• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Searching for a secondary

Blad01

Smash Lord
Hello all !

I'm a Ganondorf and Falco mainer, and i'm searching a secondary in this moment...

I would like a character that i like and that can counter G&W, in priority. (The only match-up where i'm afraid of losing... :p) And maybe ICs, but well, no-one can beat them... (Joke ^^).

I don't want to main SNake / Mk / Ice Climbers. (And i don't like Marth very much...)

> The characters i like but can't be this secondary :

- Link
- Fox
- Sheik
- Ness

> The characters i'm studying for being this secondary :

- R.O.B
- Donkey Kong

So yeah, which character would you recommand to me as a secondary for Falco ? Thanks :)

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
I'd prefer R.O.B. over DK. He has two really good projectiles. His spotdodge > Dsmash is amazing. His recovery is infinitely better than DK's. And although R.O.B. doesn't kill very well, he makes up for it by being able to chase off the stage for a good edge guarding game.

Blad01

Smash Lord
I'd prefer R.O.B. over DK. He has two really good projectiles. His spotdodge > Dsmash is amazing. His recovery is infinitely better than DK's. And although R.O.B. doesn't kill very well, he makes up for it by being able to chase off the stage for a good edge guarding game.
Yeah, but you know, ROB is pretty similar to Falco, but is more defensive...

I'm searching for a character who can counters effectively G&W, i'm not choosing a new main ;)

clowsui

Smash Legend
Counters GW? ROB is a good choice as a secondary. In all respects he is the ultimate counterpick for many characters, so when people go low tier on you just pick ROB; his assets pretty much murder everyone that has lower potential than Fox.

clowsui

Smash Legend
True, but ROB has a ridiculous spotdodge plus some outright broken moves (dsmash, upB, bair, fair, laser, gyro)

AlCaTraz644

Smash Apprentice
I agree go with ROB i don't like neither of them but ROB is the better choice. YOU could just watch videos of two characters and find which one that fits your play style.

Even go so far as to find G&W worst or at least difficult match up and make your decision there.

Blad01

Smash Lord
And apart hese two guys, which character would you recommend to me ? :)

Marth seems to have good match-ups against G&W and ICs...

D

Deleted member

Try actually playing as GaW. I find him to synergy really well with Falco in terms of counter picks and move set similarity. I semi-mained him for a while, hes not hard to pick up at all.

AlCaTraz644

Smash Apprentice
And apart hese two guys, which character would you recommend to me ? :)

Marth seems to have good match-ups against G&W and ICs...
I thought you didn't want to play as marth,but if you do totally go for marth he has good range mixups, and also give good damage , fair gives him a good way to approach enemies so does dancing blades,and his nair. he just doesn't have a extremely good recovery.

THOUGH USING FAIR and dancing blades provides a good way to come the ledge.

Seison

Smash Journeyman
I actually don't think it's worth picking up a character just to beat G&W, because I think Falco does a good job against him, but if you're set on it, here's what I think:

between DK and ROB, I'd go with ROB, because he's got power, and a recovery that makes DK look like a lead weight, and he's got a projectile that can't be bucketed.

My personal preference though (besides Falco) would be Marth or Pikachu

bowz

Smash Journeyman
I use ROB and DK. They are both helpful at their times. I've been looking into marth, but not sure if I have too much potential with him, but if you do, then I advise him. I'd say DK and marth or Rob and marth would be your best alts.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Well this may seem abit out of the blue, but my secondary's Diddy and in many ways he compliments Falco. You can be creative with bannanas as you can with lasers, but to an even larger extent.

Also, Diddy's matchups are very advantageous in some situations, people just dont know it yet as he is the most underplayed character in the game (except perhaps Jiggs). For instance, he wrecks the IC, rapidly desynching them, screwing up there CG's etc.

The one other reason is because Diddy, like Falco has a very good spike game. D Air, Barrel spike, and Diddy hump are three spikes that are all fully applicable.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Many would disagree, but I would call it even. Sorry, but your gonna be very hard pressed to find a G&W counter he has probably the best matchups in the game

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Snake gives G&W the business. Marth has slight advantage. Maybe MK does too.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
One thing that I know helps is to actually play with the character that you're trying to beat. I had problems with Mk, so I started to play as him and research on stuff that he can do. I eventually knew what my opponent was going to do, so I know how to counter it.

I suggest before you pick a secondary, start maining G&W. You probably won't keep him as a main, but you'll know how to play against him better that way.;)

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Dustero, OT but I understand you changed you main because of the pressure of him being ... well Snake. But you mained him from Day one so personally, as much as I hate Snakes, I think you should stick with hiim. Peer pressure shouldn't affect the character you play

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I'd say ROB. He has good projectiles and is wicked in the air. He's a good secondary. Lot's of good ROBs out there.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I heard somewhere that TL was good against Falco's weaknesses. I'd give him a try. You said yourself that you like link, so idk.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
actually the only real counter versus Game and Watch is only toon link due to his mid range play-style

G&W ***** ROB and DDD

and every other good character goes dead even with him.

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
I'm learning Donkey Kong a bit too since there is some Nintendo connection tour in Australia very soon, and I doubt they will let you use the unlockables, due to spoilers of the casuals which they want to get more sales from?

Nevertheless, atm I'm pretty crappy at DK.

Top Bottom