• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Since we won't see any new Shantae games any time soon, I have to ask you all this:

Do you think we'll actually see any cameos from her series this time, in River City Girls 2?
Advance Wars 1+2 is the game more likely to get Shantae references one way or the other if you ask me. RCG2 is probably going to have even more Double Dragon stuff with Marian playable, it is to Kunio-Kun what Final Fight is to Street Fighter.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Advance Wars 1+2 is the game more likely to get Shantae references one way or the other if you ask me. RCG2 is probably going to have even more Double Dragon stuff with Marian playable, it is to Kunio-Kun what Final Fight is to Street Fighter.
You know, I wouldn't mind having her be an exclusive bonus CO...🤔

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You know, I wouldn't mind having her be an exclusive bonus CO...🤔

This guy was practically made for that franchise, you know...

The rest of the cast would probaby just be referenced via alternate palettes for the existing COs. Sami could look good with Shantae colors (did you know long hair is listed as one of her likes?), and I can't be the only one who's curious on how Lash could pull a certain zombie look...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Gotta say, I love how this thread keeps on going no matter what.

But we'll be at the mercy of the Smash mods so if I miss the close point, it's been fun speculating and hoping for Shantae with all y'all.

Dukefire

Smash Master
We got another title when they are ready. However, I just wonder where is Shantae future going.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Gotta say, I love how this thread keeps on going no matter what.

But we'll be at the mercy of the Smash mods so if I miss the close point, it's been fun speculating and hoping for Shantae with all y'all.
Wait.
They're gonna close this thread down?
Why? o_O

Dukefire

Smash Master
The final challenger is no other then the Keyblade wielder himself. Sora

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Huh, so the last character is a good character, bringing a new series into Smash and with a big fan following.
I take it.
Certainly makes up for the Byleth situation. ;)

Dukefire

Smash Master
I was surprised and somewhat hyped with some knowledge of his game series. Well, spin offs games. Still, it will leave a lasting impression for all of us for a long while.........until the next game.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I was never a big Kingdom Hearts guy but I certainly never disliked the idea of it coming to smash, and this trailer and gameplay breakdown fully has me on board. Though it’s definitely funny to see everything Disney be scrubbed out of KH as possible except the Mickey keychain and still see how immediately recognizable it is. ...Though I do have to wonder why Sakurai was so adamant about not showing off the final smash so we could discover it ourselves, only to show it off both in gameplay and in the trailer. Anyway, welcome to Smash Sora, and Shantae, you’re in good standing for next time!

With Smash Ultimate officially done, I think we can agree it’s been a crazy ride. Shantae got in as a spirit, a Mii fighter alongside other huge requested characters, and a song track. If the next smash game does indeed have a new director, I kind of hope they just iterate on Ultimate since this has been the most successful smash game ever. Don’t have to shake up the engine or the gameplay, just keep adding to the library of gaming giants (and bump up a few Mii costumes to playable status of course!)

It’s been a pleasure folks! Hope to keep seeing you around here!

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Well, since it seems that this thread will be closed down soon...
(For whatever silly reason.)

I wanted to share this post one last time.
Seriously, we have multiple options for Shantae, beyond official Smash.
Use them! Get active! ;)

It's been a long while.
I know about Shantae's MII Costume and I was really ecstatic about it. :D
Let's hope this will mean good things for her in a future Smash Game.

But I wondered... Why have only Sakurai be in charge of our hopes and dreams?
Why not also take matters into our own hands?
So I let the MII Costume reveal inspire me and I made this...
BIG IMAGE ALERT!
DeviantArt-Link: Click

So even if Shantae for Smash sleeps for now... Why let it end there?
Why not try and have "Shantae for Smash Remix" in the meantime.
Other avenues are also still open.
Like Mugen and other unofficial, but great things, where Shantae could appear in, having a nice alternative to just "Shantae for Smash". : 3

So yeah, I wanted to let this drop and give Shantae my final bow, to her MII Costume inclusion in Smash.
And with that, I leave you with the Final Scene of Star Trek TNG. :)

Dukefire

Smash Master
Wait, are all the character support threads really being closed?
I think so. With ultimate being complete, other character speculation are pointless now. It may start again once another Nintendo console is announced. However, a lot of us has moved on in life during the calm.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I never thought he was possible, but I am very happy he got in. He wasn't in my top 5, but i am excited to play him

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So with Sora being confirmed to the be highest requested fighter from the balllot (Bayonetta was the realizable highest requested, explaining her in Smash 4) this means all that fan ballot data we have where Shantae came up pretty damn high in basically all of them points to her chances for next game. Since alot of them had Sora correctly at the top

Dukefire

Smash Master
We will see once the next smash game is announced. For now, enjoy the current content with Shantae as a Mii Costume. Not the best, but certainly not the worst.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So with Sora being confirmed to the be highest requested fighter from the balllot (Bayonetta was the realizable highest requested, explaining her in Smash 4) this means all that fan ballot data we have where Shantae came up pretty damn high in basically all of them points to her chances for next game. Since alot of them had Sora correctly at the top
Pretty sure The reason she got a spirit and a COstume with music was because of her high ranking in the ballot. I am certain she will be in the next game.

At least we can use her Mii costume here

Dukefire

Smash Master
When I think about use the Mii Brawler, I either choose my mii or Shantae. Which also causes the Burning Town Forever to play in my head to remember that the wish isn't dead even if Ultimate is over.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Goodbye, everybody. We'll likely see each other in the next iteration.
As for what I think will happen? A majority of the 3rd parties will be going away, unless they can negotiate with whoever would do Smash 6.
I feel CLoud and Sephiroth may stay. Really the ones I feel who may not are Sora, Banjo, Steve, and Joker And Maybe Hero

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
As for what I think will happen? A majority of the 3rd parties will be going away, unless they can negotiate with whoever would do Smash 6.
I don't believe it will be the majority but the ones that are inconvenient. The only time we had historically ever lost a third party was due to legal issues.

zferolie

Smash Hero
BTW, has anyone seen or have videos of some japanese reactions?

I don't believe it will be the majority but the ones that are inconvenient. The only time we had historically ever lost a third party was due to legal issues.
Yeah Snake was... Konami lol

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't know about a majority:

-Sonic and Bayonetta seem as close to locks as you can get when it comes to third party characters (not as sure about Joker - he seems like a pick that was personal for Sakurai, so if a new director takes over, they might not push as hard for his inclusion)
-I can see no reason why Capcom would turn down the opportunity to include any of their characters, or why a new director would exclude them
-if Namco-Bandai's working on the game again, then Pac-Man seems like a lock, at least (and Kazuya's chances seem pretty good as well)
-SNK seems really eager to have Terry in Smash, if the 50 songs and dozens of stage cameos are any indication

Konami seems like a wildcard (bare minimum, I could see Simon returning - not as sure about Snake or Richter), and I doubt that we'll get Microsoft, Square-Enix, or Disney back (it seemed like we were extremely lucky to get all three of them in this game), but :ultbayonetta::ultkazuya::ultpacman::ultmegaman::ultryu::ultken::ultsonic::ultsimon::ult_terry: is at least half. (if Joker, Snake, and/or Richter returns, then that's more than half)

zferolie

Smash Hero

-Sonic and Bayonetta seem as close to locks as you can get when it comes to third party characters (not as sure about Joker - he seems like a pick that was personal for Sakurai, so if a new director takes over, they might not push as hard for his inclusion)
-I can see no reason why Capcom would turn down the opportunity to include any of their characters, or why a new director would exclude them
-if Namco-Bandai's working on the game again, then Pac-Man seems like a lock, at least (and Kazuya's chances seem pretty good as well)
-SNK seems really eager to have Terry in Smash, if the 50 songs and dozens of stage cameos are any indication

Konami seems like a wildcard (bare minimum, I could see Simon returning - not as sure about Snake or Richter), and I doubt that we'll get Microsoft, Square-Enix, or Disney back (it seemed like we were extremely lucky to get all three of them in this game), but :ultbayonetta::ultkazuya::ultpacman::ultmegaman::ultryu::ultken::ultsonic::ultsimon::ult_terry: is at least half. (if Joker, Snake, and/or Richter returns, then that's more than half)
I do agree with those, though it seems SE and Nintendo are getting closer and closer. However I think Hero for sure won't return, as just look at the bare minimum we got already and how stingy the owner of the music rights are. I think Hero and Sora have little chance of returning unless a miracle happens.

for konami... Snake is the least likely to return. I don't know why Simon without richter though.... plus thery aren't tied to Kojima which seems to be a sour spot for them.

Microsoft yeah... as much as it pains me, no banjo or steve next game unless Microsoft keeps being very buddy buddy,.

Hell... all these guys had to be buddy buddy already to get them all in. Honestly the main thing holding anyone back is what will be nintendo's budget for bringing them back and if these companies want more money. If disney sees how much Sora made for them in smash(I assume they got a pretty large fee and some DLC sales) they may be willing for him to return but ask for more

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
SORA!!!!!! Woooooooo!!!! He made it! Perfectly with ending Super Smash Bros. Ultimate! No Monika and other most wanted characters though. Oh well. Next time.

Anyway here are my last reactions/thoughts about this;
I completely lost my mind as soon the Keyblade appeared from the flames that Mario of course is capable with those type of powers then everything else was truly amazing. We all knew this day will come. We all knew it’s too good to be true to be 50/50 chance of grain of salt but as soon as the Keyblade unlocks the final DLC fighter, this is where everything ends. I am completely amazed because I do hope for him ever since but not as a top character I need as I want Shantae but we already got her which I’m still super happy. I did had a chance experiencing Kingdom Hearts. Not the whole gameplay of every games but I did with Kingdom Hearts 3 and I think it’s the most amazing game ever. All I can say is, this is all truly worth it. Truly worth ending Smash Ultimate with him. Welcome to Super Smash Bros., Sora. You’re the last key to end it all. Goodbye Masahiro Sakurai. Thank you so much for everything you have giving us for 3 years. It has been a very long run full of hype, hopes and keys to unlock more fighters until the bitter end. Enjoy your long vacation or good luck try to find something new to develop any video games and hope we’ll see you in Smash 6.

Attachments

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

Honestly, I think even that take is pessimistic.

I can easily see Banjo-Kazooie returning, considering how eager Microsoft was to have them in Smash.
And I don't think Steve won't return either.

Also, why can't Snake or Richter return?
If Konami never wanted these characters in Smash, they wouldn't have made it in Ultimate either.
Plus, since Konami has driven their video game series into the ground and lost a lot of value as a result, the licensing of those games shouldn't be expensive.

The only two studios I can see withdrawing their support, are Square Enix and Disney.
Square actually has a history of being hard to work with.
Cloud almost didn't make it back into Smash Ultimate as a result.
And Square demands ridiculously high licensing fee's, which is why we only had two FF7-Songs at first.
So if any cuts happen, I can see it happening to Square properties first

Disney... Well it's Disney, what else needs to be said?
But considering even they were openly supportive of Sora in Smash, I am a bit more optimistic about their Smash-Support, than Square's.

But ultimately, it feels like we're moving the goalposts once more.
Declaring things impossible, even though Smash has already proven that it is possible.

I mean for how long have we declared Sora being impossible for Smash, due to his licensing situation?
And were genuinely convinced he will never make it in?
Well, that didn't age well now did it?

And now we're being pessimistic about Smash again, when it comes to the cast in the next game.
And a lot of it doesn't even make any sense.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Honestly, I think even that take is pessimistic.

I can easily see Banjo-Kazooie returning, considering how eager Microsoft was to have them in Smash.
And I don't think Steve won't return either.

Also, why can't Snake or Richter return?
If Konami never wanted these characters in Smash, they wouldn't have made it in Ultimate either.
Plus, since Konami has driven their video game series into the ground and lost a lot of value as a result, the licensing of those games shouldn't be expensive.

The only two studios I can see withdrawing their support, are Square Enix and Disney.
Square actually has a history of being hard to work with.
Cloud almost didn't make it back into Smash Ultimate as a result.
And Square demands ridiculously high licensing fee's, which is why we only had two FF7-Songs at first.
So if any cuts happen, I can see it happening to Square properties first

Disney... Well it's Disney, what else needs to be said?
But considering even they were openly supportive of Sora in Smash, I am a bit more optimistic about their Smash-Support, than Square's.

But ultimately, it feels like we're moving the goalposts once more.
Declaring things impossible, even though Smash has already proven that it is possible.

I mean for how long have we declared Sora being impossible for Smash, due to his licensing situation?
And were genuinely convinced he will never make it in?
Well, that didn't age well now did it?

And now we're being pessimistic about Smash again, when it comes to the cast in the next game.
And a lot of it doesn't even make any sense.
Yeah, that's true. I guess I wasn't sure about Snake given the whole awkwardness with Kojima (you'd think that, if people at Konami saw the reaction to the reveal that Snake was coming back, that would make them more likely to bring him back in future games, but this is the same company that made Metal Gear Survive and tried backing out of the gaming industry to focus exclusively on pachinko machines), but he could still make it.

For Richter, him being an echo fighter makes it seem pretty likely that he could return, given how little work they take; I just wasn't sure if he'd be seen as a priority compared to Simon, who's pretty heavily affiliated with Nintendo.

For Banjo and Steve, getting Microsoft content in Smash kind of felt like a miracle, and if the next Smash game winds up getting a different director, I'm not sure if they'd be able to pull it off. Then again, you're right in that Microsoft does seem enthusiastic about it, so maybe it could still happen.

I guess I don't want to get my hopes up that characters like Snake (one of my favourite characters to play as) and Banjo-Kazooie (a character I've wanted ever since the original Smash Bros.) could return, only for them to be unceremoniously cut next time.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's true. I guess I wasn't sure about Snake given the whole awkwardness with Kojima (you'd think that, if people at Konami saw the reaction to the reveal that Snake was coming back, that would make them more likely to bring him back in future games, but this is the same company that made Metal Gear Survive and tried backing out of the gaming industry to focus exclusively on pachinko machines), but he could still make it.

For Richter, him being an echo fighter makes it seem pretty likely that he could return, given how little work they take; I just wasn't sure if he'd be seen as a priority compared to Simon, who's pretty heavily affiliated with Nintendo.

For Banjo and Steve, getting Microsoft content in Smash kind of felt like a miracle, and if the next Smash game winds up getting a different director, I'm not sure if they'd be able to pull it off. Then again, you're right in that Microsoft does seem enthusiastic about it, so maybe it could still happen.

I guess I don't want to get my hopes up that characters like Snake (one of my favourite characters to play as) and Banjo-Kazooie (a character I've wanted ever since the original Smash Bros.) could return, only for them to be unceremoniously cut next time.
To be fair, we don't know what will happen with the next game.
And characters could be cut for any reason in the end. It's always a possibility at this point.

But the only logical reason I can see for most of these characters to get full on cut, is because Smash no longer has the budget to cover the licencing costs.
Though since Smash could consistently get more and more third parties into the series since Brawl, I don't think it has that issue.

Or IF a new director takes over in the next game (Why are we convinced this will happen?) and he is not willing to go through the same lengths as Sakurai did.
That I can also see being a reason for cuts.

But if Sakurai stays at the helm for the next game too.
I don't see any logical reason, why the vast majority of these characters couldn't make it back into the next game.
If not in the base game, then as DLC, if the partners really want all the money from it.

Like I said, only Square and Disney have any notoriety in that regard, that could make returns for their series difficult.
Konami... It's true that Snake didn't return in Smash 4.
But ever since then, we not only got Snake back in Ultimate, but even got Castlevania added to Smash as well.
Not to mention the Goemon costume.
So things are looking up for Konami series, considering what we got in Ultimate.

And for all other third-parties, we got nothing but support from them.

So yeah, I can see why you don't want to get your hopes up, just in case something you love gets cut from the next game.
Since there are never any guarantees...

But from a pure logical perspective, I don't think there is much reason to worry, considering the overall track record of Smash and all those involved in it.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I can say that some of the veterans from brawl and melee may be cut like Pichu, Wolf, and Dr. Mario. Unless Nintendo and the new smash director manages to keep all the characters while adding new surprises. Even then, it is a big hassle to gather all fighters back again for another round due to licensing issues.

Top Bottom