• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Then we're back on the NDA conspiracy train.

Dang it and we just fixed the brakes too xD
That's the best case. If they become silent again that means nintendo waited til this time to sign up a proper contract for her in dlc :)

zferolie

Smash Hero
I am here till we get hard confirmation of her status. Until then she has a chance. Its possible shantae got picked for this. Its possible matt did that tweet and was asked to remove it. Its possible they only just finalized shantae in the game.

Until wayfoward says she is not dlc then i will be here. Until then, lets have some fun, chat it up, and enjoy this game we got

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
And he also said that the selections are "now" complete, which tends to indicate that they were made quite recently ?
I really want to keep it positive

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice
That was about sakurai, not matt

We need to see if matt says anything from here on out.
Yeah. I'm just wondering when they'll announce the first 5 DLC characters. Would you say a week or two after the release?

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
im staying until shes deconfirmed, then ill be back for season 2. might make routine trips back for the free food and drinks.
And if the hype train does start back up, im making sure im getting a seat this time instead of tying myself to the back of the caboose.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah. I'm just wondering when they'll announce the first 5 DLC characters. Would you say a week or two after the release?
While it'd be nice to know all of them, they might just announce them as each gets close to ready, one at a time. So we may have to wait a long time to know all of them. I wouldnt mind knowing them all as soon as they're ready to tell us though.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well we know they will not choose characters that are either Mii Costumes or Assist Trophies so that narrows down the list of potential newcomers. Just hope it isn't the character from a game series that has YET to be on a Nintendo console(GranBlue Fantasy).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well we know they will not choose characters that are either Mii Costumes or Assist Trophies so that narrows down the list of potential newcomers. Just hope it isn't the character from a game series that has YET to be on a Nintendo console(GranBlue Fantasy).
They could be any character that Nintendo wants to either promote or make an association with (well the companies).
Though it would be nice if they looked on sakurai's list and were like, hey what if we put an indie in there? (shantae)

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I dunno. Think it's mighty interesting, even for good fanart, WayForward is retweeting stuff that have the #ShantaeForSmash in 'em.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
The logic behind making DLC would normally to LISTEN to people's requests don't you think ? And since Shantae seems to be among the most wanted ones...

Dukefire

Smash Master
Having to tread into Nintendo's territory with no map to travel safely does give a potential danger of running into the salt mine if the one we are looking for isn't the one.

Until then, lets wait patiently while having good SPIRITS towards the Game's Release in 31 DAYS

ARTIST: DFKJR
awaiting_the_call_by_dfkjr-dcf7is2.png

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I dunno. Think it's mighty interesting, even for good fanart, WayForward is retweeting stuff that have the #ShantaeForSmash in 'em.
Makes sense since they're no long under an NDA since the reveal trailer (of shantae as spirit)

The question is what's going to happen from now.

D

Deleted member

Idk if I should keep supporting her I mean she’s already a spirit so yeah. Try to stop me if you want

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
So its been about, what a week since the direct? What if, like verge said, 3 characters were already chosen for the dlc. And, stay with me here, the other 2 were intentionally left unpicked to see which characters the fans wanted most after the dlc was announced. With sakurai saying its all been chosen, means we may have had an influence. Up next in my insane brain, why mario is secretly a woman.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So its been about, what a week since the direct? What if, like verge said, 3 characters were already chosen for the dlc. And, stay with me here, the other 2 were intentionally left unpicked to see which characters the fans wanted most after the dlc was announced. With sakurai saying its all been chosen, means we may have had an influence. Up next in my insane brain, why mario is secretly a woman.
It does make me wonder if really the characters were 'recently' picked. Because he did say he was pretty sure on the SE character. So that one would've been decided for a long time.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The logic behind making DLC would normally to LISTEN to people's requests don't you think ? And since Shantae seems to be among the most wanted ones...
Well, that and sales numbers if you're the cynical type. We can only hope the traction Shantae has been getting in Japan will be enough to tip the scales in that regard, in her favour.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
It has indeed been fun, which is why I said I'll be back to campaign for our girl if we get season 2 confirmation, but at the same time I'd be lying if I said I'm not still extremely disheartened after that last Direct (character wise). This is the first Smash game where I didn't get a single one of my most wanted characters, I'm used to characters I want getting hit by the Assist Trophy hammer but usually there was at least one that I wanted that got in and I'd hoped it would be Shantae this time around (or even Shadow or Skull Kid, like wtf). The DLC was a last resort beacon of hope that I'm pretty sure Nintendo is gonna use to promote their latest triple A-listers, I can only hope the Rex Mii costume ends up being a red herring to throw people off while the real Rex is in development, or Square Enix is planning a Switch port of KH3 with Sora in Smash on the horizon. Sorry, but I can't campaign till 2020 when my spirits (get it?) have been beaten into the ground at every turn,
Does that mean you'll be back if you get one of yours?

zferolie

Smash Hero
I like that sort of tinfoil theories. It honestly could be possible. But we honestly wont know till we hear from wayforward or start seeing a few of the dlcs

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I dont know what kind of chances any character has now. but I guess we can just be chill and see what comes.

Prodis

Smash Rookie
I'm feeling quite optimistic, that explosion of Shantae fanart right after the direct is bound to catch Nintendo's eye.

Does that mean you'll be back if you get one of yours?
Nah, I'd feel like an asshole coming here all happy and **** if one of my most wanted characters were the chosen few picked by Nintendo. I should note that I won't stop retweeting Shantae art since I was already doing that before Smash so hopefully that helps

Verge has only called 1 character as a lock, A Square Enix rep that he refuses to mention for some reason. He said there's SOME form of Minecraft content but he's not sure it's Steve and he recently said that talks between Nintendo and Cygames have fallen through and Katalina won't be happening.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Verge has only called 1 character as a lock, A Square Enix rep that he refuses to mention for some reason.
Due to how Square dislikes any of there stuff being definitely leaked, its likely that they are feeding in a bunch of differing info around the company, which makes determining the rep difficult for insiders. Verg himself has stated that he has heard about 7 different names, 3 of which he hears more than others.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Vergeben's sources never said anything about Granblue/Katalina, he got that from the Hitagi guy.

He won't say who the SE character is because he has a list of 7 character names and saying even one of them can get his sources fired due to SE's extreme intolerance of leaks.

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
So the characters have already been decided....I guess now we just wait to see if WF clams up again.
I'm not crazy about the idea of Nintendo picking the DLC, all that means is more unpopular promotional picks getting in while fan demand (which includes shantae) gets ignored.
Then again it's not like Sakurai seems to be too into fan demand either considering what happened to Isaac and Shadow; basically I have no faith.

Last edited:

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Wait, hold up, Sakurai said that Nintendo has already decided the DLC characters? Dang, that was quick... Well, here's hoping that they picked Shantae.

I mean, you never know. Nintendo might recommend her because she's one of the most recognizable "Nindie" characters. Heck, the last time I checked the Wii U eShop her face was on the cover of the platformer section.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
We gotta hope now that Nintendo REALLLY tiok the ballot to heart and wants to truly show their support for the Nindie brand.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So the characters have already been decided....I guess now we just wait to see if WF clams up again.
I'm not crazy about the idea of Nintendo picking the DLC, all that means is more unpopular promotional picks getting in while fan demand (which includes shantae) gets ignored.
Then again it's not like Sakurai seems to be too into fan demand either considering what happened to Isaac and Shadow; basically I have no faith.
From the sounds of it, Nintendo did not outright decide what 5 character were gonna be DLC. Rather, they gave Sakurai a list of what he could do and picked 5 characters from it. Also, I feel like Sakurai is very in tune with what people want. Inklings, Ridley, K.Rool, Simon, and pretty much most of the rest were at least decently popular.

Edit: Kinda got :ultgreninja:'d.

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
im staying until shes deconfirmed, then ill be back for season 2. might make routine trips back for the free food and drinks.
And if the hype train does start back up, im making sure im getting a seat this time instead of tying myself to the back of the caboose.
The hype train isn't stopping... Our only destination is a Shantae Reveal Trailer. We have a resting car if you need to take a break from hyping, but sorry we don't stop. We're going to keep chugging along until we hear that sweet sweet "Ret-2-Go"

Top Bottom