• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Uhh this just caught my eye when swimming in the sea of fake leaks

"the interview was published on the 6th of March and the project plan was started in late December. The interview itself was also featured in a magazine which needed to be printed and distributed so you can tack on even more time between interview
We also have no idea when the roster was decided, this isn't Smash 4. Sakurai said outright a ton of effort was put into getting the veterans back to the point where it almost didn't happen, therefore I would imagine newcomer selection timeframe be different.
Of course this is all speculation but the interview is a weak point at best and still doesn't explain the 2 and a half years worth of silence from Matt Bozon. Even YC wasn't under NDA till late 2016, implying SK's AT addition was added rather late."

Is this the part where we freak out?
Honestly I can't tell if that's a good thing or bad thing. Anybody mind giving me a clear view on this? It's not claiming Shantae will only be an assist trophy now is it?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Hey guys, I’ve been busy all day and now I’m done with everything.

I saw some trouble with YouTube getting off work, but it seems like things have been straightened out?

Why, because I had to. Well more so I wanted to but still.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Oh sheesh, I've been gone for quite some time: my apologies guys. I had a midterm a few days ago that kinda got me stressed out, but it's over now and I have more free time at this point.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
While I was out I saw the hugest shooting star I've ever seen. It flashed so big and I clearly saw it right in my line of sight. Really cool and far-out stuff :D

One of my wishes was for Shantae XD

(It might've also been a meteorite coming down, who knows :O)

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
While I was out I saw the hugest shooting star I've ever seen. It flashed so big and I clearly saw it right in my line of sight. Really far-out :D

One of my wishes was for Shantae XD

(It might've also been a meteorite coming down, dunno :O)
Oh ****. I proposed that maybe Youtube went down because of a solar flare, even,

Maybe it was another cosmic entity that caused it...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Alpharad would expand dong
Just when I thought you couldnt be any weirder and off, you go and do something like this.... and totally redeem yourself!

(but like.. today's an interesting day for you..;p)

Step 1: Avoid questioning other's support or making base assumptions to stop the cycle of hatred. We aren't any better than them when we do this.
Yeh, good to promote this. Just let everyone support who they like. Stop being like 'How could they support him or her, or steve!' Like, I know the idea of 'slots' being taken sucks, but whoever gets in gets in, and their fans will be glad, just like we'll be glad if shantae gets in . We dont like when people say the same about Shantae, so show some courtesy and vent out your frustrations another way. :)

Also, even in the event Steve would get in (which I doubt he will), it doesn't mean anything for shantae, so please stop freakin' out prematurely, or just at all :/ :p

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
For tonight (on my side) listen to this tune to relax your mind for sometime. Of course, its not related to shantae, but do enjoy the melody of the eight music boxes together from a long ago game that started the mother series.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Geez...gone for a few hours playing Dungeons & Dragons and the thread blows up...and apparently YouTube did too?

BTW Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy love the new avatar!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
On a little more serious note, I have a problem with people saying that Shantae is hated. It focuses on the salty bandwagons instead of the love for our genie, which she has a ton of. There's at least a huge bunch of the WF followers who I'm sure love her, and not everyone follows companies on twitter. (so there's lots more too)

I know it's bothersome that there's been some hate around in certain sites, but try not to focus on that and make it your perception, when the truth is much better. Many love Shantae, she's great, her games are fun, and the art style is delightful (and more ;)) Not to mention music, and on and on.

There is one person in particular in this thread who's getting closer to being my first ever user to.. get on my ignored list. I wont say who, but I'm sure you can figure it out (no it's not connorbot). Im not saying that to be negative, just realistic about what I dont find pleasing to see when I'm reading in a Support Thread.

On the definite positive, I wanna say Thanks for everyone who's part of this thread, and also those outside, who like shantae and want to see more of her, including in smash. :)

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone else think that the reason Way Forward is not answering questions on if Shantae is in the game is that they are using us as free advertisement as this Youtube commenter is claiming? Would Wayforward do something this shady?

"Because they have nothing to gain by answering that question with a "no." Again, keeping Shantae in the discussion about Smash is in their best interest because mindshare is extremely important in the entertainment industry. It can make the difference between an empty seat in a theater and a seat with an angry viewer who already spent money on the ticket. The only thing worse than bad press is no press at all. This very video is literal proof that Wayforward benefits from not answering the question. 16,400+ views means 16,400+ individual moments where a potential customer might have been compelled to maybe look at a trailer of the game out of curiosity.

You may think that's insignificant, but in the world of marketing, that cannot be overlooked. And this is just one video. Companies pay millions of dollars to run commercials that don't even explicitly advertise a product, but instead merely function to create an association between their brand and a positive emotion—to keep their brand in the back of the viewers' minds in the off chance that they might choose to give that business their patronage. If Wayforward already dispelled the rumors by making a public statement, then videos like this simply would not be created, and the conversation would move to other, more relevant characters for whom the question has not been answered. So yes, the simple act of answering the question is actually an act of foregoing all of that organic marketing—a.k.a. "going out of their way." If you think that this is a "stretch" then I recommend that you avoid a career in marketing. =P

Sure, a handful of companies might just go ahead and make a public statement that their character is not in smash. I would hazard a guess that in those instances, the characters in question probably didn't command a significant presence in the discussion in the first place, and therefore didn't have much to lose. Unlike Shantae, who consistently places high in fan ballots. Maybe I'm wrong, so feel free to bring up a specific instance that goes against this particular line of thought.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Does anyone else think that Wayforward think that the reason wayforward is not answering whether or not Shantae is in the game is that the are using us as free advertisement as this Youtube commenter is claiming? Would Wayforward do something this shady?
I dont feel that WF is dumb like that though. It's a short-term strategy that would blowback awefully. The company would lose credibility with the same dedicated fans who've been following this.

And I think it's mostly non-fans who dont know WF and their reputation (including how they are with fans) that come up with these thoughts.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Does anyone else think that the reason Way Forward is not answering questions on if Shantae is in the game is that they are using us as free advertisement as this Youtube commenter is claiming? Would Wayforward do something this shady?
I feel even a non-answer would still garner attention from certain people. The problem is, They've responded to questions from nearly every other indie Cross over but have specifically avoided Smash.

MagusOfIllusions

Smash Cadet
Honestly this can be applied to any character really. Anyway once again like many it's clear that this user is not a Shantae supporter of any kind and are just trying to find a way to bring us down. If they actually followed WayForward then they would know that due to their fan loyalty they would never shoot their own foot and take advantage of their fans like that besides they mostly are a bunch of game loving nerds like us not corperate suits and tie's.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I dont feel that WF is dumb like that though. It's a short-term strategy that would blowback awefully. The company would lose credibility with the same dedicated fans who've been following this.

And I think it's mostly non-fans who dont know WF and their reputation (including how they are with fans) that come up with these thoughts.
Yeah, it's not necessarily about these things. Plus, in the way she stands, she's in an unusually unique position when it comes to corporate form. Because it's very likely these guys don't expect companies to come out and answer questions on a more normal basis. In contrast to a company like Sega or other video game megacorps, where there's some attempt to bond, yet it's still relatively hard to get answers from them, regardless of affiliation (unless you were a stockholder with a pretty meaty share).

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Is that like another Okkusenman or Air Man ga Taosenai type of Mega Man song?
Sort of? Hyadain2525's Mega Man stuff never got the popularity of Okkusenman or Airman ga Taosenai.

His oother stuff got more memetic attention and he also made the Nichijou OP.

Also prepare for a feels trip.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, it's not necessarily about these things. Plus, in the way she stands, she's in an unusually unique position when it comes to corporate form. Because it's very likely these guys don't expect companies to come out and answer questions on a more normal basis. In contrast to a company like Sega or other video game megacorps, where there's some attempt to bond, yet it's still relatively hard to get answers from them, regardless of affiliation (unless you were a stockholder with a pretty meaty share).
I had to double-take how I read your post cuz of your new avatar :p
Yeh WF isn't like a big corps for sure. Though they're bigger than before, so they're a nice ground where they're big enough but still grounded enough with fans, andmore :)

Time to sleep. nighty night.:tired:

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Sort of? Hyadain2525's Mega Man stuff never got the popularity of Okkusenman or Airman ga Taosenai.

His oother stuff got more memetic attention and he also made the Nichijou OP.

Also prepare for a feels trip.
That name sounds familiar, I’ll have to look them up again.

Also don’t do that to me, I just lost my girl a couple of weeks ago. I’ve recovered since then, but I’m still a little choked up about it.

Top Bottom