• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
How many here think Shantae could be a final reveal? I will admit I personally just dont see as final reveal worthy sadly. She's hype inducing but not enough in my eyes to be the final reveal of this Fighter Pass.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
How many here think Shantae could be a final reveal? I will admit I personally just dont see as final reveal worthy sadly. She's hype inducing but not enough in my eyes to be the final reveal of this Fighter Pass.
In general I don't think Shantae is a very likely reveal for this season's fighter pass given that she is already a spirit in the game and the running theme seems to be big names from 3rd party companies. A hypothetical season 2 fighter's pass however is anyone's game, and Shantae would be incredibly hype as the first indie character in Smash. Given how much of a goldmine Smash is for Nintendo I think a fighter's pass season 2 is very likely.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Random piece of Trivia, because Banjo is British, Shantae would still be the first American 3rd party character if playable.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
I think its more important on WHEN the announcements are rather then the order they were,

E3 is made for the massive Blow everyone's mind announcements, and Banjo and DQ Hero,

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I think its more important on WHEN the announcements are rather then the order they were,

E3 is made for the massive Blow everyone's mind announcements, and Banjo and DQ Hero,
Hmm I suppose you're right.

zferolie

Smash Hero
as ProtoTwi ProtoTwi said, it depends on where they are announcing the characters. Final spot is probably going to be shown at the Video game awards, and they probably would show off someone massive. I can see Shantae maybe going there, its possible.

Spot 4 is going to be most likely shown during the September direct. IF it is shantae though, they could announce it at the Indie Direct in august, just to throw everyone off, but don't get your hopes up for that.

I do feel like we will get at least 1 female fighter. it would make sense. Who that would be is anyones guess. Shantae is one of the few big third party females that could be in. Reimu, Lara Croft, and others could work as well.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
as ProtoTwi ProtoTwi said, it depends on where they are announcing the characters. Final spot is probably going to be shown at the Video game awards, and they probably would show off someone massive. I can see Shantae maybe going there, its possible.

Spot 4 is going to be most likely shown during the September direct. IF it is shantae though, they could announce it at the Indie Direct in august, just to throw everyone off, but don't get your hopes up for that.

I do feel like we will get at least 1 female fighter. it would make sense. Who that would be is anyones guess. Shantae is one of the few big third party females that could be in. Reimu, Lara Croft, and others could work as well.
If I may split hairs for a minute, Kazooie could count as the Fighter Pass's female fighter as she does the majority of the combat work for the Ber and Bord duo

Dukefire

Smash Master
How Characters are presented in Smash Ultimate DLC. It has to have three factors.

1. Timing
2. Relevancy
3. Requests

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd see her as second to last at most, depending on whether we get more than one pass.

If I may split hairs for a minute, Kazooie could count as the Fighter Pass's female fighter as she does the majority of the combat work for the Ber and Bord duo
Still love the fact that one half of the duo is Ultimate's first female DLC character, considering that both Joker and Hero had female character alt opportunities get passed over.

zferolie

Smash Hero
One could go that route, but i think they would add a female only fighter

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
How Characters are presented in Smash Ultimate DLC. It has to have three factors.

1. Timing
2. Relevancy
3. Requests
Shantae has timing with her new game
Has requests arguably,
and relevancy
the question is what quantity and quality of all three is required?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Shantae has timing with her new game
Has requests arguably,
and relevancy
the question is what quantity and quality of all three is required?
Yeah, pretty much.

Also, a artwork from Kira Kira
D84zvgcXYAArhxd.jpeg

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't be surprised if the last DLC is ironically a globally-mediocre pick. I'm not sure who'd hit harder than Banjo-Kazooie over here in the West anyway.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Bayonetta wasn't that hype inducing for Smash 4's last reveal, so I expect to see someone with a similar hype level as hers for Ultimate's last character. I think Shantae could be this game's Bayonetta.

1. Timing
2. Relevancy
3. Requests
Look at that! Shantae checks all 3 boxs. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if the last DLC is ironically a globally-mediocre pick. I'm not sure who'd hit harder than Banjo-Kazooie over here in the West anyway.
Crash Bandicoot or Sora though Sora has already been deconfirmed.

Tomorrow is Indie Day 2019 for E3.
I highly doubt Shantae would be revealed for Smash there since I think it's too early for them to reveal fighter number 4 yet since Hero and Banjo & Kazooie ain't going to be available until the Summer and Fall.

Thinking they might have a Shantae 5 trailer?
WayForward said they ain't showing up at E3 so I doubt it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Whoever's last in the current pass, I wouldn't be mad. They could toss in the Pong paddle for all I care, and it wouldn't deter my joy.

There's still some mysteries to keep us guessing, like the datamined 29 ID slots, the datamined 16 WOL character slots, and whether someone slipped up with that Kirby screenshot in the last Nindies. Things won't be clear cut for a long time, and it couldn't be a more exciting time for me.

kCxWGSH.gif

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The problem I see with Crash is being somewhat of a co-mascot with Spyro. You can't argue against the latter with the lack of his trilogy on Switch anymore, and if you include one but not the other, the "snubbed" fanbase will be outraged. And I really don't see the last two slots being dedicated to characters known primarily for being with Sony (which is considerably less friendly than Microsoft with competitors these days), unlike Banjo-Kazooie.

Further Square-Enix reps like Sora also look very unlikely at this point.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Whoever's last in the current pass, I wouldn't be mad. They could toss in the Pong paddle for all I care, and it wouldn't deter my joy.

There's still some mysteries to keep us guessing, like the datamined 29 ID slots, the datamined 16 WOL character slots, and whether someone slipped up with that Kirby screenshot in the last Nindies. Things won't be clear cut for a long time, and it couldn't be a more exciting time for me.

View attachment 227780
Same here. Now that I know Banjo & Kazooie are in the Season Pass, I really wouldn't care that much on who else is in it. But Shantae would make me a happy, happy boi if she is in the Pass as well.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi

Im basically only rooting for Shantae, but im totally fine with whoever they add,

And I wouldn't put too much stock in to WOL/ID slots, in the world of modern games its not like these "Slots" are finite, Nintendo could conceivably always add more if needed. or they will never bother using them all, Unused space and leftovers arent anything crazy to be left in a code base.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
You know, thinking about release times makes me wonder... Hero is the next one releasing, given a "summer" window. Considering how development seems to run, I think it's safe to assume he might as well be pushed to the end of August. That sets him a month before the switch release of DQ11. Banjo has the "fall" window, so the character after him won't release until December at the earliest.

Now, we haven't heard much of anything about Shantae 5 (which could change tomorrow) but as of now we know they are aiming for this year. Since we don't have a concrete date, that makes me feel it is likely going to be toward the end of the year (under the assumption that if it was coming sooner they would have already told us more about the game to get the excitement and hype ready)

So, the release of Shantae 5 could be close to the time that the 4 spot in DLC is expected to be released.

*put tin foil on* Maybe that tweet of "4 of 5" wasn't a typo after all...

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Howdy guys, It's great to be back again after leaving this thread for awhile and all. Now that one of my top 3 has made it in with Banjo and Kazooie, I now will hope dearly for Shantae to join the fight more than ever. I have supported her since the ballot days and would love her to make the jump to smash bros as our first indie rep! I cannot wait to see what the next two slots are for dlc and hopefully another dlc wave will come if Shantae ain't in the fighters pass. Lets all work together to get our word out for her! Banjo for me avenged Geno and Isaac not being in the game yet, so give the half genie girl a chance Sakurai!

zferolie

Smash Hero
So been thinking... What some people on the Hero forum are saying is true. Its a shame we didn't get any of the female alts for any of them, when Sakurai useally is very good at including female alts. I guess he couldn't find 8 heroes for each character spot, and only having some have recolors may have been weird?

So some people want to see an echo fighting of Hero: Heroine. Female Erdrick, Dragon Quest 9 Female Alt, dragon quest 4 female alt, and .. well you could use dragon quest 10, though you are only human for a bit at the beginning... guess it would be hard to have 4 female alts. still some people want it.

I honestly wouldn't mind Sakurai in the future giving us a free or cheap Echo Pack. Heroine, Ms pac Man, Impa, Medusa, and Black Shadow/Octolings.

You know, thinking about release times makes me wonder... Hero is the next one releasing, given a "summer" window. Considering how development seems to run, I think it's safe to assume he might as well be pushed to the end of August. That sets him a month before the switch release of DQ11. Banjo has the "fall" window, so the character after him won't release until December at the earliest.

Now, we haven't heard much of anything about Shantae 5 (which could change tomorrow) but as of now we know they are aiming for this year. Since we don't have a concrete date, that makes me feel it is likely going to be toward the end of the year (under the assumption that if it was coming sooner they would have already told us more about the game to get the excitement and hype ready)

So, the release of Shantae 5 could be close to the time that the 4 spot in DLC is expected to be released.

*put tin foil on* Maybe that tweet of "4 of 5" wasn't a typo after all...
Ehh, i mean, August is still Summer yes, but December is winter, not fall. I still think Hero is July, Banjo is September/October, 4 is December, 5 is febuary/March.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So been thinking... What some people on the Hero forum are saying is true. Its a shame we didn't get any of the female alts for any of them, when Sakurai useally is very good at including female alts. I guess he couldn't find 8 heroes for each character spot, and only having some have recolors may have been weird?

So some people want to see an echo fighting of Hero: Heroine. Female Erdrick, Dragon Quest 9 Female Alt, dragon quest 4 female alt, and .. well you could use dragon quest 10, though you are only human for a bit at the beginning... guess it would be hard to have 4 female alts. still some people want it.

I honestly wouldn't mind Sakurai in the future giving us a free or cheap Echo Pack. Heroine, Ms pac Man, Impa, Medusa, and Black Shadow/Octolings.

Ehh, i mean, August is still Summer yes, but December is winter, not fall. I still think Hero is July, Banjo is September/October, 4 is December, 5 is febuary/March.
Reread what I said. I was saying that the SOONEST the 4th could show up is December. As in Banjo has to be out before November is done to still release in fall. So if SHantae 5 is releasing toward the end of the year, then that lines her up with when the 4th Character is expected.

Also I would so be down for an echo pack, or even some alt characters/additional skins (Mrs Pac and Heroine could easily be Alph style alts. And I would gladly pay to get the actual Fierce Deity costume back, or the correct shiny colors for the pokemon)

zferolie

Smash Hero
Reread what I said. I was saying that the SOONEST the 4th could show up is December. As in Banjo has to be out before November is done to still release in fall. So if SHantae 5 is releasing toward the end of the year, then that lines her up with when the 4th Character is expected.

Also I would so be down for an echo pack, or even some alt characters/additional skins (Mrs Pac and Heroine could easily be Alph style alts. And I would gladly pay to get the actual Fierce Deity costume back, or the correct shiny colors for the pokemon)
Ah gotcha, my bad.

and yeah, i think an alt pack would be nice too, just wonder if sakurai would do that add a 1-2 alts for some or maybe 1 for everyone.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Ah gotcha, my bad.

and yeah, i think an alt pack would be nice too, just wonder if sakurai would do that add a 1-2 alts for some or maybe 1 for everyone.
Maybe ad a feature in the options for Alt selection so every character would still have 8 alts to cycle through in the character select screen.

Like if they released the proper Fierce Deity you could go into settings and remove the Fierce Shorts alt out and put the new one in. That way people would still only shift through 8 choices when selecting their character. Also this way all characters would still function the same on the select screen regardless if they got new alts or not.

Dukefire

Smash Master

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
While its not much, but someone posted a theory about Shantae's possible inclusion down the line regarding the Spirits Talk.
Nothing of note.
When you get in to anything legal
Without seeing the contract/agreement we can't know what the stipulations are.

But my guess would be Matt and WF's agreement with Nintendo only requires Nintendo them to credit the copyright owners of shantae for the end credits.

If your a more pronounced character in smash (like the fighters) I'm sure you get to be in the copyright crew at the end of promotional materials.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
While its not much, but someone posted a theory about Shantae's possible inclusion down the line regarding the Spirits Talk.
I'm afraid this theory doesn't really work since as some replies have mentioned, Ubisoft and Yacht Club Games have Spirits too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Nothing of note.
When you get in to anything legal
Without seeing the contract/agreement we can't know what the stipulations are.

But my guess would be Matt and WF's agreement with Nintendo only requires Nintendo them to credit the copyright owners of shantae for the end credits.

If your a more pronounced character in smash (like the fighters) I'm sure you get to be in the copyright crew at the end of promotional materials.
Yeah, nothing can be certain of who is in Smash Ultimate with Nintendo having to take every precautions to avoid spoilers.

Still, there is some hope left with two slots remaining.

Top Bottom