• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why people are expecting a Smash Reveal at an indie direct, of all things. That'd be a total slap in the face to the indie devs whose games they're showcasing. It's not free publicity, it's a hype killer for an indie title. Just think of E3...how many of those indie games in the sizzle reel got a ton of discussion? The answer is none, for the simple reason that Smash was shown.

Temper your expectations, folks.
I believe there was an Indie sizzle reel right before the Smash reveal at E3. Nintendo seemed to not think it was a hype killer then, I don't see why they would now. Plus then it was a 25 minute presentation with all the trimmings. This would merely be a single character reveal after the indie presentation.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I still don't get why Shantae hasn't appeared in other indie fighting games while SK has. If Shantae is only an assist, then surely Nintendo would allow her to be in the other games with SK? Why wouldn't WayForward want to put her in those games to give her more exposure?

There is alot of suspicious things going on here that's hyping up the speculation. I'm still betting that she won't show up in the Direct, but you can't deny how out of character WayForward's been since Ultimate was announced.

Last edited:

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
Matt is generally more selective of what games Shantae crosses over in. Shovel Knight gets thrown in pretty much everything. It could be a number of other reasons, though. Perhaps developers of indie fighters don't consider Shantae an indie character or perhaps if Shantae is in smash there are legal reasons that prevent her from showing up in other fighting games. Whatever the case, it's all speculation and none of it can be taken as proof of her presence or lack of it in smash.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
All we have right now is circumstantial evidence and suspicious behavior from WayForward. There is no real evidence, but it does make you think about it.

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
Yeah I don't buy any of these recent Shantae leaks. I feel like they're just some trolls who've noticed people talking a lot about Shantae recently, so they decided to make "leaks".
Yeah lol pretty much how every fake leak works.

Geno is actually very likely now, but he has ALWAYS been in fake leaks in Smash games

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Matt is generally more selective of what games Shantae crosses over in. Shovel Knight gets thrown in pretty much everything. It could be a number of other reasons, though. Perhaps developers of indie fighters don't consider Shantae an indie character or perhaps if Shantae is in smash there are legal reasons that prevent her from showing up in other fighting games. Whatever the case, it's all speculation and none of it can be taken as proof of her presence or lack of it in smash.
It's just odd that WF has allowed shantae in alot of games but not Fighting ones...

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Yeah I don't buy any of these recent Shantae leaks. I feel like they're just some trolls who've noticed people talking a lot about Shantae recently, so they decided to make "leaks".
Yup. It's my rule to disbelieve any leak, especially anonymous 4Chan leaks which anyone can post. They're most likely trolls.

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Argh! I'm trying soooo hard to temper my expectations, they started today at zero if not lower somehow, but all of these weird little coincidences, and Matt and WayForward's odd behavior that could just be random weird behavior (which would totally be in character,) more coincidences, or just straight out trolling are adding up to make it very difficult.

I'm finding it harder and harder to fight the hype, and finding it harder and harder to even want to fight it, even though logically I know that that's just all but guaranteeing disappointment.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Here's a question for those who think expectations(or hype) needs to be tempered:

Why can't you just have hype and then still if nothing happens go 'ah well, not this time, but it was fun to think about it possibly happening'?

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I don't know why people are expecting a Smash Reveal at an indie direct, of all things. That'd be a total slap in the face to the indie devs whose games they're showcasing. It's not free publicity, it's a hype killer for an indie title. Just think of E3...how many of those indie games in the sizzle reel got a ton of discussion? The answer is none, for the simple reason that Smash was shown.

Temper your expectations, folks.
As far as I can tell, most people aren't actually expecting a Smash reveal, just hoping. And really, again with this notion that it would be bad for the indie games being showcased? That's ridiculous. How many people do you think are going to watch it just for the indie games? How many more people do you think would watch it if they expected a Smash reveal or if one happened? How many of the former would suddenly lose all interest in the games they came to see because there was a 2 minute Smash trailer at the end?

The biggest hurdle for indie devs is recognition. There's no outcome here where a Smash reveal would have a negative impact on the indie games being showcased, but there certainly are outcomes where it is positive for them. People who actually want the indie games will still be there. People who care about Smash will be drawn closer.

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Here's a question for those who think expectations(or hype) needs to be tempered:

Why can't you just have hype and then still if nothing happens go 'ah well, not this time, but it was fun to think about it happening'?
I can't speak for anyone else, but it's because I don't want the hype into nothingness to overshadow the rest of the direct.
I quite enjoy the Nindie stuff, and don't want my own silly emotional roller coaster to detract from the rest of the direct for myself.

That being said, I do think that's great advice.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
I can't speak for anyone else, but it's because I don't want the hype into nothingness to overshadow the rest of the direct.
I quite enjoy the Nindie stuff, and don't want my own silly emotional roller coaster to detract from the rest of the direct for myself.

That being said, I do think that's great advice.
I guess it just depends on the person then. Because I'm going in hyped to the extreme. LIke, I fully expect her to be revealed, but I plan on enjoying the ride and seeing new indie games too. And if it's all for nothing it's not going to ruin me or anything. I'll be like aww that sucks and then hop back on here for more Shantae memes and fun.

Last edited:

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
I don't wanna alert anybody, but we're dangerously close to surpassing the Bandanna Dee thread. Keep it up guys! :D

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hmmmm, I also recall footage of Knuckles, along with Sonic taunting as well. Though that could just be a coincidence as well.
Yeah, it's quite possible the AT's can taunt, or might sometimes taunt if the character is from the same franchise and taunting, or simply will taunt with you if the right situation happens.

It'd be interesting, but this feels more like an idea that uses an odd situation and makes up stuff around it. I'll give it this, if it's fake, it's a damn cool idea.

Did the Roy and Lyn one happen during gameplay or in his showcase trailer too? Because if it's just the showcase trailer, these are clearly set up to work and look good, and thus, no real evidence it might be a mechanic instead of doctored in to look awesome.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm not quite full-on like Veodok Veodok for the hype, but I think that's a good direction, since looking forward feels good, rather than being all low-key about it. And you can always lick your wounds if you somehow get hurt by how you invested yourself... and learn from it and get better at that and .. enjoying,, lol. :)

Keep on keepin' as much you feel like, I'ma get in bed and check back in when I wake up. Ret 2 sleep, lol.
Ride the waves, hf.

:starman::happysheep:

Last edited:

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
The smash blog updated, Rathalos confirmed for today's update. Just a small nick to my hopes.

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
The smash blog updated, Rathalos confirmed for today's update. Just a small nick to my hopes.
Yeah that's a pretty big deal, but at the same time with only one direct since the blog started, there really isn't much of a "standard" to go by for the blog and new reveals either.

Staarih

Smash Master
Woah this thread has exploded! My life took a turn to the busier side so I haven’t been able to take part actively, but I’ve tried to follow the discussion. Will try and catch the Nindie Showcase later though - however, with no retweets (yet?) from anyone Shantae or Smash related I’m leaning towards her not appearing in it... but if we get Shovel Knight King of Cards and/or Travis Strikes Again news (or any other cool indie stuff that catches my eye) it’s all good.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but to all the questions about why there HAS to be a Nindies Direct right after Europe just got one:

Because PAX West is this week. It's extremely likely that they'll have booths, maybe even a Nindies at Night event again, and as a result they want to hype those games up and then let people know that they'll be present and where people can play those games.

Which also explains why EU had their mini, super unexpected one last week: Because it was Gamescom and they probably felt a similar need to inform people of what was going on with the Switch.

Does this mean I expect nothing big? Not particularly. Like many here I'm doubtful but at the same time silently hyping myself up just in case. I mean, three years ago or so we DID get the shovel knight amiibo reveal. So it's not unlikely that Nintendo would reveal something big about indies that they can then further promote in the convention.
Ultimately I just don't think NoA doing a direct right now means much in terms of Smash or speculation.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but to all the questions about why there HAS to be a Nindies Direct right after Europe just got one....
But the odd thing is why wasn't it a direct? Why just a random video with no announcement or fanfare while this one was announced almost a week in advance?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But the odd thing is why wasn't it a direct? Why just a random video with no announcement or fanfare while this one was announced almost a week in advance?
Nintendo is weird sometimes. They have literally announced a direct within the same day(less than 24 hours). It's hard to say why. I wouldn't put any stock in it.

As for anything, I wouldn't expect anything beyond an amiibo, which would be neat.

Staarih

Smash Master
I think it might just be a thing of NoE and NoA handling things differently.

But yeah, the EU one promoting Gamescom and this one promoting PAX makes sense.

Last edited:

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Gah! I hate timezones. Went to sleep and woke up to six pages to read through. Glad this thread is so active though! I guess the hype is real here.

You guys got me hoping for a mini Shantae reveal like they did with the inklings and just go into details the next Smash Direct. Nindies Direct just seems like the right place to reveal her in order to say that Nintendo really is putting more love out there for indies. I still hope she'd get an amazing CG trailer though.
But I wouldn't hold it against them to not reveal her at the Nindie Direct, since there would be more wiggle room to hype her reveal up in a Smash Direct. Plus they can dive into the details and history right away.

And I hope she's the next character to be revealed rather than the next. I don't want her to be the #69 joke... or wait much longer than that to have her confirmed or deconfirmed.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Gah! I hate timezones. Went to sleep and woke up to six pages to read through. Glad this thread is so active though! I guess the hype is real here.

You guys got me hoping for a mini Shantae reveal like they did with the inklings and just go into details the next Smash Direct. Nindies Direct just seems like the right place to reveal her in order to say that Nintendo really is putting more love out there for indies. I still hope she'd get an amazing CG trailer though.
But I wouldn't hold it against them to not reveal her at the Nindie Direct, since there would be more wiggle room to hype her reveal up in a Smash Direct. Plus they can dive into the details and history right away.

And I hope she's the next character to be revealed rather than the next. I don't want her to be the #69 joke... or wait much longer than that to have her confirmed or deconfirmed.
It's really funny, because everybody seriously doesn't think it's going to happen, yet the circumstance is just so perfect. It just oozes Sakurai being a tricky boi as he usually is, throwing this massive curveball that catches even Shantae fans off-guard. The more people doubt, the more I believe.

Last edited:

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Gah! So many pages to read through. I'm glad this thread has been zooming along though :)

Whatever happens at this direct, I'll at least be interested in the indies shown. There could be something really cool! Also there could be Shantae. Either way, there could be cool stuff.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
We need a discord or something so we can all watch and chat live while we watch. That would be pretty cool.

Also, we need this thread to hit 68 pages before the direct launches. Y'know, for cosmic irony.

Last edited:

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
It's worth noting that the Nindie last week came out right before Gamescon so this Nindie may just be doing the same thing for PAX. Keep your hopes reasonable. Regardless, you can expect more gameplay footage/showcases for a playable demo at PAX.

Top Bottom