• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Season's Beatings II: 11/3, Columbus, OH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghaleon

Smash Apprentice
****************************Fugee + Ghaleon Productions*****************************

Our Ohio major is back, a little early this year -- Smash has had a fantastic showing the last two tourneys we ran here at the ultra-hype MoMo's venue, let's continue the trend!
As always, help/input/equipment from the Smash community is essential and encouraged!

Along with Mr. Wong and the usual suspects, expect a few new names to be in attendance. We'll update when we have the traveller confirmations, but we're looking to get some EC vs. WC action right here in OHIO.

Date: Saturday, November 3, 2007

2895 Olentangy River Rd, Columbus, OH 43202
(614) 784-0888
-- Also a Wi-Fi hotspot. Bring that DS, Justin plays Tetris too

Venue pics:
http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/poononastick/momo/

Trailer: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1130632mmCKYJbS?confirmed=1

This is the same venue we hosted at in December and April-- the tourney and the place were massive successes, and we're making sure everyone has a great time again.

(Google maps yo): http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&a...er+Rd,+Columbus

Red Roof Inn: (614) 846-3001
http://www.redroof.com/rr/check-availability.do?property=0310&numberOfAdults=&arrivalDate=&departureDate=&BTR=&redicardNumber=&corporatePlusNumber=&travelAgentNumber=

FLYER 1:
Season's Beatings II: Battle of the Titans (FRONT)
Season's Beatings II: Battle of the Titans (BACK)

There is a $10 entry fee for the venue.
All tournament games have a $10 entry fee. Registration begins at 11 a.m, doors open then for casuals.
Look for some added bonuses this time (door prizes, raffles -- TBD).

Capcom vs. SNK 2 (PS2) -- 12:30 p.m.
Tekken 5 DR (PS3) -- 12:30 p.m.
Guilty Gear X2 Accent Core (PS2) -- 12:30 p.m.
Smash Bros. Melee (GC) --1 p.m.
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (DC) -- 3 p.m. **$500 pot bonus.
SFIII: 3rd Strike (PS2) -- 4:30 p.m.
Super SFII Turbo (DC) -- 5:30 p.m.
Guitar Hero II (PS2) -- 5:30 p.m.

EVENTS: World's Greatest 3 showdown in MvC2 & more

Guitar Hero II is tentative; we expect mad casual interest in a tournament.

Payouts will be 70/20/10

Those of you who know me, know that we are strictly business. So there will be NO mishandling of funds, waiting on checks to clear, 3rd-party mishaps, low-turnout excuses, etc. You will leave with MONEY you win!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rules:

All tournaments will be double-elimination format. 2/3, 3/5 winner's/loser's finals, 4/7 GF.
We're using the Evo standard for all games.

This is a BYOC (Bring Your Own Controller/Converter/Joystick) event.

The following rules apply:

If the start button is hit or a malfunction with your equipment occurs, causing the game to pause or reset during a match within the first 5 secs, the match WILL be restarted. However if after ec point then your opponent will have the opportunity to take the 1st win or reset the match, advantage or not.

Button mapping is allowed. Having 2 or 3 buttons combined into ONE is banned
(e.g. No 3x punch/kick mapped to L1, etc.). GG/DR are exempt from this rule.

SSBM --
-- Double Elimination bracket
-- Matches are best of 3, semis and loser's finals are best of 5, with grand finals best of 7
-- 4 stock, 8-minute limit
-- Ties broken by lives, then percentage
-- Items OFF
-- Singles $10/person/Teams $10/person (if time/interest allows. A well-run event should leave plenty of time, like our last tourney did)

-Stages/Characters:
-- Stages limited to the 6 neutral stages for random, others open for counterpicks.
-- Neutral stages: Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64, Pokemon Stadium.
-- Stages banned: Yoshi's Island, MKI, MKII, Venom, Big Blue, Flatzone, Icicle Mountain, Hyrule Temple, Fourside, Brinstar Depths, Termina, Onett and Yoshi's Island 64
-- Dave's Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single match, either by random select or by picking
-- Stage Strike: Each person strikes one stage for the entire set. This stage must be selected at the beginning of the match, after initial characters have been chosen.
-- Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters
-- Double Blind pick may be called at any time

-Team Specific Rules:
-- Team Attack ON
-- Life stealing allowed
-- Fountain of Dreams and Mute City banned

-Other SSBM Rules:

-- Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), excluding cosmetic changes (paint, stickers, different colored plastic, etc.), are BANNED. If you are found to be using a modded controller, you will not be able to use that controller for the rest of the tournament.
--Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch that freezes the match or makes it in any way unfinishable, are banned. Using them will result in the immediate forfeiture of the match.
-- Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath) to excessively stall a match is banned

3S -- Winner keeps the same character, but can change super art. Loser can change everything. JUDGEMENT CANNOT DECIDE A MATCH!!

MvC2 -- No game-breaking glitches (you know what they are); Juggs' glitch allowed. Winner keeps the SAME team/SAME order. Loser can change everything.

T5:DR -- Players must agree on a stage. If not, random stage select will be in effect. Winner keeps same character, loser may change.

ST -- no Akuma, Turbo 3

Don't miss a chance to test your mettle against the biggest names in fighting games.

Please pre-register your SSB name, city/st and games if you plan to attend, so brackets can be filled in advance. Registering the day of is allowed but not encouraged -- don't complain about where you fit into the bracket. If you're traveling, give us the names of your crew and their games.

More info soon. Any questions, post here or PM fugee or Ghaleon (AIM: GhaleonUnlimited).

Please let us know if you can provide extra TVs/systems. Especially For Smash to run smooth we're going to again need the community's help on providing systems/TVs. We'll provide all the space needed, with an even better setup this time.

Thanks to all for supporting our last two tournies, we're starting to put Ohio on the fighter map. We look forward to seeing everyone again, and plenty of newcomers too. GET HYPE!

Kel

Smash Master
I'm gonna register again.

Payouts should be 40 30 20 10 IMHO. 70 20 10 is such a huge drop off for just a slight bit of bad luck or something dumb happening.

Ghaleon

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if Smash has a tourney standard payout, but that's been SRK standard for years. If I get more comments about Smash always pays differently or something we might think about a switch, but it didn't seem to be an issue the last two we ran. We're trying to get sponsorships to throw a little more $$ on the table as bonus though.

The problem with that layout is there's barely a premium for winning.

Kel

Smash Master
it's 10% extra of the prize pot. And what about 2nd place? They went through all those matches and stuff just to get froed? I don't know, I've always thought that it shouldn't be that big of a difference between 1st and 2nd. I also think 4th should at least get their money back.

I've spoken with a couple Midwesterners about this, so if they'd speak up then maybe we could get a wider viewpoint.

Big_R

Smash Champion
Man this is too close to me to be going to crazy out of state things. I will have to go here. Mathos is running it too? I wonder if any other CoKsmen are going to that circuit event.

Kel

Smash Master
Mathos probably doesn't know it's on the same day as an event.Mathos is very reverandt about his circuit.

Big_R

Smash Champion
Mathos probably doesn't know it's on the same day as an event.Mathos is very reverandt about his circuit.
That's true. Going to St Louie for a 34 man tourny. But who knows, he likes running tournys, and he runs it completely at these. Plus the dates for these tournys never really change. We will have to see.

Drephen

Smash Master
there is a osu football game on this day, and they use that parking lot sometimes right next to MoMo's. Might wanna look into that

Ghaleon

Smash Apprentice
Sorry about the date for Smash guys, but I think we're pretty locked in. Sucks many of you can't make it, but we'll make it a top-tier smash event best in any case. GL at your circuit. The tourney after this we hope to see all the major players back (early Spring).

Quick update: This is an OSU gameday, but it doesn't start till 3:30, so getting to the venue on time should not be a problem for travellers. If you want to catch the game, MoMo's has a number of plasma TVs on the wall and comfy upholstry.

kiwiii

Smash Lord
i might be coming to this. if so, i'm flying in a couple of days earlier. housing, anyone? =[

i hope CoK shows up !!

::edit::
im going to kick justin wong's *** at tetris. believe it.

kiwiii

Smash Lord
"-- Also a Wi-Fi hotspot. Bring that DS, Justin plays Tetris too"

tetris DS!
he'll have it :D
i love u mathos haha

Sliq

Smash Master
Cincinnati will be attending Viperboy's tournament unless some dates are changed, which they won't be.

I will be missing 2 local tournaments now for MWC Events. MOTHER****ER.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's a possibility I will show up.

I do think payout should be

That seems the most fair.

mathos

Smash Champion
Cincinnati will be attending Viperboy's tournament unless some dates are changed, which they won't be.

I will be missing 2 local tournaments now for MWC Events. MOTHER****ER.

What a scrub. I didn't know Columbus is considered local for Cincy.

Ghaleon

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone, please note a couple minor changes and a BIG one: date is changed to November 3 to eliminate the conflict btw SSBM and GG majors. Mathos & crew should be able to make it and keep everything running smoothly :)

Also note we'll have some events that could make videogaming an actual spectator sport -- the three best MvC2 players in the world will be doing a special round robin, and we'll have more to come from national powerhouses in multiple games.

We're making plenty of progress at making this an annual major, so hopefully the Smash scene will continue to grow as well (we're grateful for your heavy support so far)!

kiwiii

Smash Lord
gaaaaaaaaaaaaaawdddd dammmmmit

=/

someone link me to viperboy's tournamnent? ROFL

dunno if i'll be attending this one anymore ..
'tis the weekend before my bday :x ghey
good luck with the turnout!

Big_R

Smash Champion
nice viperboy's should be fun and this this is always good. now i have to talk to cok tho and see what goes on with that.

mathos

Smash Champion
Lolz a video is 222good. Smash interviews phail, but we'll see what I can do when not put on the spot.

Ghaleon

Smash Apprentice
It's cool -- think about how weak I look to the fighting game scene -- the footage of Justin beating me in 3s g. finals with the worst char in the game (Sean) on there, haha.

update: The tourney will now be two days, but this shouldn't affect Smash at all. We're reserving Sunday to finish any special events or do semis/finals that run over on Saturday.

Also, we are doing GHII for sure. We'll post details soon. But we found one of the main local GH organizers to help us out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom