• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Right now, I say Nintendo has done the right direction to control the hype since if another character that has more hype behind him/her. It would cause hype for the other series in the direct be overshadowed.

I say that those characters will have their time to shine once another Smash Direct is announced.
Till then, let Isabelle sort it out and turn a new leaf over.
It would be right to have made this decision... if the character wasn’t a huge let down to many long term fans of Nintendo. Seriously, Dixie Kong wouldn’t have overshadowed the direct if she was shown, if the rest of it held up pretty solidly. Now the confirmation of Isabelle overshadows the rest of the direct BECAUSE of how lackluster it was compared to how many could’ve been. Would’ve been better to end on a high note, not the lowest of the low.

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
The only bad thing is we got absolutely nothing new to speculate over from this direct.

It's going to be a slow month on smashboards...

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
While it's a fun and interesting concept, I've never taken this theory seriously.
I wouldn't either...except for Robin and Chrom interacting. Some characters in that artwork are quite clearly interacting with each other, such as the aforementioned FEA characters and Dr. Mario checking for Game & Watch's heartbeat with his stethoscope. Unless Daisy is thrusting her butt at either Wii Fit Trainer or Corrin, she's missing a hip check buddy.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, as much as I, like most of us, bought into the hype, in a General direct, Shantae doesn't make nearly as much sense as someone as Isabelle. looking back

A general direct reveal, or at least an ideal one, should be one that might pull in people who weren't super interested in the game.
Shantae's install base, while dedicated, isn't really large enough that the non-crossover area between it and Smash would be huge.
Animal Crossing however, has a HUGE install base, many of which are more casual gamers, that are very dedicated to the game and the characters, especially Isabelle.
It's the same reason I feel like Isaac and Geno wouldn't have been good here, in hindsight. I feel both of them and Shantae would suit a Smash direct MUCH better.

So to me, this isn't a "well, that was our opportunity, game over," it's a "Hmm, this just wasn't the right day" and I am just as sure she is in the game in some aspect as I was yesterday. This has no bearing on us at all.
I understand what you are saying but no one was saying this BEFORE the direct.

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Just got off work, so here's my thoughts:

• Why is she not an echo??? I don't understand how this works, Sakurai.
Because she has only one or twoish exact copy moves, a couple similar moves, and presumably a similar fighting style.
She's basically like Lucas and Wolf, Sakurai took a concept and made another moveset out of it, as opposed to something like Lucina (a straight clone) or Chrom (a straight clone with a couple different moves using preexisting assets.)

I understand what you are saying but no one was saying this BEFORE the direct.
That's why I mentioned in hindsight, I think the previous two announcements had kind of spoiled us into forgetting how general directs are normally ran.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Sakurai is gonna go all out at the next Smash direct and gonna blow all out minds

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
It would be right to have made this decision... if the character wasn’t a huge let down to many long term fans of Nintendo. Seriously, Dixie Kong wouldn’t have overshadowed the direct if she was shown, if the rest of it held up pretty solidly. Now the confirmation of Isabelle overshadows the rest of the direct BECAUSE of how lackluster it was compared to how many could’ve been. Would’ve been better to end on a high note, not the lowest of the low.
Dude I really think you're letting your biases get the better of you. I would of preferred Dixie as well but what makes you assume that Isabelle is a worse pick to reveal for this Direct? It was the perfect way to unveil a new AC game announcement and she's the De Facto mascot of one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. I think that outside of Smash speculation the gap between how much people wanted Dixie as opposed to Isabelle among the general audience is not as high as you're making it out to be.

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't either...except for Robin and Chrom interacting. Some characters in that artwork are quite clearly interacting with each other, such as the aforementioned FEA characters and Dr. Mario checking for Game & Watch's heartbeat with his stethoscope. Unless Daisy is thrusting her butt at either Wii Fit Trainer or Corrin, she's missing a hip check buddy.
I suppose, but It might just be Daisy being Goofy. Because she's a quirky character.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I understand, though at the same time a lot of nintendo fans were really excited to get animal crossing, even Etika was super hyped.
I'm only disappointed because I wanted more smash news. Other than that I want to pick myself up and enjoy this as much as I can.

D

Deleted member

I’m so disappointed no one died in the trailer I had a coffen ready for the victim:mad:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The only bad thing is we got absolutely nothing new to speculate over from this direct.

It's going to be a slow month on smashboards...
Slow two weeks, rather. It's halfway done.

Isabelle basically died when she found out she was invited to smash
>I wonder what's going on in this letter
>oh ****

Sakurai is gonna go all out at the next Smash direct and gonna blow all out minds
Isabelle's the calm before the storm.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, I'm curious how it's going to go from here. But anyway, it's still a new fighter and we'll get more. I found this:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I'm really pessimistic about the rest of the reveals. We already have more than enough characters to fill out the rest of the reveals, warning signs that Sakurai's running out of hype reveals, and evidence that Shantae could possibly be an AT.

Now I want to see the artist of the Ridley one do the reverse.
Remember, dude, even if a leaker got one right, it doesn't immediately validate his leak. And another thing, if he really had the balls to do a leak, he would do a picture leak with the characters he wanted in there, instead of just a text "leak". Besides, Vegen got **** wrong before this, so his leak is already invalidated in my eyes.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Exactly. People need to stop being salty, be happy we got another character, and be ready for the net smash direct sometime in october :)

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
I gotta say I liked the Isabelle reveal. If there was any time to do it, that was the best possible time, because there are a LOT of fans of Animal Crossing, and that+AC Switch would get a lot of people excited. It was honestly the perfect time for that in my opinion. Not big hype like other Smash trailers, but if there was a character to get a more lowkey trailer, Isabelle is the one. It definitely fits the tone for AC.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
I'm gonna be completely honest with you guys. I went into the Direct thinking they'd actually reserve 10 minutes just for Smash, instead of treating it as part of the normal line-up of games. And no, Nintendo's not at fault, because they know exactly how popular Smash is and would know to treat it like the other games so it wouldn't overshadow the rest of the line-up. It's our fault for expecting an event called "Nintendo Direct" to be "Smash Direct Lite w/ Nintendo Direct stuff". That being said though, the Direct is still lackluster because it doesn't necessarily explain its Online functionality well enough, even though this is the direct it was made for. That and I think they may have went gung ho with all the Final Fantasy stuff, though that's more opinion based than anything else.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm gonna be completely honest with you guys. I went into the Direct thinking they'd actually reserve 10 minutes just for Smash, instead of treating it as part of the normal line-up of games. And no, Nintendo's not at fault, because they know exactly how popular Smash is and would know to treat it like the other games so it wouldn't overshadow the rest of the line-up. It's our fault for expecting an event called "Nintendo Direct" to be "Smash Direct Lite w/ Nintendo Direct stuff". That being said though, the Direct is still lackluster because it doesn't necessarily explain its Online functionality well enough, even though this is the direct it was made for. That and I think they may have went gung ho with all the Final Fantasy stuff, though that's more opinion based than anything else.
I do think it was on the lackluster side. There's been worse nintendo directs tho.

Also, thanks for reminding me that even severe cases of pessimism can still be treated like concerns and worries like in other cases. It's not always easy to see it that way all the time.

Last edited:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
If everyone thinks that this thread has de-railed and being overdramatic. ALL the threads, (except Isabelle) is basically making this direct as if it's the sign of the apocalypse. This is a NINTENDO direct, we are lucky enough to get a little smash info from it.

If it was a Smash only direct, it'll definitely be different with possible multiple reveals.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Really, though, one of the absolute funniest things that happened was Toadette turning into Princess Peach when she gets her Super Mushroom-esque power-up. Because of just how unexpected it was.
Mean, they didn't call her Princess Toadstool for nothing, after all!
Oh, it's Peachette. But still, what the heck was that all about?!

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Dude I really think you're letting your biases get the better of you. I would of preferred Dixie as well but what makes you assume that Isabelle is a worse pick to reveal for this Direct? It was the perfect way to unveil a new AC game announcement and she's the De Facto mascot of one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. I think that outside of Smash speculation the gap between how much people wanted Dixie as opposed to Isabelle among the general audience is not as high as you're making it out to be.
The thing is, Smash basically needed a good announcement to drag the direct back up after the seven minutes of final fantasy and more than half a directs-worth of ports and third party stuff, besides, that’s the only game Nintendo is truly banking on besides Pikachu and Eevee + Mario Party for the holidays. That direct has way too much third party stuff to even be considered a Nintendo direct. Might as well have been called third party highlights or something like that, considering that’s all a good 28 minutes of that direct was. The point is that final fantasy shouldn’t have gotten a longer bit than smash.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
The thing is, Smash basically needed a good announcement to drag the direct back up after the seven minutes of final fantasy and more than half a directs-worth of ports and third party stuff, besides, that’s the only game Nintendo is truly banking on besides Pikachu and Eevee + Mario Party for the holidays. That direct has way too much third party stuff to even be considered a Nintendo direct. Might as well have been called third party highlights or something like that, considering that’s all a good 28 minutes of that direct was. The point is that final fantasy shouldn’t have gotten a longer bit than smash.
Sorry, but you're wrong. Nintendo NEEDS the third party support and needs to show that they have it. And all those Final Fantasy games? That's history for Nintendo there. They missed out on each one since VI.

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Final Fantasy was announcing several new games/ports. Smash Bros, as much as we all love it here, doesn't need to be the center of attention at every moment.
It's going to end up with at minimum two (and really three if we count E3, which had a direct sized portion dedicated to it) directs SOLELY to it.
That's a ridiculous amount of push, that just tiny bits of information sprinkled in general directs is enough, in my opinion.

As for the direct needing to be dragged back up, I think you are GREATLY underestimating how big the Animal Crossing announcement was.
That was a huge high note to end on, in general.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Really, though, one of the absolute funniest things that happened was Toadette turning into Princess Peach when she gets her Super Mushroom-esque power-up. Because of just how unexpected it was.
I have no clue, but it certainty opens a big can of worms. I can practicaly hear Matpat typing a new theory.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
I do think it was on the lackluster side. There's been worse nintendo directs tho.

Also, thanks for reminding me that even severe cases of pessimism can still be treated like concerns and worries like in other cases. It's not always easy to see it that way all the time.
Exactly! Even though I'm myself a pessimistic ****lord, at least I can somewhat recognize where Nintendo was going with this, at least after I got a dinner and stopped seeing red. :p
I'm not worried with Shantae because, to poorly quote Jazzy, "Even if this Direct doesn't show Shantae, that doesn't diminish her chances." Her chances are still higher than most people would expect from someone they consider "indie trash" or whatever derogatory term they come up for indie characters.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Toadette being in New Super Mario Bros. was the best part of the Direct. It was always kind of dumb that Nintendo had a ton of Mario characters but they would only use two generic toads for players 3 and 4 for NSMB. I Always thought they should Use Mario, Luigi, Toad and Toadette for the 4 characters. It has always made the most sense for that series. But I never thought they would actually do it and I certainly would have never guessed "Peachette" And Nabbitt, well he doesn't hurt.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Toadette being in New Super Mario Bros. was the best part of the Direct. It was always kind of dumb that Nintendo had a ton of Mario characters but they would only use two generic toads for players 3 and 4 for NSMB. Mario, Luigi, Toad and Toadette has always made the most sense for that series. And Nabbitt, well he doesn't hurt.
Kinda sad there is no blue toad though. Come on, he is the OG!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I will reconnect with yous tomorow. I should move on for resting & all.

Sorry for those that were expecting more. We'll get back on track as we go along. Gnight. :starman:
Also: well done to us on passing 200 pages ;) Forgot to talk about it ;p

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
This was the day all leaks were publicly and brutally executed. And you know what? I'm really happy about that.

Why?

This will change everything going into the next Smash direct, whenever it appears. Nothing has changed for Shantae.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Direct was cool, I still want Shantae but Isabelle was my #2, and I love that she's...unique? It's hard to tell.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Well, I'd say this thread is going to have almost nothing to do with Shantae for awhile. We've basically exhausted everything Shantae related at this point. Hope it picks up again eventually.
Shh... don't tell them our plan to turn this thread into a Spider-Man meme thread
Direct was cool, I still want Shantae but Isabelle was my #2, and I love that she's...unique? It's hard to tell.
By all acounts, it's unusual to me, too, but she's a Semi-Clone or a Semi-Echo, if you will of the Villager. Mainly, she has more unique moves, but she borrows from Villager, like how Dr. Mario has some more unique moves from Mario, though the opposite since Dr. Mario is Melee!Mario while Mario is like Brawl!Mario.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
This was the day all leaks were publicly and brutally executed. And you know what? I'm really happy about that.

Why?

This will change everything going into the next Smash direct, whenever it appears. Nothing has changed for Shantae.
I've been saying it for weeks now, but I'm 100% positive this game is unleakable. Non-Echo Isabelle is a testament to that. For the first time since Ashley got Assist'd again, I'm looking forward to speculate again.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Someone did die in her trailer. Tom Nook died inside.
Tangent, but I dislike this "die" meme. Characters aren't really dying and the hyperbole around the "violence" is something that bothers me profusely. No offense to you, but I had to get that off my chest.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I was really happy to see Toadette. Happy to have a female to play as in the game. I was expecting/hoping for daisy, but toadette looks adorable.

... Toadette for smash?

Top Bottom