• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
inb4 we're actually getting Risky Boots and Shantae as newcomers with the Pirate Master as the boss.

Me in that situation:

I sure am glad I'm not the only one here who knows of this vid.

That said, having both Shantae and Risky would be one of my greatest wet dreams next to Syrup and Risky. So that theory might make sense.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
They are all super cute, I mostly like the one with her and Dixie.
Tho, I would not it up if I were you. Mostly Shantae and smash, and occasionally mix in a non smash one like your Shantae/Rotty pic.

If they consistently interact with the non smash ones that may at least makes the current evidence more blatant.
Actually, I think we have more than enough evidence with WF's interactions with fanart that we could definitively say something about it. That may just be the optimistic me speaking out from the void of pessimism, but that's no coincidence that any Shantae art that doesn't directly have Shantae in the thick of the Smash is far more likely to get noticed by WF.

I'll still hold this hypothesis, but I would feel that having both Shantae and Risky Boots as playables would be a bit much for a newcomer franchise that didn't have the best track record for notability. That being said, however, it would be beyond legendary if that was the case. Then again, who knows, maybe Risky will be a playable instead of a boss?

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Let's just ignore the ones that have no faith. Anyway we can see that the silence narrative(or lack there of lol) by WayForward continues on. Man maybe Sakurai promised them two characters instead of just Shantae if they keep silent until their characters are revealed. But that is just my speculation.
That would be ridiculous. Imagine she gets in and then halfway through the trailer we're like "Oh cool Risky's a boss!" and then Sakurai's like "HAHAHAHAHAHA No!: Risky prepares to plunder!" *proceeds to wonder how a trailer like that would play out*

WiredRM

Smash Cadet
I don't think I've seen this discussed yet (though I could have missed it): What do you think Shantae's Classic Mode fights may be if she's playable? And if she's in the base game, what characters do you think Shantae would appear in for their own Classic Mode fights?

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I don't think I've seen this discussed yet (though I could have missed it): What do you think Shantae's Classic Mode fights may be if she's playable? And if she's in the base game, what characters do you think Shantae would appear in for their own Classic Mode fights?
1v1, Giant or Metal: Bayonetta
2v2: Team-up with Toon Link against King K. Rool and Ridley

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Hmm, if Shantae was in, I could imagine a good chunk of her fights would probably be against Toon Link, a Fox-Falco duo fight with Diddy as her partner, a Giant DK, then going towards Mr. Game and Watch, King K. Rool, Ridley, a Metal character I don't know of (maybe Metal Wario, ala Mario 64 DS?), The Fighting Mii Team, then the Hands.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I remember it being brought up a while ago, I think a few ideas I suggested were her going up against fire based opponents due to her dealing with Scuttle Town always being on fire, or maybe it could be based off the stages in her own adventures like for example:

For HGH’s levels
Scuttle Town: Great Bay
Mermaid Falls: Kongo Falls
Tassel Town: Mushroomy Kingdom
Cape Crustacean: Big Blue
Hypno Baron’s Castle: Dracula’s Castle
Tinkerbat Factory: Norfair

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Let's just ignore the ones that have no faith. Anyway we can see that the silence narrative(or lack there of lol) by WayForward continues on. Man maybe Sakurai promised them two characters instead of just Shantae if they keep silent until their characters are revealed. But that is just my speculation.
As crazy as that sounds, I could imagine Sakurai looking at the magic or pirate gear moveset arguments and going "Why not both?", then bam, playable Shantae with magic and transformations *and* a playable Risky with all of her pirate equipment.

Dang it, now I want it to happen...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, so I know we had that discussion about Shantae’s outfit and the possibility of it needing changes to make it appropriate for Smash, but what about Risky?

View attachment 165747
I think they'd just go "eh, if they can accept Shantae, anybody from the series can be taken". They'd probably give it a pass because of her unusual complexion, too.

As crazy as that sounds, I could imagine Sakurai looking at the magic or pirate gear moveset arguments and going "Why not both?", then bam, playable Shantae with magic and transformations *and* a playable Risky with all of her pirate equipment.

Dang it, now I want it to happen...
Exactly! It might be unrealistic, but it's a valid point I did bring up before.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
This was a day after the August 8th Direct, while we were all mostly dazzled by the Belmonts and K. Rool's inclusion, and I wasn't on here :p
Still... I don’t see how this person thinks rubbing that much salt on the absolute most requested character is gonna help our image.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
(Fan Made Trailer: Dance with Destiny)

The Smash Ball flashes on the screen, just like the trailers seen previously.

The camera pans to a view of the skies above a desert village.

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thDsD6e02og

A fleet of Bowser’s airships is seen flying over the village.

A view of the deck of one of the ships reveals Toon Link, who readies his sword to face the enemies that lie before him.

The hero of wind swings his sword at the Goombas and Koopas, swiftly taking one of them out with each blow.

Toon Link then jumps from the current ship, off of a Bullet Bill and onto the deck of the largest ship in the fleet.

*music stops*

Before he can do anything else, though, a cannonball knocks Toon Link off of the ship, down to the village below. The attacker does nothing but giggle maniacally before he is revealed to be Bowser Jr.

Toon Link is then seen hitting the ground face-first, only to look up and see a pair of red shoes and pants.

The camera then pans up to reveal the mysterious figure.

Shantae is Ret-2-Go!
*insert gameplay segment with DTtD playing here*
*Super Smash Bros Ultimate logo comes up and music stops, but the trailer's not over.*

Bowser Jr. descends in his Koopa Clown Car, laughing at the two heroes. Both of them prepare to fight Jr.

And then, from out of nowhere, a cannonball coming from the left side of the screen knocks Bowser Jr. out of the sky.

Both heroes look to the left to see where the blast came from. The camera pans over to their faces, as a shadow is cast over them: Toon Link is confused, while Shantae looks like she's just seen a ghost.

The camera cuts to Risky, who's seen laughing at the duo from her ship, and then:

Risky prepares to plunder!
*one gameplay segment (set to HGH's boss theme) later*:

Shantae is then seen jumping on to the ship, preparing for a fight against her nemesis. The Super Smash Bros Ultimate logo shows up and the music stops, ending the trailer for real.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Actually yeah. I think Jessie's original VA would be much more fitting for her than Cristina (no offense).
In all fairness, I don’t hate her Risky voice, but if the Shantae series gets the chance to have full voice acting one way or another, I don’t expect her to voice the main hero AND villain

NukeA6

Smash Master
People who rage just because a FIRST PARTY CHARACTER gets announced isn't really confident in the chances the characters they want to be in Smash. Basically those few Shantae fans have zero faith and rather than look at all the evidence they rather throw the other fandoms under a bus or something like that.

This is why I like you guys here since you at least try not to get out of control most of the time lol.
And less than an hour later.....

Oh great here we go again STOP!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In all fairness, I don’t hate her Risky voice, but if the Shantae series gets the chance to have full voice acting one way or another, I don’t expect her to voice the main hero AND villain
Why not, I mean people like Scott McNeil can practically voice a third of a show's supporting cast, and the Japanese VA for Gundam Seed's Murrue and Natarle managed to have the two converse with each other. I wouldn't mind it.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Still... I don’t see how this person thinks rubbing that much salt on the absolute most requested character is gonna help our image.
Especially since it was still so early in the reveal cycle. I mean I can get it if they said "there are only two characters left" and then a character you didn't like got revealed, but so early on with no word on how many more are left to be announced... It just seems overly shortsighted to be four newcomers in and be like "this is b*******!"

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I like to imagine this video as an accurate representation of what leaks do to the speculation side of Smash:

In this case:

Uncle Blobb = Vergeben / Fake leaks
People on the "train ride" = Smash speculators
The Carnival = Smash Ultimate
The 3 characters who actually ride the rides = people not swayed by leaks

(I'm bored, pls don't sue I just wanna ****post, plus this video is meme-worthy IMO)
3-2-1 Penguins, huh? God, I miss this show. Insanely underrated.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Half-Genie Hero

Round 1: Vs. Ridley (Assuming Risky isn't in) on theoretical Scuttle Town
Round 2: Vs. Tiny King K. Rool (Techno Baron) & Giant Palutena (Giga Mermaid) allied with Richter (Bolo) on Kongo Falls
Round 3: Vs. Pokemon Trainer (Holly) in Mushroomy Kingdom
Round 4: Vs. Team Bowser (Ammo Baron & minions) on Mario Circuit 8
Round 5: Vs. Ganondorf (Hypno Baron) & Inkling (Squid Baron) in Dracula's Castle
Round 6: Vs. "Nega-Shantae" alt in a stamina battle

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ok so while i said i wouldnt mind anyone being added... i have to change that.

Steve from minecraft. I do not want him. At all. More so then Goku. I know leaks are dumb but this steve thing is growing and even vergeben is saying it may be a possinilty his sources are saying now... please. No steve.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord

Steve from minecraft. I do not want him. At all. More so then Goku. I know leaks are dumb but this steve thing is growing and even vergeben is saying it may be a possinilty his sources are saying now... please. No steve.
*Hears vergeben and Gets ready to kiss Shantae's chances goodbye*

Edit: Steve's actually gonna steal Shantae's slot. The trolls don't realize what they've done.

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace

Eh, I think as big as Minecraft is even Sakurai wouldn't make Steve a fighter. He's like a mix of Villager and Game&Watch except also extremely ugly in everything that's not Minecraft. A Minecraft stage would be the perfect way to represent it, if it gets repped at all. I personally find it really foolish to believe Verg after how much stuff he has missed so I'm not stressin'.

His whole tactic has been
"One of my sources told me Y is in the game"
*thing isn't in the game*
"Well obviously my source was incorrect"

OR
*thing is in game*
"See, I'm clearly believable and have all the good sources."

He did exactly this when he was """""""told""""""" there wasn't any DK stuff in the game. If K. Rool didn't get confirmed he could just be like "well I didnt believe him BUT I guess he was right :)"

I really hate that this one drama queen has been poisoning Smash speculation with all his backpedaling and half truths, but that's just me.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Eh, I think as big as Minecraft is even Sakurai wouldn't make Steve a fighter. He's like a mix of Villager and Game&Watch except also extremely ugly in everything that's not Minecraft. A Minecraft stage would be the perfect way to represent it, if it gets repped at all. I personally find it really foolish to believe Verg after how much stuff he has missed so I'm not stressin'.
It wasnt verg who said it first someone else did, and then he backed him. I feel a stage is honestly the best minecraft will get for the same reasons you said.

I dont know, guess something in rl got me upset, and then i read that which makes harder to ignore it when normally i would

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239

Well based on the verg leaks it isn't a character but more of Minecraft representation(as in Stage, assist or a simple trophy).

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

His whole tactic has been
"One of my sources told me Y is in the game"
*thing isn't in the game*
"Well obviously my source was incorrect"

OR
*thing is in game*
"See, I'm clearly believable and have all the good sources."

He did exactly this when he was """""""told""""""" there wasn't any DK stuff in the game. If K. Rool didn't get confirmed he could just be like "well I didnt believe him BUT I guess he was right :)"

I really hate that this one drama queen has been poisoning Smash speculation with all his backpedaling and half truths, but that's just me.
Actually the no-DK stuff was in the PM loz18 leaked.

In said PM, Vergeben said he didn't believe it, which is why he asked loz18 who turned out to be a troll.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
So, question. If only one supporting character from the Shantae series could make a "cameo" in Ultimate, assuming Shantae is playable, which character would you want to see? Risky as a boss/stage hazard? Bolo, Sky, or Rottytops as an Assist Trophy?

D

Deleted member

Well based on the verg leaks it isn't a character but more of Minecraft representation(as in Stage, assist or a simple trophy).
If he was a fighter (whitch he won’t and shantae will because of the evidence) it won’t just make us salty....but it will make the banjo fans super salty!

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
So, question. If only one supporting character from the Shantae series could make a "cameo" in Ultimate, assuming Shantae is playable, which character would you want to see? Risky as a boss/stage hazard? Bolo, Sky, or Rottytops as an Assist Trophy?
If only just one was revealed... Good God, that'd be hard!
But I'd place my chips towards Risky being a boss character. It'd just make too much sense to me!
Though if I could have the cake and eat it, then I'd want Rotty to join in on the action as Shantae's Assist Trophy as well as the Risky Boss.

If he was a fighter (whitch he won’t and shantae will because of the evidence) it won’t just make us salty....but it will make the banjo fans super salty!
I'd think it would be safe to assume most of Smash Boards would have a collective aneurysm over this. Except for Verge fanboys and people who just really wanted Minecraft in this game. However, I'm going to assume the Minecraft "representation" could be the same as the Gematsu Leaks back in Smash 4, in that it could reasonably make sense to some extent, but is likely a fabrication.

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Risky Boots as Shantae's Final Smash. She'd target Shantae with her cannons, but end up blowing everyone else up instead. Shantae could even get "hit" and do her cute Shantae GBC spite
boom.png

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?

Yeah, it would absolutely repulse me as well.

I wrote up a giant spiel about why it would piss me off but decided to refrain because I'm sure someone is going to get butthurt over it and drag me into a debate I'm not interested in having. But basically it would tick me off because it means that "clout" is more important than the voices of the fans.

Keep in mind, I wouldn't even mind his addition if Shantae was also added. But if he gets in over Shantae, that's a totally different thing. It would personally make the ballot a joke to me.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I can see Minecraft in Smash but in my mind it'd be DLC. That way Microsoft doesn't get a cut of the main game money.

Shantae still has a shot and a half.

Top Bottom