• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Japan is pretty good :O
It's not the first time I've seen how prepared they are to respond.
Actually it reminds me of an anime I saw that was made pretty realistic and responding to a crisis.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Let's see now.

EDIT: Finally

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What happened to my sig?
Sigs usually only show up once per page.
Go back to the top to view it. Your Shantae for smash isn't showing up for me, it's too much at the bottom, where it gets cut off by the limit.
I had to aimlessly copy what was in it to see it was a hashtag ;)

Last edited:

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
Even though this has probably been done before, I wanted to share my ideas for a possible Smash-Moveset for Shantae.
It will mostly focus on the original game, with some stuff from the later games.

None of my movesets will include the Pirate's Gear, since everyone seems to use them for their moveset suggestions.

I have different movesets, depending on how her transformations are used.
But I will start with the attacks, that would be the same for all movesets.

Jab: Hair Whip
D-Tilt: Crouching Hair Whip

Both come straight from the Shantae games, as her signature attack.
Her Hair Whip has less range than Simon's Holy Whip, but is faster and can be used in rapid succession.
Each hit knocks the opponent back a little, making infinite combo's impossible.

S-Tilt: Roundhouse Kick
Shantae's Kick Attack from Pirate's Curse.

U-Tilt: Rising Kick
Ground-Version of Shantae's "Rising Kick" from the first game.

Dash: Elbow Charge
Another "Fighter's Gear" move returning from the first game.

Grab: Hair Toss
Ties up the opponent with her hair.
Pummel the opponent with knee strikes and then simply toss them with your hair in any direction!

N-Air: Tiara Spin
Spinning Attack, hitting in all directions around her.
Just like the same "Fighter's Gear" move from the first game.

U-Air: Aerial Rising Kick
Same as her U-Tilt but in the air.
Resembles her "Fighter's Gear" move more closely (except it doesn't lift her up)

D-Air: Drill Kick
And the last of her "Fighter's Gear" moves from the first game.
The Drill Kick works pretty much like in said game, except it's faster and goes straight down (not diagonal down, like in the actual game).
Of course, it can be used to spike the opponent.

F-Air: Forward Spin
Hits forward with her hair, while spinning.

B-Air: Backflip Kick
Exactly what it says on the tin.

Neutral Special: Fireball/Flash Bolt/Flamethrower
Fire a Fireball projectile forward. Can be charged.
Middle Charge turns it into the Flash Bolt from the original game, firing three projectiles.
And at maximum charge it becomes the Flamethrower attack, that made its debut in Risky's Revenge.

Side Special: Storm Puff
Sends out a small cloud, moving into a direction of your choosing and letting out a couple lightning strikes on its way before it disappears.
Can be delayed by holding the button or cancelled by Shielding.

And that covers the attacks, that would be the same for all movesets I have thought up.

Now for the interesting part...
I have two possible movesets, using her transformations in different ways.

Moveset 1: Smash-Transformations
The simplest way to use Shantae's Transformations, is to use her in Smash and Special Attacks.
She quickly transforms into her forms for the attack and then reverts right back after the attack.
And so, the attacks are as follows:

F-Smash: Monkey Bullet
Changes into a Monkey and performs her Monkey Bullet.
Reaches further than normal Smash-Attacks, but has less knockback.

D-Smash: Elephant Stomp
Changes into an Elephant and performs a stomp-attack, causing a shockwave that hits opponents around her.

U-Smash: Spider Web
Changes into a Spider and fires a Spider String upwards.
If it connects, it grabs the opponent, slams him into the ground and launches them upwards.

Up Special: Harpy Flight
Changes into Harpy Form, allowing Shantae to fly freely for a short time, before the transformation runs out.
Pure Recovery Move!

Down Special: Pike Ball
Shantae uses three Pike Balls flying around her, blocking projectiles and dealing minor damage to opponents on direct contact.
The Pike Balls have limited hits. After a certain number of blocked projectiles or direct hits, they will disappear.
Shantae can also throw the Pike Balls in an arc, by pressing the command again, while the Pike Balls are up.

Moveset 2: Special-Transformations
This moveset is more faithful to how the transformations work in the games, but is also a little more complex.

F-Smash: Power Whip
A powerful Hair Whip Attack with more range and power, but only single hit.
Yes, that means her hair grows longer during an F-Smash.
Referencing the upgrade from the games, that makes her hair longer, giving it more range.

U-Smash: Ponytail Arc
Swings her hair in an arc upwards, covering a wide area above her.

D-Smash: Pike Balls/Fireballs
Uses Pike Balls to hit opponents on both sides.
At maximum charge, it becomes the Fireball Item from the first game!
(FYI, in the first game, the Fireballs weren't a projectile, but rather an upgraded Pike Ball)

Up Special: Float Muffin
Launches her into the air, while also ramming anyone in her way.

Down Special: Transformation Dance
This is where the complex part of this moveset, comes into play.
Holding down the button will make Shantae start dancing.
While she dances, you have four transformation-options. Monkey, Elephant, Spider and Harpy. (The original four!)
Each Transformation is tied to one of four directions. Like Shulk's new Monado Art Wheel!
Pressing the corresponding button, allows you to turn into said form.
To stop dancing, simply let go of the B-Button without pressing a direction and you cancel the move without transforming.

You can only stay transformed for a limited time.
If you want to revert back into Shantae, before the time limit is up, press Down-B again.
(The Transformations are timed, since I fear they might be very exploitable, even with the weaknesses they have.)

Transformations excel at different roles, but their movesets are very simplified.
They have no Smash Attacks or Grabs. And they only have a single Special Attack (Two if you count the reverting back to Shantae).
This is because making full movesets for each and every form, would be a very daunting task.
With limited and simplified movesets, I figured the transformations as specials, would be more realizable.

Monkey Form
The Monkey Form excels at swift attacks, that don't hit very hard but are fast and can rack up damage quickly.
A unleashes quick, rapid attacks with the Monkey Claw. And B allows you to leap forward with the Monkey Bullet.
You can even direct it!
The Monkey Form is small, but also very light. Meaning it can be knocked off very early!

Elephant Form
The Elephant Form may be very slow, but it hits very hard.
Perform a ramming attack with A and a Stomp-Attack with B, with a rather wide range.
You can even damage opponents simply by landing on top of them.
The Elephant Form is powerful and also a tank. Due to its weight, it can take quite a lot of punishment.
But it comes at the cost of pitiful air capabilities, very low jumps and worse recovery options than even Little Mac.

Spider Form
The Spider Form is a trickster, excelling at zoning.
Use your Spider Venom with A to hit opponents from a distance and use your Zip Line with B.
You can direct the Zip Line and do lots of things with it.
If you hit an opponent you can throw them.
If you hit the ground, you will make a spider web, that lasts for limited amount of time, slowing down opponents that walk into it.
And if you hit a wall or ceiling you can stick onto them.
You can even use the Spider Venom from these positions!
However, the Spider Form is rather weak in close-range combat. So keep your distance!

Harpy Form
The Harpy Form excels at aerial combat. Having multiple air jumps.
Use your Talon-Attack with A and use a spinning attack with B. Keep holding down B, while in the air, to glide for a limited time.
Her Recovery is phenomenal for obvious reasons.
The Harpy Form is swift and strong in the air. But not so much on the ground, where she is slower.
Also, while not as vulnerable as the Monkey Form, she can still be knocked off a little easier than normal.

And here we have the two possible ways the transformations could be handled.
Which one do you prefer? Or do you have a better idea?

As for her "Final Smash"
Either "Dance Parlor", "Obliberate" or "Friends til the End"
Enough said.
Naturally I very much prefer the second option as it very much stays true to her character while offering a playstyle that no other fighter could provide!

I'd also add the mermaid to the lineup of transformations myself...even if said form is useless and pitiful on land.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I added Shantae to my prediction list, I was originally highly reluctant but I got convinced after someone I know who knows how the industry works got convinced that we were getting her. Plus with all of the evidence pointing towards her inclusion I really feel like this is something that will come to light in this iteration of Smash.
What do you mean they know how the industry works?

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Naturally I very much prefer the second option as it very much stays true to her character while offering a playstyle that no other fighter could provide!

I'd also add the mermaid to the lineup of transformations myself...even if said form is useless and pitiful on land.
I was mostly focused on the original game.
Plus, the Mermaid form would be really useless.
Most stages don't have water.
And in the ones that do, I can't see any possible use, other than hiding and being untouchable.

So yeah, I prefer sticking to the original four transformations in that regard. ;)

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
I was mostly focused on the original game.
Plus, the Mermaid form would be really useless.
Most stages don't have water.
And in the ones that do, I can't see any possible use, other than hiding and being untouchable.

So yeah, I prefer sticking to the original four transformations in that regard. ;)
Maybe Mermaid could still be utilized in her Final Smash somehow where it traps opponents first in bubbles.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
As part of her Final Smash, yeah.
But as a special in live-gameplay, I don't think she can work.
Yes but Mermaids are pretty, so they could invent something for her, like jazzy was suggesting. Could be for a taunt too.
But dunno what Sakurai would like :p

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
And updated. It would be nice if someone added all those custom icons to the "other" section of the Smilies option.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If someone wants a different kind of Shantae icon, I found this bunch that has some different ones than the ones on smashboards:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
At the very least we'd get the amiibo :D
I might even be tempted to get two if there'd be different poses.

But yes, figurines and more would be nice :)
I just hope people don't pull a Rosalina Amiibo "Buy as many so others can't get them cause I hate this character." for Shantae. I'm still mad at that man even today. I still don't have a Smash Rosalina Amiibo.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
If someone wants a different kind of Shantae icon, I found this bunch that has some different ones than the ones on smashboards:

We should try and find someone that could put those under a "Special" category in the "Smilies" option. These are great.

zferolie

Smash Hero
well japan is VERY used to natural disasters. They are quite planned and ready for them, so downtime is short

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I just hope people don't pull a Rosalina Amiibo "Buy as many so others can't get them cause I hate this character." for Shantae. I'm still mad at that man even today. I still don't have a Smash Rosalina Amiibo.
I literally want to take a golf club to that guy.

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
We should try and find someone that could put those under a "Special" category in the "Smilies" option. These are great.
The problem with doing that is it would just take a lot of effort and storage space for a ton of emotes that honestly mostly won't be used very often, especially after speculation season is over.

It's okay though, we'll get an official one when we're confirmed.
(You optimistic types are starting to get to me, I've dropped the /if )

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
well japan is VERY used to natural disasters. They are quite planned and ready for them, so downtime is short
I wish here in Puerto Rico was the same. It took about 11 months to restore power to 100% of the island.

EDIT: We should have been prepared especially when we are in the Hurricane lane part of the World. Then again I blame my island's government.

But what do I care. I have
to keep me happy.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The problem with doing that is it would just take a lot of effort and storage space for a ton of emotes that honestly mostly won't be used very often, especially after speculation season is over.

It's okay though, we'll get an official one when we're confirmed.
(You optimistic types are starting to get to me, I've dropped the /if )
I don't think it'd be useless to have, if someone were to put some of the more popular ones.
I'd like to point out that we have 2 sets for pokemon, that hardly get used, and like 10 drifloons in the 'other' section, which is kinda funny.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I literally want to take a golf club to that guy.
oh trust me i've had a grudge for MarioTehPlumber way before the Rosalina Amiibo thing. As a big sonic fan he's was known (and still is known) as a screeching manchild on the internet hating on modern sonic and he thinks anything with any sort of anime influence is some sort of hentai (Splatoon, Rosalina and Modern Sonic's Spikes are all hentai to him).

Girnee

Smash Cadet
Even though this has probably been done before, I wanted to share my ideas for a possible Smash-Moveset for Shantae.
It will mostly focus on the original game, with some stuff from the later games.

None of my movesets will include the Pirate's Gear, since everyone seems to use them for their moveset suggestions.

I have different movesets, depending on how her transformations are used.
But I will start with the attacks, that would be the same for all movesets.

Jab: Hair Whip
D-Tilt: Crouching Hair Whip

Both come straight from the Shantae games, as her signature attack.
Her Hair Whip has less range than Simon's Holy Whip, but is faster and can be used in rapid succession.
Each hit knocks the opponent back a little, making infinite combo's impossible.

S-Tilt: Roundhouse Kick
Shantae's Kick Attack from Pirate's Curse.

U-Tilt: Rising Kick
Ground-Version of Shantae's "Rising Kick" from the first game.

Dash: Elbow Charge
Another "Fighter's Gear" move returning from the first game.

Grab: Hair Toss
Ties up the opponent with her hair.
Pummel the opponent with knee strikes and then simply toss them with your hair in any direction!

N-Air: Tiara Spin
Spinning Attack, hitting in all directions around her.
Just like the same "Fighter's Gear" move from the first game.

U-Air: Aerial Rising Kick
Same as her U-Tilt but in the air.
Resembles her "Fighter's Gear" move more closely (except it doesn't lift her up)

D-Air: Drill Kick
And the last of her "Fighter's Gear" moves from the first game.
The Drill Kick works pretty much like in said game, except it's faster and goes straight down (not diagonal down, like in the actual game).
Of course, it can be used to spike the opponent.

F-Air: Forward Spin
Hits forward with her hair, while spinning.

B-Air: Backflip Kick
Exactly what it says on the tin.

Neutral Special: Fireball/Flash Bolt/Flamethrower
Fire a Fireball projectile forward. Can be charged.
Middle Charge turns it into the Flash Bolt from the original game, firing three projectiles.
And at maximum charge it becomes the Flamethrower attack, that made its debut in Risky's Revenge.

Side Special: Storm Puff
Sends out a small cloud, moving into a direction of your choosing and letting out a couple lightning strikes on its way before it disappears.
Can be delayed by holding the button or cancelled by Shielding.

And that covers the attacks, that would be the same for all movesets I have thought up.

Now for the interesting part...
I have two possible movesets, using her transformations in different ways.

Moveset 1: Smash-Transformations
The simplest way to use Shantae's Transformations, is to use her in Smash and Special Attacks.
She quickly transforms into her forms for the attack and then reverts right back after the attack.
And so, the attacks are as follows:

F-Smash: Monkey Bullet
Changes into a Monkey and performs her Monkey Bullet.
Reaches further than normal Smash-Attacks, but has less knockback.

D-Smash: Elephant Stomp
Changes into an Elephant and performs a stomp-attack, causing a shockwave that hits opponents around her.

U-Smash: Spider Web
Changes into a Spider and fires a Spider String upwards.
If it connects, it grabs the opponent, slams him into the ground and launches them upwards.

Up Special: Harpy Flight
Changes into Harpy Form, allowing Shantae to fly freely for a short time, before the transformation runs out.
Pure Recovery Move!

Down Special: Pike Ball
Shantae uses three Pike Balls flying around her, blocking projectiles and dealing minor damage to opponents on direct contact.
The Pike Balls have limited hits. After a certain number of blocked projectiles or direct hits, they will disappear.
Shantae can also throw the Pike Balls in an arc, by pressing the command again, while the Pike Balls are up.

Moveset 2: Special-Transformations
This moveset is more faithful to how the transformations work in the games, but is also a little more complex.

F-Smash: Power Whip
A powerful Hair Whip Attack with more range and power, but only single hit.
Yes, that means her hair grows longer during an F-Smash.
Referencing the upgrade from the games, that makes her hair longer, giving it more range.

U-Smash: Ponytail Arc
Swings her hair in an arc upwards, covering a wide area above her.

D-Smash: Pike Balls/Fireballs
Uses Pike Balls to hit opponents on both sides.
At maximum charge, it becomes the Fireball Item from the first game!
(FYI, in the first game, the Fireballs weren't a projectile, but rather an upgraded Pike Ball)

Up Special: Float Muffin
Launches her into the air, while also ramming anyone in her way.

Down Special: Transformation Dance
This is where the complex part of this moveset, comes into play.
Holding down the button will make Shantae start dancing.
While she dances, you have four transformation-options. Monkey, Elephant, Spider and Harpy. (The original four!)
Each Transformation is tied to one of four directions. Like Shulk's new Monado Art Wheel!
Pressing the corresponding button, allows you to turn into said form.
To stop dancing, simply let go of the B-Button without pressing a direction and you cancel the move without transforming.

You can only stay transformed for a limited time.
If you want to revert back into Shantae, before the time limit is up, press Down-B again.
(The Transformations are timed, since I fear they might be very exploitable, even with the weaknesses they have.)

Transformations excel at different roles, but their movesets are very simplified.
They have no Smash Attacks or Grabs. And they only have a single Special Attack (Two if you count the reverting back to Shantae).
This is because making full movesets for each and every form, would be a very daunting task.
With limited and simplified movesets, I figured the transformations as specials, would be more realizable.

Monkey Form
The Monkey Form excels at swift attacks, that don't hit very hard but are fast and can rack up damage quickly.
A unleashes quick, rapid attacks with the Monkey Claw. And B allows you to leap forward with the Monkey Bullet.
You can even direct it!
The Monkey Form is small, but also very light. Meaning it can be knocked off very early!

Elephant Form
The Elephant Form may be very slow, but it hits very hard.
Perform a ramming attack with A and a Stomp-Attack with B, with a rather wide range.
You can even damage opponents simply by landing on top of them.
The Elephant Form is powerful and also a tank. Due to its weight, it can take quite a lot of punishment.
But it comes at the cost of pitiful air capabilities, very low jumps and worse recovery options than even Little Mac.

Spider Form
The Spider Form is a trickster, excelling at zoning.
Use your Spider Venom with A to hit opponents from a distance and use your Zip Line with B.
You can direct the Zip Line and do lots of things with it.
If you hit an opponent you can throw them.
If you hit the ground, you will make a spider web, that lasts for limited amount of time, slowing down opponents that walk into it.
And if you hit a wall or ceiling you can stick onto them.
You can even use the Spider Venom from these positions!
However, the Spider Form is rather weak in close-range combat. So keep your distance!

Harpy Form
The Harpy Form excels at aerial combat. Having multiple air jumps.
Use your Talon-Attack with A and use a spinning attack with B. Keep holding down B, while in the air, to glide for a limited time.
Her Recovery is phenomenal for obvious reasons.
The Harpy Form is swift and strong in the air. But not so much on the ground, where she is slower.
Also, while not as vulnerable as the Monkey Form, she can still be knocked off a little easier than normal.

And here we have the two possible ways the transformations could be handled.
Which one do you prefer? Or do you have a better idea?

As for her "Final Smash"
Either "Dance Parlor", "Obliberate" or "Friends til the End"
Enough said.
I think she could be even better with a combination of elements from both as well as incorporating more of the transformations from HGH. Her transformations could be handled similar to how Shulk's Arts were done: some would be for the transformation dance, while others would be Smash Attacks and other Specials

For example I think Mermaid could be used as a Smash attack: as an F-Smash Shantae could shoot a short range bubble attack, or it could be a D-Smash where she would slap the ground with her tail and it would spray water on both sides of her.

Also add me to the support list, I've been rooting for Shantae since Smash 4 DLC was first announced and it's awesome to see the amount of support she's getting now.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Will the Shantae thread surpass the Isaac thread tho?

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
MFW skipping 10 pages everyday just to get a word in this thread.

a61e6629068970f91072ea1e0ba120b12.jpg

I guess the hype never dies.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
We'll we are in the top topics when it comes to newcomers so I am fine with where we are.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
When it comes to movesets, I personally think her specials would be transformations, her jabs and tilts would be her hair, her smashes and aerials would be a mix of items and pirate weapons.

Specials:

Nuetral: Spider Web. Shots a web forward to immobilize opponent (no damage possibly chargeable for distance) The important thing people forget about neutral specials, is it needs to be something Kirby can conceivably do (and since Sakurai loves Kirby, you know he pays close attention to the moves the little guy get's to use, why do you think they made the Hadoken Ryu's nuetral?) Anyway, I felt spider web made the most sense for Kirby to use as it wouldn't require him to transform and it would be different from moves he already gets to use (where as the fireball or flintlock pistol wouldn't be as unique to moves he already has access to) Plus thanks to star Allies Kirby already has web abilities in his repertoire.

Side special: Monkey Bullet. It would work effectively similar to Fox/Falco's side special potentially with an added effect of clinging to a wall should one be within range

Down Special: Elephant Stomp. This would work primarily like Yoshi's down special where, if executed while on the ground she would spring into the air and slam down, where as if done in the air she would simply slam downward.

Up special: Harpy Flight. She would soar upward in a fashion similar to Meta Knight (but maybe in a single swoop instead of the loop he does) and then at the end of the arch she would get a few flutter jumps before transforming back and falling.

This has already been pretty long so I won't delve into the smashes/aerials unless people are interested.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Doubt it.

But I think we'll pass the Ashley thread sooner rather than later.
In like 3 days tops is my guess. Perhaps I am overestimating the speed at which this thread gets replies. I bet we catch up fairly close to the Isaac thread at least

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
You know even with that Princess Leia/Egyptian type outfit Shantae wears in Pirate's Curse that game is rated E10+ yet all it took to raise the franchise rating to a "T" rating was because of someone who is NOT Shantae lol.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
You know even with that Princess Leia/Egyptian type outfit Shantae wears in Pirate's Curse that game is rated E10+ yet all it took to raise the franchise rating to a "T" rating was because of someone who is NOT Shantae lol.
All I want do
is see you gain
a Giga Mermaid
A Giga Mermaiiiid!~
I dunno how to do spoilers, so I'll just keep this meme spot here*

Teeb147

Smash Legend
In like 3 days tops is my guess. Perhaps I am overestimating the speed at which this thread gets replies. I bet we catch up fairly close to the Isaac thread at least
Even with the new pace we've been at, the Isaac thread has had a similar pace, and theyre close to 200 pages more than we are. I don't think we can catch up lol.

It'd be impressive if we did, but I don't want to imagine what kind of pace we'd be at for that haha. This is fine now.

Top Bottom