• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I more or less had the same idea. Take the arcade game and condense the levels into a side scrolling stage like Mushroomy Kingdom.

I'm going with a side scroller specifically with the idea that the perspective is changed so that the cars and other moving obstacles are moving towards or away from the camera; moving from the background onto the stage's actual plane. That way we could actually simulate crossing traffic lanes and stuff like that. So I guess the best comparison would like Mushroomy Kingdom, but if the racers from Port Town Aero Dive were constantly driving through, but of course not quite as fast as that'd just be obnoxious and unplayable at that point.
Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with this.

'Tis perfection. :)

D

Deleted member

Since we are talking about stages which of the remaining 5 new stages are likely to appear?
(Must include where it comes from)

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Since we are talking about stages which of the remaining 5 new stages are likely to appear?
Okay. That question doesn't make much sense, but I'll try to answer anyways:

1. Scuttle Town (Shantae)
2. The Plains (Minecraft)
3. A Xenoblade Chronicles stage, maybe based on X?
4. The Forest Maze (Super Mario RPG)
5. Lighthouse (Golden Sun)

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with this.

'Tis perfection. :)
Why thank you! It was a bit of a spur of the moment idea I got when I was reading over the last couple posts so I wasn't sure I explained it very well, but I'm glad you liked it.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I'm just worried about a friend ending up like me. :(
I'm sorry.
You don't need to worry about us. We (I can speak for all of us here, right?) are more worried about you.

Predictions:
1: Poke Floats 2 (Pokemon Series)
2: Overworld (Minecraft)
3: Forest Maze (Super Mario RPG)
4: Alola Pokemon League (Pokemon Sun and Moon)
5: Monster Hunter Stage (I don't know enough about the series to come up with a name) (I'm a bit iffy on this one, but I picked it because it doesn't make sense for there to be a Monster Hunter boss without a real stage)

Wants:
1: Scuttle Town (Shantae)
2: Access Ark (Kirby: Planet Robobot)
3: Ultra Wormhole (Pokemon Sun and Moon)
4: Bowser's Castle (Mario Series)
5: Subspace (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
1. Scuttle Town (with Neo Burning Town [or Neo Bowser City? *insert tin foil here*] from Half-Genie Hero)
2. PokeFloats 2 (with a remix of the PokeFloats music [which, in itself, is a Gen 1 Medley] from Melee or the Gen 1 Pokemon games)
3. The Overworld from Minecraft (with a likely medley composed from the Ambient tracks for the Overworld from Minecraft)
4. A Crafty World that culminates everything from the Yarn/Clay/Arts n' Crafts Nintendo games (likely with a medley of Kirby and Yoshi tracks)
5. And some random stage I don't really have the time to think of.

D

Deleted member

Mine are

1.scuttle town (shantae)
2.lighthouse(golden sun)
3.new world(Minecraft)
4.forest maze (super mario rpg)
5.pokefloats (Pokémon) better than another league stage am I right?

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
1. Scuttle Town (with Neo Burning Town [or Neo Bowser City? *insert tin foil here*] from Half-Genie Hero)
2. PokeFloats 2 (with a remix of the PokeFloats music [which, in itself, is a Gen 1 Medley] from Melee or the Gen 1 Pokemon games)
3. The Overworld from Minecraft (with a likely medley composed from the Ambient tracks for the Overworld from Minecraft)
4. A Crafty World that culminates everything from the Yarn/Clay/Arts n' Crafts Nintendo games (likely with a medley of Kirby and Yoshi tracks)
5. And some random stage I don't really have the time to think of.
#4 reminds me. I remember someone (don't remember who) saying that they might re-texture Wooly World for the new game and show it off as a new stage. I kinda don't want that to happen, because it would feel pretty unnecessary, especially when the stage is already mostly complete from the Wii U version.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Why thank you! It was a bit of a spur of the moment idea I got when I was reading over the last couple
posts so I wasn't sure I explained it very well, but I'm glad you liked it.
That makes it even more impressive. ;)

You don't need to worry about us. We (I can speak for all of us here, right?) are more worried about you.
Sorry.
I always thought that this thread only started becoming pessimistic and hectic when I joined though.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Assuming Shantae will be taking one of those spots with her stage (I’m hoping for a travelling Burning Town stage similar to 3D Land)
-Homecoming Hijinks from Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
-A Pokémon Sun & Moon stage
-Yoshi’s Crafted World stage

And one of the following stages tied to a potential newcomer:
-Venus Lighthouse (Golden Sun)
-New Los Angeles (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
-Gormotti Providence (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
-Forest Maze (Super Mario RPG)
-Spiral Mountain (Banjo-Kazooie)

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
1. Venus Lighthouse from Golden Sun
2. Scuttle Town from Shantae
3. Rhythm Heaven
4. Spiral Mountain from Banjo-Kazooie
5. Alolan Poke Floats

D

Deleted member

You know since I’m seeing Minecraft stage what music tracks would you like to see? (Can be from both c418 and Gareth Coker)

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
It's a bit off topic for the current discussion, but still related to Shantae; I've been thinking about the whole NCC thing. Do you guys think that perhaps there's no NCC, but instead it's more a matter of personal pride? In a good way though.

What I mean to say is, that if Shantae is in Smash, maybe it isn't necessarily that WF can't put her in other cross overs like Blade Strangers and Indie Pogo, but rather they won't do those yet because they want her to make her fighting game debut in Smash first.

Getting into Smash is a huge deal, and for them it's probably a huge honor and pretty important if that turns out to be the case. If so I could see them holding off deals with other fighting games not because they can't or don't want to, but because they don't want to just yet. Shantae getting into Smash will be a really special moment for them so maybe they don't want to start handing her off to other fighting game projects with Smash right around the corner.

I know the idea seems kind of weird, but at the same time, after mulling it over I also think it'd be weird for Nintendo to make WF agree to an NCC. As much as all of us here like Shantae, I'm unsure if Nintendo would feel the need to secure exclusivity for her as a guest character in fighting games specifically. She's a big deal to us but in the larger picture, she's a niche indie so it feels a little odd to single her out with an NCC like that. But IDK, companies can be weird like that sometimes so I'm probably just overthinking things.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Aren't stages worlds that represent a fighter in the game? To want a Minecraft stage means you want a Minecraft character in the roster.

I hope we're just getting a Creeper assist trophy and that's that.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Aren't stages worlds that represent a fighter in the game? To want a Minecraft stage means you want a Minecraft character in the roster.
Not necessarily. We've had a few stages from series without characters on the roster before. Stuff like Smashville in Brawl, Hanenbow, Pictochat, etc. I suppose you could argue that something like Pictochat doesn't even have a character they could use to pair with it, but it still means not every stage needs to be tied to a series with a character on the roster.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
It's a bit off topic for the current discussion, but still related to Shantae; I've been thinking about the whole NCC thing. Do you guys think that perhaps there's no NCC, but instead it's more a matter of personal pride? In a good way though.

What I mean to say is, that if Shantae is in Smash, maybe it isn't necessarily that WF can't put her in other cross overs like Blade Strangers and Indie Pogo, but rather they won't do those yet because they want her to make her fighting game debut in Smash first.

Getting into Smash is a huge deal, and for them it's probably a huge honor and pretty important if that turns out to be the case. If so I could see them holding off deals with other fighting games not because they can't or don't want to, but because they just don't want to just yet. Shantae getting into Smash will be a really special moment for them so maybe they don't want to start handing her off to other fighting game projects with Smash right around the corner.

I know the idea seems kind of weird, but at the same time, after mulling it over I also think it'd be weird for Nintendo to make WF agree to an NCC. As much as all of us here like Shantae, I'm unsure if Nintendo would feel the need to secure exclusivity for her as a guest character in fighting games specifically. She's a big deal to us but in the larger picture, she's a niche indie so it feels a little odd to single her out with an NCC like that. But IDK, companies can be weird like that sometimes so I'm probably just overthinking things.
Please don't tell me you came up with that off the top of your head too? ;)

Very interesting idea! It may be a bit of a stretch, but I think it's great!

WiredRM

Smash Cadet

Predictions:
1: Poke Floats 2 (Pokemon Series)
2: Overworld (Minecraft)
3: Forest Maze (Super Mario RPG)
4: Alola Pokemon League (Pokemon Sun and Moon)
5: Monster Hunter Stage (I don't know enough about the series to come up with a name) (I'm a bit iffy on this one, but I picked it because it doesn't make sense for there to be a Monster Hunter boss without a real stage)

Wants:
1: Scuttle Town (Shantae)
2: Access Ark (Kirby: Planet Robobot)
3: Ultra Wormhole (Pokemon Sun and Moon)
4: Bowser's Castle (Mario Series)
5: Subspace (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
That's shocking close to what I would have said. o.o Huh. Just switch Subspace for the Forest Maze in Wants and that'd be my list!

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Please don't tell me you came up with that off the top of your head too? ;)

Very interesting idea! It may be a bit of a stretch, but I think it's great!
I came up with it while searching for the Yoshette artist of all things. But ever since I came back to Smashboards and back to this thread, the NCC thing seemed a little off to me. I don't really have any evidence against it or think it's out of the realm of possibility, it's really just a hunch that I had. Just thought I'd put it out there and see what you guys made of it.

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman

Getting into Smash is a huge deal, and for them it's probably a huge honor and pretty important if that turns out to be the case. If so I could see them holding off deals with other fighting games not because they can't or don't want to, but because they just don't want to just yet. Shantae getting into Smash will be a really special moment for them so maybe they don't want to start handing her off to other fighting game projects with Smash right around the corner.

No, Nintendo making a Niche character be under an NCC makes MORE sense seeing as Nintendo would have more leverage over a small company than a large one.

Wayforward has always been a fan centric company. Them not wanting to put Shantae in fighting games despite fan demand would be way out of character for them. And Nintendo not wanting to share IS in character for them. So a NCC makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord

Getting into Smash is a huge deal, and for them it's probably a huge honor and pretty important if that turns out to be the case. If so I could see them holding off deals with other fighting games not because they can't or don't want to, but because they don't want to just yet. Shantae getting into Smash will be a really special moment for them so maybe they don't want to start handing her off to other fighting game projects with Smash right around the corner.

That would make sense, but at the same time, why would they still deny usage of Shantae in some of the newest Smash-esque games? It doesn't make sense to put one's own pride over their fanbase, especially for a company that's as open as you could get like WayForward.
Celebrity YouTube hacks aside, obviously.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
That would make sense, but at the same time, why would they still deny usage of Shantae in some of the newest Smash-esque games? It doesn't make sense to put one's own pride over their fanbase, especially for a company that's as open as you could get like WayForward.
Celebrity YouTube hacks aside, obviously.
A temporary setback to lead up to a big announcement that would surprise and please the fans maybe? Probably not though. You and King probably hit the nail on the head. It's something I probably should have considered given how protective Nintendo (or any company really) is of these sorts of things and if anything it probably just makes business sense to do while securing rights and probably for confidentiality reasons as well, but I don't know a lot about business deals and laws and whatnot so it kind of flew over my head at first. Either way, thanks for clearing that stuff up.

(Also I just noticed that I used the word probably way too much in this post.)

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
A temporary setback to lead up to a big announcement that would surprise and please the fans maybe? Probably not though. You and King probably hit the nail on the head. It's something I probably should have considered given how protective Nintendo (or any company really) is of these sorts of things and if anything it probably just makes business sense to do while securing rights and probably for confidentiality reasons as well, but I don't know a lot about business deals and laws and whatnot so it kind of flew over my head at first. Either way, thanks for clearing that stuff up.

(Also I just noticed that I used the word probably way too much in this post.)
It was still a great idea though!

Anything new is good, we're seriously lacking ideas like your's on the thread. Thank you!

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
It was still a great idea though!

Anything new is good, we're seriously lacking ideas like your's on the thread. Thank you!
Thanks!

Though honestly I probably should've thought it through a bit more first. I overlooked some easy details that poked pretty big holes in my theory.

Still, I'm glad you liked it.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
That's shocking close to what I would have said. o.o Huh. Just switch Subspace for the Forest Maze in Wants and that'd be my list!
Im A: Glad I'm not the only one who wants a Planet Robobot stage and B: Shocked that I'm not the only one who thought of the Ultra Wormhole as a stage.

Thanks!

Though honestly I probably should've thought it through a bit more first. I overlooked some easy details that poked pretty big holes in my theory.

Still, I'm glad you liked it.
Actually, I think your argument holds some weight. While it is likely they are under an NCC, it's not confirmed. All we have is a lack of deconfirmation. It's kinda like how all Dark Samus and Shadow fans had/have is a lack of deconfirmation. It honestly could go either way.

Edit: Except our case isn't necessarily the end-all be-all.

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I hate to bring an heir of pessimism. However, there is currently only one OTHER logical reason i've heard to explain why Shantae isn't a fighter in any fighting games is that she might appear in the upcoming Switch port of Skull Girls. Apparently, WF is really close to that game's developers. and Matt Bozon himself said they would be open to the idea of including Shantae in skull girls. https://youtu.be/PDQUa_96N7E?t=1h34m24s

While it doesn't make sense for Shantae to not be in ANY fighting games it does make sense that WF might not want to oversaturate her appearances and would choose ONE fighting game to include her -- If indeed she's not a fighter in Smash or merely an Assist trophy.

However, I still think Shantae as a fighter is the most likely situation. Because, if Shantae isn't in the game at all then Why doesn't WF just come out and say she isn't? and if she's merely an Assist trophy why would they tease her in Jammies mode if she was simply going to be a NPC? It's wreckless and makes no sense.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
It's very late where I'm at now, so good night everyone!

And some sleepy Shantae & Rotty for Dylly:
CTOxr2sVAAATSCD (2).jpg

Edit: And of course I can't leave just as Skullgirls gets brought up. Since that's another of my favorite fighters, I'd love it if Shantae got into SG, though I can't help but feel as though she'd feel a little out of place. Art wise I think she'd transition fine, but the world/setting of SG has a very different tone from what we get in Shantae. Then again if she's going to be in Indivisible it'll likely be a similar situation there in which case it won't be a problem either way.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
I hate to bring an heir of pessimism. However, there is currently only one OTHER logical reason i've heard to explain why Shantae isn't a fighter in any fighting games is that she might appear in the upcoming Switch port of Skull Girls. Apparently, WF is really close to that game's developers. and Matt Bozon himself said they would be open to the idea of including Shantae in skull girls. https://youtu.be/PDQUa_96N7E?t=1h34m24s

While it doesn't make sense for Shantae to not be in ANY fighting games it does make sense that WF might not want to oversaturate her appearances and would choose ONE fighting game to include her -- If indeed she's not a fighter in Smash or merely an Assist trophy.

However, I still think Shantae as a fighter is the most likely situation. Because, if Shantae isn't in the game at all then Why doesn't WF just come out and say she isn't? and if she's merely an Assist trophy why would they tease her in Jammies mode if she was simply going to be a NPC? It's wreckless and makes no sense.
Hmm, that's actually very interesting! And it could make sense from a heart-to-heart standpoint. Mean, it's enough when we know that Indivisible will have Shantae in it! Though in all honesty, I could not really see Shantae fitting in all that well with the Art Deco style or with the cast, at least in her current form. But still, good on you for finding something interesting!

WiredRM

Smash Cadet
Im A: Glad I'm not the only one who wants a Planet Robobot stage and B: Shocked that I'm not the only one who thought of the Ultra Wormhole as a stage.
I'd have either picked Ultra Wormhole or Po Town as my most memorable areas in Sun/Moon, but given the increased emphasis they put on Ultra Space in Ultra Sun/Moon, it seemed like the more sensible choice. I'd possibly have picked Dedede's Castle as the Planet Robobot stage, but it seemed greedy to want both Dedede's Castle and Bowser's Castle in the same small list.

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, that's actually very interesting! And it could make sense from a heart-to-heart standpoint. Mean, it's enough when we know that Indivisible will have Shantae in it! Though in all honesty, I could not really see Shantae fitting in all that well with the Art Deco style or with the cast, at least in her current form. But still, good on you for finding something interesting!
Agreed, She seems like a better fit for Indiepogo, Blade Strangers and Smash bros but NOT Smash.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Yup.

She WOULDN'T fit in Smash but she WOULD fit in Smash Bros.. Now would she fit in Super Smash Bros.? Now there's a question!
Probably not Super Smash Bros. since that was before her time, but she'll be a fine fit for Ultimate.

I really should be going now though...

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Let's predict, who will people draw Shantae ****ing first from the Smash roster if she gets revealed in Smash? Cause its going to happen.
If she ends up in the banner with Daisy like some are speculating, let's just say the two will be joined at the hip in a few different ways.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

I would legit be HYPE AS **** if she got into mother****** SKULLGIRLS.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

I hope we're just getting a Creeper assist trophy and that's that.
Uh, what?

- Battlefield
- Final Destination
- Smashville
- Balloon Fight
- Find Mii
- Hanenbow
- Living Room
- Miiverse
- Picto Chat (all variants)
- Pilotwings
- Tomodachi Life
- Wrecking Crew
- Wuhu Island

All stages without a playable character.

As for "Shantae in Skullgirls"

Again, it doesn't explain why WayForward would flat out ignore anything related to Smash.
Plus, there is the question of credibility.
Anyone can claim to have heard a heart-to-heart between two developers.

With Shantae in Smash however, we have more tangible evidence.
Namely the fact how WayForward pushed Shantae during the Smash 4 ballot.
And they even went so far to designs various outfits and colors, as well as an icon for her.

It might be true that Matt Bozon is good friends with the developers of Skullgirls.
But it is also true, that he, alongside with all of WayForward, pushed Shantae like crazy when the ballot was up and created design ideas for her.
Something I haven't seen them doing for any other game yet, that isn't theirs.

Maybe they want Shantae in Skullgirls, but they also definitely want her in Smash.
Their campaign during the ballot should prove that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
I hate to bring an heir of pessimism. However, there is currently only one OTHER logical reason i've heard to explain why Shantae isn't a fighter in any fighting games is that she might appear in the upcoming Switch port of Skull Girls. Apparently, WF is really close to that game's developers. and Matt Bozon himself said they would be open to the idea of including Shantae in skull girls.
Um...Hi, I actually work at Lab Zero (the company who made Skullgirls) and we're just working on Indivisible at the moment, there's definitely no plans for another Skullgirls character or anything like that since everyone is working on our other game...sorry....

Shantae is in indiv though, I'm very excited to work on her

Top Bottom