• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
Okay here's a hypothetical for you all, so worst case scenario Shantae is not in Smash Ultimate whatsoever. What fighter (if any) would you take as a consolation prize? For me personally, if Shantae wasn't in but Joker from Persona 5 was playable I would eat my laptop out of sheer hype.
Sora would be fine to satiate me.

Characters that I would be delighted to have but I don't think are realistic choices though, are Addam from Xenoblade 2, Neku, Joker, Roxas, and Noctis.

Last edited:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
TBH if Shantae doesn't make it in, i'd LOVE to see Minecraft Steve in instead, he's just so perfect for Smash, he's iconic, and his game has sold over 100 MILLION copies.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Quick thing to bring up.

People that hates that said character has a pro and con to their reasons why they can't join Smash Ultimate.

Pro: of course they can show their reasons why that character can't make it to stop the support.

Con: while showing their hate, their initial thing was to stop people's suport that said character. It can lead to an opposite effect for those people to dig at that character and eventually make their own decision if one should or should not join on better terms.

So hate or not, the support is still spreading regardless.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Honestly, I'm annoyed she's that low. And when he put freaking Heihachi over Shantae, I stopped watching. He has no evidence or hype.
Yeah not a fan of Shantae being that low... plus how Sora is that high and he doesn't even mention Dragon quest... Why do people think the only other SE character is Sora, when Dragon Quest has outsold KH multiple times, has a 30 year long history, and Dragon Quest is SE's bigger property in Japan by far?

If we aren't getting Geno, we are getting a Dragon Quest rep.

PLus so many youtubers are just ignoring that Sakurai said slow the pace of trailers, which doesn;t effect Echos at all I feel, as they don't have trailers. We can easily get 6 or 7 echos with 4 or 5 unique newcomers.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I generally don't trust YouTube videos speculating and rating chances.
They always reek of favouritism.

In fact, this is why I normally try to avoid any sort of speculation on the net.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
I generally don't trust YouTube videos speculating and rating chances.
They always reek of favouritism.

In fact, this is why I normally try to avoid any sort of speculation on the net.
This
Remember when people were saying that Ridley and the Inklings were shoo-in back in the Smash 4 days?

D

Deleted member

Already done.

Nobody wants you gone, really.
You acted a lot like me there, I think I've been a bad influence on you...

I'm sorry. :(
No you haven’t your good it’s just the people I showed all this to

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Yeah not a fan of Shantae being that low... plus how Sora is that high and he doesn't even mention Dragon quest... Why do people think the only other SE character is Sora, when Dragon Quest has outsold KH multiple times, has a 30 year long history, and Dragon Quest is SE's bigger property in Japan by far?

If we aren't getting Geno, we are getting a Dragon Quest rep.

PLus so many youtubers are just ignoring that Sakurai said slow the pace of trailers, which doesn;t effect Echos at all I feel, as they don't have trailers. We can easily get 6 or 7 echos with 4 or 5 unique newcomers.
I'll still watch Billy, if only because I want to see him try to justify Vergeben and the Ken Screenshot. But yeah, I feel he's underselling Shantae's potential, then again, considering he's following Verge's leaks like a piece of cheese on a string into a poison trap and he is an advent believer of the screenshot, it may be more on his uncertainty to stick with a character than anything else.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'll still watch Billy, if only because I want to see him try to justify Vergeben and the Ken Screenshot. But yeah, I feel he's underselling Shantae's potential, then again, considering he's following Verge's leaks like a piece of cheese on a string into a poison trap and he is an advent believer of the screenshot, it may be more on his uncertainty to stick with a character than anything else.
I'll keep watching him too, as both he and Papagenos make good videos. Doesn't mean I have to agree with them.

I just wish more people actually talked about how DQ is a much better and likely rep then Sora. By like 100x more likely.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think the problem with DQ is that the series does jot have some stand out protagonist, only a stand out enemy type. It makes speculating for the series much harder and unpredictable.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
This
Remember when people were saying that Ridley and the Inklings were shoo-in back in the Smash 4 days?
Well it was a more understandable case with Ridley. Since even Sakurai himself said Ridley wouldn't work as a fighter before.
But good thing he changed his mind.
Maybe Began's Ridley Mod inspired him? : 3

Inklings however, I never saw anyone arguing against tbh.
In fact, i saw lots of people rooting and voting for them in the Smash 4 Ballot.

That's not to say that people aren't biased towards characters they really wish for.
And I have yet to comprehend how attacking other characters and their fans helps with that...

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
I think the problem with DQ is that the series does jot have some stand out protagonist, only a stand out enemy type. It makes speculating for the series much harder and unpredictable.
That's why people go for the protag of DQ3. He's the first to haves a actual canon name, and his game seems to be very well remembered in japan.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well Slime could work as a character honestly. It would be strange, but very feasible

That's why people go for the protag of DQ3. He's the first to haves a actual canon name, and his game seems to be very well remembered in japan.
That, or just use Hero, and gave him the Koopaling treatment, as a lot of the DG Heroes get simular attacks and weapons. All use swords, all Get Zap and Zoom, I beleive all have Gigaslash/gash that could be a final smash.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Which video game do you think is Shantae's favorite of all time?
Aside from her own? I'd imagine her to be into Castlevania since...you know, whips and all.
Okay here's a hypothetical for you all, so worst case scenario Shantae is not in Smash Ultimate whatsoever. What fighter (if any) would you take as a consolation prize? For me personally, if Shantae wasn't in but Joker from Persona 5 was playable I would eat my laptop out of sheer hype.
Misty (Especially as an extra Pokémon Trainer)
Reimu
Marx
Diskun
Elma
NiGHTS (Or any third SEGA rep, really)
Crash Bandicoot
Gex
Bub & Bob
Alm/Celica/Both at once
Rex
Another Punch-Out! character

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Welp, to come back to something Shantae-related...

Since Shantae always had a different design in every single one of her games...
Which one do you believe Sakurai would choose for her in Smash?
Or would he go for an amalgamation or something new?

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

Since Shantae always had a different design in every single game of her games...
I was thinking a new design, the opposite of the chibi design from HGH. Leaning more towards the Indivisble design, but not exactly like it.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I was thinking a new design, the opposite of the chibi design from HGH. Leaning more towards the Indivisble design, but not exactly like it.
Oh that Indivisible Design I think would be very likely. It seems quite fitting for smash too

Shantae indivisible.png

Last edited:

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Holy ****, I was watching BillyBo's latest rerates and there was this guy called DynamitePenguins who just keeps saying "Shantae didn't sell well in japan how is she not obscure?" in response to Billy's rerate of Rayman (25%) being lower than Shantae's (30%) and when someone asked him for statistics, he just gives us the statistics for Half Genie Hero on Nintendo Switch and said "read it and weep" essentially. What a bloody loser! That's also ignoring outside merchandising sources, like feelies, t-shirts, and figurines.
Heyyy! That was me!! I'm Meme!! :D

Honestly, I'm annoyed she's that low. And when he put freaking Heihachi over Shantae, I stopped watching. He has no evidence or hype.
Probably a lot of skeptism, tbf. While I can understand that everyonr has their own opinions, 30 seems a little to low. I'd leave her at 50, or if I lost the hype as Billy says, I'd give her a 45.

But thats favoritism on my end...

Probably an unpopular opinion, but the first Shantae look from her very first game. Or the very least her third art look in Pirates Curse. Fits the humanoids of Smash.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Y'all talking about Roto, right? I think I've played 1, didn't get my hands on 2 or 3, but have played 4 on. Loved all of them.

As far as Billybo goes. There's not too many speculators I'm willing to listen to, and he ain't on that list. Arlo, Nintendo Wire, Nintendo Life I poke occasionally, and Recently Papagenos for me. Anyone else got suggestions for good youtubers?
Let's see, about that Shantae question, I think HGH was very much in progress around the time of the decision making so I think he'd be using that one.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Probably an unpopular opinion, but the first Shantae look from her very first game. Or the very least her third art look in Pirates Curse. Fits the humanoids of Smash.
Actually, I share that sentiment.
The first game is still my favourite in the series, as is Shantae's design from that game.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Guys, are there any characters you would HATE to see make the cut ?
Minecraft Steve. He's blocky, boring, and ugly, and just wouldn't be a good fit for Smash.

There are other characters I'm not fond of, but Steve takes the cake as my most hated character followed closely by Goku.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

I’m personally hoping for the HGH portrait art design. Something to keep in mind is that the taller her design and proportions, the higher her hair whip will strike and the less effective it’ll be again shorter characters like Kirby and Pichu. Also if the approach he took for Mega Man is any indication, he seems to be taking the in-game sprites and how they function in mind and I feel that design bet fit those proportions.

Well hopefully she doesn’t keep her waistline from that design.
1FB07C8C-5A4B-40BD-922E-BF6948913ECB.jpeg

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace

I can see him mixing everything from the first three Shantae games into one, she'd so some animations from the first game (like her long strides as her walking animation) but her design would be based off of Risky's Revenge most likely. HGH is probably too recent to base her design off of and Pirate's Curse Shantae would more than likely be an alt skin with the pirate banana, arm band and jacket.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I’m personally hoping for the HGH portrait art design. Something to keep in mind is that the taller her design and proportions, the higher her hair whip will strike and the less effective it’ll be again shorter characters like Kirby and Pichu.
And that wouldn't be a problem at all, as long as she has the crouching hair whip as well.
I can see Shantae working perfectly with proportions similar to the new Zelda.

Well hopefully she doesn’t keep her waistline from that design.
View attachment 167671
Nothing's perfect.
And I mean if they can edit Snake's butt out, surely they can do something about this as well, without ruining the character.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Regarding BillyBo10K (I only watched Shantae and Bandana Dee's parts and skimmed over everyone else), I do think there is quite a bit of favoritism. When he went over Bandana Dee, he wasn't talking about why he would be in Smash, but why he should, which I'd agree with, if the question was "Should" and not "Would".

However, I partially agree with his reasoning that there's just no place to reveal her. Not that "ohh she wouldn't be revealed at this place or that place", but that there are many more likely newcomers that would take up the limited amount of reveal slots. From the remaining reveals (4 including echoes at most) we have, we're severely more likely to get Ken, Incineroar, Steve and Geno/Sora/Other SE Rep. But there is some favoritism there. He even said "It's just my gut feeling". Not very sound reasoning, if you ask me.

I could see a cross between her RR and HGH designs with the proportions of PC, but with some changes made to make her design be more presentable to the general Smash Bros audience.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I can see him mixing everything from the first three Shantae games into one, she'd so some animations from the first game (like her long strides as her walking animation) but her design would be based off of Risky's Revenge most likely. HGH is probably too recent to base her design off of and Pirate's Curse Shantae would more than likely be an alt skin with the pirate banana, arm band and jacket.
That sounds plausible.

Regarding BillyBo10K (I only watched Shantae and Bandana Dee's parts and skimmed over everyone else), I do think there is quite a bit of favoritism. When he went over Bandana Dee, he wasn't talking about why he would be in Smash, but why he should, which I'd agree with, if the question was "Should" and not "Would".

However, I partially agree with his reasoning that there's just no place to reveal her. Not that "ohh she wouldn't be revealed at this place or that place", but that there are many more likely newcomers that would take up the limited amount of reveal slots. From the remaining reveals (4 including echoes at most) we have, we're severely more likely to get Ken, Incineroar, Steve and Geno/Sora/Other SE Rep. But there is some favoritism there. He even said "It's just my gut feeling". Not very sound reasoning, if you ask me.
What was that about "jumping ship" again...?

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
What was that about "jumping ship" again...?
I wasn't saying I was jumping ship. I was just saying that I'm pessimistic about anyone who isn't Ken, Incineroar, Steve or the Unknown Square Rep.

[Please I don't want to start this again anymore than you do]

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I wasn't saying I was jumping ship.
[...]
Uhm...

Even if there are more than 2 fighters there's no way Shantae's getting through Incineroar, Ken, Geno, Skull Kid, Steve, Shadow, Isaac, Dante (please no) AND Banjo. Considering that, along with the stage theory and the fact that all of the evidence we have thus far could just point to her being an Assist Trophy, I think i'm jumping ship.

Top Bottom