• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I've been thinking about the new Adventure Mode "World of Light".
And now that I've seen that trailer multiple times, I think I get an idea on what the story behind it is...

That being that there will be no story or cutscenes.
The subtitle said the Adventure Mode will be more about Fun, than Story.
And Sakurai kept talking about "imagination".
So my guess is that instead of making an in-game story and confine it to that path only...
Sakurai rather has the story play out in our minds, have us shape the story and thus allow it to be anything we want it to be.

Sure, it's not the same as having actual cutscenes and having the story actually play out in the game...
But at the same time, no one will be disappointed in how the story goes (not talking about the lack of story), since it can be anything they think of.

And that also means that adding DLC Characters into that Adventure Mode, will be a non-issue.
No direct story means no hassle integrating DLC-Characters into it, after the fact.
Yeah, given what we've seen so far it looks like Libra of the Soul but without dialogue. SC6 doesn't have much in the way of proper cutscenes for it's story mode either. I mean it does have character portraits talking to each other but there are a very small handful of actual cutscenes. I'm guessing Spirits will play out the same way, minus of course the dialogue between characters. I do think there may still be like 1 or 2 (maybe 3 tops ) CG custscenes including the one we've already seen and for like an ending or for some minor point midway but nothing major.

It's structure looks really similar to LoS though I'm guessing it won't be as linear, allowing you to roam around a bit more freely though at the same time it's hard to tell from the little we've seen.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Yeah, given what we've seen so far it looks like Libra of the Soul but without dialogue. SC6 doesn't have much in the way of proper cutscenes for it's story mode either. I mean it does have character portraits talking to each other but there are a very small handful of actual cutscenes. I'm guessing Spirits will play out the same way, minus of course the dialogue between characters. I do think there may still be like 1 or 2 (maybe 3 tops ) CG custscenes including the one we've already seen and for like an ending or for some minor point midway but nothing major.

It's structure looks really similar to LoS though I'm guessing it won't be as linear, allowing you to roam around a bit more freely though at the same time it's hard to tell from the little we've seen.
The trailer we've seen won't be part of the game though.
How do I know?

"Not actual Gameplay Footage"

Dukefire

Smash Master
What was your reaction when finding out that Kirby was the Sole Survivor to live from the universe wipeout from Galeen?

aa95d1b12d7d9b24dcc3df7016a5a2c1-smash-bros-ultimate-murdered-everyone-except-kirby-and-hes-p...jpeg

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
The trailer we've seen won't be part of the game though.
How do I know?

"Not actual Gameplay Footage"
I mean, it's a CG cutscene, would those count as "gameplay" footage even if they were in the game? Genuine question, I'm not actually sure.

That said, I think it likely will be in the game, but in the Vault if it's not used in Spirits.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Also just realized; Spirits is basically single player Smash Tour on an over sized board/map...

I jest of course, but they are kind of similar in a way. First thing that came to mind before the SC6 parallel.

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
We really should make a Discord. Might be fun to hang out while we wait for a time where we can really dig into DLC discussion.

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
What was your reaction when finding out that Kirby was the Sole Survivor to live from the universe wipeout from Galeen?

View attachment 174808
At first i thought "of course a kirby character would save everyone." then I thought "How did the fastest thing alive not outrun this?" then i saw that gamexplain video that showed sonic slowing down to try and save pikachu and it all made sense.

On an unrelated note, who thought it was a good idea to make the hardest boss in the megaman series an assist trophy? And why can you "save" spirits? Are there going to be duplicate spirits if you can free one and never see it again?

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
Does Shantae being a spirit thing affect her chances?
Its up in the air. since spirits are the new trophies, its possible, as proven by mewtwo and lucas. But also she could just be left to posses zss's body forever.
(I do like the attention to detail for the "shantae" fight though. 2 piece samus on a pirate ship? nice)

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
And how would he have survived, Kirby at least warped out of there. Would he have just gone all Batman vs. Darkseid’s Omega Beam.

Not even Smash’s version of Batman :ultfalcon: escaped
That's up for the writers to figure out. Kirby didn't survive because he's the only that could, but because he was chosen to.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Since there's still no deconfirmation that spirits can't be playable, I still say that Shantae's chances are good. If I had to bet on the five DLC characters, I'd go with:

1) Geno
2) Banjo-Kazooie
3) Shantae
4) Bandana Waddle Dee
5) I honestly have no idea who the fifth could be

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

View attachment 174808
I am just gonna copy paste the TV Tropes fridge thing on this. It basically sums up why Kirby survived, both in universe and in meta.
"In the November 1st Nintendo Direct, it makes perfect sense that Kirby would be the last one standing after everyone else gets turned into spirits. Here's why:
  • Kirby was created by Sakurai, so of course the game's director would be playing favorites.
  • Kirby was one of the last fighters to survive Tabuu's onslaught back in the Subspace Emissary (because he ate one of King Dedede's badges).
  • Kirby is able to copy the abilities of defeated opponents, much like how the spirits seem to be taking on the form of fighters, giving said fighters the quality of the spirits!
  • Kirby also regularly topples otherworldly horrors to the point where it's practically his day job in his home series - for him, someone like Galeem is just another monster to throw on top of the pile. Galeem even looks the part of a Kirby villain.
  • On a practical level, it's because the Warp Star is able to travel to different dimensions. Sonic might have Super Speed, and Captain Falcon and Starfox might have access to vehicles that travel faster than the speed of sound, but those can't save you from an all-powerful being.
  • In a meta sense. Kirby makes for a pretty good beginner character. So him being a starter would most likely help for new players willing to jump into Story Mode."

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Welp. It's been fun, and now that Shantae is in, I must part.

See y'all next Smash hype cycle (if there is another game after Ultimate).

#ShantaeForSmashDLC

Kalomaze

Smash Cadet
NNID
sonicmarioguy
Since there's still no deconfirmation that spirits can't be playable, I still say that Shantae's chances are good. If I had to bet on the five DLC characters, I'd go with:

1) Geno
2) Banjo-Kazooie
3) Shantae
4) Bandana Waddle Dee
5) I honestly have no idea who the fifth could be
What about the kid with the Mask on?

Dukefire

Smash Master
The lyrics to the song LIFELIGHT for Smash Bros Ultimate

Colors weave into a spire of flame
Distant sparks call to a past still unnamed
Bear this torch against the cold of the night
Search your soul and reawaken the undying light

On that day, when the sky fell away
Our world came to an end
In our eyes, to the fading sunrise
In the dark, glimmering shadows

Silence grows in the spaces between
Stretching out beyond time
Rising up as a chorus of souls finds a voice
flickering through the void

These little sparks, cling on to life
Everyone caught in the struggle
And then the storms of change,
they fan the flames
Scattering ashes to the wind

Every soul contains a whisper of light
Gleaming faintly as it dwindles from sight
No escape, no greater fate to be made
In the end, the chains of time will not break

Search your soul and reawaken the undying light

As fate spins, a thread without end
New life draws its first breath
Blossoming in a soil reclaimed from the past
Where destiny holds fast

Here where we stand, hand clenched in hand
Everyone caught in the struggle
This is the day we finally find our way
Stepping into our tomorrow

Growing louder as it calls to unite
From the distance sings a chorus of souls
Rising slowly, stirring heat from the coals

Light will guide you on your way to the ultimate fight

Growing louder as it calls to unite
From the distance sings a chorus of souls
Rising slowly, stirring heat from the coals

Light will guide you on your way to the ultimate fight

D

Deleted member

Hey guys I might have found out why shantaes VA is quiet about smash..........

This::ultzelda:

Last edited by a moderator:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Man I missed a lot here the past few hours. I am glad to see we havem't all blown up and given up yet :)

I would like to stay here, keep talking over the months as we wait to here if shantae has a dlc chance, or anything. I love chatting wqith you guys.

I will say for DLC. A SE rep is a lock.... and I think Minecraft may be a lock... Since well Verg has been right with everything... And lets be real, Minecraft is a massive, MASSIVE part of gaming history now.

I don't think this negates shantae's chance. She got in as a spirit, Nintendo felt she was important enough to pop in there. I feel like maybe that could mean she still has a chance as a fighter, she has a foot in the door.

Other then those 3, anything could go.

Hey guys I might have found out why shantaes VA is quiet about smash..........

This::ultzelda:
You talking about how Zelda sounds a lot like Christina V? Yeah I thought that too, and asked her on Twitter if that was her or not

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Okay guys I am back reviewing today's Direct. Guys I think Nintendo and Sakurai actually hinted at our girl Shantae as a playable DLC fighter in Ultimate. My theory is because the official SPIRIT artwork used to show Shantae is actually a reversed version instead of the actual official artwork all the other Spirits have.

See this is her official HGH artwork:
1541118836201.png

And this is the one in Smash Ultimate:

1541118940459.png

And no that isn't just for the versus mission because it also appears like this in the overworld:

1541119171126.png

Guys I think Nintendo and WayForward/Matt are giving us a BIG hint to her being one of the DLC fighters. Mistakes like that doesn't happen on purpose.

What do you guys think about all this?

EDIT: Also someone here found Geno's spirit. Do you have a screenshot of it?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Okay guys I am back reviewing today's Direct. Guys I think Nintendo and Sakurai actually hinted at our girl Shantae as a playable DLC fighter in Ultimate. My theory is because the official SPIRIT artwork used to show Shantae is actually a reversed version instead of the actual official artwork all the other Spirits have.

View attachment 174839

View attachment 174843

And no that isn't just for the versus mission because it also appears like this in the overworld:

View attachment 174846

Guys I think Nintendo and WayForward/Matt are giving us a BIG hint to her being one of the DLC fighters. Mistakes like that doesn't happen on purpose.

How is her being reversed hint at that.

Also I am still loyal to the Shantae cause. Kinda been gone most of the day.

Dukefire

Smash Master

View attachment 174839

View attachment 174843

View attachment 174846

Anything is a possibility.

24a33352b5b73b27095a777291b2b5fe.jpeg

Makai Wars

Smash Ace

View attachment 174839

View attachment 174843

View attachment 174846

This...doesn't seem like a hint at all dude. Maybe they switched it so it matched better with the UI, maybe the file just got reversed at some point, I can't see this as a hint since WF wouldn't be the one who put Shantae in that position, some intern working at Nintendo of Japan did.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
How is her being reversed hint at that.

Also I am still loyal to the Shantae cause. Kinda been gone most of the day.
Because that artwork is wrong while most(though Mimikyu but he is an Assist Trophy and which ever person finds the Geno one) have their proper official artwork.
You do know that Sakurai is all about the small details. So missing something THAT obvious should be sending warning sounds in your brain.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Okay, back from work, what- HOLY CRAP, too many pages. Has anything happened to suggest that a Spirit can't be a DLC fighter yet?

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Okay, back from work, what- HOLY CRAP, too many pages. Has anything happened to suggest that a Spirit can't be a DLC fighter yet?
Nothing says Sprits cant' be DLC, but we have no real way of knowing till DLC rolls in. We should ask the Dixie thread how they feel since both of our picks are in the exact same position-ballot characters not in the base game but also have a Spirit shown off.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Spirits is pretty much the replacement of Trophies since Sakurai said Trophy design was getting too much to handle and have no practical use other than just collecting

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
This...doesn't seem like a hint at all dude. Maybe they switched it so it matched better with the UI, maybe the file just got reversed at some point, I can't see this as a hint since WF wouldn't be the one who put Shantae in that position, some intern working at Nintendo of Japan did.
With how Sakurai is with details do you think he would make this big of a mistake when it comes to character artwork? Especially character artwork that is not even two years old and you can easily find on the internet.

Has anyone found that Geno spirit yet?

Top Bottom