgeguarding I think sheik will be solid.

Sheiks main problems are made lesser by the changes made to her but they still exist. How potent her edgeguarding setups are will be key imo. All in all very fun to play as.

Unless the game becomes way less floaty from what we've already seen, I entirely disagree. Smash 4 recovery looks obscenely good due to character floatiness, based on the videos we've gotten, so kills are only found in outer blast zones. :( Edgeguarding is completely meaningless as they will pretty much always come back no matter how far.

Sensei

Smash Lord
Sheik is such a cool female fighter and I love her new moves! She reminds me of Buttercup from the Powerpuff Girls, especially with the green outfit.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Unless the game becomes way less floaty from what we've already seen, I entirely disagree. Smash 4 recovery looks obscenely good due to character floatiness, based on the videos we've gotten, so kills are only found in outer blast zones. :( Edgeguarding is completely meaningless as they will pretty much always come back no matter how far.
Well if edge guarding is unable to kill then if anything it's a good source for damage as you can repeatedly intercept them. It's kind of like fighting Snake, it's really hard to prevent Snake from recovering but if you land a couple fair or bairs and then force him to recover high it's by far worth it.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Well if edge guarding is unable to kill then if anything it's a good source for damage as you can repeatedly intercept them. It's kind of like fighting Snake, it's really hard to prevent Snake from recovering but if you land a couple fair or bairs and then force him to recover high it's by far worth it.
I suppose that's true. I wonder how ledgedrop bair is in ssb4.

speakerbox

Smash Rookie
I dont know a ton about sheik as Im fairly new to the game, but as long as her up air stays the same I'm sure ill be happy

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
I dont know a ton about sheik as Im fairly new to the game, but as long as her up air stays the same I'm sure ill be happy
Its not. It has multiple hits now along with a finishing knock back blow like her jabs. Makes me worried if you can SDI it. However SDI has either been removed or drastically toned down in this game. So we'll just have to see.

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
Its not THAT bad. I tested it in the demo. That is if the demo replicates the actual game well. Her Uair still has about the same knock back like it does in Brawl. Just a drill before hand.

speakerbox

Smash Rookie
Its not. It has multiple hits now along with a finishing knock back blow like her jabs. Makes me worried if you can SDI it. However SDI has either been removed or drastically toned down in this game. So we'll just have to see.
Ah damn, that's a shame. I'm still anticipating maining Sheik however; if she stays somewhat similar to her melee counterpart I'm sure I will enjoy her.

Top Bottom