• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hmm, I am seeing talk that this may have been a rushed forced pick, and the actual FP5 was moved to the next pass. Right after they Announced Byleth they showed off more FE three houses DLC, so people are thinking they added Byleth in after the huge success of that game.

How do you guys feel about that theory?
I think that's a solid theory.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hi loves. just checking in to see how you're all doing :)

At least one female in the dlc. Would've prefered shantae but ya know :p

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
I hope some people will finally learn from this.
Sakurai is a troll.
Nintendo can and will lie to misdirect people.
And people who "leak" are 99% BS

Still hoping Shantae made the cut in the end.

Last edited:

etnoika

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah and didn't Reggie at the 2018 VGA's say something about all the characters coming from new worlds? I don't think Fire Emblem's a new world...
I get the feeling that maybe Byleth was originally meant to be the first reveal of the post-FP. And whoever #5 was got pushed till later.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hi loves. just checking in to see how you're all doing :)

At least one female in the dlc. Would've prefered shantae but ya know :p
I never got into FE, but female Byleth's leggings had me very VERY tempted.... but I'll settle for using her in smash. Shes pretty.

Samurai is a troll.

I think Shantae has a solid shot. It really depends if they will promote spirits. I wish Sakuraio or nintendo would just give us a solid answer on that. if they promote spirits, then she is a soild yes happening.

I get the feeling that maybe Byleth was originally meant to be the first reveal of the post-FP. And whoever #5 was got pushed till later.
Yeah thats what it looks like. The HUGE success of Three houses probubly had them do that, which may also be why they didn't have a reveal ready for the game awards maybe?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just a small heads up, this DLC pass is going to finish on December 2021. So, this means that we could get three characters in 2020 and another 3 in 2021

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Just a small heads up, this DLC pass is going to finish on December 2021. So, this means that we could get three characters in 2020 and another 3 in 2021
That's certainly saying they're moving more of the staff to newer projects. But I didn't notice how long it'd last. That will feel like forever.

Dukefire

Smash Master
That's certainly saying they're moving more of the staff to newer projects. But I didn't notice how long it'd last. That will feel like forever.
that could be the case yes. This could also mean that E3 might just have one reveal unlike the one last year and the one before in 2018

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Sharing this from the Geno thread.

Check this out

Basicly quick translation is this
FP1 was supposed be Hero / Terry / Banjo / Hayabusa / Joker.
After FP1's reveal, Nintendo noticed that Hayabusa got leaked but FP2 was decided fairly soon after Ultimates' release, they decided to move Hayabusa into FP2. This was also because they wanted to keep pace with Koei Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden project development.
FP2 was decided before E3, but the lineup was finalized in the summer after E3.
FP3 is already has been decided and they are still under negotiations.
The character revealed tomorrow is someone from Nintendo who was supposed to be in FP2

Basicly the claim here is byleth and Ryu hayabusa switched places for reveals

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The wait will be UNBEARABLE!!! But really, if we at least get a couple of big hitters like our gal Shantae, Geno, and Waluigi than it will be worth the wait. :)

Dukefire

Smash Master
I would tread careful after the "leaks" fell apart with Byleth coming to teach in the Smash House.

also, some light from the presentation
-Rabbits are not coming as a fighter (sigh of relief), but a Mii Costume
-Certain Indies may become a Mii Costume with one sound track (could be a darkness, but its a guess in the dark.)
-Six more chances for Round 2 of DLC
- This DLC pack will last for 2 years. (which could end up having less reveal chances in directs and possibly E3)

zferolie

Smash Hero
I want to add something to that. I don't think nintendo got scared and swapped Byleth and Ryu, I think rather they saw how much money Three houses made, and then swapped it to promote it.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
The wait will be UNBEARABLE!!! But really, if we at least get a couple of big hitters like our gal Shantae, Geno, and Waluigi than it will be worth the wait. :)
the downside is we'll have to put up with even more people claiming to be super smart leakers until then....

we needed less of this "This person said this" Crap not more of it and for a longer period of time

Dukefire

Smash Master
I want to add something to that. I don't think nintendo got scared and swapped Byleth and Ryu, I think rather they saw how much money Three houses made, and then swapped it to promote it.
oh yeah, then Nintendo would have a change on reveals if the game did become very popular with plenty of people. Which Byleth joined since Three Houses was popular with a lot of people.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Not to rain on your parade, but I feel getting two Ubisoft Mii Costumes now actually hurts Rayman's chances. It would make the most sense to release those along side him releasing as a fighter, no?
Good point, but I don't think I want to rain on their parade.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If Season Pass 3 happens than Shantae has to get in at some point because I don't see them overlooking her after adding so many DLC characters and adding other highly requested characters from the Smash 4/Ballot era :ultridley:, :ultkrool:, and :ultbanjokazooie:. She was up there with them along with Shovel Knight in the Smash Ballot.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So we have 6 more confirmed fighters, and if what I posted is true, maybe another FP after with I would guess between 4-6. As for who I want/expect in this next Fighters Pass, here are mine predictions. Order May be different.

6: Ryu. I really think they were planned for the first pack, but moved to capitalize on the FE money. Not bad, as Byleth looks really fun to play. Ryu would be the last NES classic missing in some way, and a new rep. I see this revealed in the next General direct released in April

7: Geno. This would be the big E3 reveal to get the hype flowing for the fighters pass, same that Joker and banjo did.

8: Shantae I'm still pushing my girl hard. She's going to be the big indie playable fighter. Other indies will get the mii costume treatment most likely. I see Hallow Knight becoming a sword fighter for example, and Cadance getting a sword fighter as well.

9: Crash. I think he is happening at some point. He is an gaming icon and also fits a period of gaming History for the early sony vs Nintendo stuff.

10: Doomguy. I think someone from Bethesda is happening, and its probaly him.

11: Rex and Pyra. I really think Sakurai likes them, despite... well saying they were too new but Byleth gets added in. That I blaim on Nintendo not wanting to add rex and pyra in. this could maybe still happen, and I think its likely.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Wow, boy has it been a while since I last logged in here. Probably over a year. Glad to see this thread is still going strong, and I hope you all are doing well.

Sooo... what do you all think of Shantae's chances for Fighters Pass 2?

I basically ruled her out for Fighters Pass 1, based on the fact that Matt Bozon was tweeting about supporting her for DLC - something I can't imagine he would have done if there were any plans or negotiations for her to join the roster at the time.

As for her FP2 chances, I don't know what to think, personally. She was requested a lot during the Smash Ballot, and many of the other popular Ballot characters have made it in. Plus, the Shovel Knight AT and the indie Mii costumes all help normalize the idea of indie representation in Smash. An indie Challenger Pack doesn't sound so implausible alongside all that representation, and Shantae still seems like a logical choice for that. Plus, during the Terry broadcast, didn't Sakurai straight up say that it's fine if a fighter isn't known by everyone, so long as they are fun and interesting?

On the other hand, consider the picks for FP1. A lot of emphasis on big third party characters that nobody was expecting. Not a lot of emphasis on shared history with Nintendo. With characters like Joker and Terry coming to Smash, the doors are wide open to a huge array of potential newcomers. If Shantae's Ballot support or history with Nintendo doesn't serve as a strong advantage for her, then she really is the longest of longshots. While she isn't nearly as obscure as some people like to pretend, gaming is a big world, and there are loads of characters famous in their own right who could grab a spot in FP2. If you count on 1-2 spots in FP2 being reserved for promotional characters (maybe another Pokémon, hopefully not even more FE), then that is some fierce competition for just 4-5 spots.

Also, anything big I've missed around here in the last, oh, 800 pages or so?

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
For now, Indie characters are getting in. Just not as a fighter, but in Assist Trophy and now Mii costumes. (More are to be expected soon. Odd number of costume waves I guess.)
Artist: rariatoo on twitter
EOaeJlfU8AEBwX3.jpeg

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Wow, boy has it been a while since I last logged in here. Probably over a year. Glad to see this thread is still going strong, and I hope you all are doing well.

Sooo... what do you all think of Shantae's chances for Fighters Pass 2?

I basically ruled her out for Fighters Pass 1, based on the fact that Matt Bozon was tweeting about supporting her for DLC - something I can't imagine he would have done if there were any plans or negotiations for her to join the roster at the time.

As for her FP2 chances, I don't know what to think, personally. She was requested a lot during the Smash Ballot, and many of the other popular Ballot characters have made it in. Plus, the Shovel Knight AT and the indie Mii costumes all help normalize the idea of indie representation in Smash. An indie Challenger Pack doesn't sound so implausible alongside all that representation, and Shantae still seems like a logical choice for that. Plus, during the Terry broadcast, didn't Sakurai straight up say that it's fine if a fighter isn't known by everyone, so long as they are fun and interesting?

On the other hand, consider the picks for FP1. A lot of emphasis on big third party characters that nobody was expecting. Not a lot of emphasis on shared history with Nintendo. With characters like Joker and Terry coming to Smash, the doors are wide open to a huge array of potential newcomers. If Shantae's Ballot support or history with Nintendo doesn't serve as a strong advantage for her, then she really is the longest of longshots. While she isn't nearly as obscure as some people like to pretend, gaming is a big world, and there are loads of characters famous in their own right who could grab a spot in FP2. If you count on 1-2 spots in FP2 being reserved for promotional characters (maybe another Pokémon, hopefully not even more FE), then that is some fierce competition for just 4-5 spots.

Also, anything big I've missed around here in the last, oh, 800 pages or so?
Um several rotations of moveset arguments and hyped moments waiting for Seven Sirens announcements.

Though you seem a bit informed on the shared Nintendo history part. Only Joker really didn't have any. Banjo was a major platforming mascot that rivaled Mario and Crash back in the day. Dragon Quest started way back on Nintendo. And Terry's franchise spurred an event that cued the inspiration to Sakurai to create Smash Bros. So they have some relevancy.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Ooooh indie mii costumes. I can a best see Cadence, Hollow Knight, and Freddy Fazbear left for this kind of thing

Byleth is made better due to using 4 different weapons and representing the weapon triangle of FE finally. Overall abit disappoint but still happy with outcome. I laughed when I saw Byleth, knew the rage all across the internet was imminent.

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
Ooooh indie mii costumes. I can a best see Freddy Fazbear left for this kind of thing
I have doubts. There are extremely few horror games acknowledged in Smash and they're either Nintendo-owned or Resident Evil. They opened the door of course, but I'm pretty sure that representation of this style of games will remain minimal

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Um several rotations of moveset arguments and hyped moments waiting for Seven Sirens announcements.

Though you seem a bit informed on the shared Nintendo history part. Only Joker really didn't have any. Banjo was a major platforming mascot that rivaled Mario and Crash back in the day. Dragon Quest started way back on Nintendo. And Terry's franchise spurred an event that cued the inspiration to Sakurai to create Smash Bros. So they have some relevancy.
Hey! Thanks for the brief update.

You are right about all of those Nintendo connections, but I think you are misinterpreting my point. My statement was that Fighters Pass 1 as a whole didn't place much emphasis on shared Nintendo history, not that the included characters lack any connection to Nintendo.

We should remember that Nintendo is a titan of the gaming world. As far back as the 80s, Nintendo consoles have always been one of the dominant home consoles, sometimes THE dominant home console. Outside of console exclusives and PC-only titles, a total lack of Nintendo history is almost more the exception rather than the rule.

Sakurai being a fan of SNK and taking some influence from the series may be a valid reason to include Terry, but that doesn't equate to Fatal Fury or King of Fighters having a deep connection to Nintendo.

Again, my point is that if Sakurai and Nintendo were placing a premium on including third parties who have a strong background with Nintendo, this doesn't seem like the lineup they would have gone with. There are plenty of third party characters with stronger Nintendo connections than Joker and Terry in particular.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well, tho I am disappointed with Byleth, I have to say prospects with a second fighters pass look good. With 6 more character on the horizon, our girls chances look better than ever. Consider this...

Not only are there more slots in the next pass, increasing her and anyone's chances just because of simple math, but also everyone who made it in this pass are now removed as competition. Add to that other possible competing characters who are likely disconfirmed thanks to costumes (Sans, Cuphead, and I would deconfirm Rayman) and her chances are even greater.

It's gonna be a long wait likely, but we aren't out of the running and have better chances than ever!

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Hollow Knight and Quote are next on the mii fighter block, I think. They could both fit into the Swordfighter and Gunner roles.

Shantae, on the other hand, does not fit any of those molds. So either she will become playable, or just stay as a spirit.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Well, tho I am disappointed with Byleth, I have to say prospects with a second fighters pass look good. With 6 more character on the horizon, our girls chances look better than ever. Consider this...

Not only are there more slots in the next pass, increasing her and anyone's chances just because of simple math, but also everyone who made it in this pass are now removed as competition. Add to that other possible competing characters who are likely disconfirmed thanks to costumes (Sans, Cuphead, and I would deconfirm Rayman) and her chances are even greater.

It's gonna be a long wait likely, but we aren't out of the running and have better chances than ever!
I would only count 5 slots.
Since I am halfway expecting to have one unpopular pick as the last character in the next pass as well.
It was true in the base game with Incineroar and it's true now in the first FP with Byleth.

However, it's true that Shantae's chances have not disappeared.
She is still in the running and has a solid chance to get in.

Also, why does WayForward keep giving us the silent treatment? oO

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Tin Foil Hat theory time: I think Shantae WAS the original 5th Fighter for the first DLC pass. Think about it, we all expected Fighter Five to be revealed at the Game Awards but yet nothing happened. We wouldn't get news until two days ago. Combine that with the fact that Shantae and the Seven Sirens was delayed ON THE SAME DAY as the Game Awards(which is weird in and off itself). So I believe Shantae and both her Smash Fighter appearance and game were going to be released last month yet due to the unexpected delay Sakurai had to take Byleth(who I believe was Fighter #6) and switch him with our girl Shantae.

Sakurai saying that he made that video in November didn't make sense at all. I believe he made that video early this month to showcase Byleth as introduction of the second fighters pass.

Heck too many coincidences happen around Seven Sirens to be just that.

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
Oh my god guys did you hear we're getting SIX NEW FIG-

...oh. I'm late as usual. Carry on!

Tin Foil Hat theory time: I think Shantae WAS the original 5th Fighter for the first DLC pass. Think about it, we all expected Fighter Five to be revealed at the Game Awards but yet nothing happened. We wouldn't get news until two days ago. Combine that with the fact that Shantae and the Seven Sirens was delayed ON THE SAME DAY as the Game Awards(which is weird in and off itself). So I believe Shantae and both her Smash Fighter appearance and game were going to be released last month yet due to the unexpected delay Sakurai had to take Byleth(who I believe was Fighter #6) and switch him with our girl Shantae.

Sakurai saying that he made that video in November didn't make sense at all. I believe he made that video early this month to showcase Byleth as introduction of the second fighters pass.

Heck too many coincidences happen around Seven Sirens to be just that.
Dammit I put away my tinfoil hat now you're making me wear it again! xD

Either way I have a good feeling about FP2. And if there's truly going to be a FP3 that's even more chances!

Gonna be a hell of await but thankfully college, life and other games are taking up all my time anyway so it'll make the wait go quicker.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm always expecting shantae, and will be pushing for her forever. Have a shantae fanart guys!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Sakurai is a troll.

Moreso that Sakurai makes characters that anyone can enjoy. Not just "Smash fans" who think they know better, or other people online who get way too invested in their favourite games at the expense of others.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Moreso that Sakurai makes characters that anyone can enjoy. Not just "Smash fans" who think they know better, or other people online who get way too invested in their favourite games at the expense of others.
exactrly, i don't get why people are so made at sakurai. He made Byleth very unique, represents the weapon tringle from FE finally, and a very cool stage. He was told to make a character from three houses and he did. don't get made at him.

I would say vote with your wallet but sadly we aren't being told all the fighters before buying the passes. I know the smash speculation is part of the culture of this game but... if we need to wait 2 years for a pass... I think they need to maybe outline guidelines on what to expect maybe? Just so people don't freak out like this time

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
exactrly, i don't get why people are so made at sakurai. He made Byleth very unique, represents the weapon tringle from FE finally, and a very cool stage. He was told to make a character from three houses and he did. don't get made at him.

I would say vote with your wallet but sadly we aren't being told all the fighters before buying the passes. I know the smash speculation is part of the culture of this game but... if we need to wait 2 years for a pass... I think they need to maybe outline guidelines on what to expect maybe? Just so people don't freak out like this time
yeah i mean if you are gonna spend money on something you have to know what it is first...just buying something without knowing the contents is pretty stupid

that's just banking that any of the characters revealed will be someone you have a deep connection with....and if there isn't then you just wasted $25 on a pass with characters you will never use

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Saving the least hype character for last kind of makes sense from a business perspective. The earlier characters are going to have the most impact on how many Fighters Passes they sell, so might as well save the promotional character for the last slot, when the potential sales impact is at its lowest.

That said, I'm on board with GoldLiger GoldLiger 's theory, mainly because I really want it to be true lol.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I wish Nintendo would reveal the DLC lineup like NetherRealm does their Mortal Kombat/Injustice DLC. They've been doing that for 4 games now and you don't see them close to bankruptcy if that's the fear. Seriously, 2019 sorta sucked because everyone and their dog would "leak" and no matter where you went on the internet, it's always the same with someone saying "hey, I've heard this Smash rumor, totally legit source too, and--M00NFIRE what are you doing with that chair? AIIIIIEEEEEE"

Last edited:
Top Bottom