• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I can say that some of the veterans from brawl and melee may be cut like Pichu, Wolf, and Dr. Mario. Unless Nintendo and the new smash director manages to keep all the characters while adding new surprises. Even then, it is a big hassle to gather all fighters back again for another round due to licensing issues.
Again, why are we so convinced that the next Smash game won't be directed by Sakurai anymore?
Has he confirmed that he will retire from Smash?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, why are we so convinced that the next Smash game won't be directed by Sakurai anymore?
Ok, he hasn't stated that he isn't done with Smash Bros other then retiring from his bi-weekly famitsu posting. I'm just saying that for now, idk if Sakurai will be maintain his position as the captain or just be part of the development team. Anything goes, just that IT IS TOO EARLY to call it.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Ok, he hasn't stated that he isn't done with Smash Bros other then retiring from his bi-weekly famitsu posting. I'm just saying that for now, idk if Sakurai will be maintain his position as the captain or just be part of the development team. Anything goes, just that IT IS TOO EARLY to call it.
Exactly.
Which is why I think it's silly to talk as if it's confirmed already, that Sakurai is done with Smash. :/

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
That's the vibe I get from him ending his weekly Famitsu column, saying things like "this is the last time I'm going to [introduce a moveset]" in the Sora presentation, etc.

Then again, I'm pretty sure Sakurai's said or hinted that he's done with Smash after every Smash game with Brawl (he wasn't even aware that there were plans for a Wii version of Smash when Iwata announced it), and he hasn't stopped yet. (plus, Hideo Kojima said that he was retiring from Metal Gear Solid after seemingly every Metal Gear Solid game, and yet he kept coming back, with the only thing that stopped him was when he was kicked out of Konami)

We'll see how this goes, though hopefully this doesn't turn into a "Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible" kind of thing where he's risking his health every couple of years for our entertainment. (he's already had plenty of health problems during the development of Smash 4 and Ultimate, from what I recall)

Dukefire

Smash Master
Exactly.
Which is why I think it's silly to talk as if it's confirmed already, that Sakurai is done with Smash. :/
Like I said, anything goes. A lot of us knows the obvious, but there is always a chance that something can go in a different direction as time passes by.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
That's the vibe I get from him ending his weekly Famitsu column, saying things like "this is the last time I'm going to [introduce a moveset]" in the Sora presentation, etc.

Then again, I'm pretty sure Sakurai's said or hinted that he's done with Smash after every Smash game with Brawl (he wasn't even aware that there were plans for a Wii version of Smash when Iwata announced it), and he hasn't stopped yet. (plus, Hideo Kojima said that he was retiring from Metal Gear Solid after seemingly every Metal Gear Solid game, and yet he kept coming back, with the only thing that stopped him was when he was kicked out of Konami)

We'll see how this goes, though hopefully this doesn't turn into a "Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible" kind of thing where he's risking his health every couple of years for our entertainment. (he's already had plenty of health problems during the development of Smash 4 and Ultimate, from what I recall)
And it's precisely because of Sakurai saying "This game is the last Smash Game." every time a new Smash Game comes along, that I wouldn't put too much weight on it.

It's all part of Sakurai's mindset. He lives in the present and makes each and every game like it's his last.
it seems that for him the future is always uncertain, something unexpected can always happen, that could make him unable to keep working on Smash.
And that's why he always tells us these things, because he doesn't want to make promises that he cannot keep.

That and it doubles as a nice surprise, that he tries to keep expectations for the future low, only to surprise us again, by giving his A-Game, for as long as he is able.

Like I said, anything goes. A lot of us knows the obvious, but there is always a chance that something can go in a different direction as time passes by.
No disagreement here.
Though me personally, I'd prefer to stay neutral at this point.
People get caught up so easily in their speculation and rumors, that they needlessly psych themselves out.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Well fellas... :ultsora: is here, and Ultimate Newcomer Speculation is coming to a close. So I think I should leave one last season-appropriate piece of fanart for our girl Shantae before we close the book on this chapter in Smash history.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
This thread has given us so many memories, through good times and bad times. We couldn't have made it this far without each other, so that is very much worth something in the long run. So until the sun rises on a world where Shantae is truly playable in Smash, Stay Gold. Bang.

So, are we going to start a general Shantae series thread, or what? :4pacman:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Sheesh, why must you guys always be so dramatic? o_O
This thread won't go anywhere.

No need to give this a funeral treatment. :S

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yeah, with Ultimate's roster complete. There is no more hype fuel to continue character discussion threads.

I will say that Shantae is one of the gems that was made from humble beginnings when only few saw it. I honestly didn't notice the series until Pirate's Curse for the 3DS.

Does she have another shot if another Smash Bros game arises? Probably since she has gotten a lot of people's attention as a spirit and mii costume. Like King K Rool, Inkling, and Tekken, they had costumes back in Smash 4 and eventually reached to higher status next game. We all know that the Everyone is Here may not follow as this was Iwata's last wish for Sakurai.

Here is to Shantae and WayForward for their future to come. With a farewell to Ultimate and the World of Light

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone. Miss me? Well I won’t be around much since the thread is going to shut down. It has been a long long long long ride until now, everything will finally come to an end. I honestly have nothing much else to say since I already spill out everything when it comes to this in other thread and on Instagram and everywhere. All I can at least say is it has been a long journey that we all support for Shantae to be in Smash and regularly support her too to gain more attention and popularity. So far, she made it in Smash as a deluxe mii costume with a bonus track which it’s ok because it does give lot more attention but unfortunately due to the lack of space for other most wanted characters or other unique characters, they couldn’t fit any more so the only best option they can do is adding her in as a deluxe Mii. So anyway I just want to say goodbye to every single one of you. Thank you all for being such wonderful fans and help supporting Shantae so far. She would never make it in without all your helps. I can bet like 50 dollars she’ll make it in fully in the next Smash game but for now, we all need to rest especially Sakurai. Either he can go hit the beach or do other things for his life or work on the next project like continuing Kid Icarus series. Goodbye everyone. We’ll meet again soon if we ever return in this thread for Smash 6.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Not much to say other than see you guys later and you can count on me to be there for whatever board this evolves into for the next Smash.

Shantae was my most wanted since before Ultimate and that's not changing anytime before her inclusion as a full fledged newcomer.

Staarih

Smash Master
Shantae was (and is) probably my no 1 most wanted for Smash, so I just wanna say before the thread closes, that we did well folks! Getting spirits, a Mii costume and a song in Ultimate is an ideal place to grow even more. Shantae Mii is, like, my go-to character at this point. Lets all keep supporting our favorite half-genie hero!

Dukefire

Smash Master
Ultimate may be over, but wishes are eternal. They only die if they are forgotten. We all know that other characters too had the short stick, but Sakurai can only do so much. I'm happy that Sakurai did the impossible and sadly would say that Everyone is Here won't follow in future installments. It's sad that all character discussion threads are closing, but in a way to rest the speculations deep in our minds.

Here is the Half Genie hero having another shot in the future along with other characters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Taking the latest Sak column's revelations regarding :ultsora: into consideration as well as the apparent suggestion list leak, there might once have been a few more characters planned for this at some point before circumstances led to them being set aside for next time. If so, I wouldn't be shocked if they're among the base roster for the next game, whenever that'll be for the next Nintendo console gen.

Until then, I bid this thread farewell, since exciting games will come in the near future. I'll be back to proper Smash talk in 7 years or so from now. Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl will fill that void in the meantime, if Nick aren't too stuffy.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Taking the latest Sak column's revelations regarding :ultsora: into consideration as well as the apparent suggestion list leak, there might once have been a few more characters planned for this at some point before circumstances led to them being set aside for next time. If so, I wouldn't be shocked if they're among the base roster for the next game, whenever that'll be for the next Nintendo console gen.

Until then, I bid this thread farewell, since exciting games will come in the near future. I'll be back to proper Smash talk in 7 years or so from now. Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl will fill that void in the meantime, if Nick aren't too stuffy.
Mind if you DM me that apparent leak? This'll be interesting to bear witness.

As for Fluttershy? I think all Ultimate Newcomer threads will be locked after tonight. And I think there's a general speculation for Smash 6 somewhere else? Well, if such a thing will come (which seems likely).

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
As for Fluttershy? I think all Ultimate Newcomer threads will be locked after tonight. And I think there's a general speculation for Smash 6 somewhere else? Well, if such a thing will come (which seems likely).
Thank you. Will you guys be creating a new Shantae Social Thread or something like that?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Mind if you DM me that apparent leak? This'll be interesting to bear witness.

It's the list that had been discussed to death on this thread: https://www.dexerto.com/smash/sakur...oices-reportedly-leaked-back-in-2019-1487252/

I haven't brought up anything new, sorry. :drshrug:

Last edited:
Top Bottom