• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
It's fine to express discontent or whatever, the problem is that you bring up these incredibly low and limiting scenarios as if Shantae has less chance, even to the point where you act as if it's normal that she wont be in as more than an AT.
You should know by now that we are in for the long-haul, and don't even think this affects her chances at all.
After all, there’s a certain three letter acronym we can all look forward to if she isn’t in the base: DLC!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Honestly, I think this direct was less disappointing than intended for most people. If it had not been delayed, I am sure people would have come out mostly satisfied. Instead, we got a weeks worth of buildup and less new content since several announcements were made outside of the direct. I still liked the direct, but I can see why some people are disappointed. Also, I found the Smash trailer rather clever, as it did not open with the smash symbol and was good at giving mixed signals on whether it was a new game or smash, at least up to the point Smash Bros was mentioned. And it tied in well the new game announcement, so that's a plus.
Trust me, I think the reception would’ve been a lot better from many if Dixie was shown instead, seeing as she is far more recognizable, and has a bigger fan base in general.
Idk, Isabelle is the face of a very popular series made for casual players. Sure she is newer, but she has had made waves since she hit the scene. In a general direct, she just makes sense.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Props guy's, you're taking this extremely well; as you should be xD. All Isabelle does is confirm semi-clones, hint's at even more characters and gives us an adorable playable pupper!

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
It's fine to express discontent or whatever, the problem is that you bring up these incredibly low and limiting scenarios as if Shantae has less chance, even to the point where you act as if it's normal that she wont be in as more than an AT.
You should know by now that we are in for the long-haul, and don't even think this affects her chances at all.
That specific post wasn't about discounting her chances, but I do apologize for exaggerating my concerns.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Props guy's, you're taking this extremely well; as you should be xD. All Isabelle does is confirm semi-clones, hint's at even more characters and gives us an adorable playable pupper!
We all know Isabelle’s only real intent was to rub more salt in Tom Nook’s already bleeding wound. She is literally the most evil character in Nintendo, moreso than even Ganon and Fawful (who might even end up in this smash, the way things are headed).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That specific post wasn't about discounting her chances, but I do apologize for exaggerating my concerns.

I don't usually point out this stuff, but you said:
warning signs that Sakurai's running out of hype reveals, and evidence that Shantae could possibly be an AT..
How does that not include shantae's chances? I was talking about how you're inferring that this somehow means there's going to be less good reveals, distrusting sakurai, and giving more to shantae being an AT.

How low of a scenario can you think up? I can't think of something much lower. Youre like super pessmistic dude. Gotta watch what you share of that if you can't help it.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I don't usually point out this stuff, but you said

How does that not include shantae's chances? I was talking about how you're inferring that this some means there's going to be less reveals, distrusting sakurai, and giving more to shantae being an AT.

How low of a scenario can you think up? I can't think of something much lower. Youre like super pessmistic dude. Gotta watch what you share of that if you can't help it.
Wow, you seem to be really salty right now.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
At this point I don’t even blame them. I’m gonna need some eye bleach after that direct.

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, as much as I, like most of us, bought into the hype, in a General direct, Shantae doesn't make nearly as much sense as someone as Isabelle. looking back

A general direct reveal, or at least an ideal one, should be one that might pull in people who weren't super interested in the game.
Shantae's install base, while dedicated, isn't really large enough that the non-crossover area between it and Smash would be huge.
Animal Crossing however, has a HUGE install base, many of which are more casual gamers, that are very dedicated to the game and the characters, especially Isabelle.
It's the same reason I feel like Isaac and Geno wouldn't have been good here, in hindsight. I feel both of them and Shantae would suit a Smash direct MUCH better.

So to me, this isn't a "well, that was our opportunity, game over," it's a "Hmm, this just wasn't the right day" and I am just as sure she is in the game in some aspect as I was yesterday. This has no bearing on us at all.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I still think the space behind Sonic next to Daisy is looking evermore suspicious. That's honestly still the most exciting piece of speculation we have imo.

Kalomaze

Smash Cadet
NNID
sonicmarioguy
Congratulations isabelle!!!! :)

EDIT: oh dear this thread is saltier than the seven seas like I was at first

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
ok why are some people so salty? I mean, while I wanted shantae, I felt a not as hype choice like a pokemon would be added. Isabelle is the best choice for a direct like this. And honestly, while I assumed she would be an echo, I am happy to see she is more like an Luigified Villager.

PLus the direct itself was pretty good. Not every game was super hype, but there were some really cool announcments. AC in 2019, all those final fantasy games, Demon x machina, New super mario bros U, and a bunch of others looked solid to me. So right now this is my feelings.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
You've seen my dark side. Well really it's just being angry at something I think really sucks. I don't want to attack anybody, if I can help it, just target the stuff.
Trust me, we all have our moments of salt and disappointment (if my thing about how pokemon games are becoming too easy from earlier wasn’t enough proof of that). Sometimes we just need to blow off some steam, and the best way to do it a lot of the time is to talk about and get thoughts on stuff out there before an internal explosion happens.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
You've seen my dark side. Well really it's just being angry at something I think really sucks. I don't want to attack anybody, if I can help it, just target the stuff.
I'm angry at everything, but I try my very best to conceal it. I'm also always anxious about everything, which is I why have asked everyone the question "do you dislike me" so many times.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Trust me, we all have our moments of salt and disappointment (if my thing about how pokemon games are becoming too easy from earlier wasn’t enough proof of that). Sometimes we just need to blow off some steam, and the best way to do it a lot of the time is to talk about and get thoughts on stuff out there before an internal explosion happens.
Sure, but I don't want to downplay the issue here, I'm letting someone know my feelings and thoughts about their behaviour, that's different than being mad at something you can't control or venting it out. (I think of venting as healthy sometimes if it doesn't bring others down though.)
Really, I'm fine with people expressing their feelings, even if they're upset about the reveals.

I'm angry at everything, but I try my hardest to conceal it.
We probably all have different emotions we don't know how to deal with fully. Sometimes it's good to let it flow, if it's something we believe in, but if we get lost in them or repress them it can end up not great. You don't need to conceal it, you just keep finding ways to feel true to yourself without spilling too much on others.. :O
:)

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Well, we didn't get Shantae, but we may get one more Smash Direct with all the characters revealed, and maybe she'll be announced then, hopefully :)

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Let's put it this way.

Shantae wasn't confirmed or deconfirmed. Neither was any other character besides Isabelle. This changes nothing about any characters' chances.

Frankly, revealing a character like Shantae or Geno during this Direct probably would have overshadowed all the other announcements and Nintendo wanted to avoid that. We were all probably expecting too much Smash content this time.

I'm positive we'll get a character drop or two in October and then the rest of them revealed in a November Smash Direct.

And I've always said that even if Shantae isn't in the base roster, I think she will be DLC.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Can we just all note that anime as heck Splatoon trailer. Makes me really crave for a Splatoon anime... Also, there was a lot of Final Fantasy, to the point that it is abundantly clear that Square and Nintendo are on really good terms right now and that Square is putting a lot of faith in the Switch(Though, the fact they made a whole team dedicated to the console has already made the known).

zferolie

Smash Hero
Can we just all note that anime as heck Splatoon trailer. Makes me really crave for a Splatoon anime... Also, there was a lot of Final Fantasy, to the point that it is abundantly clear that Square and Nintendo are on really good terms right now and that Square is putting a lot of faith in the Switch(Though, the fact they made a whole team dedicated to the console has already made the known).
Yeah that splatoon trailer was so anime i loved it haha

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Sure, but I don't want to downplay the issue here, I'm letting someone know my feelings about their behaviour, that's different than being mad at something you can't control and venting it out. (I think of venting has healthy if it doesn't bring others down.)

We probably all have different emotions we don't know how to deal with fully. Sometimes it's good to let it flow, if it's something we believe in, but if we get lost in them or repress them it can end up not great. You don't need to conceal it, you just keep finding ways to feel true to yourself without spilling on others.. :O
:)
Yeah I know I shouldn't try to conceal it too much, it's just because of a certain "incident" I had, that the thought of letting it run free terrifies me.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
I come here as a safe haven because I usually find positivity about Shantae's inclusion in the roster here, which drowns out the discouragement that naturally builds up during this agonizingly suspenseful wait for WF or Sakurai/Nintendo to say anything.

If it becomes negative here, too, then I guess I'll need to come back after everything is revealed and speculations are done and over with.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I come here as a safe haven because I usually find positivity about Shantae's inclusion in the roster here, which drowns out the discouragement that naturally builds up during this agonizingly suspenseful wait for WF or Sakurai/Nintendo to say anything.

If it becomes negative here, too, then I guess I'll need to come back after everything is revealed and speculations are done and over with.
Sorry if that was partly my fault. It seems to have gotten much worse around here since my arrival.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
And I've always said that even if Shantae isn't in the base roster, I think she will be DLC.
If Shantae isn't in base or has an AT, she's so clearly DLC. Otherwise Wayforward's NDA twitter antics don't make any sense from a business standpoint, tormenting your fans isn't good, especially for a company that loves to keep their fans updated and happy.

In addition to that, all the bizarre references and circumstantial evidence would be proven as one of the biggest chain of coincidences I've ever witnessed.

On a more pessimistic note, if they stop revealing characters at 70 I fear for our chances. Hopefully we are getting a reveal a month, because if we only get one more smash direct, we'll stop at 70 Characters and I'm fairly certain that Isaac is a lock, so that puts us at a tie for last place with Geno, Skull Kid, and Paper Mario respectively.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Sorry if that was partly my fault. It seems to have gotten much worse around here since my arrival.
Nonsense, you are a fun birdy, it's entirely understandable to have doubts.

Ack, double posted.

Last edited:

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
If Shantae isn't in base or has an AT, she's so clearly DLC. Otherwise Wayforward's NDA twitter antics don't make any sense from a business standpoint, tormenting your fans isn't good, especially for a company that loves to keep their fans updated and happy.

In addition to that, all the bizarre references and circumstantial evidence would be proven as one of the biggest chain of coincidences I've ever witnessed.

On a more pessimistic note, if they stop revealing characters at 70 I fear for our chances. Hopefully we are getting a reveal a month, because if we only get one more smash direct, we'll stop at 70 Characters and I'm fairly certain that Isaac is a lock, so that puts us at a tie for last place with Geno, Skull Kid, and Paper Mario respectively.
Which makes me wonder if we're going to even get any DLC. As well as if the "remaining slots/spots" would affect it any.

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
o_O... Everyone seriously needs to chill. Like... I get being disappointed,but geez. This was inconsequential to anyone's chances... Unless you wanted Tom Nook.
everyone was just hyped up because instead of the reveal the next day we had a week to speculate. Maintain the good vibes. Literally nothing happened. Enjoy Isabelle fishing people out of the ocean and setting traps and clam down.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
In other news, Daisy's butt still doesn't have a partner in the artwork, so Shantae is basically confirmed

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy Maybe you think you're more of some ways than you are.

o_O... Everyone seriously needs to chill. Like... I get being disappointed,but geez. This was inconsequential to anyone's chances... Unless you wanted Tom Nook.
everyone was just hyped up because instead of the reveal the next day we had a week to speculate. Maintain the good vibes. Literally nothing happened. Enjoy Isabelle fishing people out of the ocean and setting traps and clam down.
It's normal and it'll settle down, and it's not everyone that's all upset or whatever. S'ok

We'll still get back to shantae and speculate, but maybe it'll have to be less focused, cuz if people are too impatient it's going to be hard to enjoy their journey on :p
I think there'll be a smash direct in not too long, dunno when tho. I'll say within one month, and probably not even that long..

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
But we already knew he's not playable because he's still part of Villager's final smash (and now Isabelle's).

Also I find the notion of characters needing to be "hype" enough laughable when we have characters like Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch and Wii Fit Trainer.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Keep your expectations low and you won't get disappointed. Meanwhile, try some new Nintendo games starring characters of other support threads (assuming you already played every Shantae game) and maybe you'll find someone new to add to your most wanted. It always helps.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What do you mean?
Well you think you've been negative or brought some on, but I didn't really see you as negative. Maybe some things on rare occasions, but I wasnt even sure on that. The most you've done is point out double posts and ask questions because you're worried. And it's not like it went that much in our talks on others stuff or anything.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Right now, I say Nintendo has done the right direction to control the hype since if another character that has more hype behind him/her. It would cause hype for the other series in the direct be overshadowed.

I say that those characters will have their time to shine once another Smash Direct is announced.
Till then, let Isabelle sort it out and turn a new leaf over.

Made by joaoppereiraus

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman

I agree. No other character has this strong of evidence supporting them as Shantae does. The closest is Geno but not really...

In other news, Daisy's butt still doesn't have a partner in the artwork, so Shantae is basically confirmed
While it's a fun and interesting concept, I've never taken this theory seriously.

EDIT: Crap, sorry again for the double post.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Just got off work, so here's my thoughts:

• Disappointed with no Shantae, but Isabelle is fine. I guess.
  • The reveal itself had almost 0 hype for me, unfortunately. Trailer was underwhelming.
  • Why is she not an echo??? I don't understand how this works, Sakurai.
  • Excited for the new Animal Crossing, tho.
  • WHO'S READY FOR ANOTHER ****ING MONTH OF WAITING

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, I hope we all have a good night, and sleep off some stuff, and we'll see what the future brings.
I'm looking to the next smash direct, but also maybe slowing down a bit. We'll get back to flowing one way or another..

:disco:

Last edited:
Top Bottom