• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I can't remember what first got my attention with Shantae, but I think I saw something about the HGH Kickstarter, started to do some "research", found I liked the character design, saw that her games were relatively cheap on 3DS, so bought them. Then I backed HGH and I've loved her ever since. Probably the fastest I've grown to like a series and its characters, probably due to how quirky and amazing they are!

Shadowknight1

Just something to banter about, but are any of you actually annoyed about the "retro" bit-crushed voice like I am?
Say wha?

As for Shantae in certain...*ahem* positions with other members of the Smash cast...I'm not sure that's appropriate lol

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
I can't remember what first got my attention with Shantae, but I think I saw something about the HGH Kickstarter, started to do some "research", found I liked the character design, saw that her games were relatively cheap on 3DS, so bought them. Then I backed HGH and I've loved her ever since. Probably the fastest I've grown to like a series and its characters, probably due to how quirky and amazing they are!
I started liking shantae when I saw this thread. I ended up liking her so much just to get her game the following month lololol

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I kind of find it funny that all the Super Crown versions of the baddies and such tend to have pointed ears in a lot of the fanart, but Shantae naturally has them anyway so that still ends up being a consistent thing.
I'm not 100% sure of this but I read that pointed ears is a visual trope for supernatural/non-human origin in Japan. (The dorfs in Lodoss War. And let's not get started on the elves...)

Let's predict, who will people draw Shantae ****ing first from the Smash roster if she gets revealed in Smash? Cause its going to happen.
Pit comes to mind. I have a feeling they'd get along well.

Link is another likely choice. Pretty boy is popular, and if he was in that Gerudo outfit... DOUBLE BEDLAH PO-WEEER!

I hope it's Snake.

He would love to be ****ed by Shantae.
Snake is a horndog. People might go for it.

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
What got me into Shantae at first was her design which I really find amazing. Then the songs from her series which very quickly became my favorties from any video games. I just love the whole universe, characters, humor, enemies ect

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
How did I learn about Shantae? I'm not remembering the exact moment, but I think I was browsing the boorus in tags related to Aisha Clanclan from Outlaw Star. I came across some Shantae fan art and thought "This charcter is cute". Fastforward a bit to the HGh Kickstarter and the Steam Greenlight for Risky's Revenge and I was a loyal supporter.

I think Josue Pereira and Nerf Now might have helped out at some point. It certainly helped cement my support for the Kickstarter.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

For me, I rank them thusly:
1-Pirate's Curse
2-Half Genie Hero
3-Risky's Revenge
4-Shantae.

I want the next game to focus more on making her transformations more useful. I like the way they were executed in HGH, but some of them were barely useful, like the Bat. Give us some dungeons based around the transformations! Like a narrow, almost claustrophobic dungeon for the Monkey, something that requires a lot of flight for the Harpy, things like that.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Okay, are you trying to test us again?
No just saying that so that it doesn't ruin the story for the one that wants to get Pirate Curse now. So again that situation was a laugh with that Stoner guy.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Please do not post media-only replies.
I'm not 100% sure of this but I read that pointed ears is a visual trope for supernatural/non-human origin in Japan. (The dorfs in Lodoss War. And let's not get started on the elves...)

Pit comes to mind. I have a feeling they'd get along well.

Link is another likely choice. Pretty boy is popular, and if he was in that Gerudo outfit... DOUBLE BEDLAH PO-WEEER!

Snake is a horndog. People might go for it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
For me, I rank them thusly:
1-Pirate's Curse
2-Half Genie Hero
3-Risky's Revenge
4-Shantae.

I want the next game to focus more on making her transformations more useful. I like the way they were executed in HGH, but some of them were barely useful, like the Bat. Give us some dungeons based around the transformations! Like a narrow, almost claustrophobic dungeon for the Monkey, something that requires a lot of flight for the Harpy, things like that.
The bat is quite useful up until you get the harpy. Find a high platform and you can skip whole platforming segments.

It's the spider that is the most infuriatingly useless transformation in the game. Not only is there only one puzzle room that ever needs it, it lacks any kind of utility outside of it due to being slow, not jumping well, it's projectile being weak and obtained far too late, and there barely being any ceilings for it to take advantage of. It drives me nuts becuase it's design is awesome and grappling COULD be really fun to use, but nooooo. Climbing sheer walls is a monkey's job apparently.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
The bat is quite useful up until you get the harpy. Find a high platform and you can skip whole platforming segments.

It's the spider that is the most infuriatingly useless transformation in the game. Not only is there only one puzzle room that ever needs it, it lacks any kind of utility outside of it due to being slow, not jumping well, it's projectile being weak and obtained far too late, and there barely being any ceilings for it to take advantage of. It drives me nuts becuase it's design is awesome and grappling COULD be really fun to use, but nooooo. Climbing sheer walls is a monkey's job apparently.
Well, the Zelda franchise has been struggling with the same problem for over 30 years, and they still haven't fixed this problem entirely.

Let's hope that Shantae learns faster...

Shadowknight1

Well, watching Brickroad's playthrough of the original Shantae, it seems like the spider is the BEST way to fight Risky Boots. Just spam the projectile and avoid getting in close. And it's not so slow in HGH if you crawl, surprisingly. While in the original Shantae, it was slower than the elephant if you crawled! lol

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Huh, interesting.

As much as I dislike that game, her design is pretty cool, and she's a genie after all. I did think about how similar the two characters were at one point too.
That's a good idea. :)
Heheh, thanks!
Shantae + Super Crown =

Great work huh?
EDIT: View attachment 167086
I had a feeling someone would Crown Shantae soon. Nice find!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, watching Brickroad's playthrough of the original Shantae, it seems like the spider is the BEST way to fight Risky Boots. Just spam the projectile and avoid getting in close. And it's not so slow in HGH if you crawl, surprisingly. While in the original Shantae, it was slower than the elephant if you crawled! lol
The crawl speed hardly matters, if you can't jump or clear any kind of gap without assistance in an action platformer that Half-Genie Hero is in contrast to the older games, you suck. And about the elephant, it's insultingly better at platforming than the spider because it's dash lets it cross gaps!

Spider in that game feels like nothing more than an afterthought, with the main ones getting all the love in terms of function and leaving the ones after with almost nothing just so there won't be any overlap in function.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Is this a leak or a motivation message? I found this in the spread sheet. Also people are just mean on what this person said.
Optimism,something i don't have.

"History with Nintendo doesn't matter"
Literally every 3rd party series has appeared on Nintendo consoles at least once. Cloud was a rep for FF as a series (even though FF7 is the only one physically represented).

"She's not an iconic enough 3rd party"
Neither was Bayonetta. Snake was a character I never heard of before Smash (am I the only one?)

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

"History with Nintendo doesn't matter"
Literally every 3rd party series has appeared on Nintendo consoles at least once. Cloud was a rep for FF as a series (even though FF7 is the only one physically represented).

"She's not an iconic enough 3rd party"
Neither was Bayonetta. Snake was a character I never heard of before Smash (am I the only one?)
Are you legitimately bringing yourself down because of your pessimism, or are you joking?

You're a nice guy, there's nothing wrong with being a little pessimistic from time to time.
I like you, no need to be that way. :(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Are you legitimately bringing yourself down because of your pessimism, or are you joking?

You're a nice guy, there's nothing wrong with being a little pessimistic from time to time.
Actuality he was reading the rude comments and proving them wrong

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Actuality he was reading the rude comments and proving them wrong
Okay then, more specifically this quote:

I'm just terrified whenever I see someone share any similar aspects to me, and I don't want anyone ending up in the same position that I have. If you knew anything about my record, you'd know why that would be such a bad thing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay then, more specifically this quote:

I'm just terrified whenever I see someone share any similar aspects to me, and I don't want anyone ending up in the same position that I have. If you knew anything about my record, you'd know why that would be such a bad thing.
He crossed that out because it was a joke
Calm down please your fine

Last edited by a moderator:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord

That was a joke, and I'm fine. I'm more worried that my pessimism has rubbed off on you. Seriously, half of your posts since you've come back you've been beating yourself up. I know it's hard to say positive with what you're dealing with, but none of it's your fault.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
That was a joke, and I'm fine. I'm more worried that my pessimism has rubbed off on you. Seriously, half of your posts since you've come back you've been beating yourself up. I know it's hard to say positive with what you're dealing with, but none of it's your fault.
I'm just worried about a friend ending up like me. :(
I'm sorry.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I know it was brought up a while ago, but I would not at all be opposed to getting a Frogger stage in Smash. It's a pretty deserving classic imo (and sadly often times forgotten)

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I know it was brought up a while ago, but I would not at all be opposed to getting a Frogger stage in Smash. It's a pretty deserving classic (and sadly often times forgotten) imo.
What would the stage be exactly?
I was thinking a 3D version of the arcade game, where your set in a city at first, and your having to dodge cars and trucks, and then you're whisked off to a river/bog setting where you would hop across logs, and dodge crocodiles. It would be completely impractical, but really fun.

What were you thinking?

(Gosh darn it, if only you know who the artist of the picture in your profile pic was! It's so cute. <3)

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
What would the stage be exactly?
I was thinking a 3D version of the arcade game, where your set in a city at first, and your having to dodge cars and trucks, and then you're whisked off to a river/bog setting where you would hop across logs, and dodge crocodiles. It would be completely impractical, but really fun.

What were you thinking?

(Gosh darn it, if only you know who the artist of the picture in your profile pic was! It's so cute. <3)
I more or less had the same idea. Take the arcade game and condense the levels into a side scrolling stage like Mushroomy Kingdom.

I'm going with a side scroller specifically with the idea that the perspective is changed so that the cars and other moving obstacles are moving towards or away from the camera; moving from the background onto the stage's actual plane. That way we could actually simulate crossing traffic lanes and stuff like that. So I guess the best comparison would like Mushroomy Kingdom, but if the racers from Port Town Aero Dive were constantly driving through, but of course not quite as fast as that'd just be obnoxious and unplayable at that point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom