• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Make Risky Boots a fighter too.
Yup! Unfortunately third parties only seem to get one unique series character in at most for the moment (by that I mean per series, and those that aren't echoes), so I'd honestly be shocked if she came as a package deal with Shantae from the word "Ret-2-go!".

So, what I'm saying is, there better be a lot of folks backing her up (and Captain Syrup) for Smash 6.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm a big fan of Studio Trigger's work so I'm pleased to see that they made the intro for Shantae 5. Looks purdy neato...although, I do think it could stand to be a little longer. Hopefully that isn't the full thing and WayForward is saving the rest for later.

...Watching it reminded me that I still need to finish Pirate's Curse and start up Half-Genie Hero someday.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I'm a big fan of Studio Trigger's work so I'm pleased to see that they made the intro for Shantae 5. Looks purdy neato...although, I do think it could stand to be a little longer. Hopefully that isn't the full thing and WayForward is saving the rest for later.

...Watching it reminded me that I still need to finish Pirate's Curse and start up Half-Genie Hero someday.
I think it's safe to assume it will be longer. The rhythm shifts rather noticeably during the final line "Cause I'm Shantae" which would normally be a musical faux pas unless it was done to break an established pattern. As in two verses where the rhythm is unbroken, and then the final time when it is broken to emphasize the end of the song.

Tho we might not get a full song, I'm sure we will get a longer animation. It wouldn't make much sense to approach such a notable animation studio and commission them for just half a minute of work.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Make Risky Boots a fighter too.
While that would be cool, I doubt she would come anytime soon after Shantae, who still needs to get in.
I think the only chance you're gonna find Risky in-game is if she's part of Shantae's Final Smash. Make it like Luigi's Negative Zone in Brawl but anyone caught in it will trigger a cutscene where they belly dance with Shantae who gets out of the way seeing Risky from afar firing cannon rounds at them

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
I could use this logic for every company ever that has been asked this question. Honestly they probably just don't care too much and would rather answer questions that prompt more than a "no." I could be wrong though.
As a company they benefit more from people creating theories, making videos, and submitting posts. More people get interested in Shantae and buy their games. In the end, they would love Shantae in smash, but the speculation crowd draws more fans than if they were to outright say no. So, I don't think we will know until she's revealed or the last pass is. It'll be a long 7 months for people clinging to this theory.

Dukefire

Smash Master
While the waiting will be long, just don't lose your wayforward.

Also, Nintendo may have another Nintendo Direct in August before fall starts. Usually, they hold one every two months, so it doesn't seem too long if short stops are there as breaks.

Plus here is a better look for Squid Barron in the Tinkerbats Army.
Screenshot_20190706-221643_Video Player.jpg

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Don't recall seeing this here but could be mistaken.
I love seeing so many Eastern fans embracing Shantae. Always nice to have sources to point at when people go on about "not popular in Japan"

Last edited by a moderator:

KatKit

Smash Lord
That animated opening got me hype, and I'm glad Shantae is getting more exposure. Shantae 5 will be my first day 1 buy for the series; better late than never.

On an unrelated note, Risky Boots is an old school Saturday morning cartoon villainess and I love it (and her long, petty list of things that she dislikes is comical). I wish Smash had more characters that fit that archetype (heck, or more villainesses in general).

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
As a company they benefit more from people creating theories, making videos, and submitting posts. More people get interested in Shantae and buy their games. In the end, they would love Shantae in smash, but the speculation crowd draws more fans than if they were to outright say no. So, I don't think we will know until she's revealed or the last pass is. It'll be a long 7 months for people clinging to this theory.
This too. Even if it ends up being a coincidence, it still gets them more publicity.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It'll be a long 7 months for people clinging to this theory.
Perhaps even longer, if Nintendo's willing to have more DLC after person 5 and we still don't know the truth by then. Not that I mind.

kCxWGSH.gif

I love seeing so many Eastern fans embracing Shantae. Always nice to have sources to point at when people go on about "not popular in Japan"
Indeed, especially considering that poor SK just can't seem to make a splash over there. The DLC and complete package delay didn't help.

There is much more appeal to someone with so much life and groove to them, when they're not Master Chief.

While the waiting will be long, just don't lose your wayforward.

Also, Nintendo may have another Nintendo Direct in August before fall starts. Usually, they hold one every two months, so it doesn't seem too long if short stops are there as breaks.

Plus here is a better look for Squid Barron in the Tinkerbats Army.
Sneaky sneaky, ol' squid guts has come a long way.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
On an unrelated note, Risky Boots is an old school Saturday morning cartoon villainess and I love it (and her long, petty list of things that she dislikes is comical). I wish Smash had more characters that fit that archetype (heck, or more villainesses in general).

Smash needs more women, villains, and female villains, yes. Risky is such a fit for that, it HURTS!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That animated opening got me hype, and I'm glad Shantae is getting more exposure. Shantae 5 will be my first day 1 buy for the series; better late than never.

Smash needs more women, villains, and female villains, yes. Risky is such a fit for that, it HURTS!
Incidentally, she fits the Doronjo mold like a glove, the only things she's missing are two lackeys at her side, one that's tall and one that's bulky.

I fully endorse women villainesses for Smash, and I wish they got more love, more often.

D19QoujWsAA5QHe.png

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Incidentally, she fits the Doronjo mold like a glove, the only things she's missing are two lackeys at her side, one that's tall and one that's bulky.

I fully endorse women villainesses for Smash, and I wish they got more love, more often.

Agreed, I wish more female villains were Smash worthy.
609A44F7-A9C8-429F-A9B2-3E857EEFD908.jpeg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Here’s a Shantae pic for today:

Hope you’re okay with a redesign that censors her cleavage considerably...
Assuming we even get Hyrule Warriors content in the first place (we don't even have spirits, as it stands), and Linkle and Cia would still have to get in before her.

At least Syrup and Coyle are actually possible.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'm just sayin', man. At least I don't fear the censorship boogieman. :drshrug:

View attachment 230351

So, uh, anyone else wanting to bring up specific villainesses? Incidentally the Medusa thread's active as we speak.
I have an example. Maybe. I say maybe because her game hasn't been released yet and she has been portrayed as nice, but many are suspecting she is up to no good. The character in question is Kasumi from P5R, who is currently the character taking up my icon.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I have an example. Maybe. I say maybe because her game hasn't been released yet and she has been portrayed as nice, but many are suspecting she is up to no good. The character in question is Kasumi from P5R, who is currently the character taking up my icon.
People think the same about Edelgard, but fortunately we won't have long to wait for her game to get out.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Oh yeah, three houses is coming at the end of the month.

However for Smash DLC, the future is always uncertain regarding if one can try to change it. So, lets see how things unfold.
Screenshot_20190706-104433_YouTube.jpg

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
That would be great if we have a female antagonist but I don't think it will happen to be fair I don't think we'll get any antagonist at all sadly... But if we can get Shantae that would be cool so I would not complaining about not having a female antagonist.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
That would be great if we have a female antagonist but I don't think it will happen to be fair I don't think we'll get any antagonist at all sadly... But if we can get Shantae that would be cool so I would not complaining about not having a female antagonist.
I’d say the most likely antagonist characters we’d get in the pack are Heihachi or Nightmare, both Namco reps.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure we were saying that we're hoping for a female antagonist next Smash, not the pass/future Ultimate DLC. Not that desperate.

I’d say the most likely antagonist characters we’d get in the pack are Heihachi or Nightmare, both Namco reps.
And the former had his chances reduced, seeing as his Japanese VA died right after doing Incineroar for Smash, and they won't feel like finding a successor just yet. The Pac-cameo is probably the most we're going to get for this time around.

No idea how likely Nightmare is at all though. Somehow, I can't help but feel like Bamco characters won't be a priority once again.

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I don't think either of them is likely to be honest I think if we get a bamco rep it would be a tekken protag or a tales of one. Or maybe Digimon but I don't see it happening even though it would be great to have agumon vs Pikachu. As for Shantae I would say her chances are low but I hope I'm wrong.

Dukefire

Smash Master
While there are characters being iconic, you have to think like Sakurai on his ideas.

Sure they are popular and iconic, but what does Sakurai see is good enough to have a spot to fight in Smash Ultimate.

The Hero: for the eastern fans and is the Grandfather of RPG games that started it all
Banjo-Kazooie: Western Fans and held a very important piece of Gaming History with Nintendo before the seperation
Joker: the Main Menu of Ultimate was inspired off of it and Persona 5 was popular. So, he entered with Sakurai Approval.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also, one has to consider options in regards to certain series.

For Monster Hunter, for instance, is it better to have it represented by a character, or the monsters, the series' main draw? He went with the latter, since people like the series more for its setting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm pretty sure we were saying that we're hoping for a female antagonist next Smash, not the pass/future Ultimate DLC. Not that desperate.

And the former had his chances reduced, seeing as his Japanese VA died right after doing Incineroar for Smash, and they won't feel like finding a successor just yet. The Pac-cameo is probably the most we're going to get for this time around.

No idea how likely Nightmare is at all though. Somehow, I can't help but feel like Bamco characters won't be a priority once again.
I'm not sure 3D fighting game characters can transition too well into Smash. Playstation All-Stars at least had an extra attack button and less focus on ring-outs (and thus less need for recovery moves). I don't see an easy way to incorporate their vast movesets, unlike the tap/hold of the shotos filling in for the light/medium/heavy inputs of Street Fighter.

And I still maintain Reiji would be the best pick that is both fitting and also quite the surprise.

People think the same about Edelgard, but fortunately we won't have long to wait for her game to get out.
Not much of a secret there, there's war between the three powers after the time-skip so if you don't support Edelgard's that makes her an antagonist by default, at least for a while.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm not sure 3D fighting game characters can transition too well into Smash. Playstation All-Stars at least had an extra attack button and less focus on ring-outs (and thus less need for recovery moves). I don't see an easy way to incorporate their vast movesets, unlike the tap/hold of the shotos filling in for the light/medium/heavy inputs of Street Fighter.

And I still maintain Reiji would be the best pick that is both fitting and also quite the surprise.
Incidentally, Sakurai did mention years ago how difficult it would be to adapt Heihachi. He's as much of a challenge as Ridley to implement, but even then the only obstacle Ridley had was adjusting his size in a way that wouldn't tax the programmers.

Dukefire

Smash Master

For Monster Hunter, for instance, is it better to have it represented by a character, or the monsters, the series' main draw? He went with the latter, since people like the series more for its setting.
Hence why Rathalos was there to represent the Monster Hunter series due to him being the most recognizable.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Except we don't have much of a setting...

Seriously, this was pretty much the argument for Animal Crossing representation in Brawl, and it still had a proper stage and full song selection (for the time). I don't buy a super-flat pastiche of the Ancestral Steppe devoid of life, two songs and one monster, even if it is the mascot, representing the series as a whole.

...I wonder if Shantae could disguide herself as a Rathian in a potential double reveal for both franchises?

Last edited:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Incidentally, Sakurai did mention years ago how difficult it would be to adapt Heihachi. He's as much of a challenge as Ridley to implement, but even then the only obstacle Ridley had was adjusting his size in a way that wouldn't tax the programmers.
Really? I did not know that about Heihachi. I thought since Ryu, it wouldn't be that difficult. Guess I was wrong.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Except we don't have much of a setting...

Seriously, this was pretty much the argument for Animal Crossing representation in Brawl, and it still had a proper stage and full song selection (for the time). I don't buy a super-flat pastiche of the Ancestral Steppe devoid of life, two songs and one monster, even if it is the mascot, representing the series as a whole.

...I wonder if Shantae could disguide herself as a Rathian in a potential double reveal for both franchises?
Eh, seeing as the Hunter got a Mii costume, I doubt there'd be an immediate promotion like that for the same game.

Besides, there's only so many Capcom properties people want in here, there can't possibly be a consensus. For some reason MH couldn't get a character, so this is the most they had time to do for the moment (especially considering that a third party still had to be negotiated just for the few things we got in here).

Anyway, since you brought up a Banpresto character earlier, there is a more popular one who comes to mind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom