• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Lol. I mean like, she checks all of the marks. The only thing is, Sakurai has to choose what he wants to do. So, do you think Shantae is a character he would pick over other popular choices?
I'll avoid ribbing the potential newcomers so I'll try to state my opinion in a roundabout way:

Bandana Dee, a Pokemon and Isabelle are literally the only "relevant" potentials (for 1st parties). Everyone else would either have to be revived or is a 3rd party with a complicated legal situation. Since Sakurai stated he's referring to the ballot for characters this time, I'm taking him at his word and excluding other potentials that would have normally been considered. And I understand "muh relevancy" isn't an argument but Sakurai would be a literal necromancer if every other potential was included and she was excluded.

If we restrict things to the ballot, Shantae is both relevant and would be an effortless legal situation. She fits the mold of a business strategy: promoting indies, and could literally be the face of that section. She checks every single box of Sakurai's design philosophy (brings something new to the table, unique silhouette, expressive). Her moveset poses an adverse problem in that it's so complex it would have to be simplified. Whereas Sakurai has gone on record as stating that if he can't come up with a moveset for a fighter, they will be excluded even if they tick all the boxes. She's also highly requested.

If it was between Shovel Knight and Shantae, the two contenders for an indie slot (strictly going off the ballot), I could see Sakurai thinking two things: 1. Shovel Knight has only been out for one year, 2. Shantae is more expressive.

In addition, WF has built report with Nintendo over many years. People often say "history" doesn't matter but I think the more salient point here is "working relationship history". The staffs are familiar with each other, which is no small point.

On the other hand, it's true that Sakurai likes his iconic characters and never truly adheres to any set of actual rules so...

But, if he's serious about taking fan demand into consideration and is more concerned about moveset potential than legal or iconic status, she's a serious contender.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Do you guys think Sakurai would actually make her playable?
I don't think Sakurai has anything against her. As silly as it sounds, some seem to be vehemently against the inclusion of western characters in Smash, but I don't think Sakurai is that xenophobic.
Yo! The love for Shantae is amazing!
Pretty different from Gamefaqs, isn't it? ;)

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I just imagine Matt and Sakurai descending from the heavens in the next direct perfectly landing into their chairs to announce everything.
Or plot twist, its this direct....

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Dark humour exists. That said it's still kinda soon, I think.
I kinda feel bad for Isaac supporters because he's got earth bending powers. We don't have to deal with that here.

Last edited:

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Sakurai has anything against her. As silly as it sounds, some seem to be vehemently against the inclusion of western characters in Smash, but I don't think Sakurai is that xenophobic.
The way some people express the "No Western characters" idea paints Sakurai in a really bad light, when it's really just a matter of convenience for Sakurai than any kind of bigotry. Sakurai doesn't speak English, so it's just easier for him (and less risky, what with mistranslations and cultural differences being a potential issue) to meet with Japanese developers. I just wish people would stop assuming the worst about him...

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I can only speak for me but I wouldn't be offended by people who're just playing around.
All I know is that **** happens every day, and we'd go crazy if we couldn't laugh at some of the stuff that happens. But care is precious, of course.

Moving along. There's a few things I'm wondering about merchandise if/when Shantae makes in smash.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
How do you get it without this black background?
1536361189765.png

Edit: Whoops didn't need the bottom one.

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Gamefaqs board is dead! Have you been there lately. It's nothing but leaks. Not even the shotposts are quality anymore.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I can only speak for me but I wouldn't be offended by people who're just playing around.
All I know is that **** happens every day, and we'd go crazy if we couldn't laugh at some of the stuff that happens. But care is precious, of course.

Moving along. There's a few things I'm wondering about merchandise if/when Shantae makes in smash.
It would be nice to finally have a Shantae figure released in the West. Maybe some plush toys similar to the ones in the Jammies Mode game clear pictures.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It would be nice to finally have a Shantae figure released in the West.
At the very least we'd get the amiibo :D
I might even be tempted to get two if there'd be different poses.

But yes, figurines and more would be nice :)

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
What if they released a line of Shantae amiibo, similar to Shovel Knight's?
Why must you want to kill my wallet?
Because I would need them all, and between the Octoling amiibos, the game itself, moving into a new home and the single Shantae amiibbo if she gets in, that's already so much...

Seriously though, I would love that and would need them all.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
That would be pretty awesome, though what functionality would they have in HGH, considering that WayForward "finished" their game? Unless it ties in with the "theoretical" Shantae 3D game.
Well, if they ever were to exist, their release would coincide with a 5th Shantae game. But if they could be used in HGH, they might function similarly to the BOTW amiibo, where if you scan them in, you get items and upgrades and such.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Now how to save this so that I can easily access it? Hmmm.....

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Even though this has probably been done before, I wanted to share my ideas for a possible Smash-Moveset for Shantae.
It will mostly focus on the original game, with some stuff from the later games.

None of my movesets will include the Pirate's Gear, since everyone seems to use them for their moveset suggestions.

I have different movesets, depending on how her transformations are used.
But I will start with the attacks, that would be the same for all movesets.

Jab: Hair Whip
D-Tilt: Crouching Hair Whip

Both come straight from the Shantae games, as her signature attack.
Her Hair Whip has less range than Simon's Holy Whip, but is faster and can be used in rapid succession.
Each hit knocks the opponent back a little, making infinite combo's impossible.

S-Tilt: Roundhouse Kick
Shantae's Kick Attack from Pirate's Curse.

U-Tilt: Rising Kick
Ground-Version of Shantae's "Rising Kick" from the first game.

Dash: Elbow Charge
Another "Fighter's Gear" move returning from the first game.

Grab: Hair Toss
Ties up the opponent with her hair.
Pummel the opponent with knee strikes and then simply toss them with your hair in any direction!

N-Air: Tiara Spin
Spinning Attack, hitting in all directions around her.
Just like the same "Fighter's Gear" move from the first game.

U-Air: Aerial Rising Kick
Same as her U-Tilt but in the air.
Resembles her "Fighter's Gear" move more closely (except it doesn't lift her up)

D-Air: Drill Kick
And the last of her "Fighter's Gear" moves from the first game.
The Drill Kick works pretty much like in said game, except it's faster and goes straight down (not diagonal down, like in the actual game).
Of course, it can be used to spike the opponent.

F-Air: Forward Spin
Hits forward with her hair, while spinning.

B-Air: Backflip Kick
Exactly what it says on the tin.

Neutral Special: Fireball/Flash Bolt/Flamethrower
Fire a Fireball projectile forward. Can be charged.
Middle Charge turns it into the Flash Bolt from the original game, firing three projectiles.
And at maximum charge it becomes the Flamethrower attack, that made its debut in Risky's Revenge.

Side Special: Storm Puff
Sends out a small cloud, moving into a direction of your choosing and letting out a couple lightning strikes on its way before it disappears.
Can be delayed by holding the button or cancelled by Shielding.

And that covers the attacks, that would be the same for all movesets I have thought up.

Now for the interesting part...
I have two possible movesets, using her transformations in different ways.

Moveset 1: Smash-Transformations
The simplest way to use Shantae's Transformations, is to use her in Smash and Special Attacks.
She quickly transforms into her forms for the attack and then reverts right back after the attack.
And so, the attacks are as follows:

F-Smash: Monkey Bullet
Changes into a Monkey and performs her Monkey Bullet.
Reaches further than normal Smash-Attacks, but has less knockback.

D-Smash: Elephant Stomp
Changes into an Elephant and performs a stomp-attack, causing a shockwave that hits opponents around her.

U-Smash: Spider Web
Changes into a Spider and fires a Spider String upwards.
If it connects, it grabs the opponent, slams him into the ground and launches them upwards.

Up Special: Harpy Flight
Changes into Harpy Form, allowing Shantae to fly freely for a short time, before the transformation runs out.
Pure Recovery Move!

Down Special: Pike Ball
Shantae uses three Pike Balls flying around her, blocking projectiles and dealing minor damage to opponents on direct contact.
The Pike Balls have limited hits. After a certain number of blocked projectiles or direct hits, they will disappear.
Shantae can also throw the Pike Balls in an arc, by pressing the command again, while the Pike Balls are up.

Moveset 2: Special-Transformations
This moveset is more faithful to how the transformations work in the games, but is also a little more complex.

F-Smash: Power Whip
A powerful Hair Whip Attack with more range and power, but only single hit.
Yes, that means her hair grows longer during an F-Smash.
Referencing the upgrade from the games, that makes her hair longer, giving it more range.

U-Smash: Ponytail Arc
Swings her hair in an arc upwards, covering a wide area above her.

D-Smash: Pike Balls/Fireballs
Uses Pike Balls to hit opponents on both sides.
At maximum charge, it becomes the Fireball Item from the first game!
(FYI, in the first game, the Fireballs weren't a projectile, but rather an upgraded Pike Ball)

Up Special: Float Muffin
Launches her into the air, while also ramming anyone in her way.

Down Special: Transformation Dance
This is where the complex part of this moveset, comes into play.
Holding down the button will make Shantae start dancing.
While she dances, you have four transformation-options. Monkey, Elephant, Spider and Harpy. (The original four!)
Each Transformation is tied to one of four directions. Like Shulk's new Monado Art Wheel!
Pressing the corresponding button, allows you to turn into said form.
To stop dancing, simply let go of the B-Button without pressing a direction and you cancel the move without transforming.

You can only stay transformed for a limited time.
If you want to revert back into Shantae, before the time limit is up, press Down-B again.
(The Transformations are timed, since I fear they might be very exploitable, even with the weaknesses they have.)

Transformations excel at different roles, but their movesets are very simplified.
They have no Smash Attacks or Grabs. And they only have a single Special Attack (Two if you count the reverting back to Shantae).
This is because making full movesets for each and every form, would be a very daunting task.
With limited and simplified movesets, I figured the transformations as specials, would be more realizable.

Monkey Form
The Monkey Form excels at swift attacks, that don't hit very hard but are fast and can rack up damage quickly.
A unleashes quick, rapid attacks with the Monkey Claw. And B allows you to leap forward with the Monkey Bullet.
You can even direct it!
The Monkey Form is small, but also very light. Meaning it can be knocked off very early!

Elephant Form
The Elephant Form may be very slow, but it hits very hard.
Perform a ramming attack with A and a Stomp-Attack with B, with a rather wide range.
You can even damage opponents simply by landing on top of them.
The Elephant Form is powerful and also a tank. Due to its weight, it can take quite a lot of punishment.
But it comes at the cost of pitiful air capabilities, very low jumps and worse recovery options than even Little Mac.

Spider Form
The Spider Form is a trickster, excelling at zoning.
Use your Spider Venom with A to hit opponents from a distance and use your Zip Line with B.
You can direct the Zip Line and do lots of things with it.
If you hit an opponent you can throw them.
If you hit the ground, you will make a spider web, that lasts for limited amount of time, slowing down opponents that walk into it.
And if you hit a wall or ceiling you can stick onto them.
You can even use the Spider Venom from these positions!
However, the Spider Form is rather weak in close-range combat. So keep your distance!

Harpy Form
The Harpy Form excels at aerial combat. Having multiple air jumps.
Use your Talon-Attack with A and use a spinning attack with B. Keep holding down B, while in the air, to glide for a limited time.
Her Recovery is phenomenal for obvious reasons.
The Harpy Form is swift and strong in the air. But not so much on the ground, where she is slower.
Also, while not as vulnerable as the Monkey Form, she can still be knocked off a little easier than normal.

And here we have the two possible ways the transformations could be handled.
Which one do you prefer? Or do you have a better idea?

As for her "Final Smash"
Either "Dance Parlor", "Obliberate" or "Friends til the End"
Enough said.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Now how to save this so that I can easily access it? Hmmm.....
Right click it and save image. or copy link location for the url.

If you're on another kind of device then I can't help you XD

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Well 99% of Hokkaido has had its power restored, just learned that, thats good. And of course that means we're closer to the direct getting its new date. Damn they work fast.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Well 99% of Hokkaido has had its power restored, just learned that, thats good. And of course that means we're closer to the direct getting its new date. Damn they work fast.
Oh wow, I thought I heard on NHK that it would be at least a week before they could get power back in that amount. Guess the inspections on the plants went by without issue.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Really? Thats amazing! I hope everyone is okay after what happened.

Now I gotta go back and constantly check Nintendo's twitter.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Okay so new sig with some colorful text lol.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Already ? Damn, they're so fast.
But hey, that's great to hear for these people. I hope they found or will find the missing persons.

D

Deleted member

Then what’s the 1%?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Wow so the power is back already? It took a month for me to get power back and that was just a Hurricane. It just goes to show that Japan is prepared for disasters better than anyone.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I added Shantae to my prediction list, I was originally highly reluctant but I got convinced after someone I know who knows how the industry works got convinced that we were getting her. Plus with all of the evidence pointing towards her inclusion I really feel like this is something that will come to light in this iteration of Smash.

D

Deleted member

Just to let you all know I’m going to place evidence why shantae is a fighter later.

Top Bottom