• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
But yeah, on topic of current characters, honestly I wanna try em all. I do have favorites but I like to keep an open mind. I'm welcome to most newcomers these days. I don't think people should give others a bad time for liking a character you dislike. I see a lot of people rag on Shantae and never give it any mind. I'm sure there's always gonna be something you like so much you feel like it belongs over others. Don't take it out on them.

Sorry if this is a rant or whatever, just had to get that off my chest.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Pretty much.

I'm looking forward to this one. :)

On a different subject, I have two questions:
1. Are those two mysterious blog posts still MIA?
2. Didn't they confirm that all the DLC Fighters will be from series with no Fighter representation yet?
Cause if that's the case, characters like Bandana Dee and Geno might be out of the race as well... MIGHT...
Addressing #2: no they did not. What he said is that they will be selling sets that include 1 fighter, 1 stage, and multiple music tracks. So it doesn't even confirm that the fighter and stage are from the same series.

I mean, it's a CG cutscene, would those count as "gameplay" footage even if they were in the game? Genuine question, I'm not actually sure.

That said, I think it likely will be in the game, but in the Vault if it's not used in Spirits.
I don't believe CG cutscenes count as gameplay footage even if they appear in the game. All that means is that's not what the actual gameplay of Smash Ultimate looks like.

We really should make a Discord. Might be fun to hang out while we wait for a time where we can really dig into DLC discussion.
Somebody made a Discord here ages ago, but I don't know if it ever took off because I wasn't hardly ever on Discord. I've been using it slightly more often lately though, so if you guys go back and revive that one or start a new one, I'll be sure to join it.

So, since Verge seems like he’s on the money this time, but only knows some of the picks, and we have some precedent for character additions (dlc or base), I’m going to predict the following as DLC:
1) Square rep: Geno
2) Microsoft & Minecraft Rep: Either Steve with a Minecraft stage or Banjo with a Minecraft Stage.
3) New Fire Emblem game rep: Fire Emblem 3 Houses Protag
4) First Party Ballot Rep: Bandana Dee
5) Third Party Ballot Rep: Shantae
I agree with this for the most part. With Vergeben's record now I think we have to take him at his word, so I think #1 and #2 are close to certain.

To everyone's dismay, the Square rep could be someone besides Geno, but I think he is the most likely.

I really really hope we get Banjo instead of Steve in #2, but I have a sinking feeling it's going to be Steve.

You could be right about there being a FE package, but I'm actually leaning against it. I'm not sure 3 Houses is far enough along in development, and I also have a hunch that Sakurai is reluctant to drop yet another unreleased Fire Emblem DLC character on us. Wouldn't be shocked if it was FE after all though.

I think the last three are pretty up in the air. Shantae is one of several reasonable picks for those spots. The only prediction I feel comfortable making is that at least one of them will be wasted on some stupid character that nobody wants (as if Minecraft Steve isn't bad enough). I think we'll get two good ones though. Shantae could very well be one of them.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if around this time next year, they announced a DLC season devoted to upgrading a few fan favorite ATs. Maybe Spring Man, Waluigi, Isaac, Shovel Knight, and idk for the last one.

D

Deleted member

I supposedly found this while looking at the memes from the direct
35E830D5-A207-4563-985E-39014D8B93EA.jpeg

Why can’t people stop making fun of her? she’s in you know. right?

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
DLC is still a huge possibility! We just have to believe! We can do this everyone! Let's show Shantae all the support she can get!

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Addressing #2: no they did not. What he said is that they will be selling sets that include 1 fighter, 1 stage, and multiple music tracks. So it doesn't even confirm that the fighter and stage are from the same series.
To be fair, it does seem set up so it’d prioritize series not yet represented, it’ll be hard to find a new fighter from a series already represented that could provide a new stage AND list of music. The only instances I can think of are Dixie Kong with a Tropical Freeze stage/song list and another Xenoblade rep that isn’t from the first game with their respective stage/song list

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Really? I never saw or heard anything about that we sure this wasn't something they claimed afterword?
I know for a fact they were talking about a video for the past few days. They never said what the character was until after it aired though

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Off-Topic. but I hope the story is at least somewhat on the same level as Subspace, that Trailer really got me hyped, but if there's no story to it or very little...it's really not that different than Classic mode.

Also, to me,

Spirit -> Fighter seems a lot more likely than AT -> Fighter so if anyone between Shantae and Shovel Knight is getting in than it's Shantae.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Alright, everyone still holding their candle of hope?

Yes? Good, we still have a chance as long as Bozon doesn't officially deconfirm her as DLC.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Still holding onto my torch, Freelance Spy Freelance Spy .

As for that blasted Pirahna Plant? I'll give the crazy thing a go once he comes out. I preordered the Smash Switch bundle so I should be Ret-2-Go on that front. **Shakes head** My heads in a better place now and yeah, the game is going to be fun and awesome really. Definitely looking forward to seeing what kind of challenges lay ahead and what's actually there to unlock, and of course, I'll get that Fighter's Pass, as soon as it's available. Speaking of..

As much as I think Verge is a hack and he's getting his info by reading between the lines of what everyone is saying, the fact that he called Pirahna leads me to think he's legit, so probably a Square Rep and Microsoft Rep will be two of the DLC slots, and God willing, Shantae will be one of the other three. I can't really say who the other two might be. I mean, he pretty much blasted the candidates. Bandana Waddle Dee stands a good chance though as well as Lloyd as the Namco Rep so that could be it,

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
I still really want Shantae, and I'm hoping she's DLC. I don't think being a Spirit is a deconfirmation. I still think there's hope, and I'll stay on this train.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Off-Topic. but I hope the story is at least somewhat on the same level as Subspace, that Trailer really got me hyped, but if there's no story to it or very little...it's really not that different than Classic mode.

Also, to me,

Spirit -> Fighter seems a lot more likely than AT -> Fighter so if anyone between Shantae and Shovel Knight is getting in than it's Shantae.
Yeah I feel that there will be a good story, maybe not as many cutscenes as in brawl but there should be a decent amount.

And yeah, Spirits and Mii costumes still leave a chance for DLC fighters(mario has a Mii fighter and is playable, but mii fighters is less then spirits for sure), but AT I don't think will become fighters this game, due to then they need to remove an AT for it.

Alright, everyone still holding their candle of hope?

Yes? Good, we still have a chance as long as Bozon doesn't officially deconfirm her as DLC.
Yup i'm still hear pushing for er in smash as a DLC.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Well, the direct finally settled in for me. Incineroar looks sweet, Piranha Plant is a hilarious addition, it's great to have a new kind of Adventure Mode, and I'm still hoping for Shantae as one of the DLC fighters. It ain't over until it's over.

grizby2

Smash Lord
Im hoping that spirit status doesn't mean shes deconfirmed, im still on the DLC train! and hey! you know what? even if its just a PNG, shes in the game! we accomplished that!

assuming spirits doesn't mean jack ****, there are only a few remaining contenders left.

who would they be?
1.Geno
2.Shantae
3.Banjo
4.Sora
5.Crash/Spyro
???

who do you guys think are conceivably left?

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Wow, there's a ton of activity today. I've been busy with essay stuff so I havent had the time to chat much, but its good to see everyone else is remaining confident as well!

Shantae4Smash!

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Still holding onto my torch, Freelance Spy Freelance Spy Square Rep and Microsoft Rep will be two of the DLC slots, and God willing, Shantae will be one of the other three. I can't really say who the other two might be. I mean, he pretty much blasted the candidates. Bandana Waddle Dee stands a good chance though as well as Lloyd as the Namco Rep so that could be it,
I have my suspicions that Banjo, Crash, And Rayman all have a respectable shot. Big name companies seem to want to get in smash, and those are the one's I can see getting in. I don't think we'll see any more first party reps, but Sakurai is insane so he may yet prove me terribly wrong. With the definite square rep (hopefully Geno) that gives us one shot left.

I believe. Shantae is a top contender, and she hasn't been deconfirmed yet. We still have evidence, we still have mass support, and now we absolutely know without a shadow of a doubt that Sakurai has had to have seen her in action. May she stand out above the other contenders.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Im hoping that spirit status doesn't mean shes deconfirmed, im still on the DLC train! and hey! you know what? even if its just a PNG, shes in the game! we accomplished that!

assuming spirits doesn't mean jack ****, there are only a few remaining contenders left.

who would they be?
1.Geno
2.Shantae
3.Banjo
4.Sora
5.Crash/Spyro
???

who do you guys think are conceivably left?
Here’s the options I think could happen:
-Dixie Kong (Tropical Freeze stage/music)
-either Elma or Rex (their respective stages/music)
-Rhythm Heaven rep
-Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
-Geno (Super Mario RPG stage/music)
-Lloyd/Tales rep
-Rayman
-Banjo-Kazooie
-and of course Shantae

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I have my suspicions that Banjo, Crash, And Rayman all have a respectable shot. Big name companies seem to want to get in smash, and those are the one's I can see getting in. I don't think we'll see any more first party reps, but Sakurai is insane so he may yet prove me terribly wrong. With the definite square rep (hopefully Geno) that gives us one shot left.

I believe. Shantae is a top contender, and she hasn't been deconfirmed yet. We still have evidence, we still have mass support, and now we absolutely know without a shadow of a doubt that Sakurai has had to have seen her in action. May she stand out above the other contenders.
Odd request... but could you send me that adorable Zelda avatar of yours? Im personally a huge fan of her new look in Ultimate.

zferolie

Smash Hero

I think A microsoft rep, either banjo or steve, and a SE rep, either Geno Sora or Slime, are a lock as DLC. I also think we will get 1 retro 1st party, as anything new is either too new(Arms, FE three houses, Xeno 2), or already assist trophies(arms again but maybe we could get twintell, Dillian) So really retro is all they can do. Lip is a Mii fighter costume so maybe she is out but maybe could still happen, and all the other retros are spirits but i doubt that deconfirms them. The only newer 1st party franchise would be a Rhythmn Heaven Rep, and i can see that happening here or in the 5th spot

From what we can see, Shantae is the ONLY Spirit with no publisher already tied to a fighter in this game. That is quite big, and shows she really got nintendi's attention. We can hope that means DLC for her.

Last is either like I said a Rhythmn Heaven Characters, or another third party. A New Namco bandi Character(heihatchi or a tales of), Ubisoft(Rayman), a Tecmo character(Ninja Giaden most likely but also could see a DoA girl) or... my off the wall pick of Reimu from touhou.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Given just how much Sakurai is doing, do you suppose there'll be any other unexpected bonuses he'll come up with?
Hard to say. I think my favorite part of the Direct was during the DLC segment when it cut back to him and he blinked slowly twice and said, "I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever get a break." Poor guy needs a year's vacation after this is all said and done!

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Hard to say. I think my favorite part of the Direct was during the DLC segment when it cut back to him and he blinked slowly twice and said, "I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever get a break." Poor guy needs a year's vacation after this is all said and done!
He’s done enough to deserve a decade-long vacation

zferolie

Smash Hero
I can see us getting free mii costumes over time, and maybe more spirits as well, maybe tied to the new dlc fighters. We also could get more fighter costumes(like meta ridley level) Like maybe Ms Pac-Man for pac-Man, Boshi for Yoshi, Mr L for Luigi

The only other thing, which i doubt, would be free echo fighters once in awhile, not tied to the fighter pass, but who knows if that will happen

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I can see us getting free mii costumes over time, and maybe more spirits as well, maybe tied to the new dlc fighters. We also could get more fighter costumes(like meta ridley level) Like maybe Ms Pac-Man for pac-Man, Boshi for Yoshi, Mr L for Luigi

The only other thing, which i doubt, would be free echo fighters once in awhile, not tied to the fighter pass, but who knows if that will happen
It’d probably be first-party echoes since they’d likely have to pay out to make echoes for any third-party franchises

But that was something I wanted to bring up, if Shantae were to become a fighter, what spirits could she bring and how would their battles work? I’ll come up with some ideas myself too

zferolie

Smash Hero
It’d probably be first-party echoes since they’d likely have to pay out to make echoes for any third-party franchises

But that was something I wanted to bring up, if Shantae were to become a fighter, what spirits could she bring and how would their battles work? I’ll come up with some ideas myself too
Yeah I can see first Party Echos. Medusa, Dixie Kong(if they go that route), Ninten, Black Shadow, Octolings, and Impa come to mind right away.

For Shantae Spirits, Rsiky Boots, Rooty Tops, Sky, Bolo. Squid Baron, Slime Gal(only so something I created can be in a smash game :D ) and Tinkerbats all make sense.

hassoutobi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5344-2558-0842
Switch FC
SW 7858-1447-7386
I've been called "delusional/deranged/mental/in denial" for saying the Grinch Leak is fake, when it first surfaced.
And look how that turned out.

Don't let haters get to you.
As long as there is hope left, keep on fighting.
Like Kirby will. ;)
that positive attitude of yours sure is contagious :)

They'll probably still defend the Grinch leak just because of Ken.
people can formulate whatever opinions they want, but, incineroar wasn't on the grinch leak banner, was he? and isaac was, but look at the nature of those two. it's kinda over for the grinch leak. i won't deny there are a couple characters there that still have a shot though.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I managed to watch the direct just in time before I had to go to work. Read the thread while on breaks. Sorry if I ramble.

Not going to lie, my initial reaction was pretty much this:
That subsided rather quickly.

Ken and Incineroar look Ok and the trailer was fun enough I guess.
Piranha Plant is certainly unexpected. Might be fun.

Seeing Isaac as an AT hurt a bit.

Seeing Shantae as a spirit was a bit bittersweet. I had hope she'd be a fighter. Here's hoping she's one of the DLC picks.

Speaking of which... 103 stages + 5 dlc brings the total to 108. like the Corocoro leak. And since 108 is a significant number I am just a tiny bit worried. What if 5 DLC packs is all we get?

Hope Shantae gets a DLC spot. Also hoping for Phoenix Wright.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Yeah I can see first Party Echos. Medusa, Dixie Kong(if they go that route), Ninten, Black Shadow, Octolings, and Impa come to mind right away.

For Shantae Spirits, Rsiky Boots, Rooty Tops, Sky, Bolo. Squid Baron, Slime Gal(only so something I created can be in a smash game :D ) and Tinkerbats all make sense.
Ok, I’m also trying to think about how their spirit battles would work. Like I could see Bolo being represented by Ike or Richter and the Rottytops stand-in being fought on Luigi’s Mansion

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Guys I am checking out something with today's Nintendo Direct and if my findings are correct then GET READY TO BE HYPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im a few pages behind. Did you ever find anything?
Never mind I saw it after. Reversed image might just mean they prefer her other side. But hey, any theory is fine ;p

Hey guys :D, yeah shantae might be a spirit but that doesn't necessarily prevent her from being playable tbh. Some people said that other playable characters have different spirits too so who knows. I really liked the story mode(?) However and oh boy we got some characters talking! I remember someone saying they wouldn't expect the characters to be talking in a story mode because It would be weird lol.

Oi teeb, i see the plant has become your lord and savior
Ya right. It's these little munchkins who serve their queen.
Or maybe we're all just a bunch of munching plants.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So here's a thought, if Shantae had been apart of the base roster, and was in the World of Light scene, how do you think she'd have acted during it? SOme tried to defend, some panicked, some ran, some faced it with grace like WFT.

Wii Fit Trainer is best waifu due to facing horrific atomization with absolute grace and dignity, Doesn't even give a **** and justs continues to make one final yoga pose.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
So here's a thought, if Shantae had been apart of the base roster, and was in the World of Light scene, how do you think she'd have acted during it? SOme tried to defend, some panicked, some ran, some faced it with grace like WFT.

Wii Fit Trainer is best waifu due to facing horrific atomization with absolute grace and dignity, Doesn't even give a **** and justs continues to make one final yoga pose.
Crab transform and hide in her shell.

Or

Harpy form and try to fly away

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

I’m imagining she’d probably be trying to escape and fly away in her Harpy form in a similar way to how she escaped the volcano in the original game

zferolie

Smash Hero

Either getting zapped while flying away, or mid transformation.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
She died the way she lived, you just gotta respect that in a person/mannequin/personification of fitness/whatever the hell she is.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Or she tries to warp dance away and gets away or gets blasted at the last moment.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The difference is that those are characters. a Piranha Plant is just a basic enemy, and I can't believe they wasted development time on it, or that they think he's inciting enough to convince people to buy the season pass. Also, light or not, the whole idea doesn't make sense and it didn't make sense in Brawl. It's such a weird and forced idea.
I think the plant's pretty cool.
Nice little random fringe character. It'll be fun to beat people with it.
Not a main prize, but that it's a random enemy makes it special too :)

Honestly, i dont think the season pass is worth it that much. I might have to look at prices again, but I dont think i'll buy all characters so i might as well wait and see if i want them
(I do kind of wonder tho if it'll offer mii outfits and stuff with it)

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think the plant's pretty cool.
Nice little random fringe character. It'll be fun to beat people with it.
Not a main prize, but that it's a random enemy makes it special too :)

Honestly, i dont think the season pass is worth it that much. I might have to look at prices again, but I dont think i'll buy all characters so i might as well wait and see if i want them
(I do kind of wonder tho if it'll offer mii outfits and stuff with it)
Sakurai has talent and can make the most WTF and what should be boring and dumb character into something super interesting and fun looking

The pass is pretty worth it. Its 5 bucks less then SF5 but you also have 1 less character, plus the stages in smash tend to be a lot more detailed. It is a lot cheaper then SC6, which only has 3 characters, 3 stages, and create a character outfits. And lets not even start on DoA5's rediculous DLC prices costing a total of over a grand.

Plus the fact Sakurai hasn't started working on them(or any big detailed work at least), so you cannot say this is cut content from the base game, like Tira and maybe 2b in SC6 and many other examples in fighter games, is quite great

Top Bottom