• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Section Approaching: Smashboards Guides!

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Hey Smashers! Today we're proud to announce a brand new section on the website, in the form of Guides! This section will serve as the home for detailed character guides crafted by your fellow players.

As the section develops, we'll be featuring the best of the best guides for every character to help new players learn everything you have to teach them when it comes to playing your favorite characters.

If you've written a guide in the past, or are interested in sharing your knowledge of a character in the form of a guide, simply visit the Guides section and select your game on the left. From there, you'll be able to choose from the list of characters and then you can select 'Create Guide'. Guides will automatically generate a discussion topic in the corresponding character discussion sub-forum.

As an added incentive during the launch of the Guides system, we're also announcing an official contest! Guide writers will have a shot at cash prizes!

Top Rated Guide: All users can rate a guide and each guide will have a cumulative rating based on these reviews. The guide that has the best rating on November 15, 2014 (11:59PM PT) with at least 50 players having rated it will receive $100.

Top Voted Guides: After the Top Rated Guide is determined, we'll set up a submission topic in the guides forum. Guide writers must submit their guide to the topic by December 1, 2014. After the submission deadline, we'll make a public poll that any member can vote in - the two guides with the top votes by December 10th will win cash! The top voted guide wins $100, the second most voted guide wins $50!

UPDATE: The rules for the "Top Voted Guide" have changed slightly. Please view this update for more details.

Smashboards has always been the home of the community, and the hub of the incredible wealth of knowledge contained within. We hope this new addition helps curate some of that knowledge into a more digestible form for all of our users, past, present and future.

Last edited by a moderator:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Hmm. Moveset guides or general strategy guides? I'd love to contribute, but I want to know my limitations.

Pebbicle

Smash Cadet
This is a really great initiative! While I'm nowhere skilled enough to be teaching other players, I'll be looking forward to reading your guides!

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Hmm. Moveset guides or general strategy guides? I'd love to contribute, but I want to know my limitations.
All of the above! The section is broken down by game, and then by character. You can submit a guide for whatever it is you think is important for a character main to know.

There's also an 'All' category below all the games for general or fundamental guides applicable across games and such.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
All of the above! The section is broken down by game, and then by character. You can submit a guide for whatever it is you think is important for a character main to know.

There's also an 'All' category below all the games for general or fundamental guides applicable across games and such.
Wonderful. There'll be some content from me soon.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Super awesome!

I totally want to add my PSI Magnet guide to the Ness section, but I have to test all the custom moves lol. Is it okay if we put a WIP note in the title/top of the OP, or should I just wait? The stuff I have done is for regular Magnet with regular moves.

Last edited:

MistFist

Smash Cadet
Very good decision Smashboards i really like that now we can teach the next generation to be great smashers :) very glad and great way to learn more as well

16N1K4

Smash Rookie
NNID
16N1K4
3DS FC
1693-1030-4430
This is a fantastic idea! It's a great way to help people who want to make the transition from a casual player to a competitive one (like me!). I look forward to some topnotch content!

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Super awesome!

I totally want to add my PSI Magnet guide to the Ness section, but I have to test all the custom moves lol. Is it okay if we put a WIP note in the title/top of the OP, or should I just wait? The stuff I have done is for regular Magnet with regular moves.
You can edit your guide whenever you like, and even make formal 'Updates' to them to build up a changelog

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Brilliant idea. I spent the whole past weekend trying to learn Pac-Man and the guide thread in the Pac-Man character forum was immensely helpful so having more guides like that and with easy access, learning new characters should be more comfortable for myself and others.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Very nice, good feature to pull from LOL sites. Guides from high profile people like M2K would probably get the site a looot of views, haha.

Boomhound

Smash Apprentice
New players are always asking questions that have long been answered, this will fix this problem along with making searching for something specific much easier. Hope this encourages a revamp to existing guides also :)

Metarai

Smash Apprentice
This is great, it was sometimes a pain to look for guides from the search bar. Not every person knows where to look for guides, and this should help bring out the best guides from the not so great ones.

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to see guides for creating or using custom content included in this system as well.

Rickhaos

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rickhaos
3DS FC
0576-4749-8803
Realy nice :O ! This will be wounderfull for people like me, who want to learn basics, combos and matchups of certain characters.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
this is pretty good. Make those guides hidden deep in the forums more accessible

XKan

Smash Apprentice
I wrote a very in-depth FAQ for Lucina, but on gameFAQs as this wasn't a feature here at the time...

Is there a possibility to use the same content but reformat it to fit this forum? Or would there be some sort of self-copyright issue? XD

TheNinjaFreak

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheNinjaFreak
Is it just me that notices SmashBoards adding stuff like crazy? I feel like a little boy on christmas morning!

beestmode

Smash Cadet
I think this is a great idea! This will help all players become better or help with info on characters they want to know more about.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
This is actually really cool expect a nice sheik guide in the near future.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Sorry to quote again, but now that I think about it, would a guide for items, fit in the All category? I know that those guides are meant to improve characters and fundamentals, but I do sincerely think that an item/Assist Trophy/Poke Ball guide would be nice to have, even if it would be largely disregarded. And since I would theoretically make it for U/3DS only and not Brawl, it would be out of place. Maybe a small section for miscellaneous in the U/3DS section?

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Sorry to quote again, but now that I think about it, would a guide for items, fit in the All category? I know that those guides are meant to improve characters and fundamentals, but I do sincerely think that an item/Assist Trophy/Poke Ball guide would be nice to have, even if it would be largely disregarded. And since I would theoretically make it for U/3DS only and not Brawl, it would be out of place. Maybe a small section for miscellaneous in the U/3DS section?
I'll see how we want to handle something like this

KrymsonSkyz

Smash Apprentice
Sounds interesting I guess...but there are already character guides though, is the only thing different this rating feature?

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
Hmm. I like this idea, it'll improve not only my game but others as well. I might try my hand at making one of these...maybe.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Warchamp7 Warchamp7 , is there any way to implement or submit an existing guide that's already in a character forum or do I have to create the same guide again in the new category?

Last edited:

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Warchamp7 Warchamp7 , is there any way to implement or submit an existing guide that's already in a character forum or do I have to create the same guide again in the new category?
1000x this. I just wrote a guide for Pit, and I'd like to not copy/paste it over.
I'm afraid not, you'll need to resubmit it to the actual guides system

TreK

Is "that guy"
Are there going to be game specific guides, instead of character specific guides ? In example, if I want to talk about crouch cancelling in PM, do I just post it in my character's section ?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Expect some stuff to come up on Smash 4 Wario, Little Mac, and PM Wario in the near future. I sure do like recognition and money.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
Alright, I'm doing Smash 4 Dr. Mario for my guide, he has some cool stuff that some folks don't realize. Hopefully my guide will do him justice. :)

Top Bottom