• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

MagusOfIllusions

Smash Cadet
I just made a possible realization, It seems that we may have been looking at the stuff in the background of sakurai's last direct all wrong. We tried to connect stuff to color's only however if you look at the background in a house design way it makes sense that it would look like the stuff you would do in the animal crossing games.

It feels casual and modern in design, Just a nice bookshelf there a foodton here and two fun colorfull chairs there.

Anyway thats what I think it means. What do you guys think?

Now we have to wait for our possible october smash direct to see what cheeky Sakurai does next in his backgrounds and in general.

I believe that if we were to get Shantae it would be in a smash central direct with more time to flesh out her reveal.
Isabelle just made way too much sense for a general nintendo direct reveal especially with the new game anouncement cause if you look at all the remaining
new fighters that were popular during the smash ballot days most of them would very unlikely have a new game on the horizon to use in a general nintendo direct. After all Shantae, Geno, Issac are not big faces within nintendo's big franchises so they would'nt work well to be revealed this way.

Now the question remains, Who's next and how many?

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I think it's safe to say we went in expecting a unique newcomer and a lot of us got let down. It would have been cool if there was a reveal for an actual new fighter, but there wasn't.

I just made a possible realization, It seems that we may have been looking at the stuff in the background of sakurai's last direct all wrong. We tried to connect stuff to color's only however if you look at the background in a house design way it makes sense that it would look like the stuff you would do in the animal crossing games.

It feels casual and modern in design, Just a nice bookshelf there a foodton here and two fun colorfull chairs there.

Anyway thats what I think it means. What do you guys think?

Now we have to wait for our possible october smash direct to see what cheeky Sakurai does next in his backgrounds and in general.

I believe that if we were to get Shantae it would be in a smash central direct with more time to flesh out her reveal.
Isabelle just made way too much sense for a general nintendo direct reveal especially with the new game anouncement cause if you look at all the remaining
new fighters that were popular during the smash ballot days most of them would very unlikely have a new game on the horizon to use in a general nintendo direct. After all Shantae, Geno, Issac are not big faces within nintendo's big franchises so they would'nt work well to be revealed this way.

Now the question remains, Who's next and how many?
I'm really worried that Sakurai is out of hype reveals. Vergeben leaked confirmed a Pokemon and a Square Rep, likely being Geno. That covers the October and November reveals. If there's another reveal. It's gonna be Skull Kid, Steve or Isaac. It looks like "Better Luck Next Time" for everyone else.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Now the question remains, Who's next?
Since I’m dead inside, I literally will die outside if they don’t give me at least one of my top ten. Not that hard considering they all have a shot (especially Crash for dlc)
I think it's safe to say we went in expecting a unique newcomer and a lot of us got let down. It would have been cool if there was a reveal for an actual new fighter, but there wasn't.

I'm really worried that Sakurai is out of hype reveals. Vergeben leaked confirmed a Pokemon and a Square Rep, likely being Geno. That covers the October and November reveals. If there's another reveal. It's gonna be Skull Kid, Steve or Isaac. It looks like "Better Luck Next Time" for everyone else.
Don’t count Dixie or Banjo out just yet! They still have better odds than Isaac or Skull Kid of being playable!

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Guys...guys you know what this means right, we're very likely to get one more Smash Direct, likely nex month or November....Shantae is gunna be #69 lol.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Is she really much of a curveball though? She's Animal Crossing's mascot!
She was definitely wanted and people expected her, to be an echo. The curveball is that she is her own unique fighter.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Imagine this playing during the Shantae reveal
I'd rather they use Dance Through the Danger. I think it would make the fans more happy and the haters over at GameFAQs go ape****. Look at how they're reacting over Isabelle.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
She was definitely wanted and people expected her, to be an echo. The curveball is that she is her own unique fighter.
But there are certain others that will cause eyebrows to raise if they happen to be echoes because of this (Dixie Kong and Shadow come to mind)

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Guys...guys you know what this means right, we're very likely to get one more Smash Direct, likely nex month or November....Shantae is gunna be #69 lol.
If we're lucky, two! One about Smash's story mode, definitely. But also I hope we get another fact dump direct, that'd be cool. Adding in more tidbits and polishy things. But at least one Smash direct, yeah!

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I'm really pessimistic about the rest of the reveals. We already have more than enough characters to fill out the rest of the reveals, warning signs that Sakurai's running out of hype reveals, and evidence that Shantae could possibly be an AT.

Her inclusion makes these post E3 salty takes hilarious now:

She's ready now...
Now I want to see the artist of the Ridley one do the reverse.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Captain N the Game Master would be hilarious!
Yes, yes he would. Especially since Pit, Mega Man, and Simon are all here.

Sure Luigi’s mansion was nice to see, and so was New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe. But those + Yoshi’s Crafted World don’t make up at all for the lackluster event that the rest of the direct was. Seriously, let’s go Pikachu and Eevee are turning out to be real letdowns: “only Pikachu and Eevee can use HMs, only Pikachu and Eevee have exclusive hairstyles, only Pikachu and Eevee can use high power special moves...” see where I’m going with this? What good is a Rhydon if it can’t be my HM slave?
HM Slaves are a thing of the past. Personally, I'm loving what I'm seeing from Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee.

As for the Direct, there was some neat stuff. It blew my mind when they started going over all the Final Fantasy games coming. I guess Jon from GameXplain was right! Bet he's going to rub that in the doubters' faces during the inevitable 40-minute discussion video. Isabelle...honestly, when it first came up, I thought it was a new Animal Crossing thing. But hey, she's cute and a new female character. And like I said, the only way I'd be mad at a fighter reveal would be if they shoehorned Goku into this game.

EDIT: Why are people panicking and saying Sakurai doesn't have any hype reveals left? Maybe he saw all the whining that "Smash overshadowed E3" and decided he only wanted to reveal a low-key character during this direct. Shantae, Isaac, Geno...they all still have a chance, people.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
HM Slaves are a thing of the past. Personally, I'm loving what I'm seeing from Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee.
Only a casual fan would say that they like this extremely disappointing and easy pokemon game. Sun and Moon may have been hand-holdy but the whole “curve the difficulty toward casual fans” thing is finally starting to get on my nerves. What’s the point of ever catching any additional Pokémon when all you’ll need are your trusty crap sticks that suck in true Pokémon games? Just take a few minutes to think about that and realize that pokemon is getting too easy and uses the same cheap formula every time at this point. I wish things could just be as much normal difficulty as gen 1-4, but I suppose times have changed.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
This was a Nintendo Direct, everyone. I don't think they wanted Smash to overshadow the rest of the content like it did at E3. They likely wanted to avoid a repeat of that.

Also, if you're going to put stock into any leaker you're only setting yourself up for disappointment. None of these people are credible and you shouldn't base any of your expectations on them.

Again, Shantae's chances are exactly the same tonight as they were this morning. There's no need to panic or jump ship again.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Not even salty bois, this just gives us more time to be hype and gives haters more time to hate before they get roasted :demon:

Isabelle looks dope

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
This was a Nintendo Direct, everyone. I don't think they wanted Smash to overshadow the rest of the content like it did at E3. They likely wanted to avoid a repeat of that.

Also, if you're going to put stock into any leaker you're only setting yourself up for disappointment. None of these people are credible and you shouldn't base any of your expectations on them.

Again, Shantae's chances are exactly the same tonight as they were this morning. There's no need to panic or jump ship again.
I didn't see anyone jump ship. I thought everyone was pretty okay with this.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Only a casual fan would say that they like this extremely disappointing and easy pokemon game. Sun and Moon may have been hand-holdy but the whole “curve the difficulty toward casual fans” thing is finally starting to get on my nerves. What’s the point of ever catching any additional Pokémon when all you’ll need are your trusty crap sticks that suck in true Pokémon games? Just take a few minutes to think about that and realize that pokemon is getting too easy and uses the same cheap formula every time at this point. I wish things could just be as much normal difficulty as gen 1-4, but I suppose times have changed.
So, even though I've been a Pokemon fan since gen 1, I can't enjoy Pokemon if it's not "hard"? Forgive me if I find that insulting. I don't play the Pokemon games to farm the perfect IV'ed monsters. I play it for fun. Like I do any game. Games aren't work. If you make a game work, then it's no longer a game, it's a job. Except YOU pay for it instead of getting paid.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I didn't think see anybody jump ship. I thought everyone was pretty okay with this.
Is it possible to be pessimistic without "jumping ship", because I think Shantae still has a chance, as long as those 2 Suspicious Nindie blog posts are left unposted, but I'm still very skeptical about those chances?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm really pessimistic about the rest of the reveals. We already have more than enough characters to fill out the rest of the reveals, warning signs that Sakurai's running out of hype reveals, and evidence that Shantae could possibly be an AT.

Now I want to see the artist of the Ridley one do the reverse.
Can you stop trying to bring others down with you? It's really getting on my nerves now.
You have your own thoughts about the verge leaks and what's possible, I and some others have other thoughts. It's annoying to see you pass your thoughts as if that's how it is when we want to explore openly.

Last edited:

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Well, going into ultimate, I had three main wishes:
First Inkling, second a unique Isabelle and third was Shantae.
I was pretty sure that unique Isabelle was out of the question once the echos came pouring in, and Inkling got confirmed, so Shantae became my most wanted.
Today really surprised me in the happiest way, and honestly out of pretty much any character, it'd be hard to find someone who makes MORE sense for a general direct, especially with the Animal Crossing announcement tie-in.
So now my top two are in, and Shantae is still VERY much alive, this changes absolutely nothing except giving us an adorable newcomer.
So let's please go for a full sweep Sakurai <3
I like Isabelle and I'm cool with her being in, but that has seriously got to be the least hype I've ever felt for a Smash trailer. The whole thing felt incredibly dull. I get it's the super relaxing Animal Crossing series, but come on.
I was actually on the edge of my seat, honestly.
They kept switching between teasing Smash and teasing the new Animal Crossing up until Pete showed up, and I wasn't 100% sure which until then since there was no logo

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
So, even though I've been a Pokemon fan since gen 1, I can't enjoy Pokemon if it's not "hard"? Forgive me if I find that insulting. I don't play the Pokemon games to farm the perfect IV'ed monsters. I play it for fun. Like I do any game. Games aren't work. If you make a game work, then it's no longer a game, it's a job. Except YOU pay for it instead of getting paid.
I guess it’s just in my blood to enjoy a solid game with a good challenge. Forgive for saying this, it’s just an opinion, but outside of Salazzle and and Lycanroc, not many of the new gen 7 mons quite lived up to my expectations. Not exactly a good recovery after the last gen already gave us a lackluster pool of new pokemon to use, which weren’t that good to begin with. I don’t get why so many people choose to hate on gen 3 when it had much better pokes than the other two. To me, a good Pokémon game comes with the adrenaline rush and excitement I get when facing the Champion, or the fun adventures had throughout and catching the most cool Pokémon in the region. The pacing of XY was too slow for me, and Sun and Moon held people’s hands too much.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Unrelated to Shantae, but can anyone tell what stage this is from? It doesn't look like one we've seen before.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Look on the bright side, Shantae wasn't deconfirmed and neither were a lot of characters I'm hoping for like Geno, Bandana Dee, or Decidueye.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I can't handle the frenzied nature of this thread, it's making me feel nauseous and also (somehow) depressed.
I was already depressed from the fact that half the direct’s reveals were just RPGs with no name/final fantasy. I went in thinking i wouldn’t be able to be disappointed, but here I am, a bit shocked to see how truly pathetic Pokemon Let’s go will be and the fact that I now must wait an entire year before pokemon has a chance to redeem itself.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

I guess it’s just in my blood to enjoy a solid game with a good challenge. Forgive for saying this, it’s just an opinion, but outside of Salazzle and and Lycanroc, not many of the new gen 7 mons quite lived up to my expectations. Not exactly a good recovery after the last gen already gave us a lackluster pool of new pokemon to use, which weren’t that good to begin with. I don’t get why so many people choose to hate on gen 3 when it had much better pokes than the other two. To me, a good Pokémon game comes with the adrenaline rush and excitement I get when facing the Champion, or the fun adventures had throughout and catching the most cool Pokémon in the region. The pacing of XY was too slow for me, and Sun and Moon held people’s hands too much.
Different strokes I suppose. I personally found Gen 4 and 5 to be the most boring Pokemon wise initially, though Nuzlocking them changed my outlook on some(except Bidoof...seriously, why does it exist?). However, I do agree with you on Gen 3, one of my all time favorite Bug-types was introduced, but no one seems to care about Ninjask but me... But I will say that Lycanroc is my favorite Gen 7 Pokemon in all its forms, so we at least agree on that!

BTW, I don't recommend a Nuzlocke of Platinum...that game is painful to Nuzlocke.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I can't handle the frenzied nature of this thread, it's making me feel nauseous and also (somehow) depressed.
To be honest, it really wavered, including some people having stuff to deal with brought out. (or spilled out)

I'll say, maybe it's not surprising considering how repressed some people were and holding out for a lot. Ya know?

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Different strokes I suppose. I personally found Gen 4 and 5 to be the most boring Pokemon wise initially, though Nuzlocking them changed my outlook on some(except Bidoof...seriously, why does it exist?). However, I do agree with you on Gen 3, one of my all time favorite Bug-types was introduced, but no one seems to care about Ninjask but me... But I will say that Lycanroc is my favorite Gen 7 Pokemon in all its forms, so we at least agree on that!

BTW, I don't recommend a Nuzlocke of Platinum...that game is painful to Nuzlocke.
I enjoyed Ninjask, and often felt that it, along with others (Zangoose, Seviper, Wailord, Torkoal, and more) were severely overlooked.
Also, Platinum was painful to beat in general, but that’s what made it so fun and exciting to me. I will never forget the amazing underleveled lucky streak I had against Cynthia after changing my team and strategy multiple times.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
To be honest, it really wavered, including some people having stuff to deal with brought out. (or spilled out)

I'll say, maybe it's not surprising considering how repressed some people were and holding out for a lot. Ya know?
I kinda feel that it was because people were expecting a full-fledged newcomer reveal for a unique fighter, rather than just a Semi-Clone, and would have reacted that way regardless of who it was to be a semi-clone.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I enjoyed Ninjask, and often felt that it, along with others (Zangoose, Seviper, Wailord, Torkoal, and more) were severely overlooked.
Also, Platinum was painful to beat in general, but that’s what made it so fun and exciting to me. I will never forget the amazing underleveled lucky streak I had against Cynthia after changing my team and strategy multiple times.
HHuuuuaaaaghh PLatinum Nuzlocke was PAIN

Shadowknight1

Surprisingly, in my Platinum Nuzlocke, I swept Cynthia. And Torkoal is a great Pokemon, such a shame it is relegated to just that form and isn't very strong. But hey, that's all Pokemon talk, maybe we should get back to talking about belly dancing half genie girls?

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I kinda feel that it was because people were expecting a full-fledged newcomer reveal for a unique fighter, rather than just a Semi-Clone, and would have reacted that way regardless of who it was.
Trust me, I think the reception would’ve been a lot better from many if Dixie was shown instead, seeing as she is far more recognizable, and has a bigger fan base in general.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I kinda feel that it was because people were expecting a full-fledged newcomer reveal for a unique fighter, rather than just a Semi-Clone, and would have reacted that way regardless of who it was.
It's fine to express discontent or whatever, the problem is that you bring up these incredibly low and limiting scenarios as if Shantae has less chance, even to the point where you act as if it's normal that she wont be in as more than an AT.
You should know by now that we are in for the long-haul, and don't even think this affects her chances.

Last edited:
Top Bottom