• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Shantae gets into Smash, then dances on the bodies of all her haters.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Oh god... I hope not. I was a Ridley supporter. That was hell.
Well, the circustances are different with fewer in the way of concrete obstacles to her being playable. But the parallels are there nonetheless with a character that incites unusually strong reactions whenever they're brought up and whose detractors mainly rely on one common argument without the whole story (too big vs. spirits deconfirm).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh god... I hope not. I was a Ridley supporter. That was hell.
Well, the circustances are different with fewer in the way of concrete obstacles to her being playable. But the parallels are there nonetheless with a character that incites unusually strong reactions whenever they're brought up and whose detractors mainly rely on one common argument without the whole story (too big vs. spirits deconfirm).
Bad publicity helps as much as the good one, trust me. It's not like her name isn't getting dragged into the mud no matter what happens. *points to Gamefaqs*

Anything that gets people to pay more attention to a character is good, as long as it doesn't involve harassing the Smash staff itself.

D

Deleted member

Shantae is slowly but surely becoming the new Ridley of Smash speculation.
As a Geno supporter, I heavily relate to you guys.

These two characters and their supporters get a lot of **** from detractors on sites like GameFaqs

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's almost as if fate is conspiring to raise Shantae's support since Smash 4. Not having anything in that game lead to good support in the ballot, albeit neck & neck with Shovel Knight. Then his hype slowly died down until his assist status was revealed, leaving Shantae alone as the top indie pick. Then Shantae was revealed nonchalantly as spirit similar to how Rayman was in Smash 4, as part of highlighting a big new mode. Discussion goes wild, then Matt drops a conveniently placed tweet rallying support once more. However, the talk fell into a lull until, it seems, Joker's reveal, which seems to have caused a spark in how no one can truly predict how this DLC will go. Everything is an enigma, and Shantae has been placed at the center of it all.

Nah, not Western enough.

View attachment 186554
Nah, Rayman's still kicking. K. Rool's future was uncertain due to not making any appearances in a long time, which is a more important comparison to Geno in my mind.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nah, Rayman's still kicking. K. Rool's future was uncertain due to not making any appearances in a long time, which is a more important comparison to Geno in my mind.
Geno fits that criteria too
While K. Rool is British in origin, he is now a Japanese character. But I wasn't referring about a western character, but somebody that's in quite a similar situation that K. Rool was in before.
That's a fair point, although Geno has far less appearances than the Rool.

And in terms of being at rock-bottom despite having been major once, B-K fits this handily. Whether they'll get out of that status like Rool did is what remains to be seen.

D

Deleted member

And in terms of being at rock-bottom despite having been major once, B-K fits this handily. Whether they'll get out of that status like Rool did is what remains to be seen.
We're not talking about how many games the character has appeared in. We're talking about why a character and his supporters got a lot of hate. In this case, K Rool and his supporters got a lot of hate because he was considered irrelevant by detractors, despite his fans keeping him alive. Same thing is happening with Geno.

And Shantae is getting a lot of hate now, and the "arguments" against her are "sHe WilL nEVeR haPpEn" or "ShE iS a SpiRIt sO sHe iS dEcOnFiRmeD." Both are the same kind of things like Ridley was "tOo biG" and they were considered impossible until Ridley was revealed, and it seems the Shantae detractors are following in the steps of the Ridley detractors. And we know where the Ridley detractors are now. Just a matter of time 'till the same thing happens with Shantae's detractors

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We're not talking about how many games the character has appeared in. We're talking about why a character and his supporters got a lot of hate. In this case, K Rool and his supporters got a lot of hate because he was considered irrelevant by detractors, despite his fans keeping him alive. Same thing is happening with Geno.

And Shantae is getting a lot of hate now, and the "arguments" against her are "sHe WilL nEVeR haPpEn" or "ShE iS a SpiRIt sO sHe iS dEcOnFiRmeD." Both are the same kind of things like Ridley was "tOo biG" and they were considered impossible until Ridley was revealed, and it seems the Shantae detractors are following in the steps of the Ridley detractors. And we know where the Ridley detractors are now. Just a matter of time 'till the same thing happens with Shantae's detractors
It's technically easier for haters to do that with Geno, seeing as he's only got one major role. So they probably feel "justified" in hating on him, given that.

Also, Shantae even has purple in her character design. The only thing that even gets in Shantae's way is proper moveset incorporation, and even then that'll be no problem for mashpotato samurai, no matter what anyone thinks. :p

In the end though, whether or not characters can succeed others in terms of being rejected by detractors for similar reasons doesn't matter, what matters is that support moves on to characters that didn't get as much before the previous ones got a chance. In essence, the king is dead, long live the king!

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Lets hope that when The Pirate's Curse Collector's Edition for the Switch sold out on December 7th, Nintendo noticed given it sold out in like under 3 minutes with 1000+ copies.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
It's really sad to see in this day and age, that the second you like a character is the second someone hates every fiber of your being. Like I understand if you don't like a character, or maybe you dislike their games and yadda yadda. That's fine. I respect that. But clumping every single person who likes these things into one group is too much. It's also hard to convince someone that doesn't want to listen. They're just not worth the effort.

In the end, the only thing that really feels like it matters are the supporters that keep these dreams alive.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
It's really sad to see in this day and age, that the second you like a character is the second someone hates every fiber of your being. Like I understand if you don't like a character, or maybe you dislike their games and yadda yadda. That's fine. I respect that. But clumping every single person who likes these things into one group is too much. It's also hard to convince someone that doesn't want to listen. They're just not worth the effort.

In the end, the only thing that really feels like it matters are the supporters that keep these dreams alive.
I find it funny.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Some people...they just exist to be contrarian to popular opinion. I've seen this for series that are otherwise universally liked. There always at least gotta be one asshole that hates something for no reason.

Last edited:

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Some people...they just exist to be contrarian to popular opinion. I've seen this for series that are otherwise universally liked. There always at least gotta be one ******* that hates something for no reason.
Yeah it's weird, I've known people like this. Though I parted ways with them, and for good reason. People do hate things that are popular for seemingly no reason at all, but in a sense I understand it in a way. I've had things that I didn't care for show up a lot in my face, and I guess I started to not like it a lot more or even hate it. But I get over it, usually.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

For third parties at least, it feels like there is kind of an implicit requirement that the character/franchise is currently doing or is planned to do something in the near future. It'd be tough for Microsoft/Rare to get away with including Banjo-Kazooie and not expect the fans to start hoping for a new game afterwards.

It's technically easier for haters to do that with Geno, seeing as he's only got one major role. So they probably feel "justified" in hating on him, given that.

Also, Shantae even has purple in her character design. The only thing that even gets in Shantae's way is proper moveset incorporation, and even then that'll be no problem for mashpotato samurai, no matter what anyone thinks. :p

In the end though, whether or not characters can succeed others in terms of being rejected by detractors for similar reasons doesn't matter, what matters is that support moves on to characters that didn't get as much before the previous ones got a chance. In essence, the king is dead, long live the king!
Now I kind of wish that comic of Ridley consoling Waluigi had him bring up "some purple-haired, pony-tailed dancer spirit" (especially disliking the second aspect of her) as some of the new memes that rose in his absence.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
For third parties at least, it feels like there is kind of an implicit requirement that the character/franchise is currently doing or is planned to do something in the near future. It'd be tough for Microsoft/Rare to get away with including Banjo-Kazooie and not expect the fans to start hoping for a new game afterwards.

Now I kind of wish that comic of Ridley consoling Waluigi had him bring up "some purple-haired, pony-tailed dancer spirit" (especially disliking the second aspect of her) as some of the new memes that rose in his absence.
Hmm, that is a fair point. On the other hand, I guess a deal could be struck with MS so Nintendo can be allowed to include Rare stuff in a prospective N64 Mini, so there is that. Although Smash does help to revive IPs in the first place, so it's a given.

Too bad Wooden Plank Studios didn't think of that, heh.

D

Deleted member

I have that problem and I’m trying to fix that

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
Shantae would have such a fun moveset, the amount of potential she has is crazy. Her ponytail whip, transformations, her plethora of weapons. I'd also like to see Nega Shantae as a skin.

But as the same with Rex, it worries me what Reggie said when it comes to "Unexpected characters". Shantae would be unexpected, but she doesn't have the popularity like Joker. I'll keep the faith of course, I've been cheering for her since day one. At least she made it as a Spirit, which is great for her franchise.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If the recent argument on the Geno thread is any indication, Rayman is actually the new Ridley. Oy vey. :facepalm:

I don't really see how he would seem that impossible to balance when they successfully managed to make Sukapon work as an AT. Difficult, yes, but doable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If the recent argument on the Geno thread is any indication, Rayman is actually the new Ridley. Oy vey. :facepalm:

I don't really see how he would seem that impossible to balance when they successfully managed to make Sukapon work as an AT. Difficult, yes, but doable.
Eh, not really. Ridley fans got a lot of hate. Are Rayman fans getting that kind of hate?

I think Rayman is doable too

Last edited by a moderator:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Shantae would have such a fun moveset, the amount of potential she has is crazy. Her ponytail whip, transformations, her plethora of weapons. I'd also like to see Nega Shantae as a skin.

But as the same with Rex, it worries me what Reggie said when it comes to "Unexpected characters". Shantae would be unexpected, but she doesn't have the popularity like Joker. I'll keep the faith of course, I've been cheering for her since day one. At least she made it as a Spirit, which is great for her franchise.
Don't forget Risky Boots! Having the main antagonist alongside the protagonist says a lot about how Risky is just as important to the franchise as Shantae is and how the devs felt the need to include her as well, especially considering the subtle emphasis on villains fighting their rivals we've got here.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Eh, not really. Ridley fans got a lot of hate. Are Rayman fans getting that kind of hate?

I think Rayman is doable too
Nah, I mean in the sense of comparing him to Ridley as being THAT difficult to program in the first place. Only reason Rayman wouldn't be in is not for that, but saving him for another time or lack of time for much TP newcomers.

Last edited:

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
Don't forget Risky Boots! Having the main antagonist alongside the protagonist says a lot about how Risky is just as important to the franchise as Shantae is and how the devs felt the need to include her as well, especially considering the subtle emphasis on villains fighting their rivals we've got here.
Would Risky play similarly to Rosalina using Tinkerbats as weapons and shields? That would be fun.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Nah, I mean in the sense of comparing him to Ridley as being THAT difficult to program in the first place. Only reason Rayman wouldn't be in is not for that, but saving him for another time.
I doubt he’d be that hard to program considering we have an assist of this guy:

Would Risky play similarly to Rosalina using Tinkerbats as weapons and shields? That would be fun.
I’d say she’d play similar to her HGH incarnation, playable and boss fight

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nah, I mean in the sense of comparing him to Ridley as being THAT difficult to program in the first place. Only reason Rayman wouldn't be in is not for that, but saving him for another time or lack of time for much TP newcomers.
Oh, okay.

About Shantae, I want to hear what everyone's favorite Shantae game is. I haven't played a Shantae game, but I think Shantae would be a cool addition to the roster.

So, what is everyone's favorite Shantae game?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Nah, they'd probably just be relegated to a single special if anything (like how they work when you play as Risky in Half-Genie Hero). She has more than enough tricks and weapons up her nonexistent sleeves to fill a moveset without relying on them.

Toss up between Pirate’s Curse and Half-Genie Hero.
Same here.

Pirate's Curse has the best story and character development by far, and the smoothest gameplay. Half-Genie Hero with it's DLC campaigns is more replayable and varied, though.

Last edited:

Biometal

Smash Journeyman

In case anyone here hasn't seen it yet. Also, she got 211 votes in one of her matches with Banana Dean. Where'd that 75ish or so gap come from? She hasn't been getting those many votes since.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Oh, okay.

About Shantae, I want to hear what everyone's favorite Shantae game is. I haven't played a Shantae game, but I think Shantae would be a cool addition to the roster.

Yeah, mine is without a doubt Pirate's Curse. I'm a pretty big Super Metroid guy, so it's kinda a no brainer. I liked Half Hero Genie as well, but the DLC got a bit repetitive for me. I feel like I want a more connected world to explore and that's why I don't like how they did the level select. Though I guess Pirate's Curse kinda did a level select with the ship. But they're both great platformers regardless.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Oh, okay.

I like them all. But if you want a suggestion on where to start...Pirate's Curse drops you into the story with only a brief blurb about a major spoiler from the previous game. Half Genie Hero is very beginner-friendly as far as the story element goes. Risky's Revenge is good, albeit short. The original Shantae...it's a rough one, but it still has a lot going for it.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Oh, okay.

Pirates curse, I wasn't a big fannof half genie hero's episodic storytelling and I loved how Pirates curse was an overarching storyline that carried over from riskies revenge

LinkaFlame

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-5325-3982-2605
Oh, okay.

All in all, my favorite entry was Shantae GBC. Its impressive visuals and animation for a Game Boy Color game, its great soundtrack, its establishment of the franchise; it’s simply a fantastic game. Although it does have its glaring issues like the screen crunch and vulnerability when dancing I still enjoy it just fine.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
All in all, my favorite entry was Shantae GBC. Its impressive visuals and animation for a Game Boy Color game, its great soundtrack, its establishment of the franchise; it’s simply a fantastic game. Although it does have its glaring issues like the screen crunch and vulnerability when dancing I still enjoy it just fine.
I think the screen crunch was par for the course for that era, seeing as Ghost N Goblins on the GBC had that too.

Oh, okay.

PC, of course. Not just because of THAT scene, mind you...

Last edited:
Top Bottom