• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Set vs Ally

lilseph

Smash Ace
Gimp his ***. But seeing how its ally that might be a problem, not to mention ally has insane DI so just gotta deal with the fact that he will live to 170+

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Brawl's a bad game with half the cast who cant kill for ****. Go back to Melee or Smash64.

THIS IS TRUTH NOT TROLL!

ksizl4life

Smash Hero

Real talk how the **** do you kill snake earlier?
I'll critique the first one after seeing it about 3 times

At 1:06 when you grabbed, you basically said "Here Snake let me throw you in the place you want so you can have stage control again". He was on the edge, why not down throw him off to put him in a terrible position. Also, he was at 148 and you didn't pummel. Pummel twice next time around that percent.

2:00, don't ever get up off the ledge like that vs Snake. You're MK. You got more options then that that you can actually control. Air dodge on to stage, dimension cape mindgame, Up b all would've been better choices. A slow get up after having over 100 percent was something he could've reacted to and punish easily. Of course, it might have been a mistake. It's happened to me too.

2:44, if you get down thrown when you're at kill percent, either roll towards the grenade if there is one around but in this case there wasn't. Here you should've rolled forward. Snake needs to dash, shield, then up tilt which means they can sometimes mess up by buffering a roll or something and sometimes you might shield the up tilt because they were too slow. All the other options can be reacted to easier and can lead to a stock loss faster. You rolled behind him. All he had to do was hit back lightly on the control stick and up tilt. No effort.

3:05, when a Snake is recovering at a high percent like that, the first thing they're gonna do vs an MK when they land is shield. If you watch the vid, he does it the entire match. Shield. Instead of staling your d smash since he won't be dying till 180ish, you should grab, pummel and throw till he gets to the aforementioned percent.

3:30, remember that you're using MK lol. You have like 6 jumps. No need to air dodge already. That's what snakes pay attention to when you dair camp : when you're gonna air dodge or land. They also pay attention to your jumping patterns so they can random up air you but you dodge it easily so no worries on that.

Everything else in the match you did well. Minus the end lol I told you what not do about the end already but I'll re mention it

As soon as you see that rocket launcher, stay the **** away from his little circle. After landing in a respectful distance from him you could've ran up and nair'd and won only because his shield was extremely low so I expect a spot dodge which makes him hold down which means if you beat the spot dodge, you would've sent him away with bad DI. If he shielded, you would've broken his shield and won. And if you waited for the spot dodge if you expected it...maybe that match would've continued since he was only at 150..lol

Hope this helped! You got this next time.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
I'll critique the first one after seeing it about 3 times

At 1:06 when you grabbed, you basically said "Here Snake let me throw you in the place you want so you can have stage control again". He was on the edge, why not down throw him off to put him in a terrible position. Also, he was at 148 and you didn't pummel. Pummel twice next time around that percent.

2:00, don't ever get up off the ledge like that vs Snake. You're MK. You got more options then that that you can actually control. Air dodge on to stage, dimension cape mindgame, Up b all would've been better choices. A slow get up after having over 100 percent was something he could've reacted to and punish easily. Of course, it might have been a mistake. It's happened to me too.

2:44, if you get down thrown when you're at kill percent, either roll towards the grenade if there is one around but in this case there wasn't. Here you should've rolled forward. Snake needs to dash, shield, then up tilt which means they can sometimes mess up by buffering a roll or something and sometimes you might shield the up tilt because they were too slow. All the other options can be reacted to easier and can lead to a stock loss faster. You rolled behind him. All he had to do was hit back lightly on the control stick and up tilt. No effort.

3:05, when a Snake is recovering at a high percent like that, the first thing they're gonna do vs an MK when they land is shield. If you watch the vid, he does it the entire match. Shield. Instead of staling your d smash since he won't be dying till 180ish, you should grab, pummel and throw till he gets to the aforementioned percent.

3:30, remember that you're using MK lol. You have like 6 jumps. No need to air dodge already. That's what snakes pay attention to when you dair camp : when you're gonna air dodge or land. They also pay attention to your jumping patterns so they can random up air you but you dodge it easily so no worries on that.

Everything else in the match you did well. Minus the end lol I told you what not do about the end already but I'll re mention it

As soon as you see that rocket launcher, stay the **** away from his little circle. After landing in a respectful distance from him you could've ran up and nair'd and won only because his shield was extremely low so I expect a spot dodge which makes him hold down which means if you beat the spot dodge, you would've sent him away with bad DI. If he shielded, you would've broken his shield and won. And if you waited for the spot dodge if you expected it...maybe that match would've continued since he was only at 150..lol

Hope this helped! You got this next time.
Yeah i realized how dumb what i did @ 1:06 was. loooooooool

etecoon

Smash Hero
pretty much that, fishing for kills lets snake catch up, play to time him out rofl

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Be patient when juggling, just using nado for % when you could get Ally offstage instead is kinda stupid.

NNID
Budget_Player
Hmm... Just curious, why FD for the starter, and then SV for the counterpick? You could've forced much better stages against snake in both rounds. Brinstar comes to mind for G2, might've given you the edge you needed.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Hmm... Just curious, why FD for the starter, and then SV for the counterpick? You could've forced much better stages against snake in both rounds. Brinstar comes to mind for G2, might've given you the edge you needed.
I don't like to win by playing on gay stages. lol

lilseph

Smash Ace
I don't like to win by playing on gay stages. lol
Than why do you play MK?

A big part of his character is having amazing counterpicks, If they ban RC, you go Norfair, and if they ban Norfair, you go RC (for most cases). They arn't gay stages, they are counterpicks for a reason.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Seriously, winning is most of the time less satisfying knowing you didn't actually outplay your opponent. I feel him. I never CP gay stages myself, usually Smashville, sometimes FD. (Anti doesn't want my advice, but I took a game off Ally myself when he was in Europe :()

NNID
Budget_Player
Seriously, winning is most of the time less satisfying knowing you didn't actually outplay your opponent. I feel him. I never CP gay stages myself, usually Smashville, sometimes FD. (Anti doesn't want my advice, but I took a game off Ally myself when he was in Europe :()
Oh come on. Seriously, winning is most of the time less satisfying if I didn't actually play to win. If I beat a guy while sandbagging, it makes me feel, "wow, he's bad". That's what you tried to do, and failed.

If you want to know that you actually outplayed your opponent, counterpick a character like Ganondorf. Or, stop being scrubby, and use the advantages that being Metaknight brings you. You might as well just not use tornado or Shuttle Loop out of honor reasons.

Stop acting like you're not playing fairly when you counterpick your opponent to Brinstar or RC or Norfair or any other gay counterpick stage legal. All you're doing is using every advantage presented to you. If planking/IDC was legal, then you would be stupid not to just get the lead once and then abuse it. Just like you going to one of snake's best stages in the matchup game one, and then to another one of his best stages in the matchup on your counterpick. It's not a matter of honor (also, btw, the moment you bring up honor you're either a massive scrub, or the tactic you're honorably not using needs to be banned; see planking/IDC), it's a matter of smart play and playing to win. I would imagine top players, of all people, would know this. Isn't it dishonorable for Ally, being the better player (seemingly, at least), to agree to let you go to his best stages? Shouldn't he be the one saying, "here, I'm going to be honorable, we can play this set on Delfino and RC"?

Seriously, wow. Drop this mentality of "gay stages should not be picked because they're gay". This goes for everyone who still has it. First of all, they aren't gay, second of all if it gives you a massive advantage and you don't go for it, then you just gave away said massive advantage and you are acting like a scrub who agrees not to use his best character because his friend doesn't like it/he doesn't want to win all the time. The TO gave you the opportunity to gain such a serious advantage, USE IT. In short, play to win. I may be the wrong person to say this (inb4lolbpcisanoob), but jeez people, if you don't abuse every advantage given to you, then you are not playing to win and should not be going to tournaments in the first place. :ohwell:

NNID
Budget_Player
maybe anti just likes netruals....like **** get off his case LOL
Oh, nothing against favoring them. If you think you're going to do better on a stage that isn't as good for your character, go ahead. But not going to them because "they're cheap" is just a really bad reason. :( This is not just for Anti, it's for all of you. Don't abstain from using "gay stages" just because they're gay. Abuse them, for christ's sake, you're Metaknight! Only G&W and Wario are more versatile, and you **** them in sheer power! Nobody ever wants to take you to RC, Brinstar, or Norfair. There's no reason not to both use and abuse the "gay" stages.

EDIT:
zzmikeray4zz: OH no
zzmikeray4zz: wait
zzmikeray4zz: noo
zzmikeray4zz: he didnt go a gay stage
zzmikeray4zz: cause if he did
zzmikeray4zz: ally woulda went MK
zzmikeray4zz: and ally beats anti's MK
zzmikeray4zz: in the ditto
zzmikeray4zz: its good vs anti's

Is this why? (Protip: you look better if this is why)

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Oh, nothing against favoring them. If you think you're going to do better on a stage that isn't as good for your character, go ahead. But not going to them because "they're cheap" is just a really bad reason. :( This is not just for Anti, it's for all of you. Don't abstain from using "gay stages" just because they're gay. Abuse them, for christ's sake, you're Metaknight! Only G&W and Wario are more versatile, and you **** them in sheer power! Nobody ever wants to take you to RC, Brinstar, or Norfair. There's no reason not to both use and abuse the "gay" stages.

EDIT:
zzmikeray4zz: OH no
zzmikeray4zz: wait
zzmikeray4zz: he didnt go a gay stage
zzmikeray4zz: cause if he did
zzmikeray4zz: ally woulda went MK
zzmikeray4zz: and ally beats anti's MK
zzmikeray4zz: in the ditto
zzmikeray4zz: its good vs anti's

Is this why? (Protip: you look better if this is why)
LOL @ Mikeray.

I just ****ing didn't feel like going on a gay stage.

And if his MK "beats" mine why didn't he start of with MK?

Sorry BPC, Mikeray doesn't know what the **** he's talking about.

Laem

Smash Champion
get outta this thread, bpc. Back to the ruleset discussion, where you belong.

to anti, if u wanna start makin earlier kills, u should first of all get ally offstage more (instead of above ground where ur juggling him(which is not really a bad thing tho) and then have an agressive offstage game (dairs, risky shuttle loops, footstooling after c4, you know the drill)

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Oh come on. Seriously, winning is most of the time less satisfying if I didn't actually play to win. If I beat a guy while sandbagging, it makes me feel, "wow, he's bad". That's what you tried to do, and failed.

If you want to know that you actually outplayed your opponent, counterpick a character like Ganondorf. Or, stop being scrubby, and use the advantages that being Metaknight brings you. You might as well just not use tornado or Shuttle Loop out of honor reasons.

Stop acting like you're not playing fairly when you counterpick your opponent to Brinstar or RC or Norfair or any other gay counterpick stage legal. All you're doing is using every advantage presented to you. If planking/IDC was legal, then you would be stupid not to just get the lead once and then abuse it. Just like you going to one of snake's best stages in the matchup game one, and then to another one of his best stages in the matchup on your counterpick. It's not a matter of honor (also, btw, the moment you bring up honor you're either a massive scrub, or the tactic you're honorably not using needs to be banned; see planking/IDC), it's a matter of smart play and playing to win. I would imagine top players, of all people, would know this. Isn't it dishonorable for Ally, being the better player (seemingly, at least), to agree to let you go to his best stages? Shouldn't he be the one saying, "here, I'm going to be honorable, we can play this set on Delfino and RC"?

Seriously, wow. Drop this mentality of "gay stages should not be picked because they're gay". This goes for everyone who still has it. First of all, they aren't gay, second of all if it gives you a massive advantage and you don't go for it, then you just gave away said massive advantage and you are acting like a scrub who agrees not to use his best character because his friend doesn't like it/he doesn't want to win all the time. The TO gave you the opportunity to gain such a serious advantage, USE IT. In short, play to win. I may be the wrong person to say this (inb4lolbpcisanoob), but jeez people, if you don't abuse every advantage given to you, then you are not playing to win and should not be going to tournaments in the first place. :ohwell:
Not being able to outplay your opponent on a neutral stage with your main feels terrible. I almost never CP gay stages simply because of this. I don't like winning without outplaying my opponent. "Playing to win" is not necessarily a good thing.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
No, guys, I completely understand what Anti's saying. When I'm playing a better player than me and I lose first game (to the point where it's obvious I'm not winning the set) I always go back to a neutral. Sometimes it's best to just go where you'll learn the most or get the full experience rather than relying on the stage to give you that one win which means nothing for the set.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
I actually think Anti had a chance to win, sometimes he relied too much on certain tactics when he actually could outplay Ally (i.e. read him).

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
I did notice that during some of Ally's high recoveries you went for the uairs early. This exhausted your jumps and on your way back down to the stage, he makes it back too. So wait a bit so that your positions sync up better.

That and the landing shield thing, but it's already been mentioned.

My 2 cents. It's not like I play the match up nearly that good, heh.

mikeray4

Smash Ace
LOL @ Mikeray.

I just ****ing didn't feel like going on a gay stage.

And if his MK "beats" mine why didn't he start of with MK?

Sorry BPC, Mikeray doesn't know what the **** he's talking about.

you do know I troll hard.

name searching is fun

judge!

Smash Ace
quit throwing snake back onto the stage...lol that was by far your biggest problem

Top Bottom