• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Gah... My brain is in a very weird space. I had a massive blowout of an explosion to the point I spiked my blood pressure at work, so I've been feeling like hell the rest of the day, then come home to this. Right now I don't think my brain is willing to accept the game right now. All the major improvements seem to be to online and all that, and it feels like single-player content took a serious nose-dive. I just hope the Adventure mode is all worth it. I was so knocked for a loop when I saw Pirahna Plant as well, like... WHAT THE EVERLOVING ****, Sakurai!? I just... Right now I'm this ball of angry irrational hate, even though once I claw my way back to normality, I'm going to be like, 'This game is going to rock!' later. Guuuuuh.

That venting aside, Shantae is definitely NOT out of the running yet, nor is Bandana Waddle Dee or some others. I was shocked by some of the deconfirms though in the AT section. Knew that was going to be painful for people but still, ouch! I'm like... Good grief.

What's this about Wayforward still not answering questions regarding Shantae's chances? Shouldn't they be free now to talk about things?
Sorry to hear that aurora, I hope you feel better. It's not an easy reception. :/

DLC is definietely still a thing. I dont think i can support as hard now tho, at least for now. But we still have things to enjoy, and we can still look forward to dlc too.
WF did say things, but not responding to people's questions about if she can be in dlc. So.. unless they'll do that later, it's possible she's already considered for dlc, which would explain more too (I sure hope WF has good reasons not to be straight with us :O)

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Then why did you quote my post?
It has nothing to do with what I said. o_O
Well you said Shantae would have been time-consuming to develop, and I just spring-boarded off of that to explain how that is the same for many veterans.
You guys want to hear a crazy theory? It's based on some stuff I heard in the Isaac thread.

Ken's portrait in the banner looks like the one in the leak. What if it's the same, and that after the leak they decided to push all the other characters to dlc spots in order to make it look 'debuncked'?
Still doesn't explain the lack of Incineroar.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Until we get more confirmation, just sit back and enjoy the game coming in about a month.

See all of you soon on the battlefield

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I wonder if the version I watched wasnt translated the same. Because I watched mostly the one that had english subtitles while he was talking, not the dub.
I like your version better ;p
I watched the English direct, and after re-watching that segment just now, I can confirm that he only said that they haven't done any work on the DLC. The only thing explicitly mentioned as not being locked down are release dates for each individual set of DLC. I mean, we techincally have no way of knowing for sure unless he explicity says so, but addressing DLC right away and with much more concrete details compared to how it was done in Sm4sh makes me think that he already has an idea of what they'll be doing. Moreover the base game should essentially be gold right now and I'm unsure if Sakurai would hastily put together a new planning doc in a month (even if it's for DLC compared to a whole game) when work on said content has to be begin by the end of this month assuming they don't start even earlier alongside whatever final touches they may be making to the base game.

Swade

Smash Apprentice
Gah... My brain is in a very weird space. I had a massive blowout of an explosion to the point I spiked my blood pressure at work, so I've been feeling like hell the rest of the day, then come home to this. Right now I don't think my brain is willing to accept the game right now. All the major improvements seem to be to online and all that, and it feels like single-player content took a serious nose-dive. I just hope the Adventure mode is all worth it. I was so knocked for a loop when I saw Pirahna Plant as well, like... WHAT THE EVERLOVING ****, Sakurai!? I just... Right now I'm this ball of angry irrational hate, even though once I claw my way back to normality, I'm going to be like, 'This game is going to rock!' later. Guuuuuh.

That venting aside, Shantae is definitely NOT out of the running yet, nor is Bandana Waddle Dee or some others. I was shocked by some of the deconfirms though in the AT section. Knew that was going to be painful for people but still, ouch! I'm like... Good grief.

What's this about Wayforward still not answering questions regarding Shantae's chances? Shouldn't they be free now to talk about things?
I'm feeling the same buddy, burnt out today.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Sorry to hear that aurora, I hope you feel better. It's not an easy reception. :/

DLC is definietely still a thing. I dont think i can support as hard now tho, at least for now. But we still have things to enjoy, and we can still look forward to dlc too.
WF did say things, but not responding to people's questions about if she can be in dlc. So.. unless they'll do that later, it's possible she's already considered for dlc, which would explain more too
Yeah, I wish they would just say "we weren't contacted when it came to talks about DLC, sorry!" so we could be done with it but of course we're going through this song and dance of WF casually ignoring specific questions but responding to others. It's super frustrating to get straight answers out of these guys in regards to Smash, I'd much rather take a full on deconfirmation than hopelessly speculating a doomed character.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I watched the English direct, and after re-watching that segment just now, I can confirm that he only said that they haven't done any work on the DLC. The only thing explicitly mentioned as not being locked down are release dates for each individual set of DLC. I mean, we techincally have no way of knowing for sure unless he explicity says so, but addressing DLC right away and with much more concrete details compared to how it was done in Sm4sh makes me think that he already has an idea of what they'll be doing. Moreover the base game should essentially be gold right now and I'm unsure if Sakurai would hastily put together a new planning doc in a month (even if it's for DLC compared to a whole game) when work on said content has to be begin by the end of this month assuming they don't start even earlier alongside whatever final touches they may be making to the base game.
Thanks, that helps me to know. Means they could have planned the dlc already

They'll have work for needed patches, and to complete piranha plant too (typing piranha ... have to think about the 'h' each time lol)

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Also as a side note regarding Spirits, if any of you have been playing Soul Calibur 6, the way Spirits is laid out instantly reminded of the Libra of the Soul story mode in SC6. Both are developed by Bandai Namco so I thought that was interesting at least given the similar structure of going around a world map and fighting in versus matches albeit with extra conditions thrown in.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Yeah, I wish they would just say "we weren't contacted when it came to talks about DLC, sorry!" so we could be done with it but of course we're going through this song and dance of WF casually ignoring specific questions but responding to others. It's super frustrating to get straight answers out of these guys in regards to Smash, I'd much rather take a full on deconfirmation than hopelessly speculating a doomed character.
I, for one, don't believe she is doomed. Her chances have highly increased after today's direct : No echoes, plenty of contenders down, a character bringing songs with them, being a spirit happens for playable characters too, she is in the game in some form...
This is all good news !
Her chances are higher than ever in my eyes

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I understand, though I'd rather have shantae in rather than deconfirmed. But if she's not in the game, and they havent gotten word about her, then they should talk to us, and now's the time if so. If they dont and she's not in dlc, I lost some respect for them.

-I feel like I'm talking with 3 heads to different people at the same time :p

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Time spent on Shantae could have gone to making sure the ICs weren't broken or recreating Ivysaur and Squirtle from scratch, not to mention the heaps and heaps of stages that must have been rebuilt. If Shantae was faithfully put in Smash with all her transformations she would likely take the work of ~2 characters so it'd be understandable if she were in DLC hell simply due to how much time it would take to develop her.
Isn't that more or less what I said? o_O

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
I, for one, don't believe she is doomed. Her chances have highly increased after today's direct : No echoes, plenty of contenders down, a character bringing songs with them, being a spirit happens for playable characters too, she is in the game in some form...
This is all good news !
Well, I for one admire your optimism, Indigo. Someone needs to compile of list of non-echo fighters that are still in the running so we know where we stand?

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
This is all good news !
I understand, though I'd rather have shantae in rather than deconfirmed. But if she's not in the game, and they havent gotten word about her, then they should talk to us, and now's the time if so. If they dont and she's not in dlc, I lost some respect for them.

-I feel like I'm talking with 3 heads to different people at the same time :p
Aw you guys are right, I'm just being pessimistic because I've heard so, SO many people call Shantae fans delusional, but look at us, still standing when heaps of other people have been wiped out of existence. Might as well keep hoping for better or worse :'D

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
I think at this point it would be good to have everyone just calm down and take a deep breath. DLC speculations won't realistically start until a few months from now so fretting over it now isn't very beneficial.
Besides there's still many unanswered questions relating to the points we've been arguing so far:

Why is Shantae not in any indie fighting games when Shovel Knight is?

Why was Wayforward so silent about any topics relating to Smash?

Is Daisy's banner pose really just a coincidence?

Was Jammies Mode really just a coincidence?

Of course I don't have the answer to any of these questions but I believe it's important to return to your roots to to gain a new perspective. Why do you think the Renaissance was so influential?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This is all good news !
Maybe this is just for now, or not (and how i feel), but I feel like things have changed and my hope for shantae is kind of shot right now, since we're talking about dlc, which could take a long time. And that's fine, but Im probably going to divert myself more and not count quite as much for it (not to say i think it cant happen).
Of course, I still support her inclusion tho :)

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Well, I for one admire your optimism, Indigo. Someone needs to compile of list of non-echo fighters that are still in the running so we know where we stand?
Well, I'd say:
- Banjo-Kazooie
- Geno
- Bandana Waddle Dee

I'm actually struggling to think of any...

Aw you guys are right, I'm just being pessimistic because I've heard so, SO many people call Shantae fans delusional, but look at us, still standing when heaps of other people have been wiped out of existence. Might as well keep hoping for better or worse :'D
I've been called "delusional/deranged/mental/in denial" for saying the Grinch Leak is fake, when it first surfaced.
And look how that turned out.

Don't let haters get to you.
As long as there is hope left, keep on fighting.
Like Kirby will. ;)

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I've been called "delusional/deranged/mental/in denial" for saying the Grinch Leak is fake, when it first surfaced.
And look how that turned out.
"I've been exiled, persecuted..."

Yeah, same here. Some got pretty mad at me actually. :/
Thankfully, that's all over now, but geez, people can be rough sometimes.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
All I can say is I’m going to hope that we can get a season 2 of smash dlc in 2019-2020. That might give another chance for either assist trophy promotions or other unique fighters from old franchises. I’m placing my bets on these characters for the first five.
1 Banjo Kazooie
2 Shantae
3 Bandana dee
4 Geno/Sora
5 Rex/fire emblem rep?

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice
This is all good news !
I'm on the same boat as you. This basically boosted her chances.

Also WayForward has not retweeted anything related to Shantae and Smash at this time. We'll have to see if it happens tomorrow too.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Since they're nintendo, they know what other plans are going on, and just like with Corrin, they probably consider some other characters in the works for dlc even before the game is more public.

And I do hope we get Edelgard, because she's an axe wielder and I want to see that.
If she can also use magic too (which she's said to, i think), I think she'd be an awesome dlc character

Right, Parallel_Falchion Parallel_Falchion ?

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
I'm on the same boat as you. This basically boosted her chances.

Also WayForward has not retweeted anything related to Shantae and Smash at this time. We'll have to see if it happens tomorrow too.
Matt Bozon has, really just simple congratulation posts however.
It should be noted that they're side stepping DLC questions but I'm just gonna assume that doesn't mean much.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Matt Bozon has, really just simple congratulation posts however.
It should be noted that they're side stepping DLC questions but I'm just gonna assume that doesn't mean much.
It means a lot to fans, and we deserve answers anyway, especially with their track record.
They answer other questions, so it seems to me that there's still something going on, or there hasnt been enough time gone by for them to address it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I need to finally go get some air and move around.

Hope you all find a way to process what happened and feel good, in general and about the game (at whatever pace it takes..). I understand if it sucks for some things, I certainly feel that way. But I want to look forward too.

hf talking more things out. peace

(ps - sorry for my third double post today. not fully used to a faster pace yet ;p)

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Since they're nintendo, they know what other plans are going on, and just like with Corrin, they probably consider some other characters in the works for dlc even before the game is more public.

And I do hope we get Edelgard, because she's an axe wielder and I want to see that.
If she can also use magic too (which she's said to, i think), I think she'd be an awesome dlc character

Uh, yeah, of course.

Frankly, Edelgard isn't even in my top 5, but I don't have much hope for those 5 right now, anyway.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
The most important thing is to make our own opinions regardless of what others tell us.
Of course my opinion is probably biased by the fact that I really want Shantae in, but not to the point of being blinded.
As objevcive as I can be, I believe that we are among the luckiest members of the smash community today ( because who really wanted Ken and Incineroar ?) and that we are not delusional.

The same way I never believed the banner leak for instance, my brain and heart tell me that I'm not crazy to believe Shantae will be in.
Last night at a party, some friends of mine ( Isaac supporters ) were disregadring Shante's chances while claiming Isaac was a lock and that the banner was 100% true. Look where we are now ! We are almost the only ones standing strong today :)

Although it's going to take some extra time and our pations will come and go, we must keep hoping and keep showing our presence.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
They'll probably still defend the Grinch leak just because of Ken.
Incineroar is in the game and wasn't leaked by the Grinch. The only leaked character that ended up revealed today was Ken and he's in a different spot on the banner. Shadow and Isaac are Assist Trophies (if they can't accept that, they can join the Waluigi fanbase). Geno, Chorus Kids, Banjo-Kazooiee and Mach Rider were not seen at all. And Sakurai stated multiple times in the direct that all 74 fighters have been revealed. And even when they say the Grinch leak characters will all be DLC, Piranha Plant is coming and he's not in the Grinch leak.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I've been thinking about the new Adventure Mode "World of Light".
And now that I've seen that trailer multiple times, I think I get an idea on what the story behind it is...

That being that there will be no story or cutscenes.
The subtitle said the Adventure Mode will be more about Fun, than Story.
And Sakurai kept talking about "imagination".
So my guess is that instead of making an in-game story and confine it to that path only...
Sakurai rather has the story play out in our minds, have us shape the story and thus allow it to be anything we want it to be.

Sure, it's not the same as having actual cutscenes and having the story actually play out in the game...
But at the same time, no one will be disappointed in how the story goes (not talking about the lack of story), since it can be anything they think of.

And that also means that adding DLC Characters into that Adventure Mode, will be a non-issue.
No direct story means no hassle integrating DLC-Characters into it, after the fact.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

I don't know too much, about her, sadly. Is there any footage of Three Houses with her anywhere? Also, heh, I like how she's voiced by Christina Vee. :p
I need to finally go get some air and move around.

Hope you all find a way to process what happened and feel good, in general and about the game (at whatever pace it takes..). I understand if it sucks for some things, I certainly feel that way. But I want to look forward too.

hf talking more things out. peace

(ps - sorry for my third double post today. not fully used to a faster pace yet ;p)
Come on, MOM! >: (

Last edited:

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking about the new Adventure Mode "World of Light".
And now that I've seen that trailer multiple times, I think I get an idea on what the story behind it is...

That being that there will be no story or cutscenes.
The subtitle said the Adventure Mode will be more about Fun, than Story.
And Sakurai kept talking about "imagination".
So my guess is that instead of making an in-game story and confine it to that path only...
Sakurai rather has the story play out in our minds, have us shape the story and thus allow it to be anything we want it to be.

Sure, it's not the same as having actual cutscenes and having the story actually play out in the game...
But at the same time, no one will be disappointed in how the story goes (not talking about the lack of story), since it can be anything they think of.

And that also means that adding DLC Characters into that Adventure Mode, will be a non-issue.
No direct story means no hassle integrating DLC-Characters into it, after the fact.
So in translation: Shantae would have no problem if she were added as DLC?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
My mind has been going over this whole experience at work and now I see this as an opportunity, a gateway perhaps.

She’s in a position where she has presence in the game now. It’s a small victory but a victory nonetheless. Shantae has representation in pretty much the biggest crossover in video game history and one of Nintendo’s biggest IPs and people all over the world have seen it and that number will keep growing. This will still be a huge boost in popularity for her. I know she wasn’t shown off for long, but I think it’s enough to get people unfamiliar with her curious about her. This could led to more people looking into her and buying her games. This could lead to her fanbase growing larger than before. This might be Nintendo dipping their toes in the water before they decide to take a leap.

This could lead to something bigger for Shantae.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Guys I am checking out something with today's Nintendo Direct and if my findings are correct then GET READY TO BE HYPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Hey guys :D, yeah shantae might be a spirit but that doesn't necessarily prevent her from being playable tbh. Some people said that other playable characters have different spirits too so who knows. I really liked the story mode(?) However and oh boy we got some characters talking! I remember someone saying they wouldn't expect the characters to be talking in a story mode because It would be weird lol.

Yeh, I didnt take it seriously, but it was an interesting thought. It would mean that they'd have to make an assist trophy for each one too just to bypass it. and more.
It seems obvious that ken being similar pose is just coincidence.
Oi teeb, i see the plant has become your lord and savior

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
So in translation: Shantae would have no problem if she were added as DLC?
Pretty much.

Guys I am checking out something with today's Nintendo Direct and if my findings are correct then GET READY TO BE HYPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm looking forward to this one. :)

On a different subject, I have two questions:
1. Are those two mysterious blog posts still MIA?
2. Didn't they confirm that all the DLC Fighters will be from series with no Fighter representation yet?
Cause if that's the case, characters like Bandana Dee and Geno might be out of the race as well... MIGHT...

Top Bottom