• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And yet people treat it like a "Now or Never" situation.
Simply based on "Everyone is here", which people feel won't ever happen again.
So if their characters don't make it in here, it'll be all for nothing, even if there will be more Smash Games.

Not what I feel, but what most Smash Fans seem to be feeling.
The irony is that King Of Fighters fans have been in this exact situation before, and it's mostly fared well for them since then (aside the whole bankruptcy thing).

It's best not to get so hung up in the future and focus on the present of things. It's obvious that they can't cram in every possible newcomer at the same time, this stuff's gradual.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The irony is that King Of Fighters fans have been in this exact situation before, and it's mostly fared well for them since then (aside the whole bankruptcy thing).

It's best not to get so hung up in the future and focus on the present of things. It's obvious that they can't cram in every possible newcomer at the same time, this stuff's gradual.
Yep. Shantae's got a bright future regardless of the outcome

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

Not familiar with King of Fighters, since I never played these games.
However, I can see your point.

And the more I think about it, the more I think that Ultimate should be the base for all future Smash Games.
That would allow to preserve as many characters as possible.
And the only cuts I can see happening in this case, is third-parties withdrawing their support.

Unless Sakurai really wants the next game to be built from the ground up again...
Then again, Nintendo seems to be always obsessed with perfectionism.
So just re-using an engine might be considered a sign of weakness by Nintendo.
Forcing themselves to create new engines and essentially "Fix what is not broken" when there really is no need to.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Cave Story is great, but I feel like it'd nee at least one more game to feel like it has more meaning, I dunno.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't think so. Quote is just as deserving to get in as Shantae and Reimu.
That's highly debatable lol. There's a bit of legacy, but most people I talk to don't know cave story. More know about shantae now. Touhou is very popular in japan but not very known elsewhere.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That's highly debatable lol. There's a bit of legacy, but most people I talk to don't know cave story. More know about shantae now. Touhou is very popular in japan but not very known elsewhere.
I mean, Cave Story has that senority along with Shantae and Touhou that other Indies just can't touch.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Cave Story is great, but I feel like it'd nee at least one more game to feel like it has more meaning, I dunno.
Well, you know what Sakurai once said: "not just anyone can get in". If any random one-shot third party game could get in regardless whether they might actually flop later (e.g. see Mighty Number Nine), they wouldn't remotely know where to start and it'd be much riskier. At least two games for a character seems to be fine.

That being said, begging Daisuke Amaya for a sequel doesn't seem to be working. We'd sooner see Deltarune finished than Cave Story 2, in the current state of things.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
When I was looking at shantae pics, I saw this smash one which I thought was great looking. hadnt seen it before.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
When I was looking at shantae pics, I saw this smash one which I thought was great looking. hadnt seen it before.

I remember seeing this exact pic during the Ballot days. Along with K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie, Shantae had the most fanart done for her from during that time from what I can recall. I remember going on Miiverse during the Ballot and seeing nothing but K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, and Shantae art in the Smashverse on there.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I remember seeing this exact pic during the Ballot days. Along with K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie, Shantae had the most fanart done for her from during that time from what I can recall. I remember going on Miiverse during the Ballot and seeing nothing but K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, and Shantae art in the Smashverse on there.
Yeah, I remember that too. She had a very vocal support base alongside Shovel Knight

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, I remember that too. She had a very vocal support base alongside Shovel Knight
I would honestly say Her, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, and Shovel Knight were the most popular on the Internet during that time. It's hard to say where Shantae and Shovel Knight actually ranked in the Smash Ballot though. It shouldn't matter as long as they did great because it was a suggestion box and not a election.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I would honestly say Her, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, and Shovel Knight were the most popular on the Internet during that time. It's hard to say where Shantae and Shovel Knight actually ranked in the Smash Ballot though. It shouldn't matter as long as they did great because it was a suggestion box and not a election.
It mattered and they did well enough to get spirits and sk got the assist trophy, so we know they're up there. And shantae didn't get deconfirmed, so :)
A lot of us also wanted Ashley, and Isaac was popular too, and they got deconfirmed. There arent that many runner ups left.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It mattered and they did well enough to get spirits and sk got the assist trophy, so we know they're up there. And shantae didn't get deconfirmed, so :)
A lot of us also wanted Ashley, and Isaac was popular too, and they got deconfirmed. There arent that many runner ups left.
Yep. While Geno was popular in Brawl and regained popularity in Ultimate, Smash 4 was when the Geno fanbase was at it's lowest point in popularity I would say. Geno did get a Mii costume, but Geno fans weren't very vocal during Smash 4.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Yep. While Geno was popular in Brawl and regained popularity in Ultimate, Smash 4 was when the Geno fanbase was at it's lowest point in popularity I would say. Geno did get a Mii costume, but Geno fans weren't very vocal during Smash 4.
Well, at least not on Smashboards. A lot of data gathered made it clear that Geno was voted for quite a bit during the Smash ballot itself

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, at least not on Smashboards. A lot of data gathered made it clear that Geno was voted for quite a bit during the Smash ballot itself
Are you talking about Source Gaming's data poll during the Ballot? He ranked in the top 10 in that didn't he?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Geno was still quite a bit popular, but yeah there maybe was less hope at that time. Geno definitely did high on the poll, and the mii costume definitely says something. I don't know how much chance he has, but he's definitely a runner up.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
And speaking of these polls, why the hell is Bandana Dee not in yet? Dee is always in the top 5 or 10. He was even in the top 5 back then. It doesn't make any sense why Dee isn't in yet.

MattX20

Smash Hero
And speaking of these polls, why the hell is Bandana Dee not in yet? Dee is always in the top 5 or 10. He was even in the top 5 back then. It doesn't make any sense why Dee isn't in yet.
Some would argue Sakurai's bias for Kirby games he was involved in, but Bandana Dee was a character he created so I have no idea

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Something I've wondered about to. I wanted more kirby characters. Who knows, could be a dlc :p But yeah sakurai is weird sometimes :p
Hopefully that weirdness makes him pick shantae ;p

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Some would argue Sakurai's bias for Kirby games he was involved in, but Bandana Dee was a character he created so I have no idea
I mean he is a first party character who is always ranking in the top 5 or sometimes even top 3. Nintendo and Sakurai are blind to ignore this specifically Nintendo. DeeLC would make Nintendo a lot of money.

MattX20

Smash Hero
You think the thread will be more active again if it hits 1000 pages or same as normal?

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Why’s it matter how many pages a board has? Talking about the number of posts every 20 posts just pads it unnecessarily >_>.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Why’s it matter how many pages a board has? Talking about the number of posts every 20 posts just pads it unnecessarily >_>.
I think it's mostly just for fun. We're already almost there, so why not go to it?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's a neat milestone. Of course, it's just a little thing, but Maybe some of us want to reach 1000 :p

Shantae deserves 1000 pages XD

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Because the level of boredom in this fanbase has reached this point.

I might as well post something useful and thread-related.

MattX20

Smash Hero

MattX20

Smash Hero
One thing that gets me though is Coral Siren. Barely anything about her relates to her name at all, and she looks normal compared to the rest.

It's almost like each Siren was designed by a different person.
Even some coral integrated into her design would've helped a little

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think it's mostly because of poor timing, in a similar vein for Rex and Spring Man. The base roster was finalized at the end of December 2015. Back then, he had two playable appearances and two fairly prominent NPC roles; For Kirby, that's pretty high, buck in the grand scheme of things it wasn't that much. By the time Ultimate released, his playable appearances had almost doubled; Another role as the food man, a plot-important role in Battle Royale, and a playable appearance in Star Allies (And part of the base game with the main three at that!) Unfortunately, Sakurai doesn't seem have access to the Monado, and so he was stuck as a Spirit. Min Min puts Spirits back on the table, but even then we might not get a Kirby character.
As for the supposed Sakurai bias, I think that's mostly a mix of old Sakurai-era content and a lack of new content. The only new stuff was Masked Dedede as a Final Smash, plus Kawasaki as a way to preserve Kirby's Brawl Final Smash and Marx as a boss, due to his popularity and easy transition to Smash. If we got some more Kirby content, I'm sure we'd have some more modern stuff.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think it's mostly because of poor timing, in a similar vein for Rex and Spring Man. The base roster was finalized at the end of December 2015. Back then, he had two playable appearances and two fairly prominent NPC roles; For Kirby, that's pretty high, buck in the grand scheme of things it wasn't that much. By the time Ultimate released, his playable appearances had almost doubled; Another role as the food man, a plot-important role in Battle Royale, and a playable appearance in Star Allies (And part of the base game with the main three at that!) Unfortunately, Sakurai doesn't seem have access to the Monado, and so he was stuck as a Spirit. Min Min puts Spirits back on the table, but even then we might not get a Kirby character.
As for the supposed Sakurai bias, I think that's mostly a mix of old Sakurai-era content and a lack of new content. The only new stuff was Masked Dedede as a Final Smash, plus Kawasaki as a way to preserve Kirby's Brawl Final Smash and Marx as a boss, due to his popularity and easy transition to Smash. If we got some more Kirby content, I'm sure we'd have some more modern stuff.
And Kirby is extremely popular in Japan, and knowing that new Kirby games are almost assuredly going to happen in the future, if Nintendo wanted an easy first party choice, they could do a lot worse than Bandana Dee.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think the main thing is that the big guys need to nudge Sakurai out of his comfort zone, since he generally just uses stuff from Kirby games he had major involvement with. Ever since the executives at HAL did something to the staff during Air Ride's development that's apparently never been elaborated on, he's only doubled down on this. I'm not even sure if he played most Kirby games at all.

The most curious thing about it all is that HAL doesn't seem to be bothered by any of this, as far as Smash content is concerned. They seem satisfied with minor content advertising the current main Kirby project of the time, so we really don't know what they think about any of this.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think the main thing is that the big guys need to nudge Sakurai out of his comfort zone, since he generally just uses stuff from Kirby games he had major involvement with. Ever since the executives at HAL did something to the staff during Air Ride's development that's apparently never been elaborated on, he's only doubled down on this. I'm not even sure if he played most Kirby games at all.

The most curious thing about it all is that HAL doesn't seem to be bothered by any of this, as far as Smash content is concerned. They seem satisfied with minor content advertising the current main Kirby project of the time, so we really don't know what they think about any of this.
At any rate, both Shantae and Bandana Dee are both spirits in the game currently and could be prime playable upgrade choices if Nintendo and Sakurai wanted to

Top Bottom