• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
4 months of waiting only leading towards disappointment. Welp, this sucks. It's great to hear about us getting at least 6 more characters though. Watch only one of the 6 be a fan favorite like Banjo & Kazooie were for Season Pass 1.

Dukefire

Smash Master
To add it all up:
FE Three Houses rep is here
Sakurai explained why he adds FE reps from different titles
Byleth moveset on the range game
Mii Costumes and Cuphead as the big star to attract with a song like Sans did.
Six open spots for Fighters Pass Round 2

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
Well, I want to say I'm disappointed but, I'm afraid of sounding ungrateful. Obviously, Sakurai works hard to make the game always ever better, but... Still. Fire Emblem? No, anyway I look at it, I don't like it. Sorry.

The characters that just got Mii'd are all interesting. I wish they would have actually been playable - especially Altair and Cuphead.

Lastly, I like Sakurai's statement that Smash has become a celebration of gaming. I have an even harder time understanding how he chooses who will be playable and who will be spirits, assist trophies or mii costumes in that case.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Welp, alright. 6 more characters sounds good. Wish Sakurai would relax for a bit, but I guess as long as he's motivated and determined to continue onward without stressing, he'll be alright.

And now we wait for a "leaker" to say who all 6 characters are while Sabi takes the middle-ground and Verge hides behind his almighty Shield of Sources.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Oofta, I just got up while he was demonstrating the Byleth character and, welp, hoes mad

We must still stay strong with our Shantae support. Though he's already decided the six DLC characters, so if she's not one of them, it'll likely be all over for us. However, I will stay until the fat lady sings.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think Bylth looks very cool, but man... I feel terrible for Rex fans(myself included). He said their game came out too early to make it into smash... but a Three houses rep gets in?! I feel that was heavily Nintendo pushing that decision.

On the brightside, 6 more fighters coming, Shantae is still not dead, I assume some spirits will be upgraded now. And have a fun fanart of shantae

There was a problem fetching the tweet

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well so far so good. Shantae has not been Mii'd. Maybe there is still hope and she will be one of the six new fighters in this second pass.

Maybe she will be the first one since we do not have a definite release for Seven Sirens yet.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Oofta, I just got up while he was demonstrating the Byleth character and, welp, hoes mad

We must still stay strong with our Shantae support. Though he's already decided the six DLC characters, so if she's not one of them, it'll likely be all over for us. However, I will stay until the fat lady sings.
I've already considered it over until a Spirit does ever show up playable. I'd take any Spirit to stoke my hopes back up again. Indies are getting all but playable roles so far.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
For now, this is what the community feels until the next Smash Ultimate DLC reveal.
Screenshot_20200116-084849_YouTube.jpg

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Okay, my tinfoil on Shantae.

Shantae is the only Spirit battle with a Smash original song despite originating outside of Smash.

Out of those soundtracks, it's Mob Smash.

On one side of the coin, it's used Mii Fighters. On the other side, it's used for Ultimate's All-Star mode.

P.S. Hey, six more DLC, we ain't out yet.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
As I stated in another thread, I have been a massive FE fan since the Game Cube era but I fail to understand/appreciate the over-representation FE is getting. Especially incuding this brand new generic and bland protagonist that is Byleth, of all the other cool characters from FE3H.
Why would they include a character that is bound to appear in only one game in their series instead of real characters with personality, backround and history ?
Still holding hope for our girl Shantae till the very last moment though :)

Last edited:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
Well so far so good. Shantae has not been Mii'd. Maybe there is still hope and she will be one of the six new fighters in this second pass.

Maybe she will be the first one since we do not have a definite release for Seven Sirens yet.
I Don't want to put up with another year of crazy tin-foil hat theories even if shantae is DLC....it's just too disappointing

Dukefire

Smash Master
For now, we got six chances to find out.
Screenshot_20200116-085356_YouTube.jpg

We may start once spring rolls in

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
It's inevitable, I'm afraid.
maybe if we found out about A DLC Character instead of it randomly being revealed one day and then months of angry ranting and wars until the next one

i feel like the way Smash DLC is handled is far more cryptic and weird than most DLC For Fighting games

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
I just realized that there could be even more Mii Slaughter Fests for those packs.
Pascal.gif

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Also, GOOD LORD did Rayman's chances skyrocket!
Not to rain on your parade, but I feel getting two Ubisoft Mii Costumes now actually hurts Rayman's chances. It would make the most sense to release those along side him releasing as a fighter, no?

zferolie

Smash Hero
the ONLY thing I worry about, with cuphead being an Mii costume with music, is that maybe all Indie characters may get that treatment... though so far the indie characters that got this got full face masks. Shantae would not fit that. I can see Hallow Knight getting this treatment though

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Ehh, I don't think that's going to be the case. Three Houses is pretty big after all and I don't think Cuphead has the same spotlight stealing potential as Sans.
Whatever the case, I just know right now as we speak, the Byleth Direct on Twitter is getting only around 600 likes while Cuphead is getting 12,000. Good lordy.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
the ONLY thing I worry about, with cuphead being an Mii costume with music, is that maybe all Indie characters may get that treatment... though so far the indie characters that got this got full face masks. Shantae would not fit that. I can see Hallow Knight getting this treatment though
I could see this going either for or against Shantae. One way is that yes, the Smash team has decided that Mii Costumes and a song is all the Indie characters get. Or that all the other big Indie reps are slowly getting less likely while our girl holds ground, making her even more likely should they decide an indie rep is the way to go.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Whatever the case, I just know right now as we speak, the Byleth Direct on Twitter is getting only around 600 likes while Cuphead is getting 12,000. Good lordy.
I think that is less a case of hypness and more salt and vindictiveness towrds another FE character.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So what if instead of Shantae getting a Mii costume in some other character's pack some small enemies like Tinkerbat and Scarecrow get Mii costumes? I would get really hyped from that sight because I would know than our gal is coming.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Oh yeah and didn't Reggie at the 2018 VGA's say something about all the characters coming from new worlds? I don't think Fire Emblem's a new world...

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
I seriously doubt they would do away with Shantae's purple hair, even for alt colors. There's that thing when it comes to character design, I forget what it's called, something to do with easily recognizable silhouettes.
Honestly, except for Pit/Dark Pit, I dont see why most characters cant change their hair if they have a unique enough silhouette for game clarity. Like Palutena would look great, and still like her, even without the green hair.

And Shantae would look great and recognizable due to her character shape. Plus, even on the Wayforward image, they changed her hair for the Rotty Tops Alt.

Speaking of Assist Trophies, which one would you want promoted the most? I want Krystal.
Shadow, Midna, and Krystal.

I Just....did we really need another fire emblem character on the roster? Smash 4's reveal of Corrin was roasted and as expected Byleth's reveal is the same way
And here is another example of what most of the community doesn't remember, Nintendo picked the DLC for this pass. So Sakurai needed to do it. But I can't type that to every comment about it I see.

I think we can at least all agree on that, no?
Did they say something that is proven false? It wasn't Geno/Dante/Capcom etc.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Y'know, I'm kinda expecting the last character of FP2 being an unpopular pick as well.
Seems to be the trend of this game.
Base Game's Last character was Incineroar.
FP1's Last character is Byleth,
Both unpopular picks, that made most people upset.

Kinda makes me wonder what the last pick for FP2 would be. :p

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hmm, I am seeing talk that this may have been a rushed forced pick, and the actual FP5 was moved to the next pass. Right after they Announced Byleth they showed off more FE three houses DLC, so people are thinking they added Byleth in after the huge success of that game.

How do you guys feel about that theory?

zferolie

Smash Hero
You know, I think the real victims here are Rex and Pyra. They were left out because their have came out too late in development, but Three Houses came out even later and got in with the DLC.
Lets be honest, its because three houses sold like millions of copies. Nintendo I feel pushed this DLC hard to capitalize on that.

I am happy for the fans, and not upset at all Byleth is in. She looks awesome to play and love her female design. But lets not pretend what this is.

Top Bottom