• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Eh, seeing as the Hunter got a Mii costume, I doubt there'd be an immediate promotion like that for the same game.

Besides, there's only so many Capcom properties people want in here, there can't possibly be a consensus. For some reason MH couldn't get a character, so this is the most they had time to do for the moment (especially considering that a third party still had to be negotiated just for the few things we got in here).

Anyway, since you brought up a Banpresto character earlier, there is a more popular one who comes to mind.

Dude, you just acknowledged Super Robot Wars!

You’re pretty good.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I think the Capcom rep (if there is one) will not be MH. I think it's more likely to be either a RE rep or Dante they are the next big two from Capcom who still haven't appeared in smash. Imo I think we'll get dante for two reason.
His moveset will be easier to pick
His voice actor has already been in smash bros (Ken)

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Dante, Jill Valentine, heck even Leon & Claire paired like the Ice Climbers would be cool. Always going their separate ways in RE2 but they decide to stick together this time.

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I was thinking about those datamine codenames. What were they again?

The ones I remember and the commonly accepted fighters:
Jack for Joker.
Brave for DQ Hero.
Packu for either Piranha Plant, or Banjo and Kazooie (what with being in The backpack)
??????
Jane (with the ponytail hair physics?) is usually theorized to be Kasumi Yoshizawa from Persona 5 Royal...

Jane... Jeannie? Genie? A bit far fetched sure, but the thought kept bouncing around.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Eh, seeing as the Hunter got a Mii costume, I doubt there'd be an immediate promotion like that for the same game.

Besides, there's only so many Capcom properties people want in here, there can't possibly be a consensus. For some reason MH couldn't get a character, so this is the most they had time to do for the moment (especially considering that a third party still had to be negotiated just for the few things we got in here).

Anyway, since you brought up a Banpresto character earlier, there is a more popular one who comes to mind.

They put a King K. Rool costume in last time, guess that means he's not a priority to be added... oh wait. Also, it was two Mii costumes. I do agree with the notion that representing Monster Hunter more than they did wasn't a priority, and may not be for this fighter pass either, but I find it hard to believe it will truly stay that way if they really think the series is important.

Anyway, since we're talking about Capcom franchises, check out this new mobile card game from them:
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2019...an-street-fighter-darkstalkers-or-mega-man-x/

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
One argument I've seen crop up a lot ever since the Smash Ball in the window happened has been one that's left me dumbstruck. One that's been about AAA vs Indies in terms of what's "important" enough to be in Smash. I just see games as games. Both can succeed, can fail, can be just as fun as the other. It makes no sense to me.

Dukefire

Smash Master
One argument I've seen crop up a lot ever since the Smash Ball in the window happened has been one that's left me dumbstruck. One that's been about AAA vs Indies in terms of what's "important" enough to be in Smash. I just see games as games. Both can succeed, can fail, can be just as fun as the other. It makes no sense to me.
To me, Indies and Triple A games can coexist with one another regarding them being on different playing fields. Heck, if that border was still active, then this wouldn't have happened.

So, an indie entering Smash Ultimate is just another game being recognized for its history in gaming.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I was thinking about those datamine codenames. What were they again?

The ones I remember and the commonly accepted fighters:
Jack for Joker.
Brave for DQ Hero.
Packu for either Piranha Plant, or Banjo and Kazooie (what with being in The backpack)
??????
Jane (with the ponytail hair physics?) is usually theorized to be Kasumi Yoshizawa from Persona 5 Royal...

Jane... Jeannie? Genie? A bit far fetched sure, but the thought kept bouncing around.
As a major Kasumi speculator(She is currently my icon and I made her thread), I think the evidence that Kasumi is Jane well outweighs any other character at this moment. If there is any more to your theory evidence wise, I would love to hear it, but I safely believe it's Kasumi.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
They put a King K. Rool costume in last time, guess that means he's not a priority to be added... oh wait. Also, it was two Mii costumes. I do agree with the notion that representing Monster Hunter more than they did wasn't a priority, and may not be for this fighter pass either, but I find it hard to believe it will truly stay that way if they really think the series is important.

Anyway, since we're talking about Capcom franchises, check out this new mobile card game from them:
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2019...an-street-fighter-darkstalkers-or-mega-man-x/
In any case, I still don't expect MH to get anything more until next time, if any. Fans really just need to make the big guys know.

As good as this looks, I'm not sure I can trust Capcom with maintaining it after what they did to Breath of Fire 6.

That ain't new, ever since various companies went belly-up, people have become obsessed with the idea of treating the gaming scene as a divide of the rich and the poor.

If this doesn't prove that that line of thinking doesn't matter:

Then people are just being stubborn and hate good things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I think what people think when they say indie game is like "some game that didn't make a huge impact so there are no reason for them to bein in smash" like hollow knight for example.Compare hollow knight to ,let's say, Resident evil , what game "deserve" more to be in smash? Resident Evil without a doubt. Because we're comparing a big game made by a huge studio against a good game made by a small studio so i don't think "most" indies should have a character but that doesn't mean i'll hate every indie game to be in smash.Heck, i consider myself a shantae supporter even though i've never played her game so that prove that i'm not against indie game. just not the one who doesn't have anything great about them imo.

Dukefire

Smash Master
While its a little long, I won't do another one.

Indie titles are without a doubt a place where humble beginning are created.

Sure there are some indie games that are bad, but if you dig past the junk, there are bound to be some that are treasures waiting to show itself to the world with its potential.

Cave Story was one of the early indie games released in 2004 that at first didn't have much people knowing about it. Many Years later, now its a game known to many with its history.

Shantae too started on her humble beginnings with the GBC that was almost at the end of its lifespan due to the GBA taking over back in 2002. With Wayforward having to start small for a company that would later become more known and Shantae being the Flagship for WF. Click to see the list of games made in the past.

Shovel Knight is the indie character that is the one that has appeared in many indie games and of course as an Assist Trophy for Smash Ultimate. Yacht Club is a small company built by past WF employees and made a name for themselves. Though it does question, where will they go after Shovel Knight is done?

Touhou started back in 1996 as a very difficult bullet hell game for the PC, which would later become a very popular franchise series to the world.

Undertale was made by the inspiration of the Mother series (which sadly still doesn't have Mother 3 officially not ported to the west) all done by Toby Fox.

Honestly, while I haven't play Hollow Knight yet, I do see what the creators of the series has shown for the creation they have done with the Metroidvania system and the art.

Having a Budget regarding if its Big or Small, doesn't determine the quality of how the game should be done. Give the best of what it can fully offer rather then a half-baked one with........various results.

Here is a Shantae Artwork for tonight.
Artist: Stoic Seraphim
D-1SgzPXkAAs9sY.jpeg

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Man the Japanese Shantae fandom has jumped on the Smash train.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, it's a wonder that we didn't have anything like this happen recently.

Things have been mostly dead in this department once E3 blew over.

Shovel Knight is the indie character that is the one that has appeared in many indie games and of course as an Assist Trophy for Smash Ultimate. Yacht Club is a small company built by past WF employees and made a name for themselves. Though it does question, where will they go after Shovel Knight is done?
Anywhere that doesn't involve digging the company's grave, hopefully. It feels like YCG weren't entirely prepared to actually maintain their company with more than one game.

On the topic of "IPs deserving to get in" I can agree that there isn't any that actually "deserves" to get in. All that matters is that series can earn the privilege of entering Smash's brawlhalla when they get enough earnest love and support from their fans.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Hope to see something about shantae 5 soon when WF is ready to show more. Also, any character has the potential to join smash (not all though), as long Sakurai and Nintendo can see what they can do with him or her by the help of support by the fans and possibly the creator(s).

Also, here is a shantae artwork for tonight.
Artist: Nikoyosan
Shantae_trigger_ver._by_nikoyosan.jpg

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I would really like that windows isn't just a reference but a hint for her in Smash that would be great but I don't think it will be the case

Dukefire

Smash Master
I would really like that windows isn't just a reference but a hint for her in Smash that would be great but I don't think it will be the case
They might get her in on a different note and don't forget that the animation feels incomplete. Again, the future is still uncertain with the fog not clearing up yet. So, let's wait it out for a little longer.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
It's kind of weird that WayForward themselves are silent on the Window thing. If only they just said "this is a reference to previous Shantae games" then that would be the end of it. But instead they kept silent on the matter. As proven by Microsoft's head an NDA doesn't really prevent someone from talking about wanting a character in Smash.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
It's kind of weird that WayForward themselves are silent on the Window thing. If only they just said "this is a reference to previous Shantae games" then that would be the end of it. But instead they kept silent on the matter. As proven by Microsoft's head an NDA doesn't really prevent someone from talking about wanting a character in Smash.
That window is getting them publicity. Publicity means more possible consumers. Shooting it down wouldn’t benefit them.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
That window is getting them publicity. Publicity means more possible consumers. Shooting it down wouldn’t benefit them.
Pretty much this and that they are in a position where nothing they say would help. They could deny outright and that would get people bummed and possibly kill hype for 5 for some fans, or they could make a pr statement "nothing to announce..." that people would then think was confirmation and then if she wasn;t it they would throw back in WF's face.

So either she is in and then they can't say anything, or she isn't, but they still cant really say anything for fear of upsetting fans and possibly hurting a big release of theirs (Shantae 5 is a big deal after all since last time they needed to crowd-fund. If this game doesn't so well people could say that they just don't have what it takes to pull in the big numbers without Kickstarter ventures)

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I don’t think this means she is in, honestly. She’s already a spirit.
I do think the Spirit part doesn't count her out. Sakurai builds the games to be complete before DLC. There is nothing to say his mind on a character wouldn't change between the time of development of the main game and the time it came to think about DLC.

I think the Mewtwo and Lucas trophies from 4 are evidence of that. In making the games he had no intent on including them as fighters and made the trophies, but as the games wrapped up and the possibility of DLC came around, he changed his mind.

It's possible that when Ultimate started development he didn't see enough in Shantae or didn't see enough demand, but then after the game was done he saw otherwise.

Or he might have thought she would be a good fighter, but felt stronger about other characters which gave them priority so Shantae got shelved, then when more dev time opened up for DLC she might have been reconsidered.

Or it's possible that she will just remain a spirit.

Simply put, being a spirit doesn't really confirm anything as whatever his opinion was when including her as a spirit could have changed.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I
Doesn't mean we can give up hope. Look at the Geno thread. Hes a spirit, yet there's still hope for Spirits to turn into playable charatcers. Sakurai never disconfirmed anything about Spirits cant be playable. It's so far a fan rule.
I do think the Spirit part doesn't count her out. Sakurai builds the games to be complete before DLC. There is nothing to say his mind on a character wouldn't change between the time of development of the main game and the time it came to think about DLC.

I think the Mewtwo and Lucas trophies from 4 are evidence of that. In making the games he had no intent on including them as fighters and made the trophies, but as the games wrapped up and the possibility of DLC came around, he changed his mind.

It's possible that when Ultimate started development he didn't see enough in Shantae or didn't see enough demand, but then after the game was done he saw otherwise.

Or he might have thought she would be a good fighter, but felt stronger about other characters which gave them priority so Shantae got shelved, then when more dev time opened up for DLC she might have been reconsidered.

Or it's possible that she will just remain a spirit.

Simply put, being a spirit doesn't really confirm anything as whatever his opinion was when including her as a spirit could have changed.
He's right. I mean it's not like Sakurai ever broke away from doing things traditionally to surprise people! That would be absurd!
Woah lads I never said this de-confirms her. I’m still hoping she’s in too. All I’m saying is that her being a spirit is something we should consider. Never once did I say that she isn’t getting in the game.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Woah lads I never said this de-confirms her. I’m still hoping she’s in too. All I’m saying is that her being a spirit is something we should consider. Never once did I say that she isn’t getting in the game.
I know, I'm just saying I've considered it and see no reason to assume one way or the other. Her being a spirit could be evidence of either mindset so bringing it up doesn't really further the discussion as it's really just a fact with no baring on the final result.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I know, I'm just saying I've considered it and see no reason to assume one way or the other. Her being a spirit could be evidence of either mindset so bringing it up doesn't really further the discussion as it's really just a fact with no baring on the final result.
Thing is it would cause inconsistencies. That hasn’t really stopped characters like Mewtwo or Lucas from making it into Smash 4’s roster, though.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, the spirits talk and the No Indie in Smash fan rule are the two blockades that stop Shantae from Advancing further. Also, Sakurai and Nintendo are the final checkpoint before a character can be a fighter regarding relevancy, popularity, spirits and history.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Again, the spirits talk and the No Indie in Smash fan rule are the two blockades that stop Shantae from Advancing further. Also, Sakurai and Nintendo are the final checkpoint before a character can be a fighter regarding relevancy, popularity, spirits and history.
Since when did being an Indie character guarantee that you won’t get a spot on the roster?

Top Bottom