• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member

Wait, hold up, Sakurai said that Nintendo has already decided the DLC characters? Dang, that was quick... Well, here's hoping that they picked Shantae.

I mean, you never know. Nintendo might recommend her because she's one of the most recognizable "Nindie" characters. Heck, the last time I checked the Wii U eShop her face was on the cover of the platformer section.
How would Nintendo pick her when Nintendo’s crown jewel of indies shovelware knight got AT,d???

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well it sounds like the only sure fire character is a SE rep. I am betting on Slime myself, but Geno and Sora are high chances.

Steve can go either way. Stage with Banjo, character and stage, or just a Mii costume.

Sadly sounds like Katalina may be out, but that does free up spaces for shantae.

With nintendo picking I think a retro pick may be a harder sell. So I still feel like we will get 3 characters of new franchises, and 2 from current ones, or one of them may not need a music icon. Then again, it could be all 5 get icons. we really cannot say. My list before still hold water, but I am not even sure on a microsoft character anymore... So slight change. Slime, Shantae, Pyra/Mythra, Rayman or Bandai character, FE three houses(I wouldn't mind that Ax girl)

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
Well im going to bed, but ill leave you with this:
What character would you like to see in smash, but almost no one else does?
For me, it would have to be sonic the werehog.
And with that i retire to a bunker.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Okay then, I have always had this funny idea for a new character, but never saw it possible.
...Then Piranha Plant happened.
So I am just gonna say it, I want to see a character that represents the Primid species.
Nintendo picked the DLC. Geno has no chance.
And why is that?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah most likely, unless Sakurai still had some say

Okay then, I have always had this funny idea for a new character, but never saw it possible.
...Then Piranha Plant happened.
So I am just gonna say it, I want to see a character that represents the Primid species.

And why is that?
From a business side, Sora and Slime bring in a ton more modern gaming reconition. Geno was a 1 game only character

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
And why is that?
Why would Nintendo pick an old character they don't even own who only the hardcore Smash fans will even recognize, much less care about? If Geno had any chance, it was from Sakurai caving to all the requests. Nintendo isn't going to bother with him.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So the characters have already been decided....I guess now we just wait to see if WF clams up again.
I'm not crazy about the idea of Nintendo picking the DLC, all that means is more unpopular promotional picks getting in while fan demand (which includes shantae) gets ignored.
Then again it's not like Sakurai seems to be too into fan demand either considering what happened to Isaac and Shadow; basically I have no faith.
I repeat: that demand got them in the game when they otherwise would have continued not being in it at all. Rebalancing such a large amount of veterans means the competition for playable newcomers was incredibly stiff.

After seeing everything that's in this game, and how Isaac went from assist to no-show and back again, I see how being playable in Smash is a privilege, not a right.

...I don't follow? They put him in Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, jumping through legal hoops with Square when they basically had no reason to, given his role. And given we've seen him in Ultimate (no matter what his actual role is), they've clearly done so again.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Why would Nintendo pick an old character they don't even own who only the hardcore Smash fans will even recognize, much less care about? If Geno had any chance, it was from Sakurai caving to all the requests. Nintendo isn't going to bother with him.
If they did not care about him because he was owned by someone else and is old, then why did they celebrate SMRPG's 22nd anniversary(A very odd number to celebrate on, by the way), mention the two characters they don't own, and while not even advertising the SNES Classic?
Edit: Forgot the S in SNES. My bad.

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Started to work on a little comic regarding Shantae and smash, I wonder what you guys think; It's still a little messy and I wondr if you guys think I should keep doing this ?
shantae comic.PNG

More action, characters ect are planned

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Started to work on a little comic regarding Shantae and smash, I wonder what you guys think; It's still a little messy and I wondr if you guys think I should keep doing this ?
View attachment 176360
More action, characters ect are planned
I do not know what this says about me, but I would totally unironically ship Sky x Waluigi. They both need a more successful love life.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Everyone's claiming Nintendo is evil and only out to use Smash to shove their newest games down our throat whether we like it or not.

...Meanwhile everyone's forgotten that could include something from Metroid Prime 4 because all this is secretly just an excuse for more Fire Emblem and Pokemon bashing.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Everyone's claiming Nintendo is evil and only out to use Smash to shove their newest games down our throat whether we like it or not.

...Meanwhile everyone's forgotten that could include something from Metroid Prime 4 because all this is secretly just an excuse for more Fire Emblem and Pokemon bashing.
Yup, Sylux is a character that exists after all.

A1Again

Smash Cadet
Django from Boktai on Gameboy Advance.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm actually excited to see which characters nintendo picks for dlc. Even if some are promotional or not. 5 more characters will make for quite a big nice roster.
Tho of course hoping for a second season too. And that's where there'd be even more chance for fan chatter.

It's interesting that sakurai said something about 'feedback', and I wonder if they'd consider doing another ballot for future seaons.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Well we kinda already got the lead antagonist for the Prime series in so unless they could predict who’d be popular I don’t know if that would go well.

And I don’t care about the bashing, I’ll still fully support Cynthia and I wouldn’t mind Edelgard if it meant a more unique FE representative.

D

Deleted member

Random statement:

I don’t hate Minecraft I just hate the fan base because of its cringiness. that what caused me to get riled up with Steve

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Hey guys just chiming in from the Isaac boards. We golden sun fans are predicting there may be a golden sun 4 in development and that the protagonist of that game will be a dlc character. Regarding this new dlc news, I still think shantae has good chances as she and banjo represent good history with nintendo and those 2 could help promote future tie ins. But overall are you guys thinking this recent news helps or hurts Shantaes chances?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well we kinda already got the lead antagonist for the Prime series in so unless they could predict who’d be popular I don’t know if that would go well.
Again, Sylux is a character that is likely gonna be very prominent in Prime 4 and is also already an ensemble darkhorse.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice

All I know is that a lot of these people need to be patient and wait to see what happens.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hey guys just chiming in from the Isaac boards. We golden sun fans are predicting there may be a golden sun 4 in development and that the protagonist of that game will be a dlc character. Regarding this new dlc news, I still think shantae has good chances as she and banjo represent good history with nintendo and those 2 could help promote future tie ins. But overall are you guys thinking this recent news helps or hurts Shantaes chances?
Definitely hurts. The characters were decided and WayForward isn't under an nda that we know of (unless the contract is still being finalized)
I dont have high hopes for her in the first wave of dlc.

And people think the ballot will be less of a thing for it, since nintendo made the decisions, not just sakurai

Grimacebsx

Smash Apprentice
Nice! I don't think it really hurts her chances except we can't get in some last minute dlc season 1 fan support. I still think we're in a good spot though.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Ok, even if Nintendo picked out the potential DLC characters, this setup still feels tailored to third-parties because they’d need to provide
stage and song list. Just to help put things into perspective, how about we think of the first-party characters that could be able to provide that criteria:

I’ll start with Dixie Kong with a Tropical Freeze stage/song list

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Definitely hurts. The characters were decided and WayForward isn't under an nda that we know of (unless the contract is still being finalized)
I dont have high hopes for her in the first wave of dlc.

And people think the ballot will be less of a thing for it, since nintendo made the decisions, not just sakurai
Frankly I think the opposite: Shantae has been on Nintendo's radar long before fans even seriously considered her for Smash. She has consistently been reliable in standing up for them when they falter (Dsiware and the Wii U) as a Nindie star, almost always giving them first dibs on her releases too. I find it hard to believe she was not at least considered, ballot be damned (although that certainly didn't hurt!).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ok, even if Nintendo picked out the potential DLC characters, this setup still feels tailored to third-parties because they’d need to provide
stage and song list. Just to help put things into perspective, how about we think of the first-party characters that could be able to provide that criteria:

I’ll start with Dixie Kong with a Tropical Freeze stage/song list
Well, any character could still provide a new stage. Let's say Bandana dee makes it in, the could just add more kirby stuff. Or whatever's iconic to it, maybe even a retro arena stage from kirby all-stars or something.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice

Look at it this way. Sakurai's tweet specifically says:

"I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection, then come up with the plan."

I may be reading between the lines but it's up to him to say "this character can work well in Smash" and to finally implement them.

I'm not familiar with corporate rules so I don't know if Sakurai is forced to work on Nintendo's Choice(tm) roster even if he himself isn't sold on it,but regardless, it's way too soon to lose hope yet.

I'd like to remind everyone it's been a whopping 5 days since the direct so try not to get burned out too early by this.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, any character could still provide a new stage. Let's say Bandana dee makes it in, the could just add more kirby stuff. Or whatever's iconic to it, maybe even a retro arena stage from kirby all-stars or something.
And the new songs could simply be added to the series's list and made playable on the rest of said series's stages.

Reiji Arisu from Namco X Capcom/Project X Zone.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Frankly I think the opposite: Shantae has been on Nintendo's radar long before fans even seriously considered her for Smash. She has consistently been reliable in standing up for them when they falter (Dsiware and the Wii U) as a Nindie star, almost always giving them first dibs on her releases too. I find it hard to believe she was not at least considered, ballot be damned (although that certainly didn't hurt!).
That's all fine and good. But it's clear that WF was under an nda before and now arent. matt even retweeted an old shantae for smash art from august just yesterday.
I do think she's a great pick nindies-wise, I just dont think it's the case for the first season of dlc. Of course I hope I'm wrong.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Nintendo deciding the list may help...or at least cut out the Sakurai bias and prevent us from getting seventeen more FE characters and Darkest Pit. :b:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Nintendo deciding the list may help...or at least cut out the Sakurai bias and prevent us from getting seventeen more FE characters and Darkest Pit. :b:
It's well documented that Sakurai had reservations about adding Corrin because "too much Fire Emblem", but Nintendo (or Intelligent Systems, whatever) appealed his/her case to get in, with unique abilities and not necessarily marketing potential to be fair. So if nothing else, they understand how he works and won't just shunt any old character his way just to promote stuff, they have to let him flex his creative muscle while he's at it.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
*gasp* whos that?! she has and axe! and I love axes. and now I love her!
Edelgard, she’s one of the main characters from the upcoming FE game Three Houses, she’s in a new class called Aristocrat which uses axes, swords, and magic. Like Shantae, she’s also voiced by Cristina Vee.

Last edited:
Top Bottom