• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Seizon Senryaku: Marth General

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
if you can bait an AD into a BF platform it feels a lot more consistent. probably something to do with the landing animation's hurtbox covering more of the platform. just something to keep in mind.
Yup. Same thing with teching or failed tech hurtboxes or general landing lag (I guess). Also Lylat's side platforms are super easy if the tilting is in your favor. Too bad for Dreamland though.

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of sword trails, I tried to uair the Smashville balloon, and the balloon was enclosed ENTIRELY by that blue sword trail and didn't pop. It was more surreal than watching characters not get hit.
Surrounded and ENCLOSED by the sword trail. WITHIN the sword. And the balloon does not react.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Oh yeah it's extremely pitful. F-air on the balloon is impossible.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227

Found this. This guy uses DS after Fair offstage when he has a stock lead. Anyone else do this? I never tried it but I imagine it's extremely inconsistent due to the crappy DS range and not a combo.

Also found this. This is what I get for going slightly too deep in Youtube.

Langston777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
langston777
can you say it's really "viable"? like, do you have a reason not to airdodge when you're that far offstage vs marth? DS stage spikes are the sexiest thing since canned bread tho

also
is clearly his best work, imo

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
can you say it's really "viable"? like, do you have a reason not to airdodge when you're that far offstage vs marth? DS stage spikes are the sexiest thing since canned bread tho

also
is clearly his best work, imo
The vibrating sword was the best.

Radiant Hero

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mattiroquai
Found this. This guy uses DS after Fair offstage when he has a stock lead. Anyone else do this? I never tried it but I imagine it's extremely inconsistent due to the crappy DS range and not a combo.
It works better than you'd imagine, especially cause it can end a stock quickly outside of a tipper smash/SB and a lot of opponents won't expect it. I do find that at certain percentages though a tipper Fair will have too much knockback for a follow up (be it your second Fair, or DS). The nice thing about that though is a tipper on the second Fair will either be enough to gimp most of the cast, or just straight up kill. Either way, perhaps surprisingly enough this "combo" could be more reliant on Marth's sourspots (which might be why I could never pull it off with Lucina...).

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Ohhh, I remember that combo video... Yeah, I tried implementing that suicide DS offstage, but never really found an opportunity to do so simply because it just didn't feel right. In order to do it properly, you have to FULLY commit your second jump to jumping away from the stage, which already spells death for Marth. Using the double jump like that just doesn't feel right.
You're probably right that the risk vs reward for doing that isn't worth it. If we had SHULK'S Up-B range though.... that would be a completely different story.

Using DS offensively offstage to knock people away... I like using it to knock peoples' recoveries away if they try to recover low or diagonally and I'm already hanging on the ledge.
I didn't get that from the Marth video though-- how I used it was mostly inspired by this:
https://youtu.be/agP_rTFKvLM?t=1m43s

Also, THAT CHANNEL. I loved that channel.
This was one of my favorites alongside that other cat-ear one:

Oh my god, I remember finding this channel when that video came out. I even subscribed to it, how didn't I get any of the videos that came since then lol
Have you done this? http://i.imgur.com/DPbbRtt.png

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
It works better than you'd imagine, especially cause it can end a stock quickly outside of a tipper smash/SB and a lot of opponents won't expect it. I do find that at certain percentages though a tipper Fair will have too much knockback for a follow up (be it your second Fair, or DS). The nice thing about that though is a tipper on the second Fair will either be enough to gimp most of the cast, or just straight up kill. Either way, perhaps surprisingly enough this "combo" could be more reliant on Marth's sourspots (which might be why I could never pull it off with Lucina...).
Yeah the second Fair can usually gimp but if you're using your double jump for a second Fair while still traveling away from the stage, you gimped yourself... so you might as well try to get DS for good measure/style.

Radiant Hero

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mattiroquai
Yeah the second Fair can usually gimp but if you're using your double jump for a second Fair while still traveling away from the stage, you gimped yourself... so you might as well try to get DS for good measure/style.
Very true. The string is really high risk, but also really high reward (and stylish) since no matter what you'll be losing a stock if you commit to it. So unless you're confident with your timing, it should only be done if you're up a stock.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Yes! I do this all the time. It actually true combos (into the sweetspot) at certain percents. You have to hit with the upper part of fair so that you are close enough after the hit. It kills damn early. With Lucina it starts true comboing around 40%, if you get them near the ledge, falling uair > fair > up b can true combo and kill. You can only make it back to the stage if you tap back quickly while doing DS so that it moves you back slightly while rising up. I'd assume it works with marth too although you would obviously have to adjust percentages with tippers/sourspots.

edit: Got a vid ~ (ik dancing blade to uair doesnt true combo.)

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Yes! I do this all the time. It actually true combos (into the sweetspot) at certain percents. You have to hit with the upper part of fair so that you are close enough after the hit. It kills damn early. With Lucina it starts true comboing around 40%, if you get them near the ledge, falling uair > fair > up b can true combo and kill. You can only make it back to the stage if you tap back quickly while doing DS so that it moves you back slightly while rising up. I'd assume it works with marth too although you would obviously have to adjust percentages with tippers/sourspots.
I can't imagine this being a true combo. Fair to Fair barely works (and only if you hit on frame 8 then frame 6 for the next Fair). If DS has such crappy range then Fair can't much knockback (KB = hitstun) for DS to be able to reach. Yes, DS is frame 5 but I don't think that makes a big difference. If it's true then it's an extremely small window. I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Last edited:

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
I can't imagine this being a true combo. Fair to Fair barely works (and only if you hit on frame 8 then frame 6 for the next Fair). If DS has such crappy range then Fair can't much knockback (KB = hitstun) for DS to be able to reach. Yes, DS is frame 5 but I don't think that makes a difference. If it's true then it's an extremely small window. I'll check it out when I get a chance.
http://youtu.be/-8O1Ib-bsFM
^ Shows it true comboing (Lucina) Also that would've killed near the ledge, I tried it out myself earlier.
http://youtu.be/fmlQDmck4VE
^ Some Marth combos (kinda outdated?). The one below has better Marth combos.
http://youtu.be/Yr_7TpkIVP0
^ This was great. Combos for all FE chars. Didn't know marth could true combo nair to dair spike.

Last edited:

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
So how should I approach the Yoshi matchup? Lost to this Yoshi 2 days ago. Had the stock lead but lost it somehow. What maps do Yoshi mains prefer?

D

Deleted member

My apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, but does anyone have any tips on how to fight against Fox? I have a lot of trouble with this matchup whenever I'm Marth.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
http://youtu.be/-8O1Ib-bsFM
^ Shows it true comboing (Lucina) Also that would've killed near the ledge, I tried it out myself earlier.
http://youtu.be/fmlQDmck4VE
^ Some Marth combos (kinda outdated?). The one below has better Marth combos.
http://youtu.be/Yr_7TpkIVP0
^ This was great. Combos for all FE chars. Didn't know marth could true combo nair to dair spike.
Last video was cool. Yeah no doubt it's easy combo into a weak hit of DS but if you want the sweetspot it's very inconsistent. The video didn't prove otherwise.

So how should I approach the Yoshi matchup? Lost to this Yoshi 2 days ago. Had the stock lead but lost it somehow. What maps do Yoshi mains prefer?
Absolutely do not challenge the eggs. Sit in shield and find an opening. Keep him out. Don't get within his range of Jab or Usmash or his combo breaker/approaching Nair. Don't get in the air often. Marth isn't safe there and you have no reason to chase Yoshi. Try to get him offstage and use high knockback attacks to break through his double jump armor. He's really hard to kill on stage so it's really beneficial that you gimp him. Remember that his Fair extends his hurtbox a huge amount. When getting up from the ledge, don't do a normal getup because any good Yoshi will B-reverse command grab that and you'll fall and die as an egg (but if this does happen to you START MASHING but only by rotating the control stick fast so you don't SD when you get out). But overall remember that Yoshi is weak against shields with no easy way to grab or benefit from it where his main kill move is jab > smash attack at kill percents. If you do get grabbed a good Yoshi will go for grab release to jab.

Yoshi doesn't have any bad stages. They're all good. His best ones are Lylat (thanks to Dair), FD (thanks to Eggs), and BF (thanks to combos).

My apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, but does anyone have any tips on how to fight against Fox? I have a lot of trouble with this matchup whenever I'm Marth.
Also is a character that can't kill a shielder. Again, get him offstage and try to read his recovery and ledge choices. Fox is light and since he falls fast our combos (and juggles!) work great on him plus fast fallers die off the side easier. Also again, stay on the ground! Anytime you jump Fox will rush in and punish your landing with his frame 4 combo starter dash attack. Fox is really hard but play the same game you would against Falcon because they are both rushdown except with Fox you aren't afraid of shielding. If he uses Firefox for recovery usually the best thing to do is counter (or you can spike if he's going straight up).

I can't imagine that Fox sucks on any stages but in tourney, Fox mains always ban BF against me (even though they have broken Uair combos there).

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Last video was cool. Yeah no doubt it's easy combo into a weak hit of DS but if you want the sweetspot it's very inconsistent. The video didn't prove otherwise.
Well the video didn't disprove it...the only times he didn't get the sweetspot was when he was using nair and sometimes bair......not fair. Like I mentioned earlier, if you want the sweetspot your best bet is to hit with the upper swing of fair, either that or position yourself using jump properly. Besides my point was that it can true combo into the sweetspot (from my experience quite reliably), I was replying specifically to this lol
I can't imagine this being a true combo. Fair to Fair barely works (and only if you hit on frame 8 then frame 6 for the next Fair). If DS has such crappy range then Fair can't much knockback (KB = hitstun) for DS to be able to reach. Yes, DS is frame 5 but I don't think that makes a difference. If it's true then it's an extremely small window. I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Well the video didn't disprove it...the only times he didn't get the sweetspot was when he was using nair and sometimes bair......not fair. Like I mentioned earlier, if you want the sweetspot your best bet is to hit with the upper swing of fair, either that or position yourself using jump properly. Besides my point was that it can true combo into the sweetspot (from my experience quite reliably).
Sakurai angle aerials hit at a 45 degree angle (but it seems lower due to gravity) so hitting with the beginning of Fair to get DS probably means you have to double jump into DS. Correct?

However, to get the best frame advantage, you should hit with the end of Fair (then there's less cool-down) and because it's hitting slightly below Marth you probably don't need a double jump.

Last edited:

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Sakurai angle aerials hit at a 45 degree angle (but it seems lower due to gravity) so hitting with the beginning of Fair to get DS probably means you have to double jump into DS. Correct?

However, to get the best frame advantage, you should hit with the end of Fair (then there's less cool-down) and because it's hitting slightly below Marth you probably don't need a double jump.
Idk man :p, im just speaking from my own experience and from what I've seen, maybe its a DI thing (although I doubt people would DI down). I don't double jump after hitting with the upper swing of fair. Whenever I hit with the end of fair it knocks them too far away to get the sweetspot or even the DS at all.

Maybe think of it this way.....
-Hitting with the upper swing positions hits them while they are directly above you. The hit would send them forward and I guess gravity/weight would drag them down into a perfect postion for your DS.
-Hitting with the ending parts of the swing would mean hitting in the front. This positions them directly in front of you and only sends them out further.

Maybe this would be easier with Marth's sourspots, perhaps you could use the front swing too due to his lower knocback. (I've only done this with Lucina)

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Idk man :p, im just speaking from my own experience and from what I've seen, maybe its a DI thing (although I doubt people would DI down). I don't double jump after hitting with the upper swing of fair. Whenever I hit with the end of fair it knocks them too far away to get the sweetspot or even the DS at all.

Maybe think of it this way.....
-Hitting with the upper swing positions hits them while they are directly above you. The hit would send them forward and I guess gravity/weight would drag them down into a perfect postion for your DS.
-Hitting with the ending parts of the swing would mean hitting in the front. This positions them directly in front of you and only sends them out further.

Maybe this would be easier with Marth's sourspots, perhaps you could use the front swing too due to his lower knocback. (I've only done this with Lucina)
It doesn't make sense to think of it that way. Frame 8 and frame 6 are the same "amount of" in front of Marth. A 45 degree knockback angle is a 45 knockback angle no matter where the Fair hits. I thought of a different way this works for you. This works for you because you are rising with your Fair to hit them (using one of your jumps). That is how DS is still in range.

The sourspots don't change anything except % windows. Same with Lucina. Just different % windows. Edit: actually the sourspot does because you are launching them from an area closer to you rather than max range. So it would be easier to combo because you are allowed to do more knockback and still have DS reach

Last edited:

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
It doesn't make sense to think of it that way. Frame 8 and frame 6 are the same "amount of" in front of Marth. A 45 degree knockback angle is a 45 knockback angle no matter where the Fair hits. I thought of a different way this works for you. This works for you because you are rising with your Fair to hit them (using one of your jumps). That is how DS is still in range.
Hmmm that makes more sense :p

This is why I shouldn't be awake at 4am

Last edited:

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Excuse me if I say something stupid, like I said it's 4am here.

Does that still mean hitting with the upper part of the swing will lead to the DS better than the front? What I mean is hitting with the innermost part of the blade which would have to be the upper end (since the innermost bottom end sends them backwards). Hitting with the innermost part means that the opponent is closer to you after the hit, if the opponent is hit with the front part of the swing they are already in a position that is further away, knockback and angle is the same no matter where you hit with the fair and that would mean their final position is dependant on how close they where to you in the first place when they where launched by the fair (and the innermost part is the upper part). And like you said I am using rising fair so wouldn't that level me out with the opponent (for a DS) after hitting with the upper swing?

(edit: I'm basically trying to rephrase what you said before in the way that I understand it and asking if it's correct.)

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Excuse me if I say something stupid, like I said it's 4am here.

Does that still mean hitting with the upper part of the swing will lead to the DS better than the front? What I mean is hitting with the innermost part of the blade which would have to be the upper end (since the innermost bottom end sends them backwards). Hitting with the innermost part means that the opponent is closer to you after the hit, if the opponent is hit with the front part of the swing they are already in a position that is further away, knockback and angle is the same no matter where you hit with the fair and that would mean their final position is dependant on how close they where to you in the first place when they where launched by the fair (and the innermost part is the upper part). And like you said I am using rising fair so wouldn't that level me out with the opponent (for a DS) after hitting with the upper swing?

(edit: I'm basically trying to rephrase what you said before in the way that I understand it and asking if it's correct.)
You are thinking of it in a weird way. Just know that frame 6 is above, frame 7 is in front, frame 8 is below and that's that (and all 3 have inner hitboxes for up-close). It's better to hit at a later frame. It's like this: if i hit on frame 6, I wait for the end lag, then use use DS where the sweepspot hits on frames 5-6 (we'll say 5). If I hit on frame 8, we are closer to the ending of Fair. It's AS IF DS hits on frame 3.

Also you get sent behind only if your ECB is in front of the other character. Fair's inner hitboxes are so few/small in smash 4 that you'll rarely send someone backwards with it.

Last edited:

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
You are thinking of in a weird way. Just know that frame 6 is above, frame 7 is in front, frame 8 is below and that's that (and all 3 have inner hitboxes for up-close). It's better to hit at a later frame. It's like this: if i hit on frame 6, I wait for the end lag, then use use DS where the sweepspot hits on frames 5-6 (we'll say 5). If I hit on frame 8, we are closer to the ending of Fair. It's AS IF DS hits on frame 3.

Also you get sent behind only if your ECB is in front of the other character. Fair's inner hitboxes are so few/small in smash 4 that you'll rarely send someone backwards with it.
Diss on my diagram and I will kill you...
image.png

See, even if hitting on frame 8 would allow me to use DS sooner after hitting the opponent, the position the opponent was in the first place means they would be launched into a bad place for DS to hit. Even if frame 6 means I have to use DS a little later after hitstun it has the opponent at a perfect position for DS to hit and it true combos anyway. This is for a rising fair.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Diss on my diagram and I will kill you...
View attachment 78924

See, even if hitting on frame 8 would allow me to use DS sooner after hitting the opponent, the position the opponent was in the first place means they would be launched into a bad place for DS to hit. Even if frame 6 means I have to use DS a little later after hitstun it has the opponent at a perfect position for DS to hit and it true combos anyway. This is for a rising fair.
Lol at the diagram. Beautiful sword trail. But anyway, that's your diagram. Who knows what happens in a real match. You might be almost done rising. They might be so deep inside of you it won't matter which frame it hits. They might DI weird. They might even be vectoring some direction. And there's the fact that every character will be launched differently. There is no point in discussing it this far. All we have are facts.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Lol at the diagram. Beautiful sword trail. But anyway, that's your diagram. Who knows what happens in a real match. You might be almost done rising. They might be so deep inside of you it won't matter which frame it hits. They might DI weird. They might even be vectoring some direction. And there's the fact that every character will be launched differently. There is no point in discussing it this far. All we have are facts.
Ty, I worked hard on it xD.

This is a diagram of what generally happens in a real match when I do the combo (and specifically the combo so the spacing/timing on everything is precise like when I use the fair or how I'm rising or how deep they are inside me (that didn't come out right), I'm not just talking about throwing out a random fair mid-match way too many factors to that, this is when I do the combo, I'm deciding the direction im going, to some extent my opponent, how I rise, etc), characters may be launched differently or they may DI wierd but it isn't that drastic of a change at these percents.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Whoa, the DB to continue that footstool combo.
Meh, I'm still not experienced enough at the game to be going for those kinds of things. If I try to practice those, I'll end up fishing for them in very unsafe ways. That was really cool that you found an opportunity to use it, though.
I understand that things like that is pretty much improvisation when you factor in DI/vectoring, so I guess my problem might be online lag. Being a wifi warrior is such a hard, non-optimal way to play, man.

College though! God, apps are stressful. I REALLY hope I get into UNC though, they at least have a Smash scene that's bigger than the one at my current high school (consists of pretty much me and one other person who plays Hearthstone and LoL now). I've went to UNC ~two times for tournaments (only played friendlies and watched people though), and there were some really experienced Brawl Toons there.
That's obviously not the only reason I want UNC though. Heh.

Well... I really hope to meet some smashers at whatever college I may go to who I can actually learn something from. Or at least be my training partner.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Whoa, the DB to continue that footstool combo.
Meh, I'm still not experienced enough at the game to be going for those kinds of things. If I try to practice those, I'll end up fishing for them in very unsafe ways. That was really cool that you found an opportunity to use it, though.
I understand that things like that is pretty much improvisation when you factor in DI/vectoring, so I guess my problem might be online lag. Being a wifi warrior is such a hard, non-optimal way to play, man.

College though! God, apps are stressful. I REALLY hope I get into UNC though, they at least have a Smash scene that's bigger than the one at my current high school (consists of pretty much me and one other person who plays Hearthstone and LoL now). I've went to UNC ~two times for tournaments (only played friendlies and watched people though), and there were some really experienced Brawl Toons there.
That's obviously not the only reason I want UNC though. Heh.

Well... I really hope to meet some smashers at whatever college I may go to who I can actually learn something from. Or at least be my training partner.
Lol to picking a college based on the smash scene. I wish I had done that. No joke.

Halfminded

Smash Journeyman
Lol to picking a college based on the smash scene. I wish I had done that. No joke.
Unfortunately, I didn't start thinking about smash scenes until I was already in college.
Fourtunately, there were at least upperclassmen that knew how to play.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Huh. Smash has been an obsession for the past ~two years for me, so it might be good to consider Smash scenes as a factor (albeit, a low-priority one) in deciding colleges. My history teacher said that his #1 deciding factor that took several colleges off HIS list was that his college HAD to have a pizzeria nearby. Interesting guy. But yeah, why not? I really, really want to be able to play offline with others.
Is there really any way to check and compare scenes though? I think I'll just safely assume that most colleges have some people who are really interested in Smash. Eh.

Also, I'm pretty sure PPMD used to go to UNC. He's one of my friend's friend's neighbors, actually, although I've never met him.
It's weird sometimes to think of these "gods" in Smash and remembering that they're just people.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Yeah. But I am lucky that Michigan has a pretty lively, and still-growing scene. Though I do have to drive further than I want to; often in traffic.

Halfminded

Smash Journeyman
Huh. Smash has been an obsession for the past ~two years for me, so it might be good to consider Smash scenes as a factor (albeit, a low-priority one) in deciding colleges. My history teacher said that his #1 deciding factor that took several colleges off HIS list was that his college HAD to have a pizzeria nearby. Interesting guy. But yeah, why not? I really, really want to be able to play offline with others.
Is there really any way to check and compare scenes though? I think I'll just safely assume that most colleges have some people who are really interested in Smash. Eh..
I know the factor that made the final decision between my last few picks was if their band was any good or not. I'm not a music major, but I didn't want to play in a booty-tier band.

Also this may or may not help, but you can try looking for a subreddit of whatever school you're interested in and do a search for smash. That how I found out the uni 15 minutes away made a smash club.

Last edited:

Adamas

Smash Cadet
NNID
BackupAdamas
Forgive me for asking, but what nerfs did Marth receive that Lucina did not? I've been out of the Sm4sh loop for a few weeks.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Forgive me for asking, but what nerfs did Marth receive that Lucina did not? I've been out of the Sm4sh loop for a few weeks.
Marth and Lucina received the same 5 shield HP Shield Breaker nerf last patch. You should now only go for a shield break when you have already significantly damaged a shield. At full shield HP you almost need it fully charged to break a shield (not exaggerating). If there's 42 shield HP and SB now does damage + 25 (instead of +30), think about how much damage you have to charge SB to to break a full shield.

Last edited:

Ako.

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlippinFilipino
so going to a regional tournament tomorrow with at least 80 entrants and we are doing round robin pools. there are 4 other players in my pool. the 1st seed is a megaman player, and the 3rd seed is a puff and falcon players. Any tips vs these characters will be highly appreciated, especially vs megaman since i have little experience against him.

Edit: scratch that my pool been changed. There a pickachu and yoshi player. And shaky the ness player is in my pool. Any tips on those characters would be helpful

Last edited:
Top Bottom