• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Where do you guys think Shantae would get revealed (if she were to be revealed), in a Nintendo Direct or in a Smash Direct?

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
A reminder that anyone can make a fake text leak claiming that they had inside info and that anyone who is decent enough at Photoshop can make a fake image leak. Do not believe these leaks regardless of how much you want them to be true.

Only trust Nintendo, Sakurai, and actual credible sources.

D

Deleted member

A reminder that anyone can make a fake text leak claiming that they had inside info and that anyone who is decent enough at Photoshop can make a fake image leak. Do not believe these leaks regardless of how much you want them to be true.

Only trust Nintendo, Sakurai, and actual credible sources.
Speaking of which I don’t trust verge or loz18 do you all not as well?

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Hmm... I'm thinking they would reveal her in a Nintendo Direct since she could potentially tie into a business strategy (promoting indies; a stated goal of Nintendo). Since she's often the face (along with Shovel Knight) of the indie section, she can draw people into investigating that section and potentially stumble upon new games.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Nope. Loz18 hasn't had credible information since E3 and Verg has just made a few lucky guesses while being incredibly sketchy at the same time. The fact that people in the Smash community treat their words as gospel frankly makes me disappointed that they're so easily believed.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
This is more of a easter egg, but if you do talk to mimic at a certain point on your adventure. He will give out a talk about 4 certain people on them completing their adventure.

One completes the adventure slow while accomplishing everything.

One that accomplishing everything in a hurry.

One that rushes through focusing on the time only.

One that finishes their quest steady with the focus on the goal only.

Can you guess the 4 characters Mimic was referring to?
Uhh thats a reference to the 4 possible ways to beat the game, 100% run, 100% fastst time, any% fastest time, and any%.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Wow! The one night I actually decide to act like a normal human being and go to sleep and I wake up to find I missed out on nearly 10 pages...

Jeeze you guys, You know I have a life that i had to put on hold to read all those pages and get fully caught up XD

Anyway, my 2 cents is that nothing has changed. Her chances are still as they always were, Bozon just retweeted a picture that wasn't Smash related but the original poster just through a smash hastag in the middle of 7 other hashtags.

There are still too many dubious occurrences surrounding our magical lady that are still easiest explained when painted in her favor:

Jammies mode talking about an "Ultimate" party where "Everyone" is invited being programmed before any one on the internet knew those two words and their context would be relevant to Smash

Wayforward being very generous at allowing Shantae to guest in many games (Blaster Master, Mutant Mudds, Indivisible, Runbow) but not including her in any fighting games (be they critically acclaimed like Rivals or promising to be successful like Blade Strangers)

And the tonal change of Wayforward on Social media whenever the subject of Smash arises.

I could understand the Jammies references being a very lucky coincidence, but even that would be a stretch that they decided to script lines about a party inviting everyone without knowing that would be a Smash theme. I could understand not wanting Shantae to be in every indie game under the sun, but when she is highly requested for two very good games like Aether and Blade strangers but she is kept out of both it seems less like just Wayforward being protective. And I could see them not wanting to stir the pot on social media by giving fans false hope, but even then I feel a normal Wayforward response to such questions would be less corporate.

The way I see it Shantae is connected to smash otherwise all this happening all at the same time is a coincidence of ridiculous proportions. Further I feel her inclusion has to be a bigger deal than that of Shovel Knight as 1) if they were in the game to equal capacity it would have made the most sense to reveal their AT's one after the other as the Smash community liken the two together as they would represent the same milestone in Smash history (i.e. being the highest representation of an indie character to date in Smash)

And 2) If they are working under restrictions placed by Nintendo, their restrictions are tighter than the ones YCG was under as they have made far more personal responses about questions of SK being in smash prior to his AT reveal and they have included him as a character in multiple fighting games (Rivals of Aether in particular being a mechanical clone of Smash) So, it makes little sense to impose heavier restrictions on Wayforward if Shantae's inclusion is of the same degree/importance as Shovel Knight's is

In the end, anything could be the case. She could be a fighter, she could be an assist with some odd circumstances surrounding her reveal, she could be absent from the game entirely with everything being an amazing coincidence to point to the contrary. But to me, her being a fighter makes the most sense after everything we've witnessed.

I think this time around Sakurai is going to make a genie's wish come true.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Incidentally, continuing off my previous statement and though I think she would be revealed during a Nintendo Direct, I don't believe it'll be this one.

In lieu of the recent disaster, I think it's possible Nintendo will want to reveal a character that's heavily requested in Japan, as a (very) small silver lining. I think they could use a pick me up right about now. So I'm thinking more along the lines of Bandana Dee, a Pokemon or Isabelle. Something to perk them up a little.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Wow! The one night I actually decide to act like a normal human being and go to sleep and I wake up to find I missed out on nearly 10 pages...

Jeeze you guys, You know I have a life that i had to put on hold to read all those pages and get fully caught up XD

Anyway, my 2 cents is that nothing has changed. Her chances are still as they always were, Bozon just retweeted a picture that wasn't Smash related but the original poster just through a smash hastag in the middle of 7 other hashtags.

There are still too many dubious occurrences surrounding our magical lady that are still easiest explained when painted in her favor:

Jammies mode talking about an "Ultimate" party where "Everyone" is invited being programmed before any one on the internet knew those two words and their context would be relevant to Smash

Wayforward being very generous at allowing Shantae to guest in many games (Blaster Master, Mutant Mudds, Indivisible, Runbow) but not including her in any fighting games (be they critically acclaimed like Rivals or promising to be successful like Blade Strangers)

And the tonal change of Wayforward on Social media whenever the subject of Smash arises.

I could understand the Jammies references being a very lucky coincidence, but even that would be a stretch that they decided to script lines about a party inviting everyone without knowing that would be a Smash theme. I could understand not wanting Shantae to be in every indie game under the sun, but when she is highly requested for two very good games like Aether and Blade strangers but she is kept out of both it seems less like just Wayforward being protective. And I could see them not wanting to stir the pot on social media by giving fans false hope, but even then I feel a normal Wayforward response to such questions would be less corporate.

The way I see it Shantae is connected to smash otherwise all this happening all at the same time is a coincidence of ridiculous proportions. Further I feel her inclusion has to be a bigger deal than that of Shovel Knight as 1) if they were in the game to equal capacity it would have made the most sense to reveal their AT's one after the other as the Smash community liken the two together as they would represent the same milestone in Smash history (i.e. being the highest representation of an indie character to date in Smash)

And 2) If they are working under restrictions placed by Nintendo, their restrictions are tighter than the ones YCG was under as they have made far more personal responses about questions of SK being in smash prior to his AT reveal and they have included him as a character in multiple fighting games (Rivals of Aether in particular being a mechanical clone of Smash) So, it makes little sense to impose heavier restrictions on Wayforward if Shantae's inclusion is of the same degree/importance as Shovel Knight's is

In the end, anything could be the case. She could be a fighter, she could be an assist with some odd circumstances surrounding her reveal, she could be absent from the game entirely with everything being an amazing coincidence to point to the contrary. But to me, her being a fighter makes the most sense after everything we've witnessed.

I think this time around Sakurai is going to make a genie's wish come true.
Don't talk about that! We don't want too many more arguments to spring up!

Last edited:

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Incidentally, continuing off my previous statement and though I think she would be revealed during a Nintendo Direct, I don't believe it'll be this one.

In lieu of the recent disaster, I think it's possible Nintendo will want to reveal a character that's heavily requested in Japan, as a (very) small silver lining. I think they could use a pick me up right about now. So I'm thinking more along the lines of Bandana Dee, a Pokemon or Isabelle. Something to perk them up a little.
I doubt that. I really don't think they'll completely change the lineup just for this occasion. And you have to consider, are any of those other characters even done? Are their intro trailers finished, rendered, and edited? They could have released a quickly edited direct with the sensitive game cut out and that would have picked their spirits up as well. (During the Hurricane in south-eastern US that hit a year or so ago, new gaming info was all I really had to keep me entertained/distracted).

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I doubt that. I really don't think they'll completely change the lineup just for this occasion. And you have to consider, are any of those other characters even done? Are their intro trailers finished, rendered, and edited?
Why not?

The entire Pokemon anime has been completely re-written and plot threads wholly derailed in lieu of disasters before. There's at least a precedent for this.

As well, we've already gotten a lot of Western representation already, whether by character origin or character popularity (Ridley, Simon's design, Dark Samus, King K. Rool, Shovel Knight) so it may have been time to cater to the home crowd right around now anyways.

If she's on the roster, nothing changes by her being revealed later.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Sorry, I was only trying to put people's minds at ease as the one thing that most easily explains everything would be Shantae being included in the game to a degree higher than SK, and the only grade higher than assist trophy is fighter (maybe boss but I don;t think anyone is expecting her to be that)

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Me too. I'll go do that asap
Make sure you resize the gif; it wont fit as it is. Make sure the height is less than 400px (though I think you should go smaller)
https://ezgif.com/resize

The entire Pokemon anime has been completely re-written and plot threads wholly derailed in lieu of disasters before. There's at least a precedent for this.

By the same token, we've already gotten a lot of Western representation already, whether by character origin or character popularity (Ridley, Simon's design, Dark Samus, King K. Rool, Shovel Knight) so it may have been time to cater to the home crowd right around now anyways.

If she's on the roster, nothing changes by her being revealed later.
My point is not the precedent, it's the time. Do they have time to completely switch out a character? Is said character even ready to be shown? Intro trailer done? Gameplay filmed?

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
loz18 is a troll and Vergeben is a fraud who got "lucky" predicting the two most likely candidates for Smash Bros. I am so sick of him and people venerating him like he's the guru of the Smash community. I just hope Isabelle is her own character and the Pokemon newcomer is Lycanroc just so he can go away for good.

I can't wait till Wednesday.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
My point is not the precedent, it's the time. Do they have time to completely switch out a character? Is said character even ready to be shown? Intro trailer done? Gameplay filmed?
Well, we're really close to release. Why shouldn't it be done?

And anyways, we didn't even get a Smash update on the site. That could imply that they are scrambling around, getting a different character instead.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Sorry, I was only trying to put people's minds at ease as the one thing that most easily explains everything would be Shantae being included in the game to a degree higher than SK, and the only grade higher than assist trophy is fighter (maybe boss but I don;t think anyone is expecting her to be that)
It's fine, the whole thing was mainly restating evidence rather than anything that would spark controversy. Honestly, a bit of discussion like that is welcome, as long as it does not become as overblown as it was. It helps remind people of evidence or reinvigorate there cause and such. It's also why something called the Devil's Advocate exists.

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
Where do you guys think Shantae would get revealed (if she were to be revealed), in a Nintendo Direct or in a Smash Direct?
I feel like Shantae is a character they could reveal randomly at any time throughout the next few months and it would make sense. Although it would be nice to see her or Geno(my other top pick) in this upcoming Nintendo direct, I feel like it would be best if she were revealed at the very beginning of a more focused smash direct where Sakurai had time to actually talk about her and his reasons for including her. Anything to soften the inevitable backlash of fervent Shantae haters that would occur if all we got was a trailer to end the direct.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, we're really close to release. Why shouldn't it be done?

And anyways, we didn't even get a Smash update on the site. That could imply that they are scrambling around, getting a different character instead.
The problem is there has already been a Famitsu article on the whole thing, so unless they trust that company to keep there mouth shut about a character for possibly over a month, they are not changing who they show. Plus, a lot of time and effort goes into this stuff, you can't change plans that big on the fly.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This is more of a easter egg, but if you do talk to mimic at a certain point on your adventure. He will give out a talk about 4 certain people on them completing their adventure.

One completes the adventure slow while accomplishing everything.

One that accomplishing everything in a hurry.

One that rushes through focusing on the time only.

One that finishes their quest steady with the focus on the goal only.

Can you guess the 4 characters Mimic was referring to?
Err...

Samus being played by a completionist
Samus being played by someone playing the game for the first time
Samus being played by someone who wants to see the Zero Suit
and Samus being played by somone who's come back to it after a while.

I may have missed the mark.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm gone for 1 hour and there's 2 pages already.
I don't think it's realistic to fully keep up at this point lol.

I'm glad the thread is gaining though. Glad to have you all with us on this trek.
And what a trek. Thankfully we know the direct is still going to be soon, if nintendo doesn't outright remove the direct, which they wouldn't do. :)

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I'm fairly confident they'll want to release it by Tuesday at the latest before the next issue of Famitsu comes out on Wednesday.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Shantae Consider.gif
Rottytops
rotty3.gif

She sways back and forth and hypnotizes you! also that was a fun stream, really really enjoying half-genie hero. got my harpy power up now.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
The problem is there has already been a Famitsu article on the whole thing, so unless they trust that company to keep there mouth shut about a character for possibly over a month, they are not changing who they show. Plus, a lot of time and effort goes into this stuff, you can't change plans that big on the fly.
Hmm... Good point.~

Occhams Razor
Regardless, I don't think she was going to be shown this time anyways.

As I've said before, it could have been time to show someone popular in Japan instead after all the Western love. They have to be at least somewhat cognizant of the homeland.

Now watch it be someone like Skull Kid or something instead and completely collapse my entire house of cards. =P (Unless he's more popular in Japan than I'm thinking.)

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
That and the Spider transformation are my favorite. Really hope they make it into her moveset.
The Spider one tripped me out lol, but it is a very interesting way to move about.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
There's a topic, what's your favorite form in any game?

I'd say Harpy, with points docked for that Flappy Bird segment in the final level of Half Genie Hero

Top Bottom