• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik's Bair from edge tactic

Leafplayer452

Smash Journeyman
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34rDovTzdEY

How to perform:

1.Tilt control stick the opposite way Sheik is facing (while on the edge of a stage)

2. Press B (to charge needles, this will make you turn around for a bair)

3. CANCEL YOUR NEEDLE CHARGE ASAP! with R (or L)

4. Use your only midair jump

5. Use your Bair; IMPORTANT NOTE: Depending on how fast you cancel your needle charge and how long you hold you jump button before you use Bair, you will get better range for the Bair

6. Recover you fool

I take no credit on finding this, NEO thought he was the only 1 that knew this and I recently found this out actually a week ago lol, so if anyone wants credit for this it should be NEO (Im the 1 that decided to make this thread and the video)

Leafplayer452

Smash Journeyman
Yea! So now you see the use of it, plus Bair has a better range and priority then fair

But again this is REALLY hard to do in a regular match (dont do this on wifi kids)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Keep in mind you can also needle cancel with Z. It might be easier since you don't have to press a trigger all the way down.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
Leaf you don't need to jump for this, you can Needle Boost + flying Back Air just like you can Needle Boost to a flying F-air

Judo777

Smash Master
haha i already knew about this and i have actually used it successfully in a couple of tournament matches but it is risky sometimes plus if you screw up you might chain offstage.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Seems high risk, low reward. If it works, I hit them, if it doesn't I pretty much lose a stock. That's dangerous.

On another note If you're hangin on to the ledge, and you press up on the control stick [or X or Y or another jump button], tap B twice and you can throw the needles to about the 1/4 to 1/2 of final destination. You can also b reverse it to catch enemies trying to recover low. With some proper air movement you can fall right back to the ledge grab.

Just some random, less useful knowledge

MetLKaosu

Smash Rookie
Kinda reminds me of sonic's side b off the ledge, jump cancelling it, then bair onto the stage (or back to the ledge >_> )

Thing is I don't see why sheik can't do a rising nair/fair assuming its safer and more reliable it seems. Though this can surprise them getting in a free hit lol.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I've been dying for some new ledge tricks to try out with Sheik. I've been doing the wall jump to a bair on BF but now I have a way to mix in bair on any stage. Thanks for sharing I don't know why I never thought of this before.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
It does look like it would work in a few situations.

My only problem with it is that to get a b-air you have to force yourself into recovery from beneath the stage. I suppose you could tether after the b-air, but if they just powershield or regular shield your b-air they can gimp you.
I'm gonna play around with it and see if it's possible to b-air on to the stage (which means you would probably be able to buffer in a new SH-bair. I guess if you wanted to do you could do that b-air lock thing but I suppose I'm getting ahead of myself.)

Thanks for the input.

GreyClover

Smash Apprentice
It does look like it would work in a few situations.

My only problem with it is that to get a b-air you have to force yourself into recovery from beneath the stage. I suppose you could tether after the b-air, but if they just powershield or regular shield your b-air they can gimp you.
I'm gonna play around with it and see if it's possible to b-air on to the stage (which means you would probably be able to buffer in a new SH-bair. I guess if you wanted to do you could do that b-air lock thing but I suppose I'm getting ahead of myself.)

Thanks for the input.
If I'm reading what you're saying right then at 1:04 in the video it shows him doing a Bair onto the stage.

Leafplayer452

Smash Journeyman
Im happy to see everyone is liking this and seeing some use in it, but personal it depends on how much your fingers go on your controller to get better results (as said)

@SinkingHigher - When I thought of this I thought the best way to use the bair was from below so most attacks wont hit you from there, like maybe Snake's ftilt

@GreyClover - Exactly, your personal opinion on the use of this I believe will depend on your own results and if you have fast fingers like me, you should be able to get back on the stage while doing the Bair, this may also be a perfect way to set up a ftilt lock when you opponent is at low percents

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I stopped doing this like three months ago, while it looks cool it is overly complex and unsafe. ledge drop -> double jump fair is a much better option.
harder to react to, you are invincible during the hit box, less lag which means more follow up options
Needle reverse canceling to fair people recovering from off stage though... thats beast.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
On another note If you're hangin on to the ledge, and you press up on the control stick [or X or Y or another jump button], tap B twice and you can throw the needles to about the 1/4 to 1/2 of final destination. You can also b reverse it to catch enemies trying to recover low. With some proper air movement you can fall right back to the ledge grab.

Just some random, less useful knowledge
I'm going to use this (a lot).
no one can stop me.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Since we are on the subject of B reversal at the ledge I'll throw in a trick that I have had up my sleeve.
Every one knows about Fair planking. Well, now everyone know about this.
To throw into the middle of this you can try a Craqwalk.
(Not recommended every time.)
Just do the same thing that leaf don except for a Craqwalk+ DSmash/grab/f-tilt (best options out of this trick IMO.)

:EDIT:
wouldnt wall jumping into a bair be safer?
She doesn't get enough height at FD... but if timed right you could do this at paces like BF, SV and YI.

Wall jumping to craqwalk loses the effect and they'll try and punich a return to the stage anyways.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I always used this the way he showed it in FD/Yoshi's and Battlefield, but in Smashville I go for walljumping, more accurate. (I name these 4 stages 'cause these are the only ones used in the tournaments at my country.)
It doesn't work to well at FD.... :ohwell:

Top Bottom