• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shadow of the Colossus is the best game ever.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Link to original post: [drupal=3009]Shadow of the Colossus is the best game ever.[/drupal]

Shadow of the Colossus is one of the best games I’ve ever played, if not the best. While it was received well by critics and the general public alike, the greatness of this game can not be stressed enough. The word “game” doesn’t do justice to the experience delivered… it truly is a work of art.

The story isn’t unlike those found in the best RPGs and leaves fans speculating up to this very day. The basic premise is that you are a boy named Wander, who brings a dead girl to a shrine in order to resurrect her. A spirit named Dormin tells the boy to slay sixteen Colossi, scattered throughout the land, in order to fulfill his wish. The boy takes off with his loyal horse to complete this daunting task. As the game progresses, it turns out that there might be a severe drawback to killing the creatures, which isn’t fully revealed until the game’s bittersweet ending. Food for thought, indeed.

The battles with the Colossi are extremely challenging: not only do you have to climb the beasts without falling off (and often risk being trampled!), the game also makes you think. That’s right, most Colossi battles carry a profound puzzle element and I got stuck more than once. Stuck in a fun way, I might add, because the solution never felt illogical or unreasonable. Slowly but surely bringing the majestic creatures closer to their demise by stabbing them in their well-hidden weak spots is a tragically beautiful act I had never dreamed of committing.

The game provides a novel experience in that it’s all boss battles and nothing else. Well, that’s not entirely true… you have to travel to the bosses first through the beautiful overworld. What makes the overworld impressive isn’t the visuals though, it’s the fact that it’s just you and your horse out there. It’s a daring move by the developers in a time where games are filled to the brim with action. I could never quite shake that feeling of isolation and hopelessness. The music did a good job in adding to the experience and I find myself listening to the OST on an almost daily basis.

Team ICO, if your next game is even half as good as this brilliant gem, I will gladly go out and buy it… against double the price.

**** you Marc D: <

Shadow of the Colossus =

+

finalark

SNORLAX
The story of SotC, either bloody brilliant or freakin' weird. I believe the words "Jigsaw Puzzle Plot" wouldn't be inadiquite. They give you the premise, then you get on ocassional flashback and it's ultimately up to the player. This can either be confusing, or interesting. I personally found it to be the latter, although the ending just came out of freakin' nowhere.

HoN3Y64

Smash Apprentice
Ice Climber is WAYYY deeper than SotC. Or any other game for that matter. How can UB be so blind to that fact?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Wow ice climbers is pretty deep the condor has always made me wonder, he seems evil but helps you. Maybe he's in it for the food or better nana and he won't get nana due to the deadliest weapon of ice climbers. DOWN-SMASH

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
SoTC is the ****. It's my favorite game ever and I absolutely love the storyline. The next Team ICO game by the way is The Last Guardian for the PS3 only. I'm making a friend of mine rent it so I can play it.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Cave Story is the business.

I enjoyed SotC, although more for the ambiance than the gameplay. I liked ICO more, overall.

Top Bottom