• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae Smash Teaser?

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Personally, I'd rather Shantae than Shovel Knight, if only because Shantae actually has been around for infinitely longer than Shovel Knight.

If we're getting anybody from the Ballot, I'm expecting King K.Rool, since he's got the bulk of vote support from what I can tell (out of elligible characters, at least. Going by raw votes, Goku, Shrek and the other troll votes probably have more; but they don't really count. :p).

Doubt it means anything; the guy is just clever enough to know that a cryptic, meaningless hint like this will make Shantae support explode overnight - like Chorus Kids after the gematsu rumor, Ryu after the DLC rumor, Shovel Knight after Smashified.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Meh, he could just be gathering support. I wouldn't mind Shantae in Smash, but sometimes the Smash fanbase jumps to foregone conclusions.

And with sometimes I mean always.

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Damn from what it seems in this thread you either hate Shantae and don't want her in the game or you love Shantae and don't want her in the game.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280

Now this site is officially reaching Kotaku levels of clickbait. I love Shantae and all, but we shouldn't really treat everything that the Wayforward crew tweet as facts.
Seriously. I remember not too long ago that the front page had actual news

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
Honestly, this isn't a teaser. Nintendo probably doesn't even have the smash ballot character decided yet. Even if they did (and if it was shantae), they wouldn't let this guy tweet about it.

I personally believe that Shantae has no chance to make it in (mainly because of how many people want the characters like Isaac and K rool).

(I personally hope that K rool makes it in, it is our finest hour after all)

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
If the ballot ends in October, it would be weird for Ninty to pick up Shantae early. You'd think that they would pick a character with more support to DLC early, like Ridley King K. Rool or Banjo & Kazooie.

StarForce

Smash Ace
Hyrule, Mushroom, Sarasaland, Nohr Kingdoms
*You like to Smash, Mario likes to Smash. Guess what? Shantae likes to Smash too! Make it happen. Support Shantae in the Smash Ballot.*

Oh Yes. Have her in my signature. Always wanted her in Smash. I promote her whenever possible at Twitter. I would love for this to be a fact. Shantae for Smash. Make it happen!

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Last I checked, Shovel Knight was leading the 3rd party poll by a huge margin, I thought...

D

Deleted member

it would be a good idea if nintendo let shantae into smash 4 for DLC it would be great for nintendo to have a good relationship with the Indie
company's and if we are lucky Wayforward might be nintendo new second party now tell me that doesn't sound awesome! :D

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Last I checked, Shovel Knight was leading the 3rd party poll by a huge margin, I thought...
On Reddit, yes. But Reddit isn't everywhere; and Shantae also has more significance than Sovel Knight to Nintendo, since she's been on the company's platforms before.

Plus, Shantae at least has a Japanese release. Shovel Knight doesn't as of yet (even if one's coming), and I expect a Shovel Knight reveal would be the same as Little Mac's; America is cheering while Japan doesn't know who the hell he even is. Shantae is at least somewhat known in Japan, while Shovel Knight isn't.

Besides, we already have a Knight in Smash Bros; he's kinda the God-Tier of Brawl. :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I still would like to see Veterans return before newcomers. Squirtle, Ivysaur, Wolf, and Snake pls! <3

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Honestly, this isn't a teaser. Nintendo probably doesn't even have the smash ballot character decided yet. Even if they did (and if it was shantae), they wouldn't let this guy tweet about it.

I personally believe that Shantae has no chance to make it in (mainly because of how many people want the characters like Isaac and K rool).

(I personally hope that K rool makes it in, it is our finest hour after all)
My vote is still going to Banjo & Kazooie, but my heart tells me that I really do want K. Rool to win.

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
Does anybody here actually care about the moveset instead of just what the character looks like/ how popular said character is?

Some characters like Link have robust movesets because of all the items and powerups they get in their respective games, so it's a given that Link is gonna swing his sword, spin his sword, throw bombs and boomerangs, and shoot arrows and hookshots. It can go without question that Link was a great choice for Smashbros.

Sheik didn't have a lot of speciality attacks but she's a freaking ninja so Samurai made it work. Sonic does the spinny spin spin so he has a lot of spinny attacks in Smash.

So what really does this Shantae character do besides wear the baseline requirement for clothes? I haven't played a Shantae game but it just looks like a standard platformer. Will adding Shantae to the roster really do much to evolve the meta and enrich the tournament experience?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's more like something advertising the eShop rather than hinting her Smash inclusion. But whatever, I'm saying the obvious. Wouldn't mind it.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Does anybody here actually care about the moveset instead of just what the character looks like/ how popular said character is?

Some characters like Link have robust movesets because of all the items and powerups they get in their respective games, so it's a given that Link is gonna swing his sword, spin his sword, throw bombs and boomerangs, and shoot arrows and hookshots. It can go without question that Link was a great choice for Smashbros.

Sheik didn't have a lot of speciality attacks but she's a freaking ninja so Samurai made it work. Sonic does the spinny spin spin so he has a lot of spinny attacks in Smash.

So what really does this Shantae character do besides wear the baseline requirement for clothes? I haven't played a Shantae game but it just looks like a standard platformer. Will adding Shantae to the roster really do much to evolve the meta and enrich the tournament experience?
I've only played the first game so she ay have gained more abilities since then but in there she pretty much just whipped enemies with her hair, had a unlockable shoulder bash/flying kick move, and could transform into animals. so pretty much, standard platformer stuff like you said. though there were optional limited used magic items that could be used for some neat moves i guess.

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I'm sure Matt would love for his cute little jailbait to make it into Smash. I'd love for my undeserving indie character to make it into Smash too.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Ehn. Every character thread around here has their cracko straw grasping moments. I remember some days ago some of us eye twitched when we saw Reggie playing DKC on the E3 announcement video.

Having said this, I do want Shantae for Smash Bros. And this is a "larger than average straw". Really, Shantae would make both fans and creators happy.

Sonicthesneak

Smash Ace
We can only wish. I can only wish.

Very few 3rd party characters actually make sense and have a history with Nintendo. And those that do beat out Shantae (Bomberman, Rayman, etc) either have been considered already or aren't eligible.

While I think this is nothing important, I would not be mad at all and I doubt many people would.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Now this site is officially reaching Kotaku levels of clickbait. I love Shantae and all, but we shouldn't really treat everything that the Wayforward crew tweet as facts.

Like, I thought Sakurai would be the very only person to be overanalyzed by tweets alone, but it's kinda embarrassing when thinking a light-hearted sentence in a tweet from an indie developer has to be taken this far.

Step up your quality in these news a bit more SB.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Where's mah Dixie Kong.l? This girl here is nothing compared to the ponytail might of Dixie.

Last edited:

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
No guizes we need Le alligator king and ****ty knights from a unheard of game in Japan.

Hell even I know know Shante won't make it in, and I was a fan of the games since it first came out .

Can you guys at least THIINK for a second who would be a good character (and no, dont give me that Ridley bull**** either, just as cancerous as the Goku and Shadow fanboys)?

No seriously, take a moment and think why you might say something ridiculous like a anime or a barely heard of indie game?

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Actually, if Bozon actually DID have some insider knowledge that Shantae is in Smash, he'd try to hide it as much as possible because NDA's.

And given the nature of the tweet, that's pretty clearly just an exaggerated lighthearted comment about how great it is Shantae's getting some space with Mario and DK. Kind of embarrassing tbh to take this as a legitimate "teaser" imo.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Wayforward is desperate for recognition, aren't they. First riding the coattails of Mighty n.9 and now this garbage. No thanks

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
No guizes we need Le alligator king and ****ty knights from a unheard of game in Japan.

Hell even I know know Shante won't make it in, and I was a fan of the games since it first came out .

Can you guys at least THIINK for a second who would be a good character (and no, dont give me that Ridley bull**** either, just as cancerous as the Goku and Shadow fanboys)?

No seriously, take a moment and think why you might say something ridiculous like a anime or a barely heard of indie game?
Just curious, who did you vote for/want in smash 4?

link2702

Smash Champion
much as I liked both shantae games for 3DS(waiting for the *real* wii U shantae game, not a port of the 3DS title) it'd feel very awkward seeing her in smash....

god I don't even wanna think of what will happen on miiverse with all the dirty minded children there if shantae is revealed....

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
:/ I wouldn't call people wanting Ridley in as bad as Goku fanboys. One of them at least has a chance to make it in at any point if Sakurai decides it. The other has no chance in hell of making it in because he's not a video game fighter.

And unless we get Optimus Prime in Smash, I think Goku is always going to be impossible. :p Ridley is at least a first-party character.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Obvious clickbait tittle is obvious. No offense to her fans, but until WayForward becomes a subsidiary of Nintendo or if the later gets the rights of the Shantae franchise she's not Smash material besides maybe a trophy cameo and I'd be upset if she somehow makes in. I feel like she's to Smash 4 DLC speculation what Geno was to Brawl speculation (I wasn't there to speculate at the time but for what I've read he got a huge amount of support back then), a somewhat random character who get a sizeable amount of vocal support from a fanbase that tries to make feel like they're the majority.

Sure, she has more history with Nintendo than most if all other "indies", but still... that's not saying much.

Last edited:

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
As much as I love shantee and shovel knight, why can't quote for cave story get any of this love!?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't mind seeing her in Smash. The same can be said for any other characters.

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
would prefer might switch force girl from wayforward, but I've never played the shantae games so iono who would have better abilities/music.

Top Bottom