• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Separate Spoiler Free Forum Suggestion and Discussion

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
The Japanese version of Brawl is coming out over a month ahead of the American release. Thus, we can expect that the game will have been thoroughly played by thousands of posters/internet users, and all its secrets and details will have been revealed and scrutinized on the internet by March 9th. It is inevitable. I myself plan to post about the game come Jan 31st. And since most Smashboard members dont live in Japan nor have access to a Japanese copy of Brawl, there will be tons of spoilers.

I guess the concensus here is that a Spoiler Free Discussion Board would be best. Some users can then come and discuss Brawl freely without being immediately exposed to spoilers. If it was only one thread Im sure it would be the easiest way to monitor for unwanted information. Of course this does not guarantee that people can not post whatever they like, spoilers included. So I think that the password system would be good. And moreover the only people who could register and recieve a password should have a post count of at least 150 and be a member for one month prior. That will keep people from creating a secondary account to troll. And it will also keep n00bs from inadvertantly spreading spoilers. Finally an agreement should be set, so that anyone who blatantly violates the rules runs the risk of having their account deleted.

The thread should also be moved to the top of the home page to keep the information below (thread titles) from being seen.

I mean the only alternative to this would be for several regular users to quit Smashboards cold turkey come Jan 31st. Thats asking alot. I mean I visit this site daily, and I couldnt imagine how slow my work day would be without it. So I dont think its fair that people should have to suffer outright because of Nintendo and their delays. We want a forum that all people can enjoy, now and forever.

What do you think?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Illyasvel

Smash Apprentice
I fully support this. I know it's easier to say "stay away from the internet" , but that's just a bit selfish, some people work at computers and there's not a lot of things to pass the time. I believe it's easier to create a spoiled section.

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
The only thing to give concern to, would be that the moderators would then have to try and enforce the rules, which may be a fruitless exercise, because random idiots will just go about doing whatever the hell they want.

Me? I vote for just continuing to use ShortFuse's import/Japanese news thread. It's pretty much already at the frontline for the Japanese happenings in Smash, so why not try and keep it that way?

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Supported fully. I'd like to still be able to browse SWF for a month without having to see the quick topic things saying 'Batman is in!" or something like that in the normal Brawl or Brawl Character forums.

I agree.
BUT:
The problem is that the spammy noobs will post all over either board unless we have a direct warning to them. And even then a bunch of dorks will post spoilers anyways.
I support the notion though.

Card

Smash Lord
I support the idea...

although I still suggest people who don't want spoilers to completely avoid SmashBoards or anywhere Smash Related for the mean time. There are chances for some information to slip away onto the Spoiler Free board. Some people might use unrevealed characters as a Signature or Avatar Icon, Some users might post information without even noticing that they revealed a spoiler.

Pokec

Smash Journeyman
i just hope that smashboards doesnt put up new character boards until the game is released in NA. only because i plan to stay away from the spoilers.

MAST3R

Smash Apprentice
I support this too. I don't want to have to use just one thread for spoilers people would be posting so quick no one would see every post made even important ones.

burrito

Smash Lord
The problem is: there is no way to prevent trolls from posting spoilers outside the spoiler forum. I don't know if I want to take that chance.

jonkil

Smash Apprentice
this would be cool but i dont wanna know anything(well cept stages and sorts) about the game. but i cant just not look. tooooo haarrrrdddd

Pendragonslayer

Smash Cadet
I'd like to know the roster as soon as it is revealed and stuff, but I think this sounds like an excellent idea for those that'd rather discover it for themselves.

Besides, spoiler warnings are pretty hard to take too far.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
I feel like a broken record saying this, but here's the deal with the spoiler-free (or spoiler-only) room:

People won't follow the rules. This is the biggest concern. Anyone can just make one post and ruin all of subspace for anyone who happens to see it, and we have no effective way of stopping that. We do not have the manpower in terms of mods to keep watching the forums 24/7 and make sure no spoilers get posted for an entire month.

Then there's the question of how long we keep enforcing a spoiler policy. People eventually are going to get their hands on the game and actually play it for themselves--and what should they do when they want to talk about it? We can't keep everything hidden away forever, so frankly the easier decision is to make a spoiler-free room. But if we did that, I couldn't guarantee that it would actually remain spoiler-free, nor could I promise even that spoilers would be removed promptly. And at that point, I can't imagine any of you would actually want to use the room. (If you would, let me know--I think you're insane if you really want to avoid spoilers, but if you can accept that you might see them, maybe we'll make a spoiler free discussion room.)

I will offer what I've already offered, though: sign up for the no-spoilers RSS feed at Smash News--there's a link in the sidebar to do so. I don't honestly know what kind of content we'll be running there once the game comes out, but we will be running it ourselves, so it's not like someone will come along and randomly post the end to Subspace or anything (like they could do in a spoiler-free room).

In the end, I don't think this will work because we can't guarantee that you won't see any spoilers. And if I were genuinely trying to avoid spoilers (which I'd like to do, but practically can't) I wouldn't want to trust that.

Cheezball

Smash Ace
This is a good idea for multiple reasons, but my main favorite advantage of this is the fact that everyone that is a fake leaker would post there. (I hope)

NintendoGamer88

Smash Cadet
I feel like a broken record saying this, but here's the deal with the spoiler-free (or spoiler-only) room:

People won't follow the rules. This is the biggest concern. Anyone can just make one post and ruin all of subspace for anyone who happens to see it, and we have no effective way of stopping that. We do not have the manpower in terms of mods to keep watching the forums 24/7 and make sure no spoilers get posted for an entire month.

Then there's the question of how long we keep enforcing a spoiler policy. People eventually are going to get their hands on the game and actually play it for themselves--and what should they do when they want to talk about it? We can't keep everything hidden away forever, so frankly the easier decision is to make a spoiler-free room. But if we did that, I couldn't guarantee that it would actually remain spoiler-free, nor could I promise even that spoilers would be removed promptly. And at that point, I can't imagine any of you would actually want to use the room. (If you would, let me know--I think you're insane if you really want to avoid spoilers, but if you can accept that you might see them, maybe we'll make a spoiler free discussion room.)

I will offer what I've already offered, though: sign up for the no-spoilers RSS feed at Smash News--there's a link in the sidebar to do so. I don't honestly know what kind of content we'll be running there once the game comes out, but we will be running it ourselves, so it's not like someone will come along and randomly post the end to Subspace or anything (like they could do in a spoiler-free room).

In the end, I don't think this will work because we can't guarantee that you won't see any spoilers. And if I were genuinely trying to avoid spoilers (which I'd like to do, but practically can't) I wouldn't want to trust that.
Something is better than nothing.

I think everyone in this topic understands that there is absolutely NO way to remain on this forum and not risk being spoiled. However, many users cannot or will not quit using the internet for 5 weeks continuously. So by providing a place for spoiler-free discussion, users at least have a place to go where they are not CONSTANTLY BOMBARDED by spoilers. Sure there will be a small handfull of trolls who will spoil the game, but that's 1 spoiler topic a day is much better than 50 spoiler topics a day. And as I mentioned, by even being on the internet during those 5 weeks, you have to acknowledge there is a risk of being spoiled. This applies to ANYWHERE.

Personally, while I plan to follow the Dojo religiously, I want as much as possible of the hidden roster to stay hidden (I love the CHALENGER APPROACHING moments). And naturally I don't want spoilers for TSE.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I don't think it really works. For one, this game doesn't really have much in the way of spoilers, due to lack of story, and quite frankly, I don't think there are many people who won't look up for the full roster. For those who don't want to know all the characters...well you shouldn't be here at all when that time comes. I mean seriously, there's too much to moniter. Icons, sigs, and just random little tidbts of people blurting out their impressions, or opinion on the secret character. Additionally, it may not be them being cruel, it could just be a accident.

Really though, it must take someone really dense to actually come here, expect to talk about Brawl, and still expect there to not be spoilers...heck, why would they even be here if they weren't going for the spoilers? Just the Dojo updates? (Heck, those will be obsolete besides a source of good pictures or possible clarification)

Timekeeper

Smash Cadet
The best solution would be a spoiler free room that requires posts to be approved before being viewable.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
The best solution would be a spoiler free room that requires posts to be approved before being viewable.
That requires a ton of people (mods) being willing to read every post that's made in that room before it gets posted. We're not going to have mods doing that 24/7, especially since the other rooms are going to be swamped with posters.

I could entertain the idea of creating a room with a password of some sort or other restriction to get in, but again, I (and I'm pretty sure the rest of the mod team) don't have the time to spend approving individual users' posts, or even requests to post in a spoiler free room.

BTW, if Smabura-Ken (the Melee update site) is any indication, Sakurai may very well start unveiling hidden characters on the Dojo starting the 31st. So don't read the Dojo if you want to avoid that.

peytar

Smash Journeyman
A place where no one cares about brawl but me
100% support man at a way to fight for the people who can't fight for themselves thank you soo much i think this is a superb idea and it shouldn't be too hard to make another section just for spoilers!! kirby king it will be easier to just lock a few thread and only see a tid bit of information when you don't want to rather than everything you dont wanna see

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
someone get on that right now

I'll be a MOD for you:grin:
I can do it for you as well, since I will spoil it for myself so I can find out which one is real or not to save yall but I don't think it is fair to admin and moderator to lose members like that but who know.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
It won't make a difference, because people will still post spoilers in the wrong forums. If you go on any site that has anything to do with Smash Bros. after January 31, plan on seeing all the hidden characters and stuff.

Mr. Sunny Patch

Smash Journeyman
This is a great idea, I support it. I don't want to have to stay away from anything Smash related completely but I also don't want things spoiled for me either.

Don't care about spoilers myself, but I support this idea.

I'll find out every scrap of info on this game I can get my hands on.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
I guess the concensus here is that a Spoiler Free Discussion Board would be best. If it was only one thread Im sure it would be the easiest way to monitor for unwanted information. Of course this does not guarantee that people can not post whatever they like, spoilers included. So I think that the password system would be good. And moreover the only people who could register and recieve a password should have a post count of at least 150 and be a member for one month prior. That will keep people from creating a secondary account to troll. And it will also keep n00bs from inadvertantly spreading spoilers. Finally an agreement should be set, so that anyone who blatantly violates the rules runs the risk of having their account deleted.

The thread should also be moved to the top of the home page to keep the information below (thread titles) from being seen.

I mean the only alternative to this would be for several regular users to quit Smashboards cold turkey come Jan 31st. Thats asking alot. I mean I visit this site daily, and I couldnt imagine how slow my work day would be without it. So I dont think its fair that people should have to suffer outright because of Nintendo and their delays. We want a forum that all people can enjoy, now and forever.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I don't care about spoilers either but I support this idea.

And as for avoiding spoilers, it's not as hard as one thinks. I frequent several places that would have no problem spoiling Harry Potter--yet with the exception of one phrase, I was never spoiled on ANYTHING. It's all on how you avoid trolls.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
I don't care about spoilers either but I support this idea.

And as for avoiding spoilers, it's not as hard as one thinks. I frequent several places that would have no problem spoiling Harry Potter--yet with the exception of one phrase, I was never spoiled on ANYTHING. It's all on how you avoid trolls.
I totally agree. We have eyes and know how to use them. Its not like we have to read every word that we see. But thats not the real point here. What Im trying to get at is that this is probably the best way to keep spoliers at a mininmum for those who dont want too see them, but still want to use Smashboards.

Thino

Smash Master
mmh i agree with kirby king theres no way anybody can really prevent spoilers from being posted ,approving every single would be a pain cuz there will be SO many posters lol , id gladly help but it would (will) be very hard to have absotlutely no spoilers during a month , id say impossible
just try to avoid spoilers u got no choice (scroll fast,or dunno i already see trolls posting spoiler threads in CAPS lol)

good luck mods

Kruton

Smash Ace
I don't think having a 'Spoiler Free Board' would solve anything. The entire reason for this in the first place was for people who don't want spoilers to be able to roam smashboards freely without having to worry about running across any unwanted spoiler info. Having one board for the people who don't want the game ruined kind of singles them out, and would limit where they could go.

That being said, if I thought for one moment that trolls wouldn't go out of their way to ruin this I would support it. But I think it's impossible. The best thing to probably do is to stay away from all the Brawl related forums until it releases in the U.S.

Top Bottom