• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I never actually played through a game in Santae's series, think I downloaded the original on the 3DS but never got around to play in it. Maybe I should try to do that at some point lol
They're very fun and quirky with interesting characters. Good for a nice rainy day.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I never actually played through a game in Santae's series, think I downloaded the original on the 3DS but never got around to play in it. Maybe I should try to do that at some point lol
get one of the others, they are also good and bettter than the original.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Went ahead and downloaded 1/2 Genie hero today, amusing game so far.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I never beat it, so I just bought the ultimate edition for the Switch today so I can play everything after I get done with this semester.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Alright I'm mad. Why the heck does the dark souls guy get more then Shantae?
In my opinion, it’s because of the whole “It’s on switch” hype.

This could also apply to Crash or an Undertale rep (Switch versions were announced during THE SAME direct as Smash for Sky’s sake!) yet some people claim they’re more likely despite the roster most likely already finalized.

Morbi

Scavenger
Alright I'm mad. Why the heck does the dark souls guy get more then Shantae?
I was going to guess it was because Dark Souls, as a series, is massive; however, Dragonborn was placed twice as low. So... I have no idea. Other than that odd discrepancy, the top thirty seems about right.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Even though they are what they are, very likely fake, I still like seeing that most leaks, even if they dont say she's in point towards her being a possibility.

that even if they ARE fake, and most are of course, that still means the fake leakers probably WANT her.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Just went back to Wayforward's Twitter feed today.

She still has supporters asking (or in one person's case said, and I quote "I want Smash") Wayforward if she can appear yet they haven't A. Replied to any of the tweets and B. Haven't Liked any Smash posts either.

No idea what the silence could mean but it's still odd to see nothing from Wayforward.

Also, was playing Pirate's Curse last week trying to find some collectables when for some reason, the chain to Propeller Town broke and I got stuck in free fall. Image attached for convenience, though it barely explains anything.
IMG_1274.jpg
I don't even know how this managed to happen.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Just went back to Wayforward's Twitter feed today.

She still has supporters asking (or in one person's case said, and I quote "I want Smash") Wayforward if she can appear yet they haven't A. Replied to any of the tweets and B. Haven't Liked any Smash posts either.

No idea what the silence could mean but it's still odd to see nothing from Wayforward.

Also, was playing Pirate's Curse last week trying to find some collectables when for some reason, the chain to Propeller Town broke and I got stuck in free fall. Image attached for convenience, though it barely explains anything.
View attachment 140740
I don't even know how this managed to happen.
It's hard to put much stake in that. If they were involved with Smash for Switch in some way they wouldn't be able to talk about it anyway but it's also just potentially they are choosing not to comment on it for others reasons.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Their silence is odd.
There could be legit reasons beyond an NDA.

Maybe without a ballot they don't wanna push it?

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Keep in mind Sakurai actually visited Wayforward the day before the Smash Ballot ended to play an early build of HGH. Not many people hold any stake in that, but I think it means something especially since Wayforward and Yacht Club Games are located 10 miles apart from each other. He could have visited the two most promising indie characters' homes on the same day. Now according to SourceGaming the period of development for Smash Switch didn't start until May 2016, or about 7 months later, but I think giving that the Smash Ballot was already a thing by the time of his visit and it was right near the end of the polling period it is possible he flew to Valencia, California to scout the two big Western names that ranked high on the Smash ballot.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Keep in mind Sakurai actually visited Wayforward the day before the Smash Ballot ended to play an early build of HGH. Not many people hold any stake in that, but I think it means something especially since Wayforward and Yacht Club Games are located 10 miles apart from each other. He could have visited the two most promising indie characters' homes on the same day. Now according to SourceGaming the period of development for Smash Switch didn't start until May 2016, or about 7 months later, but I think giving that the Smash Ballot was already a thing by the time of his visit and it was right near the end of the polling period it is possible he flew to Valencia, California to scout the two big Western names that ranked high on the Smash ballot.
Hmm... I did not know that.

Didn’t Pirate’s Curse also release in Japan before the ballot ended?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
It actually released November 19, 2015. So Japan might not have played as much of a factor into it.
It may not have helped during the ballot, but post ballot the localization (more than likely) helped spread awareness of the series.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Their silence is odd.
There could be legit reasons beyond an NDA.

Maybe without a ballot they don't wanna push it?
but not liking the tweets to show they agree seems really odd. I could agree if thy were simply not tweeting but not liking others tweets seens abit suspect more.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I just wish we knew why the hell he went there in the first place, why Sakurai?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
hey does anyone have source on that info, Im in a discussion with someone and they asked for it.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
hey does anyone have source on that info, Im in a discussion with someone and they asked for it.
The visit was talked about in a tweet:
I tried finding the thing on Google Maps that told me where Yacht Club Games was located, but I don't see it anymore. The two still are really close though, only about 40 miles or an hour drive away.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I finished my play-through of Shantae 1/2 hero genie. It was an enjoyable little game for something I cleared in 5 and a half hours. I can entirely understand her appeal and moveset possibilities. I wouldn't say I'd support or clamor for her per say but I will say I would not be disappointed if she were to be included.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
I finished my play-through of Shantae 1/2 hero genie. It was an enjoyable little game for something I cleared in 5 and a half hours. I can entirely understand her appeal and moveset possibilities. I wouldn't say I'd support or clamor for her per say but I will say I would not be disappointed if she were to be included.
Have you played pirates curse? It's often thought of as the best shantae game?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Have you played pirates curse? It's often thought of as the best shantae game?
I grabbed 1/2 Genie Hero since Pirate's Curse looked like a sequel based on release order but I wasn't sure.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Essentially it goes: Shantae -> Risky's Revenge -> Pirate's Curse -> 1/2 Genie Hero. That's the continuity. So you've already abandoned it :p

Might as well go ahead and play the best one.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Essentially it goes: Shantae -> Risky's Revenge -> Pirate's Curse -> 1/2 Genie Hero. That's the continuity. So you've already abandoned it :p

Might as well go ahead and play the best one.
Frankly, I was just going off of the release dates that were shown on the switch. Didn't really do any research into the series beyond that.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Frankly, I was just going off of the release dates that were shown on the switch. Didn't really do any research into the series beyond that.
Those are the dates they were released on the Switch itself, not when they debuted. It's not a big deal, though, it's not like there's an overarching storyline.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Those are the dates they were released on the Switch itself, not when they debuted. It's not a big deal, though, it's not like there's an overarching storyline.
Didn't seem like the type of series to do so I figured I was likely safe so just grabbed one of them to try lol

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Yeah the overarching story line isn't too prevalent. The ending of Risky's Revenge does blend into the beginning of Pirate's Curse though.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Im wondering how the ultimate Edition will sell on the phyiscal ide

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Im wondering how the ultimate Edition will sell on the phyiscal ide
That's the only sales metric I've been able to find in Amazon JP.

It's been hovering around the 50th best selling (as in time between purchases).
Highest I saw was 42. And the lowest was 64.

Note that is the Preorder for the title.

I also have the physical version preordered and fully paid for

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Man the wait for Smash news is killing me!!! lol
Anyway so what has been happening so far?

To me I just pre order two other Switch games "Mario Aces" & "Super Smash Bros" could not order it since my card had to be changed...oh well.

I can't wait to see what new stuff we can do while we battle in Smash.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Just dropping in to say I really want Shantae in this game. Despite the fact that I've only played Half Genie Hero, I really enjoyed the character and would be thrilled to see her.

Top Bottom