• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondaries for ROB

TeeVee

Smash Lord
w.e low tiers and most mid tiers are free to me with rob lol, dont really feel like wasting my time theory crafting just giving my opinion from experience. being 2 - 0 with the best yoshi in the country at the time (green ace) and 3 - 0 vs the best zelda in the country (ri0t) and ****ting on just about every other low tier main ive faced other than friendlies with san at apex...thats just how i feel.

Bees!

Smash Ace
imo I think Peach can be tougher than ZSS, my last tourney match with KingBeef he had a rather effective way of shutting me down.

Basically she wins up close, with a Jab that beats the crap outta ours, and her float approaches avoid tilts. If you try to Fair her float you will easily eat her Fair, which reaches our extended hurtboxes through disjoint. And to top it off, you cant beat the priority of her Up-B, making her tough to gimp.
Peach is easy. I play MenoUnderwater(He took a game off of Mikehaze) quite frequent and almost always win in tourney. That MU is in our advantage imo. I guess since I play him so much I just know the MU.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Peach is easy. I play MenoUnderwater (He took a game off of Mikehaze) quite frequent and almost always win in tourney. That MU is in our advantage imo. I guess since I play him so much I just know the MU.
and I play King Beef alot, we usually go even or I win, but when I fought him at SiiS3 he beat the crap outta me, and it didnt seem like an off day for me. It may have been a combination of me playing the MU wrong and him being on fire, idk but he made that a much tougher MU than its ever felt like before.

or KB's just that much better than Meno, just sayin.

inb4peachdrama

Bees!

Smash Ace
lolz could be. Either way I haven't had too much trouble in the MU. I would have to fight King Beef to know.

Bees!

Smash Ace
You just have to keep away from her. She cannot get in if you space correctly. Also fAirs really screw her up.

Kid Nino

Smash Cadet
Personally, for fights against D3 I tend to use Pikachu. But I have been known to handle the D3 matchup with R.O.B. without too much trouble.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
ROB has some rather exploitable openings even he spaces/camps/zones as safe as he can, and Peach has just the right "quick-to-the-punch" qualities to exploit said openings. If she gets inside, her shield pressure/frame advantage on Rob's shield/OoS options will make his player cringe. Her jab beats anything of his up close. She can easily smash DI his d-smash, float right above the rest of its animation right next to ROB, and punish with any aerial; And other things I won't reveal quite yet. xD

If the Peach is good with powershielding (ask Sil, nearly all lasers/gyros were powershielded or avoided during our most recent set, which resulted in me taking little damage on approach, which is something ROB tends to fall back on considering his own approach is "meh" at best), patient on approach (preferably grounded), and knows all of the little frame advantages she has on him; I'm quite confident that this matchup is in Peach's favor with said circumstances present. This is all player dependent of course.

I honestly don't believe Meno plays the matchup correctly, or at least in the most effective method possible. His style is incredible for zoning and he does well against a good amount of characters (including MK) with said style, but for characters like ROB I don't find it to be particularly effective. I could be wrong, but that's my guess based on what I've seen from his style in conjunction to Bees' game.

Bees!

Smash Ace

I honestly don't believe Meno plays the matchup correctly, or at least in the most effective method possible. His style is incredible for zoning and he does well against a good amount of characters (including MK) with said style, but for characters like ROB I don't find it to be particularly effective. I could be wrong, but that's my guess based on what I've seen from his style in conjunction to Bees' game.
I assume that is a compliment. so thanks! And you could be right. however I have taught him the MU taught him what to punish, exploit and what to do/not to do. I would say he knows the MU pretty good. But anyways I will have to fight more Peaches to know. Personally though I wanna say its even or near. Especially if Peach floats, because its easy to exploit her terrible airdodge with lasers. She would have to remain grounded. fAir oos covers ROBs blindspot on the ground, ftilt shuts down both aerial approaches and outranges Peach on the ground. dtilt is godly at keeping peach out. Also bAir owns Peach offstage. I would say that once the Peach gets in she can do her share of damage. However landing that kill is pretty hard because of lack of kill power+ROBs weight.
You might be right about Meno, however I still think the MU is pretty even.

ROB has some rather exploitable openings even he spaces/camps/zones as safe as he can, and Peach has just the right "quick-to-the-punch" qualities to exploit said openings. If she gets inside,
I guess we kind of agree then. The one thing I will say is that bAir makes it very hard for Peach to get in, mix it up with various tilts and gyro game and its not so easy. But ya once peach gets in she does a toll on ROB.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
For all you Robots. If you want a secondary, DO NOT PICK MK. It's the last thing you want to do. I did that and now I am stuck with MK. I am happy with that, but you probably don't want to main MK.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Go and think playing MK is easy and you get free wins. You don't know how wrong you are. MK is not a **** wifi Snake, he is a character.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I've been running Rob/G&W/DDD as my main Tournament fair for a long time. G&W covers most everything that's really bad for ROB. I switch to MK when I feel like not trying and DDD is mostly for Wario.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
I've been running Rob/G&W/DDD as my main Tournament fair for a long time. G&W covers most everything that's really bad for ROB. I switch to MK when I feel like not trying and DDD is mostly for Wario.
What exactly does GW cover? I only find him useful on certain stages such as RC and Brinstar myself. Peach mu as well, but thats about all.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
GW works really well for DDD if you know what you're doing. Considering I play both, I do know what I'm doing in the matchup. I've always gone ROB on Peach though except for maybe one time against Nicole. ROB served me just fine against Kos-Mos so I've never felt a need to switch to other characters for that matchup. I also run G&W on MK since I'm terrible at the ditto but I'm very good at the GW/MK matchup. He's also very good for teams, though I use them interchangeably.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Go and think playing MK is easy and you get free wins. You don't know how wrong you are. MK is not a **** wifi Snake, he is a character.
I've played with him in the 2008/2009 (only in the very beggining of that year) before, but he was so easy to win with (both offline and online) so I quitted playing him LoL. A Meta Knight should never ever lose, even if the opponent can the whole MK MU. Also, his metagame hasn't evolved since then...

TeeVee

Smash Lord
if you arnt beating good people with your main....you wont beat good people when you use mk lol.

I have a tendency to gravitate towards mid-tier characters... that would explain my toonlink, zamus, and lucario. Only exceptions to this are snake and jigglypuff lol.

TeeVee, you aren't completelly right on that... peoples' mains are usually their mains for psychological reasons, and not for competitive reasons. Or at least, at first. Why do Ganon mains main Ganon? There's obviously no logical or practical reason, so you can safely assume a good 99% of the time that they simply like the character. Now then, this is where secondaries come in. Secondaries can also be psychological outcomes, but more often than not, they are when the player gets competitive, so to speak. They're only there for whatever their mains can't handle competitively. Hence, they are second to their mains. Your job can be bringing in money while your parents just love you; you prefer your parents over your job; this doesn't mean that your parents are always going to be their to give you a roof to sleep under.

Why would one main ROB? One could just as easily main MK if he wanted to win.

Why would one have MK as a secondary? MK is better that ROB, so it's illogical to have him as a secondary, a supplement to ROB, a worse character, who is your main.

I'm sorry for over analyzing that.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
bad players will still be bad players when they switch to mk. they will just beat other bad players who dont use mk. they will not beat good players who use other characters.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
I get the whole point of playing to win but when everyone is picking characters solely for the purpose of winning rather than simply enjoying the character it takes the fun out of things.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
LoL, I've never ever said that, and if you don't have evidence, then you fail. Stop looking for a provocation Ahvena. >_>

-LzR-

Smash Hero
What evidence? 99% of people know that MK is not unwinnable and easy way to achieve 1st place in every tourney.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
What evidence? 99% of people know that MK is not unwinnable and easy way to achieve 1st place in every tourney.
Don't talk away from the subject, you said King Dedede.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Kind Dedede was just a reference to your argument saying he is cheap, which he is by far not.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
But say the truth then, it seems like cheap = broken for you. Stop it. >_>

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The word cheap is widely regarded as a noobs way to complain about a tactic or a character they cannot stop. Please use the word annoying or, even better, the word powerful instead so someone just might read the rest of your post without exploding into uncontrollable laughter.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
OP sounds so much better. King Dedede is over powered and his chaingrab is really cheap.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
He has good damage output, but he's also slow, and it's hard for him to get a grab if his opponent is smart. Dedede has no problems in his design, imo.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Exactly like the above posted.
Also, I don't see Dedede having any result either and the CG is not the biggest problem against Dedede. Try to get around his aerial wall and you'll see.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Hmmm with secondaries. How does Pika sound? Not much if at all better than ROB(roughly same amount of character flaws, just less severe ones.) Pika does well vs D3 so I hear and Flaco?) Not too worried about Mk as I am those 2. MK may be bad. But I am with Chibo on this one. Its not as bad as people think. Also my personal opinion that if ROBs step it up and master many of the technicals shown to us by ROBs like Ocean, ROBs metagame will finally start to catch up to the rest of the cast above him in the tier list.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Hmmm with secondaries. How does Pika sound? Not much if at all better than ROB(roughly same amount of character flaws, just less severe ones.) Pika does well vs D3 so I hear and Flaco?) Not too worried about Mk as I am those 2. MK may be bad. But I am with Chibo on this one. Its not as bad as people think. Also my personal opinion that if ROBs step it up and master many of the technicals shown to us by ROBs like Ocean, ROBs metagame will finally start to catch up to the rest of the cast above him in the tier list.
Pika is my secondary. He does have the better MUs vs DDD, Falco, Snake (slightly), Wolf (lol), Fox, MK slightly ( I don't think MK:ROB is any worse than 6:4, MK:pika is 55:45 or almost even on some stages.)

The only one not named MK that is maybe a slightest hindrance to this team is Lucario, but it isn't too bad.

Top Bottom