• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Sheik Video Discussion Thread. 155 Videos!

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Need critique asap, I have a tournament tomorrow

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Really good stuff, I can't think of anything to even say. Also, lol at the premature taunt and the dog stuffing your Bouncing Fish. I can't give much insight on the Rosalina MU, I've only ever played one, and he never approaches like the one you faced did.

EDIT: Stay focused and you should do fine in the bracket.

Last edited:

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Thanks, I hope I do really good in the tournament.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Last edited:

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
I have two matches recorded from the last tournament, please critique my sheik, i will really apreciate it. I got 7th place.
vs Seri, Ness

vs Kevon, Mega Man

Last edited:

Tohfoo

Smash Cadet
This was from grand finals at a recent weekly that I attend. I reset the bracket but end up losing. Would appreciate any sort of critique. :)

Ascen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ascendtothetop
I haven't had the chance to land any stream matches yet, as I don't attend many tournaments in my area as of late, but I do have a friendly match with my local friend. If anyone could critique this first match, that'd be great. I'm considering uploading another game, as well, that could aid in critique. Thank you!

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5T2eAG9lzw

Dagon97

Smash Journeyman
I haven't had the chance to land any stream matches yet, as I don't attend many tournaments in my area as of late, but I do have a friendly match with my local friend. If anyone could critique this first match, that'd be great. I'm considering uploading another game, as well, that could aid in critique. Thank you!

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5T2eAG9lzw
I do see a lot of good things that you are doing but, also a lot of bad things.
You are not moving enough, since Ike is still a sluggish character after the patch, you can get a lot of opportunities you might not have seen before.
You are being fairly predictable in your movement.
You are needle charging Ike's face. Why? Run away then do it, or go on a platform, don't do it in his face.

tyler123

Smash Apprentice
I know I got predictable with my rolls which lead to me getting early killed. I feel like I don't follow up enough on my throws but that may just be my lack of practice atm. Any advice on how not to get up tilted to 40?

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
I know I got predictable with my rolls which lead to me getting early killed. I feel like I don't follow up enough on my throws but that may just be my lack of practice atm. Any advice on how not to get up tilted to 40?
What stood out to me the most was your FH Fairs. Were they intentional for the most part or botched SHs? If not, it's not your best option, as it really limits your follow-ups and allows them to juggle you.

Last edited:

tyler123

Smash Apprentice
Honestly just me not being that practiced. I can do them consistently I just like the capability to cross up but it's a bad thing tbh.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Hey guys, I'm going to my first tournament in a few days and I would really like some advice. I just got these matches yesterday so I'm playing 1.10. I feel mostly comfortable with my Sheik since I could pinpoint a few of my mistakes but I would love help regardless. :) Sheik vs Ike is at around 7:50.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Hey guys! Anyone wanna help a washed up relic of the past like myself? Any critiques are welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy0XYNslcmA (Sgt. Pepper :rosalina:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA2GRQraA4s (Xaltis :rosalina:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxoutzo0jK0 (GDX :4diddy:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyEc7-izdL0 (MVD :4diddy:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO4Zt5MJl1w (Poltergust :4yoshi:)
Solid play imo :o but against MVD you were doing a lot of drop down from the ledge into wall clinging.. which is weird, I don't know if it was on purpose or by accident but you did it more than once so I assume on purpose lol

Against Sgt Pepper you threw a couple bouncing fishes in neutral and he seemed to have baited them, so that's not cool. BF in neutral is rarely rewarding

smashPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyfloyd
Would anyone be willing to upload 2 replays to YouTube for me? I have 2 sets against Jerm's Shulk I'd like to have critiqued, but Sakurai will only let us upload 3 minute clips. (Not so based now are you Sakurai).

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Would anyone be willing to upload 2 replays to YouTube for me? I have 2 sets against Jerm's Shulk I'd like to have critiqued, but Sakurai will only let us upload 3 minute clips. (Not so based now are you Sakurai).
I'll upload them, send them to my WiiU please.

smashPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyfloyd
I'll upload them, send them to my WiiU please.
You're the greatest of all time. Can you send me your NNID in the Sheik chat? :]

Edit: I forgot it's on smashboards, my mistake.

Last edited:

MetaBhreat

Smash Cadet
Joaco said:
A lot of good things; here's what I noticed.
When Rosaluma (or any character with a similar recovery [Greninja, Pit, etc.]) decides to Up-B across the stage to try and distance themselves, Bouncing Fish is your go-to. In your case you ran across the stage into an Up-Smash, which the Rosa was able to shield. Bouncing Fish is a faster option that is also better because if it is shielded you'll bounce back and be relatively safe.
There were also times when the Rosa was offstage and you did little/nothing to pressure her. There was one instance in the second match when Rosa was recovering and instead of pressuring you rolled back three (yes I counted) times. Having an opponent offstage feels safe and it's a good thing but more pressure was needed. If you think about it from the other point of view, being able to recover with no resistance gives confidence. Offstage is where Sheik shines so I would have like to see more of that. That being said, there were moments when your offstage/edgeguarding game was great. It just needs more.
Also in regards to offstage game you'll want to mix up what you do. There were a lot of run off back-airs at a point in the second match. Not a bad option, but the less predictable you are the better. Specifically in this matchup, where Rosa has an Up-B without a hitbox, you can pressure her offstage pretty safely in a lot of ways. Bouncing Fish being optimal but throwing in those stage-spike BAirs or even some Nairs can keep her guessing.
In terms of the RosaLuma matchup I don't have much to say. I feel like I learned something.

All in all, a lot of good Sheik stuff, especially against RosaLuma. Practice that offstage game and keep up the good work!

Last edited:

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Thanks! I improved my offstage game the past few months (I still need to improve more) but doing a Bouncing Fish across the stage was something I haven't though about using, thanks a lot for enlightening me. And yeah, I need mixing up my edgeguarding.

MetaBhreat

Smash Cadet
#HBC | Scary said:
Hey guys! Anyone wanna help a washed up relic of the past like myself? Any critiques are welcome.
#HBC | Scary said:
(Poltergust :4yoshi:)
Remember that although he is heavy, Yoshi has one of the best (if not the best) aerial mobilities in the game, so comboing a Yoshi is like comboing a Jiggly or Kirby. You get in, get your hits, and get out. The slightest over-extension can lead you getting punished.

Specifically addressing this particular Yoshi:
Poltergust played Yoshi in a way that made him feel like a zoning character. He applied pressure with eggs and then reacted to how you defended against them. This means that you really need to be aware of how you're dealing with the egg pressure. Doing the same thing will get you read.

Other than that I would say just always be looking for/expecting the double jump.

#HBC | Scary said:
(GDX :4diddy:)/(MVD :4diddy:)
There was so much good that I really had to look for what you need to work on. It seemed like you had more control of the bananas than they did, which is awesome.

I noticed that your Sheik is very fast, but it almost felt too fast. Yes, speed is important, but patience is the way of the Sheikah as well. I mention this because there were times when your speed, combos, and pressure worked amazing. Unfortunately, there were times when your speed caused Sheik to trip over herself.

And it's just the little details with the speed. There was one instance where you grabbed the ledge and the Diddy (forgive me I don't remember which) threw a banana right on the edge of the stage. You did the neutral getup so fast that you had no time to react to the banana placement. That is just a micro-moment where taking an extra second or two to assess the situation and then act accordingly would help. Your ledge invulnerability lasts longer than you may think, use it to your advantage.

Other times I think it was you just getting antsy for the K.O. Vanish and Bouncing Fish came in at certain times where it wasn't optimal. They're both great K.O. tools but stretching yourself too thin, reaching for a K.O., will only put you in a bad position.

I hope this helps, even a little, there was a lot of good play here altogether. Keep it up!

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Some videos of Ray, the best Sheik in my region (imo) from the last tournament
Ray vs Mun (best Luigi in my region)
Ray vs Gado (best player without a doubt in my region)
Ray vs Idle

Last edited:

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Camping Sol harder, throwing him offstage when he had the chance, don't get caught by upb every single time.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
@ Joaco Joaco from what I could see, Ray needed to predict the airdodge, use Sheik's offstage/gimp game a lot more. Interesting use of rising Fair though. He looks like a very solid Sheik.

smashPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyfloyd
Here's something that might interest you all. It's a video me and @_Tree just finished up. Deku did the editing, while i provided the footage, and @gsmVoiD created or inspired some of these combos. There are things to be implemented in your combo game here. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/2t0_9PFQPwM

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
Here is a set I played against the Zss player from my area from a couple weeks ago. You guys are welcome to check out the rest of the playlist I won the tournament but most my other games are with R.O.B. besides like game 1 in 2 other sets in which I did go sheik.

TekNo (me) vs Warhound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFPLIan19sY&list=PLIEqqx4tPoQFbGxXOIRFG9V82UPsYClxC&index=13
I'd suggest more dtilt > Nair play in that match up. Especially at mid percents. At mid percents it strings together well, and if the use their second jump you can gain more momentum from it. The very least you'll get is a needle on their landing following up for a potential edge gaurd. The most is a read and killing ZSS with your uair or bouncing fish.

Top Bottom