• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sexualization in Smash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did we not already have a topic on this? By Yuna, I believe.

*Sigh*

Look, Snake's *** takes anything sexy in this game and kills it. Same thing with Fox's ***, Pit's tight shorts, Wario in general and CF's nipple buttons/***. If that's not balanced out, I don't know what is.

This whole topic is stemed from the fact that the OP has a problem with Samus being sexy. Not a single notation of Snake or any other previously mentioned characters. If we really lived in an equal society, this sexualization (which is not a real word mind you) in smash topic would've covered everything instead of focusing on the woman only.

Now that the practical stuff is out of the way, time to say some more stuff

If anything, I think Samus and Snake are smarter for wearing Skin tight clothing. It keeps the heat down, easy to move in, and is aerodynamic. C'mon, I mean, Ganondorf wears really heavy armor, making him useless and slow. Marth's puffy pants and stupid hair make him float like a butterfly. Lucario wears shorts. SHORTS! Clearly he is more awesome because of them.

My point is, if your going to talk about sexualization (still not a word, mate) in video games, don't just talk about the women. We got half naked dudes in games all the time, I fail to see an outcry at that.

And, lord, do we need one.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actually, my thread was about how all of the female characters who were in Melee were nerfed (except for Zelda). And it was a humourous observation thread.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
Hey all; sorry I haven't contributed much outside of the OP (I was out seeing 'Harold and Kumar'; A++, by the way).

I think it's interesting that Zelda and Peach were brought up because neither of them are particularly sexually charge characters. They are presented as 'pretty' (which one would expect from the damsel in distress), but Zelda's actions are all very dainty and deliberate, while Peach's are more along the lines of 'girlish', the same way one would describe a bubbly high schooler. Zero Suit, however, is taken along a very different line. She is limber, but not like Shiek; Sheik may be Zelda, but she is Zelda under the guise of a man, and as such, Shiek's movements are more along the lines of a martial artist, whereas Zero Suit's are very flaunty by comparison, full of showy stretches.

And, on the subject of Snake, I feel that he is the male equivalent of Zero Suit. To borrow from Yahtzee, he is Smash's ruggedly handsome, white-as-the-driven-snow character (par for the Metal Gear course, naturally), very different from classic Nintendo heroes but VERY similar to, say, every post Duke Nukem-era protagonist. Hell, his entire ZSS CODEC sequence is one big innuendo.

Note that I'm not necessarily saying that this trend doesn't have its place... but I (personally, and in my opinion) find it... interesting that Nintendo pandered like that, even as early on (comparatively) as M:ZM. It's obvious that a female character can be portrayed as strong-willed and capable without making her unattractive but while refraining from over sexualization. Again, I just find it interesting. Maybe I'll add to/edit this when I'm a little less tired and can think a little more clearly. :laugh:
No. >.> Snake's ugly. Pit is the male equivalent IMO. Alot of girls and non straight guys I know seem to really really like him. And its weird~!

oh, funny note

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rQqTl2lG0o

this vid. its a meme japan has about there being too much sausage in a game, manga, show or even a website 2ch doesn't like as opposed to girls.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
You're forgetting that like Zamus, Snake wears skintight clothing. Sure, Pit's got those shorts but he's got a toga on as well.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Melee was more "perverted" (Ganondorf, anyone?), and it seems they calmed down a bit in Brawl.

Tainek

Smash Rookie
Some male characters are just as sexualised as the female ones, However i wouldnt really say any character in this game is distasteful*.

A little sex isnt harmful in the slightest, its when its taken to obscene levels that there is any issue (And even then, it depends on the context).

I'd say as fighting games go, SSBB is pretty prudish, compared to others (looking at you Dead Or Alive!)

*Except Snake *Shudder*

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Yeah.. I definitely agree about Snake being Zamus' male counter-part. I think they definitely put that in there on purpose.

There's not much to say except that anything can be made more sexual if you make it that way. Sure there's some things that are obvious but other things, people just make them worse than they need to be.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Snake has a similar tight outfit and no one is saying anything about him. So really, controversy closed, thanks.

BTW, I'm a girl, and one that goes on feminist ravings often.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Among the three ladies that you see, Peach apparently is the most beautiful in my view.

With golden colored hair, a cheerful face, and a sweet dress, I highly doubt that anyone could resist Peach's charms.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
The ironic thing is that when people make a big deal about over-sexualized women, it actually helps to reinforce negative gender stereotypes (a woman is either a prude or a tramp, she can't just be sexy).

Ant13

Smash Rookie
This could and probably will make Samus Nintendo's Sex Symbol. I have no problem with this. I'd rather it be a female who looks good and is more likely to kick you in the throat and shoot off your face than some prissy girl, or some ridiculously busty female. At least her breasts aren't smacking her in the face every time she jumps. *cough cough DOA cough cough* It's not as bad as it could be. If you have a problem with it, play with your eyes closed when you play as/against her.

As for the whole Snake issue, at least he's not wearing a David Bowie Labrynth codpiece.

Cookiez

Smash Ace
Come on, Samus's suit is the equivalent of a frigging chastity belt. Who the **** would put it back on?

Still lol, I agree with you on this Jack. Use Zelda/Peach, don't destroy my Metal ***** T.T.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
lol, I can see it now.

ZSS: That glowing ball again...I wonder if it will speed me up or something?"

*grabs the ball and activates it

ZSS: O.O "NO NO NO! STOP! NO! HELP HELP! DON'T WANT! SOMEONE KNOCK IT OUT OF ME HURRY! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I AM-"

*schink!

Samus:"ASJKHD;LGKASG'LAHLGJ;AKHSKLGHAGHK!

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Zamus eh? Varia Suit Samus turns me on more than a toddler playing with the kitchen faucet. In all seriousness, I wished Nintendo would've used the model of Zero Suit Samus in Metroid Prime Hunters. Her breasts aren't ridiculously over-sized so that would make gravity and momentum issues on her character model a bit easier to control. Besides, her hair looks tons better in MPH. There's just no competition against that pony tail.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
The trailer was shown before sakurai even knew that there were plans for a new smash bros.
The gam was announced in 2005. It was going to be a Melee remake (Iwata didn't make that clear though). Sakurai didn't know about it until then.

Sakurai eventually agreed to be the director and production started October 2005. The first trailer was shown in 2006.

LERN2SCIENCE

SagaKirby

Smash Journeyman
This could and probably will make Samus Nintendo's Sex Symbol. I have no problem with this. I'd rather it be a female who looks good and is more likely to kick you in the throat and shoot off your face than some prissy girl, or some ridiculously busty female. At least her breasts aren't smacking her in the face every time she jumps. *cough cough DOA cough cough* It's not as bad as it could be. If you have a problem with it, play with your eyes closed when you play as/against her.

As for the whole Snake issue, at least he's not wearing a David Bowie Labrynth codpiece.
lol.So Zero Suit Samus is basically Nintendo's Austin powers if shes the Sex Symbol,no?

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
I dunno guys, I think the source picture I used for my new signature says it all. Brawl + lesbianism = win!

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

M.K

Level 55
I think the Zero Suit Samus addition was to solidify Samus AS a female. I mean, God only knows that I only learned about Samus being a girl like....5 years ago.

Doval

Smash Lord
1) Samus was Nintendo's cheesecake character waaaaay before Brawl. Since Metroid 1.
2) The Zero Suit isn't any more sexual than the bikini she wore in Metroid 1, or the two-piece she wore in
Super Metroid.
3) Zero Suit Samus is portrayed as she is in Zero Mission. She was not sexualized for Brawl. Zero Mission was released in 2004.
4) Metroid fans already knew Samus is hot. There's even a manga and everything.
5) Brawl is not sexualized. Mai Shiranui is a prime example of a sexualized character. Dead or Alive is a prime example of a sexualized series. Darkstalkers is sexualized. Hell, I'd argue Chun-Li is more sexualized than Zero Suit Samus.
6) There's nothing wrong with the human body. Zero Suit Samus happens to have an attractive body, just like Snake happens to have an attractive body for a male and Captain Falcon is the embodiment of pure manliness.

Etc. etc.

uremog

Smash Ace
lol @ ppl complaining about ZSS when there's DOA.

let's all complain about bishes in manga sexualizing pretty guys while we're at it.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
OMG, women have breasts now?
Did you play the older games? Zero Suit > bikini any other time, so what is the problem again?

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I think kids know that some women have (huge) boobs.

It's ok.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I could care less about Zero Suit Samus.

Despite the fact that Snake has a thing for Samus, she's the least attractive of the three ladies in my view (Zelda being second most attractive, and Peach being number one).

cena_wolf

Smash Journeyman
Agreed (for the most part - Samus and Zelda are kinda tied in my opinion, but hey, that's me).

While I'm agreeing with the whole "sex sells" deal (because, really, it does), I'm not gonna say that Brawl is in any way sexualized. Sure, they happen to have a woman in a skin-tight outfit jumping around, but it doesn't mean anything, really. Actually, Zelda and Palutena are even more sexualized that ZSSamus, becuase they have (OMG!) cleavage. Skin is more sexualized than skin tight, as most here will agree.

But does that cleavage really mean there's sexualization in Brawl? No. If you couldn't tell before, those small bosoms that Zelda and Peach have do not bounce. If Nintendo had wanted to make Brawl a sexy game, they would have added physics not unlike the infamous Dead or Alive Xtreme "sexy physics".

Sexual marketing, when done correctly, is supposed to entice some sort of sexual reaction, and it's supposed to do it with something OBVIOUS. Now, you might think that ZSS is obvious, but she is not. Is she in a bikini? Do her breasts bounce at even the slightest breath? Exactly.

Now, her "Congratulations" picture... :3

Organous

Smash Apprentice
Let me see if I can put things in perspective.

1) She's called Zero Suit Samus because that's what she was wearing in Metroid: Zero Mission on the GBA. Granted, I haven't played all of the games (haven't beaten 2 on GB and haven't played Hunters on DS), but this seems to be the only instance where the player actually plays as Samus without her Chozo suit. Ok, I'm wrong, the original allowed you to play without it, too, but that's in bikini-wear. Recent games have shown her to be wearing the blue inside since Zero, so that's how it is.

2) Sexualization of women instead of men: I'll admit, it's plenty harder to find real sexualization of men without it being homosexual in nature. That's because men don't practice sexualizing themselves. It can be done, however. I'd say Lee in a tuxedo (Tekken) qualifies, wearing tight clothes that emphasize the chest. In Brawl, I'll cite Marth, Shiek, and for a certain audience, Pit (Shiek's debatable, but the digging I've gone through suggests that Zelda becomes the male Shiek in transformation). Marth is a typical bishounen character and Ike isn't really much different. Shiek, as is appropriate for the ninja type of character, wears extremely tight-fitting clothing like tuxedo Lee. The chest ends up being emphasized, and while I can't speak for everyone, a strong chest is desirable for males. As for Pit, well, I won't go into detail for that. Suffice it to say that people like those characters, there is a market for them, and it's gotten more well-known nowadays.

3) Why does she wear that, after all? It's done for the same reason any series has the character dress tight before going into some form-fitting technology. It looks to me like the Chozo suit is built to be efficiency rather than comfort, which includes size. Some have already commented on how tight-fitting it would be to her body, so she can't really wear much while still fitting inside.

In conclusion, yes sexualization exists. It's simply part of our culture. Everything has different levels of it and even the most conservative settings put emphasis on so-called "beauty." I'll admit I was shocked when I first saw the trailer, since the shadow figure looked very much like it had no clothes. They probably built her with more scrutiny once she was going to be watched more closely , but it's perfectly within her character. It is not sex for the sake of sex as has been the case in DOA or Mai Shiranui. If anything, the closest comparison is Chun-Li, who while still being made to appeal to leg fetishes, keeps with her rough attitude most of the time.

Roller

Smash Legend
Let me see if I can put things in perspective.

1) She's called Zero Suit Samus because that's what she was wearing in Metroid: Zero Mission on the GBA. Granted, I haven't played all of the games (haven't beaten 2 on GB and haven't played Hunters on DS), but this seems to be the only instance where the player actually plays as Samus without her Chozo suit. Ok, I'm wrong, the original allowed you to play without it, too, but that's in bikini-wear. Recent games have shown her to be wearing the blue inside since Zero, so that's how it is.

2) Sexualization of women instead of men: I'll admit, it's plenty harder to find real sexualization of men without it being homosexual in nature. That's because men don't practice sexualizing themselves. It can be done, however. I'd say Lee in a tuxedo (Tekken) qualifies, wearing tight clothes that emphasize the chest. In Brawl, I'll cite Marth, Shiek, and for a certain audience, Pit (Shiek's debatable, but the digging I've gone through suggests that Zelda becomes the male Shiek in transformation). Marth is a typical bishounen character and Ike isn't really much different. Shiek, as is appropriate for the ninja type of character, wears extremely tight-fitting clothing like tuxedo Lee. The chest ends up being emphasized, and while I can't speak for everyone, a strong chest is desirable for males. As for Pit, well, I won't go into detail for that. Suffice it to say that people like those characters, there is a market for them, and it's gotten more well-known nowadays.

3) Why does she wear that, after all? It's done for the same reason any series has the character dress tight before going into some form-fitting technology. It looks to me like the Chozo suit is built to be efficiency rather than comfort, which includes size. Some have already commented on how tight-fitting it would be to her body, so she can't really wear much while still fitting inside.

In conclusion, yes sexualization exists. It's simply part of our culture. Everything has different levels of it and even the most conservative settings put emphasis on so-called "beauty." I'll admit I was shocked when I first saw the trailer, since the shadow figure looked very much like it had no clothes. They probably built her with more scrutiny once she was going to be watched more closely , but it's perfectly within her character. It is not sex for the sake of sex as has been the case in DOA or Mai Shiranui. If anything, the closest comparison is Chun-Li, who while still being made to appeal to leg fetishes, keeps with her rough attitude most of the time.
This man speaks the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom