• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Bad news everyone, Breloom recently died. The Social's currently mourning.
I did some digging. Tuberculosis... son of a mother duck. :’(
Well, (raises drinking glass) here’s to you, Brelooming. I hardly knew ye, but a young soul taken too soon is always a horrible feeling. I think we all need a little music to speak our feelings in a time like this.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Wayforward please, all I want to see is what Rotty's design is like in Shantae 5. ;p
We will see soon in 3 weeks at E3. They won't keep the fans hanging.

Though I do predict that they may mix her art style and possibly the rest of the old crew with the GBC and Half Genie Hero like Shantae.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Guess it might be that time again to post the initial start for the countdown clock.

20 Days Remaining to E3

Screenshot_20190523-170727_YouTube.jpg

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
So guys, it has been awhile. What is new in our fight to see Shantae as a DLC character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Here is another shantae artwork and its meancing......

Also, speculation videos and posts for Fighters Pass DLC are increasing. Better start on getting prepared with 3 weeks remaining on the clock.

Plus, hope to see what Shantae 5 has to offer on its gameplay demo.
View attachment 223337
You know, I have to wonder, what's the reasoning with this logo having the little scuffs and scrapes that it does? Is it to evoke the ripe old age the franchise has managed to live for, or to symbolize the struggle of rising from cult status to indie stardom?

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
You know, I have to wonder, what's the reasoning with this logo having the little scuffs and scrapes that it does? Is it to evoke the ripe old age the franchise has managed to live for, or to symbolize the struggle of rising from cult status to indie stardom?
Or maybe it is nothing more than just another way to give the logo a 3D depth and texture other than shimmering metal? Or is there a storytelling implication like the Jurassic Park sequels (Jurassic World notwithstanding)? Make of that what you will.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Or maybe it is nothing more than just another way to give the logo a 3D depth and texture other than shimmering metal? Or is there a storytelling implication like the Jurassic Park sequels (Jurassic World notwithstanding)? Make of that what you will.
I don't know, but now I kind of want to see a Shantae similarly battle-scarred. She's been through a lot.

The thing is though, that old logo was much closer in capturing Shantae's character. Predominantly red clothing with gold accessories (or that of a genie lamp).

zferolie

Smash Hero
A nice video on how thinking characters being added to just promote upcoming game is nothow sakurai will do things. Really how characters that are brand new from upcoming games(in this examplke pokemon) most like isn't happening

Dukefire

Smash Master
A nice video on how thinking characters being added to just promote upcoming game is nothow sakurai will do things. Really how characters that are brand new from upcoming games(in this examplke pokemon) most like isn't happening

Sometimes being a new edition to world to enjoy doesn't mean you will have a chance to join Smash Ultimate.

You'll just have to grow for sometime before they consider if you can make the cut to being in the Smash Bros Hall of Fame.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes being a new edition to world to enjoy doesn't mean you will have a chance to join Smash Ultimate.

You'll just have to grow for sometime before they consider if you can make the cut to being in the Smash Bros Hall of Fame.
Corrin: *Laughs hysterically while everyone else stares*

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Corrin: *Laughs hysterically while everyone else stares*
Ok, some were an exception. Still, promotion for a new game doesn't mean a high chance to be the next challenger.

Also, shantae art for today.
Artist: Ogebo Go

D68wqcZW0AgBU-v.jpeg

osby

Smash Obsessed
That's the thing, especially since they're the ones giving suggestions this time, at least for the current fighter pass. And saying no to them would have severe consequences.
"Severe consequences"? You are being overly dramatic, this is just a business.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
"Severe consequences"? You are being overly dramatic, this is just a business.
Well, it's still taboo to turn down someone's request in that domain in Japan. I mean, it's the same country where you could offend someone if you don't use the right formal terms.

Anyway, the point is, saying no to the big men would be unwise unless there's a pretty good reason. If Nintendo wants a Gen 8 Pokémon, for instance, we'll get a Gen 8 Pokémon.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

That Sakurai was upset about how he ended up getting Roy's personality wrong seems a bit weird when you look at the made-up persona of Captain Falcon and how his own appearances ended up making him more mild-mannered, yet Smash Falcon is the same as ever, initially exaggerating Bowser's monstrousness because he didn't like how he was becoming more comic relief, and to a lesser extent Mario being more serious and Luigi being more goofy. And, when they brought Roy back in 4, his dialogue didn't change even though they seemingly had a golden opportunity to rectify their mistake.

Well, it's still taboo to turn down someone's request in that domain in Japan. I mean, it's the same country where you could offend someone if you don't use the right formal terms.

Anyway, the point is, saying no to the big men would be unwise unless there's a pretty good reason. If Nintendo wants a Gen 8 Pokémon, for instance, we'll get a Gen 8 Pokémon.
Isn't Nintendo the one with more to lose if relations with Sakurai turn sour?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That Sakurai was upset about how he ended up getting Roy's personality wrong seems a bit weird when you look at the made-up persona of Captain Falcon and how his own appearances ended up making him more mild-mannered, yet Smash Falcon is the same as ever, initially exaggerating Bowser's monstrousness because he didn't like how he was becoming more comic relief, and to a lesser extent Mario being more serious and Luigi being more goofy. And, when they brought Roy back in 4, his dialogue didn't change even though they seemingly had a golden opportunity to rectify their mistake.

Isn't Nintendo the one with more to lose if relations with Sakurai turn sour?
That's likely true, yeah. I don't think there's a successor ready in line in the event that Sakurai storms off.

That said, Sakurai changed his mind about Roy, apparently. I guess you could say he applied the logic of "the versions of these characters in Smash are playthings, so they don't necessarily need to be the exact same as the real ones", reflecting how kids would have their own interpretation of their favorite toys.

Then again, I'm not sure how much grasp he has on FE in general, seeing how only one of its stages is a specific location.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Ok, some were an exception. Still, promotion for a new game doesn't mean a high chance to be the next challenger.

Also, shantae art for today.
Artist: Ogebo Go

View attachment 224249
That Shantae art really threw me off for a second because I thought they were doing the semi-transparent thing with her pants, but then I realized those were seams and not the shadows of her legs.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Correct me if I'm wrong, here are the two characters that made an appearence before their game was in stores.
Pokemon X & Y
Screenshot_20190525-072221_YouTube.jpg

Fire Emblem Fates
Screenshot_20190525-072411_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Correct me if I'm wrong, here are the two characters that made an appearence before their game was in stores.
Pokemon X & Y
View attachment 224342
Fire Emblem Fates
View attachment 224343
Nope to both.

X and Y were out when Greninja was announced.

Corrin was out in Japan, but not NA or I think EU?

Roy would be a better example here... or the Woolly World stage.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Pokemon X & Y
View attachment 224342
Fire Emblem Fates
View attachment 224343
HOLD IT!

Greninja's game was farther in development then Sword and Shield when he was chosen. Even if the 8th Gen rep was the final character in the Fighter Pass it would STILL be far too early

and with Corrin their game had already been in Japan for several months.

Nope to both.

X and Y were out when Greninja was announced.

Corrin was out in Japan, but not NA or I think EU?

Roy would be a better example here... or the Woolly World stage.
Even with Roy the only reason that happened the way it di was that his game ended up getting delayed and changes to it were made, given how his portrayal in Melee was hotblooded and the Roy in the actual FE game was calm and wellspoken its obvious changes to his character were done AFTER the concepts and ideas used by the Smash team were made.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Guess I wasn't looking too well on the game's status and history before I played them.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Pokemon X & Y
View attachment 224342
Fire Emblem Fates
View attachment 224343
As others have said, their games were out before they were put in smash. Corrin was JP only but still counts. Plus if you look at that video I linked. Sakurai was worried about Corrin, due to being so new, and also too many FE, but his team convinced him Corrin was worth it. Corrin does bring a super unique and fun gameplay style at least. plus Female Corrin best Corrin.

Hey guys what’s up?
She’s coming y’all!
God that looks amazing. I need to get her, and also put together my Rotty and Shantae figures. I am just nervous about ****ing up the glueing or something else. Luckily i don't need to paint.

Perfection. While I doubt this'll be pre-painted, it's still worthy of the pirate queen. Also love how they specifically refer to her as Shantae's rival.
These figures all come pre painted. All you need to do is put them together, which requires some glue, some sharp knifes, and time. I just keep putting off putting mine together as I am nervous, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Its sad news, but at least they can devote more time to their projects. Also, don't have to fight for attention since E3 will be crawling with a lot of upcoming games.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So WayForward confirmed that there will be no appearance by them at E3.
Does that mean, "they, themselves will not be having a presentation" or "None of their games will be featured at all"?

Because if it's the former, that means that we could still get some Shantae 5 news in another companies presentation. Apple Arcade got to reveal the game, they might have made a deal to show it off in their presentation. Or in the Nindies section of Nintendo's hour long presentation we might get a minute long trailer.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Does that mean, "they, themselves will not be having a presentation" or "None of their games will be featured at all"?

Because if it's the former, that means that we could still get some Shantae 5 news in another companies presentation. Apple Arcade got to reveal the game, they might have made a deal to show it off in their presentation. Or in the Nindies section of Nintendo's hour long presentation we might get a minute long trailer.
Oh yeah, even if the main company that holds the game isn't there, it doesn't mean they could show their games by another company displaying it.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, even if the main company that holds the game isn't there, it doesn't mean they could show their games by another company displaying it.
Did you mean "couldn't"? Or is my sleep deprivation saying hi.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As others have said, their games were out before they were put in smash. Corrin was JP only but still counts. Plus if you look at that video I linked. Sakurai was worried about Corrin, due to being so new, and also too many FE, but his team convinced him Corrin was worth it. Corrin does bring a super unique and fun gameplay style at least. plus Female Corrin best Corrin.

God that looks amazing. I need to get her, and also put together my Rotty and Shantae figures. I am just nervous about ****ing up the glueing or something else. Luckily i don't need to paint.

These figures all come pre painted. All you need to do is put them together, which requires some glue, some sharp knifes, and time. I just keep putting off putting mine together as I am nervous, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Yeah, if they went with an FE character this time, they would have to completely ignore Teacher, as he doesn't look like he even brings anything unique.

There are tiny clippers at the workshop room at our family house, I used those for things like Mega Man's Kotobuki figure, so this sounds pretty good to me.

Also, there's some super glue. All that remains is whenever I'll feel like placing an order for the fig.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I feel like Byleth (provided we do get an FE character as DLC) is going to be a repeat of Incineroar. People either sleep on him/her or don't want specifically don't want them. I don't think it's quite fair to say they wouldn't bring anything new to the table when we know so little about the character.

Any of the four could probably work fine, but it seems like many seem to overlook Byleth because they believe that they can only be realized as another Lord w/Sword with no unique traits. I don't really see anyone talking about Claude or Dimitri either.

Those Shantae/Risky figures look really nice, I need to get a shelf first though, I'd have no where to put them.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I feel like Byleth (provided we do get an FE character as DLC) is going to be a repeat of Incineroar. People either sleep on him/her or don't want specifically don't want them. I don't think it's quite fair to say they wouldn't bring anything new to the table when we know so little about the character.

Any of the four could probably work fine, but it seems like many seem to overlook Byleth because they believe that they can only be realized as another Lord w/Sword with no unique traits. I don't really see anyone talking about Claude or Dimitri either.

Those Shantae/Risky figures look really nice, I need to get a shelf first though, I'd have no where to put them.
Maybe it's a matter of not wanting another male/female avatar, or people are less interested in Byleth because he/she's silent and thus doesn't have as much of a defined personality for others to get behind, for better or worse. And while I do think the three house leaders are interchangeable in representing Three House's signature unit customization, people are probably more interested in Edelgard because she's a) a girl, and b) because people think axes are cooler, and I can kind of see why. You can do more with them compared to lances and bows; slash, smash, throw and even stab if it's a halberd. Slashing with a lance is limited so you're mostly just stabbing at different elevations (or throw them too, but not in as many directions as an axe can), similar deal with bows who mostly just shoot in different directions or sucker slash with a held arrow. Hawkeye in Marvel and Decidueye in Pokken have martial arts skills and avian features to supplement their archery.

Top Bottom