• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Looks like the collector's edition are finally done. BTW, off topic for a bit. Since all 3 BMZ titles will be getting voice acting later on when the trilogy is finished, Cristina Vee maybe be the English VA for Kanna. The pilot of Nora MA-06 Eir.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, it turns out my contact brought in a limited edition GBC Shantae anyway, so I got two copies now.

Ah well, I guess I can sell the standard one for store credit, heh...

Welp, mine came in the mail today.View attachment 324456
Hey, we've got the same card! Also, I got a Club 'O Fun foldout issue.

Looks like the collector's edition are finally done. BTW, off topic for a bit. Since all 3 BMZ titles will be getting voice acting later on when the trilogy is finished, Cristina Vee maybe be the English VA for Kanna. The pilot of Nora MA-06 Eir.
You know, I've been wondering something.

Since you show so much interest in Blaster Master Zero, will you be pushing a fan movement for Jason to get into the next Smash (preferably accompanying Shantae)?

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
It's been a long while.
I know about Shantae's MII Costume and I was really ecstatic about it. :D
Let's hope this will mean good things for her in a future Smash Game.

But I wondered... Why have only Sakurai be in charge of our hopes and dreams?
Why not also take matters into our own hands?
So I let the MII Costume reveal inspire me and I made this...
BIG IMAGE ALERT!
DeviantArt-Link: Click

So even if Shantae for Smash sleeps for now... Why let it end there?
Why not try and have "Shantae for Smash Remix" in the meantime.
Other avenues are also still open.
Like Mugen and other unofficial, but great things, where Shantae could appear in, having a nice alternative to just "Shantae for Smash". : 3

So yeah, I wanted to let this drop and give Shantae my final bow, to her MII Costume inclusion in Smash.
And with that, I leave you with the Final Scene of Star Trek TNG. :)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, that's the spirit. Even if there's no ballot or whatever, the ongoing fan demand has to come from somewhere.

Besides, who's to say the third party companies themselves have given up on wanting their mascots in there? They'll continue maintaining their series while waiting for the next Smash chance. Just look at Yacht Club in particular, they earnestly want to turn Shovel Knight into their own personal franchise, so it's not like they're about to go into hibernation or anything like that.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Honestly, it is the people themselves to assume things that could go wrong. They have no one else but themselves to blame and beat up if they end up in that situation.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Anyone have any suggestions, in what places I should share my Concept Drawings?
I'd really love it for Shantae to make it into Smash Remix.
It'd be a nice alternative. ^^;

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman

Artbooks incoming! I already got word from Amazon mine’s en route!

Also I’ve been absent from the thread due to work going into overdrive with back-to-school Covid woes, so the promise of soloing WOL will not be broken! Just delayed 😅

Dukefire

Smash Master
Ok, looks like no more delays. Yay.

Still, how is everyone after Shantae's Mii costume?

For me, at least her fate was clear before the end. Sure it wasn't the results we were looking for, but another chance for another game in the future. For now, glad to see her join the ranks.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

For me, at least her fate was clear before the end. Sure it wasn't the results we were looking for, but another chance for another game in the future. For now, glad to see her join the ranks.
I can live with that, as I've established. Besides being a way to show interest, at least we know that every character in the supposed suggestion leak list that's not playable might get something as minor as that as compensation (or absolutely nothing like Yuri and Flynn, RIP).

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I can live with that, as I've established. Besides being a way to show interest, at least we know that every character in the supposed suggestion leak list that's not playable might get something as minor as that as compensation (or absolutely nothing like Yuri and Flynn, RIP).
Aye. I'm personally glad that Sakurai did treat our suggestion seriously, to the point he got a CharaGumin figurine of her for the Mii Costume.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman

I’m actually great. Again, obviously the best way would be to have her playable, but let’s face it - theres only 12 DLC characters. Mii Costumes aren’t the “Haha your character doesn’t DESERVE to be in Smash!” that so many people online try to paint it as, it’s “well, there’s only so many characters, so to those that just missed the cut at least we have this!”
Plus, having her alongside Dante and Lloyd, two longtime fan requests, and the Dragonborn, from one of the best selling games of all time, not to mention Sakurai stating these were some highly requested characters, makes me think she’s in good standing for a potential next game (K Rool, Chrom, Isabelle, Inklings, you were all DLC Miis before this!). Especially if Sakurai really decides this is his swan song smash and they might just build upon this game’s framework going forward, given the enormous success of Ultimate and the fact it was heavily built off of 4.

My only DLC hopes now are that the last character is someone completely unexpected. Everyone that’s saying it’s Crash or Chief or Ryu Hayabusa has been saying it’s gonna them since challenger pack 2. My craziest hope is that it’s the Space Invaders; considering we have Taito spirits but nothing about one of the oldest icons of video games in Smash, it feels like something totally out of left field but also a perfect capstone to such a massive celebration of gaming.

That's interesting, is there a PushDustin post that mentions that?
I don’t think there is, but given her hair swirl on the Mii costume lines up perfectly with the Charagumin figure compared to any other art of shantae, plus Sakurai’s admittance to buying figures to help in 3D modeling, it’s certainly a possibility. Especially for a character that’s otherwise never been in 3D like Shantae.

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, how you all doing so far? It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been around in this Shantae for Smash support thread in Smashboards. I’m just dropping by to say I hope you all doing well and stay supporting for Shantae for Smash 6 (which I really hope it’s possible). I hope Sakurai will work with Smash again without a column which he’ll end after 18 years but he’ll still share some info for more new fighters in Smash 6 in Directs and Presentations for new DLCs I believe. I’m sure Shantae will fully make it in Smash 6. I think the main reason she didn’t fully make it because they ran out of room for more newcomers for Smash Ultimate since it’s already full of nearly 100 fighters like geez, that’s a lot and he definitely needs a break after 5 years of non-stop. I’m sure he’ll save the others for next time if the next time will come. Right now for me, I found some other most wanted characters I really want to make it to Smash. Spirit, mii or actual fighter, I’m now rooting for Monika from Doki Doki Literature Club, Boyfriend from Friday Night Funkin’, Red from Angry Birds series and Paper Mario from Paper Mario series. It may something odd but really interesting pick for me mostly Monika because I have so much interest with that horror visual novel game with plots but in Anime style, it really brought to my attention because I was curious. There was an interview with the creator of DDLC , Dan Salvato with a last following question about Monika’s Final Smash. He says something about Monika will make you suffer of disappointment which it’s a joke but Monika will show big spoilers but hey, Sephiroth. So yeah I hope everyone one of you guys are doing well so far. I honestly stop playing Smash because honestly I couldn’t be bothered and I’m tired of playing online since it’s nothing much to me anymore. I rather wait for the last DLC fighters and new Mii costumes. So yeah, never stop supporting and never lose hope on our character until the very end.

-SebTheGamer

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I may have a look at it later on. I do hope that it can be translated in English if going to other bookstores.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Plus, having her alongside Dante and Lloyd, two longtime fan requests, and the Dragonborn, from one of the best selling games of all time, not to mention Sakurai stating these were some highly requested characters, makes me think she’s in good standing for a potential next game (K Rool, Chrom, Isabelle, Inklings, you were all DLC Miis before this!). Especially if Sakurai really decides this is his swan song smash and they might just build upon this game’s framework going forward, given the enormous success of Ultimate and the fact it was heavily built off of 4.
Interestingly enough, the fact that this last mii pack were all fan demanded characters and not a mix of other miis like promoting anything releasing recently, makes me feel like the CP11 mii pack is about to be the same. There's not much at all currently to promote coming out in these next 2 months other than probably Metroid Dread. So my prediction for the final mii pack is gonna be based on that and whatever left could be getting a mii costume that has been a long requested character.

If I had to give my prediction for the 4 or 5 final miis, it would be…

• Rayman (requested for ages) as a mii brawler.

• Shovel Knight (he is literally the only other really big indie character that has been requested for nearly as long as Shantae did, I would legit be surprised if he doesn't get a mii costume now) as a mii swordsman.

• Either the bad Chozo guy or Samus new outfit from Metroid Dread, as a mii gunner.

• And finally either one or two mii costumes related to whatever the series of the fighter that is being included is about.

My only DLC hopes now are that the last character is someone completely unexpected. Everyone that’s saying it’s Crash or Chief or Ryu Hayabusa has been saying it’s gonna them since challenger pack 2. My craziest hope is that it’s the Space Invaders; considering we have Taito spirits but nothing about one of the oldest icons of video games in Smash, it feels like something totally out of left field but also a perfect capstone to such a massive celebration of gaming.
Yeah I definitely don't expect anything 3rd party myself, specially nothing HUGE 3rd party-wise. I honestly like what you're hoping for, it makes more sense to expect something unexpected like that, rather than people thinking we would end the pass with something HUGE like Master Chief, lol… and here I will leave a huge wall of text to explain why I find the notion of a huge 3rd party as a closer being a ridiculous thing to even think of, imo:

The marketing strategy for Ultimate has been pretty clear by Nintendo so far if we simply know with which angle to look at it.

All the bigger guns were revealed towards the first half of reveals of both base game and pass 1, and it's been no different for pass 2. We could even say no further than midway of the passes, as the extreme late they were revealed. Hero, Banjo, Steve and Sephiroth… none of them were left to be the closers, they didn't follow the silly fan logic of anything having to end on a "big" note. People who expect something huge are stuck in Smash 4 time just because Bayo was the closer there. People ignore this is a different game and DLCL has been handled differently, period.

Even in base game reveals, we ended with a pokemon and an echo, not with something huge like fan demand as Krool or Ridley were, hell they could've ended with Simon and it would've been big too, but alas, they ended with an echo and a pokemon, small notes. Byleth ended pass 1, also a small note too compared to what was included preivously in the pass, specifically during its climax (banjo and hero).

In the case of DLC passes specifically, this is where it's truly important because of the pass format of the DLC, which is the most profitable option for Nintendo to have the players buy, opposite to just buying a few individual characters which obviously means less profit for Nintendo.

To ensure that the pass format sells before people ultimately decide to just buy individual characters they like as they are revealed (if they haven't decided that already since the start), Nintendo showed their biggest guns as early on as possible so that they would feel like "ok i'm gonna go blind and buy the entire pass, because this is promising". This is why big guns have NEVER closers in Ultimate, because there is no benefiting commercial effect in having them happen that late.

The fact that XC2 was included when it did, instead of being left for the end as closer of the 2nd DLC pass, to me it was like the "closest" to a confirmation of the fact that that they don't have anything huge left 3rd party wise to ensure more Pass format sales during the climax of the pass, which has already passed. Similar to how, like I said, the big reveals of pass 1 and base game were during the climax of such reveal seasons, never the closers.

It's funny that we find through a dataminer here on Smashboards that Kazuya's data is located before Sephiroth and Pyra's data, which could either mean:

a) He needed to start development early on for Sakurai to figure out how to make Tekken make sense in Smash (which was the reason why he said Heihachi wasn't getting in way back during Smash 4)…

OR

b). Maybe Kazuya was actually meant to happen sooner but couldn't because of the struggle to make him work? It was already weird that Heihachi's mii happened earlier than Kazuya, separate from his pack even.

Of course this is speculation, but it IS official data placement, which makes it worth at least wondering about it… even if we will never know the real reason behind it.

In any case…

Because of how Nintendo has marketed andput the big guns during these 2 passes, I doubt entirely that the closer will be once again any 3rd party high note. This is a business to Nintendo after all, it doesn't matter if it's the end of the DLC for Smash Ultimate, that doesn't change anything, it's just a fans delusion that it should mean anything at all. Nintendo WANTS that profit the most they can, while they can. It all makes sense when you look at it from a business perspective.

Which is why this simply leads me to think that we will just get an unexpected first party character instead, which would fall in line with the fact that we got 1st parties for both base game and Pass 1 closers as it is… .

I'm personally honestly more interested to see what the last mii costumes are gonna be at this point, lol. I don't want to get hopes for my 1st party pipe dream now because all I get from the community is laughs at it anyway…

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nazyrus Nazyrus In regards to the characters that were in the supposed suggestion list leak, I could see Lara Croft get a :ultbrawler: outfit at the very least, since her anniversary year hasn't ended, and she's Square-Enix property. Maybe a :ultswordfighter: outfit for Ryu Hayabusa, seeing as Koei-Tecmo went the "still waiting/no comment" route recently. If Capcom completely fails to have gotten a new unique character somehow, Phoenix can work as a :ultbrawler: outfit as well.

In any case, I'm still open to any outcome, so I can't even try to predict what's going to happen. Just wish to know if the Direct or Game Awards will be when it closes up shop for the next 10+ years.

Dukefire

Smash Master
With Kraid's return in Dread, I just wonder if Ridley is out of the game for this one. Since his untimely demise after what the X-Parasites did to his remains in Fusion.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

Well, let's not forget about Smash-alternatives.
Namely the things I mentioned in this post:
It's been a long while.
I know about Shantae's MII Costume and I was really ecstatic about it. :D
Let's hope this will mean good things for her in a future Smash Game.

But I wondered... Why have only Sakurai be in charge of our hopes and dreams?
Why not also take matters into our own hands?
So I let the MII Costume reveal inspire me and I made this...
BIG IMAGE ALERT!
DeviantArt-Link: Click

So even if Shantae for Smash sleeps for now... Why let it end there?
Why not try and have "Shantae for Smash Remix" in the meantime.
Other avenues are also still open.
Like Mugen and other unofficial, but great things, where Shantae could appear in, having a nice alternative to just "Shantae for Smash". : 3

So yeah, I wanted to let this drop and give Shantae my final bow, to her MII Costume inclusion in Smash.
And with that, I leave you with the Final Scene of Star Trek TNG. :)

Maybe there are even more options I haven't considered.
So let Smash be the beginning, not the end. ;)

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
So everyone is getting the Udon art book left and right, why is mine not slated to arrive until November?

Does the mailing system hate my guts or something?

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
So everyone is getting the Udon art book left and right, why is mine not slated to arrive until November?

Does the mailing system hate my guts or something?
I had gotten mine, though unfortunately it got dinged up in transit. The pages are still good, however, but it still stinks it got dinged up, because UPS is cheap on packaging it so that it won't get damaged. The top was covered, but not the sides nor the bottom.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well, I think tomorrows direct has a good chance of revealing the last Smash character. A reveal now and them a release in 1 to 2 months would line up very nicely with past releases. If they wait much longer then there would be a very large gap between the last character and this one.

As for who it could be, I don't really have a horse in this race anymore so I haven't been paying much attention to who everyone is speculating right now, but if I had to guess... My money goes to the protagonist of the new Shin Megami Tensei game. Based on past characters Sakurai has gone with, they just seem to fit well.

Top Bottom