• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Sheik Video Discussion Thread. 155 Videos!

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Can you critique my Sheik? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwfj3iNq4Yk (I didn't know how to DI the throws at that time. haha)
I also have another video coming up with Sheik vs. Ness.
You are a very patient player which is good, especially against Diddy Kong, however, like the commentators said, there were several instances in that set where you were set up for something, but just didn't go for it.

rahsosprout

Smash Apprentice

hay guys was hoping somebody could critique my sheik. just wanna point out that i just switched to sheik 3 days ago so it still feels weird using her but hopefully it's apparent im only a noob to sheik and not to smash in general.

also i think this mu is pretty easy in general. i just cherry picked the ones i lost to get a sense of mistakes im prone to making.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I don
also i think this mu is pretty easy in general. i just cherry picked the ones i lost to get a sense of mistakes im prone to making.
I don't have time to watch these right now, but you should also 'cherry pick' the ones you win so that we can see what you're doing right.

Last edited:

Ravik

Smash Rookie
@ R rahsosprout

You're running into Marth's fsmash way too much. He's just throwing it out randomly. You can just sit back and punish with things like dash attack, grab, or bouncing fish. Don't forget you have projectiles either. If you're just sitting there, start charging needles. You also need to work on your gimp game. He may be able to make it back, but it's your job to make it a living nightmare for him. Even if you don't kill him, it should be free %. Also don't fsmash too much, it's too punishable. You should only use it when you KNOW it's going to hit. One more thing, if you get a grab, don't forget to pummel. That's also free %.

MetaBhreat

Smash Cadet
ArikadoX said:
any stuff I should work on?
Practice the Trump -> Bair so it is a reflex.
Don't get antsy on the ledge. Robin is a zoning character. He wants you to feel pressured when you're on the ledge and Ellfire is right there. You're looking to get up quickly, which caused you to normal getup into the Ellfire early on. Later you were able to jump getup over the Ellfire, but he started covering that as well.
What would I do?
Wait Ellfire out. You have plenty of time of the ledge. Then ledge drop -> doublejump back onto the stage, where you'll be able to cover yourself with a hitbox. (Probably a Fair).
In my experience with Robin's who do this, if you wait out their Ellfire they get antsy and will come forward for an attack, which you can beat with an attack. If they don't attack, you can simply jump back up on the stage.

Also throw some tomahawks in there.

One final thought; it's minor but I'll throw it out there.
After you lost your first stock, and you respawned with your invulnerability, you dash grabbed towards you opponent and then went for another grab immediately after, while they were still in the air. I know quite a few players who habitually go for grabs after spawning, and it's really easy to avoid/punish. Land, charge needles/get center stage/read your opponent. Better players won't fall for a respawn grab.
It may have been an accidental input or something else, but I thought I would address it just in case.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Practice the Trump -> Bair so it is a reflex.
Don't get antsy on the ledge. Robin is a zoning character. He wants you to feel pressured when you're on the ledge and Ellfire is right there. You're looking to get up quickly, which caused you to normal getup into the Ellfire early on. Later you were able to jump getup over the Ellfire, but he started covering that as well.
yeah, I'm used to rushing with my playstyle, so I guess I should start changing that a bit. thanks. As for the trumps, I do actually need practice on that, I still can't do it properly (or I do it successfully but rarely)

One final thought; it's minor but I'll throw it out there.
After you lost your first stock, and you respawned with your invulnerability, you dash grabbed towards you opponent and then went for another grab immediately after, while they were still in the air. I know quite a few players who habitually go for grabs after spawning, and it's really easy to avoid/punish. Land, charge needles/get center stage/read your opponent. Better players won't fall for a respawn grab.
It may have been an accidental input or something else, but I thought I would address it just in case.
I actually usually /always/ charge needles after respawning, but that one time I don't know why I didn't :/ thanks for the advice though, I'll keep that in mind

this Robin player has actually kinda been my rival ever since the 3DS version. he used to main Greninja pre-nerf and I just couldn't win against him lol, probably the best player I personally know/often play against.

Last edited:

MetaBhreat

Smash Cadet
It can be hard, but staying calm and focused is really important when it comes to matches against good players like that.
I would say play him as much as you can. There isn't much that can make you better at Smash than playing against good players.

Joemama8

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys! I finally got a set of mine recorded at a local tournament and I wanted to get some critique. I used to be a sonic main back in brawl, but decided to switch it up in sm4sh.

Edit: yea it's 3 stocks.....

Last edited:

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59

Ravik

Smash Rookie
Yooooo Ed. I only watched the Nick Riddle match, but here you go:

You're letting ZSS space you too well. Either get in her face or stand back and chuck some needles. Personally, I like to get near the ZSS and shield, since she can't do much besides her slow grab. Then punish whatever she does. You're committing waaaay too much. Nick didn't do it, but you should have gotten punished for a good number of those vanishes and up smashes. Speaking of up smash, don't forget up smash out of shield is an option. When juggling ZSS, you could have done a much better job. I know Nick is a great player, but I feel you should have won the set. You kept rushing her down, and all Nick really had to do was play his defensive game all match until you over commit on something. Sometimes, you just need to take a breather and instead put pressure on ZSS to approach using needles. Ebb and Flow

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Hello!

I am new to Sheik and after practicing a bit offline, I decided to take her to For Glory, because why not?
First opponent was, of course, a Rosalina, something I did not have any experience with playing Sheik. It was a struggle, it was a bit laggy, I lost the first match but scored the second. (The rosa then left :( )

I am sorry for the butcheresque video quality, but I'd love to improve with my Sheik play!

sGale

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sGaley
3DS FC
4484-8977-1421
Hiya, just hosted a tourney yesterday. Looking for some critique on my matches with Sheik.
What I've noticed myself watching these is that I don't have a solid gameplan and that I go a bit hard off-stage/approaching. Please tell me what other bad habits/things I'm doing wrong are. Appreciate all help I can get!

Probalo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mattoswine
3DS FC
4356-0295-3822
Switch FC
SW 5442-3764-0807
Friendly match against @Shinyman337 Any advice to get better is gladly appreciated!

Last edited:

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Friendly match against @Shinyman337 Any advice to get better is gladly appreciated!
Definitely consider using your forward-tilt more at low percentages, because that can set up a forward-air combo.
I think you did great. Try not to approach with grab to much or it becomes predictable.
Nice job otherwise! :b:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
you definitely seem to know your stuff when it comes to technical inputs but you seem to be afraid to start a string for some reason. You go for fthrow but don't follow it up with multiple fairs when you absolutely could do that and very safely. I also didn't see many attempts at gimping/edge guarding Falcon.

Also when you connect a bouncing fish, you never cancelled its animation. You can do that by pressing the attack button again immediately after connecting, initiating the second kick and allowing you to jump before landing or land without any lag. watch this video if u need to see it done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZYyPd-jloM

_Hades

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hades647
is it just me or is it less entertaining to watch 3ds matches instead of wii u

MetaBhreat

Smash Cadet
Akiro said:
E2C 12: Akiro (Sheik) vs. MJG (Diddy Kong) Grand Finals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa4tx7hxCUw
I'd appreciate any critique to improve my game.
I would like to see more tomahawks.
Throwing in a couple tomahawks will make your opponents second guess sitting in shield when you come from the air, which is quite effective for Sheiks because it happens fast. I felt that he started to feel safe when you were in the air and he could just hold shield.

And congrats on the chaingrab.

Akiro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Akiro_TPH
I would like to see more tomahawks.
Throwing in a couple tomahawks will make your opponents second guess sitting in shield when you come from the air, which is quite effective for Sheiks because it happens fast. I felt that he started to feel safe when you were in the air and he could just hold shield.

And congrats on the chaingrab.
Thanks, appreciate it! I did realize I needed to apply more tomahawks after our set. I think my problem was the bananas and me going too fast and running into stuff I shouldn't have. In Winner's Finals, I played more of a ranged game and played much better than the rush-down game I did in Grand Finals. WF's I lost 3-2. GF's I lost 3-0. I really wish I could get the Winner's Finals set so I can show the difference.

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
So this happened...

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
So this happened...
Oh, so people did not know about this? This was actually the first thing I checked after 1.0.4 came out. Anyway, this is DI dependend and only works on certain chars AND stages. i can tell you from the top of my head this works on Battlefield, and I could confirm it to work on Halberd Omega. Talking about intresting counterpicks. Onto chars, this works on ZSS, Sheik, and iirc at least Lucario and Greninja. @ Tristan_win Tristan_win might still have a list somewhere.
So how does this work? First, you need to face the ledge with you back, but you don't need to be super close to it, normal close is already enough (eg. after a neutral get-up). Then, depending on their DI (you CAN'T influence that at all) they will either et spiked or go up, as usual. The DI that leads to this is, as I believe, towards the stage. To be honest tho, I really don't remember anymore, so I need to call the power of tristan once again.

For my defense, after I got quite alot of these and did not manage to get anything out of it, I kinda lost intrest in it.

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
Oh, so people did not know about this? This was actually the first thing I checked after 1.0.4 came out. Anyway, this is DI dependend and only works on certain chars AND stages. i can tell you from the top of my head this works on Battlefield, and I could confirm it to work on Halberd Omega. Talking about intresting counterpicks. Onto chars, this works on ZSS, Sheik, and iirc at least Lucario and Greninja. @ Tristan_win Tristan_win might still have a list somewhere.
So how does this work? First, you need to face the ledge with you back, but you don't need to be super close to it, normal close is already enough (eg. after a neutral get-up). Then, depending on their DI (you CAN'T influence that at all) they will either et spiked or go up, as usual. The DI that leads to this is, as I believe, towards the stage. To be honest tho, I really don't remember anymore, so I need to call the power of tristan once again.

For my defense, after I got quite alot of these and did not manage to get anything out of it, I kinda lost intrest in it.
Yes ik, i found out its DI dependant after as its a bit buggy . still a exploit lol

Top Bottom