• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SD Remix - 3.3 Full with Slippi Rollback Released!

Quillion

Smash Hero
Just want clarification: can I operate both SDRL and SDRF on the same memory card? I want to spread SDRL to others yet I also want to keep SDRF for myself because it's more full-featured.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
I would need a clean version of it, but if there's demand then there's a way.
Wait I'm sorry I didn't notice lol, surprised no one asked me since I made the logo, here you go guys:

Sorry if the Smash logo doesn't have Hi-Res when I made it, but I'll try to update it to HD soon.
Also for clarification, Moxie2D made the drawings in inside the boxes lmao

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Wait I'm sorry I didn't notice lol, surprised no one asked me since I made the logo, here you go guys:

Sorry if the Smash logo doesn't have Hi-Res when I made it, but I'll try to update it to HD soon.
Also for clarification, Moxie2D made the drawings in inside the boxes lmao
Excellent.

Just make it tiny so that it can fit in our signatures.

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
have to ask, everything got update but characters stayed the same for 3.2

not knocking, yet asking how come?

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman

Still not enough feedback to make any educated changes to the characters. 3.2 is more accessible so it's our hope that the amount of quality feedback may increase over the months.

Last edited:

_Snover_

Frost Tree Pokémon
The characters still seem pretty balanced as of now, so I don't see why they'd be changed.

Last edited:

_glook

Got a Passion for Smashin'

I can't speak for sdremix_troubleshooter, and I'm in no position to officially speak about this because I haven't touched any of the character balance myself (I've only worked on SD Remix 3.2 and that had no character changes). That being said, I do have my own opinions on this.

I feel one has to be careful about character balance, especially when you're talking about a mod that is two to three years old and is somewhat mature. I may be repeating myself a little bit in some of these points but:
  1. SD Remix's following needs to expand, and dramatic changes could splinter the following.
  2. Changing meta too drastically and/or too frequently in general puts people off who put work into their character.
  3. One of the guiding principles is to keep the character's feel the same as in normal Melee, and there's only so much you can do to a character before that can no longer be followed.
  4. The current balance seems pretty solid. It keeps the feel of Melee while making characters as reasonably viable as they can be. At this point, changes should not be based off of educated guesses but hard trials of lots of gameplay like vMelee had to form its tier list. The current meta should be gone through a trial by fire to figure out if issues that people initially see are actually issues in the long term and to discover hidden issues that only come out after lots of gameplay. In other words, the current meta hasn't been pushed nearly enough to warrant any changes.
  5. Even if changes are made, they should be more subtle and address actually identified issues, not changes for sake of making changes or for the sake of personal taste. Even if changes are made based on tastes or bigger changes have to be made, it should probably be come to after a long time to experiment with the idea and play with the character to determine whether those ideas would benefit the meta, with lots of input especially from high level players over an extended period of time.
SD Remix has had a lot of opportunity to figure out what seems to work on the high level since v1.0. Pichu used to be more ridiculous, Ness had a shine, etc. It's at major version 3 now and arguably the time for experimentation is mostly over and it's more time for polish, and that requires much more focused attention, attention that SD Remix hasn't necessarily received yet.

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Admittedly, quality feedback itself is hard to come by. While I appreciate feedback, thoughts, and opinions from all levels of play, inevitably those opinions may arise from misunderstandings and misinformation, which only makes balancing harder.

Some things that I recall just from testing with my local scene over the year (3.1/3.2):

Mewtwo being broken (rather than just being degenerate in certain situations, etc.) and Kirby air Side-B being unpunishable aren't unreasonable DAY 1 impressions, but by no means are acceptable for any sort of higher level play critique or discussion. SD Remix is a balance patch, thinking in double standards for "high tiered characters" and "low tiered characters" is simply contrary.

Yes Link's down air will KO your standard floaty at ~90% near the edge even with your decent DI. I'm sorry that this seems so out of place to you compared to Captain Falcon's knee or Fox's Usmash, but alas I cannot sympathize.

As many of you know, DruggedFox and I spent a lot of time playtesting the characters. At one of the Smash casuals, he kept a roughly 30 game win streak against low-middle-leveled players with Mewtwo. They were all convinced Mewtwo was broken, much to DruggedFox's amusement. Now I'm not very good at any of the Smash games, but I was able to defeat his Mewtwo in an exhibition set with Marth for them to see that many of Mewtwo's crippling flaws do in fact remain, and do effectively "gatekeep" him out of being a real high tier contender.

And then there's plain vMelee character ignorance combined with SD Remix buffs. This is usually the easiest combination to come by that turns people off to this game. It's no surprise that many lower leveled competitive spacie players may have never faced a Zelda or other low tiers in their lives. So when they get chaingrabbed on FD into lightning kicks, to them it looks like some monstrosity from the old PM games.

Ah, but in fact, you could always do that in Melee. The only thing you couldn't do in Melee is get anyone but a select few to try to play Zelda in any serious manner, but that's another story. :p

DRGN

Technowizard
And then there's plain vMelee character ignorance combined with SD Remix buffs. This is usually the easiest combination to come by that turns people off to this game. It's no surprise that many lower leveled competitive spacie players may have never faced a Zelda or other low tiers in their lives. So when they get chaingrabbed on FD into lightning kicks, to them it looks like some monstrosity from the old PM games.

Ah, but in fact, you could always do that in Melee. The only thing you couldn't do in Melee is get anyone but a select few to try to play Zelda in any serious manner, but that's another story. :p
Haha, true that. One of my hidden mains is Zelda (often unmasked in early pools or friendlies). And no matter the size of the tournament, I often get people behind me going, "What?? What is this? Zelda? And it's winning?!", or "Dude, I just got beat by this Zelda." They cry 'broken' even in vMelee. It'll take a long time before people start learning the whole cast of character match-ups, dealing with these "new" characters, before we start understanding the new truth of balance. And it'll take a lot of "good" players to find the truth, as the only useful merit in judging a metagame is when it's played at a high level.

Last edited:

IronChar

Smash Journeyman

and that, is why I love this game and the people apart of it ever so much, people working with it appreciate these things and really- hell most character muffs? I find are just moves with less lag.

Changing meta too drastically and/or too frequently in general puts people off who put work into their character

I agree- something that PM lately seems to do. having releases frequent is nice- hell keep in mind that SDRs base is much easier to archive with less manhours and team because it's already so good...

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
Im trying to follow this step by step instruction guide using THIS TUTORIAL I followed all the steps perfectly, I got both the patch file and ISO of Melee 1.02 and I named the output file as its indicated on that guide and still i cant get it to work..even after following the video tutorial posted above.

I keep getting this error after applying the patch at the bottom:

ilhuhyjbl.png

If someone can please help a brotha out you feel me. I will be nice thank you:yeahboi:

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Im trying to follow this step by step instruction guide using THIS TUTORIAL I followed all the steps perfectly, I got both the patch file and ISO of Melee 1.02 and I named the output file as its indicated on that guide and still i cant get it to work..even after following a video tutorial.

I keep getting this error after applying the patch at the bottom:

If someone can please help a brotha out you feel me. I will be nice thank you:yeahboi:
Extract the xdelta files into a proper directory first. Don't run it unextracted from the 7zip file explorer. Let me know if the problem persists after.

TheSmoothLander

Smash Cadet

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Followed the netplay guide but my game's code is SDRE32 instead of GALESD.

Also is there a way to skip right to the character select screen like in vanilla Melee netplay?

I asked you on reddit but honestly, I hate reddit.

_glook

Followed the netplay guide but my game's code is SDRE32 instead of GALESD.

Also is there a way to skip right to the character select screen like in vanilla Melee netplay?

I asked you on reddit but honestly, I hate reddit.
Oh shoot, I forgot to change that. "SDRE32" is correct, GALESD is for an old version. I'll go change that now. (Edit: Fixed, it now says SDRE32 on the guide)

I'm pretty sure you can just use the same action replay/gecko code that v1.02 people use to skip to the character select screen.

Last edited:

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Oh shoot, I forgot to change that. "SDRE32" is correct, GALESD is for an old version. I'll go change that now. (Edit: Fixed, it now says SDRE32 on the guide)

I'm pretty sure you can just use the same action replay/gecko code that v1.02 people use to skip to the character select screen.
SD Remix has no codes on Dolphin.

Also Dolphin 652 is godawful, sound is ahead of video, none of the new aspect ratio fixes are in it. No idea why you have that as a viable option.

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord

Also Dolphin 652 is godawful, sound is ahead of video, none of the new aspect ratio fixes are in it. No idea why you have that as a viable option.
652 was the official netplay build on Smash Ladder when the guide was written. The sound is actually behind the video.

@ _glook _glook You should probably take it off now, it has no advantage any more.

CeLL

Smash Lord
See, I figured that at first but it actually said to use 7161 and an alternative if you want is 652.
Yes that was my doing. I was pushing the latest dev build which was being unofficially tested on the ladder, but it DID have issues (which have been taken care of now) and some might have found 652 an overall more enjoyable experience at that point.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm honestly still partial to a universal rapid jab buff.

It would fit the principle of the philosophy of "make all bad moves good", and not only will the lower character benefit from it, it could even appeal to Star Fox duo players who'll see their favorite characters get buffed in a game that's about rebalancing.

_glook

652 was the official netplay build on Smash Ladder when the guide was written. The sound is actually behind the video.

@ _glook _glook You should probably take it off now, it has no advantage any more.
It has now been removed.

Yes, you'd have to put in your own codes. According to the main gecko code thread, this is the code you would use:
Boot to Character Select Screen [InternetExplorer, Achilles]
(1.02)
041BFA20 38600002

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
So it worked as is kinda. Turns out once you get past "no memory card" it goes to CSS immediately.

CeLL

Smash Lord
So it worked as is kinda. Turns out once you get past "no memory card" it goes to CSS immediately.
This is the code in the netplay code set. It boots immediately to the CSS, but I believe it does not load memory card data if a memory card is present.
Code:
Boot to CSS [Dan Salvato]
041A45A0 3C000202
041A45A4 901E0000

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
That's it.

[Gecko]
$Boot to CSS [Dan Salvato]
041A45A0 3C000202
041A45A4 901E0000
[Gecko_Enabled]
$Boot to CSS

Also had an idea for SD Remix, what if 16:9 had a different maybe more zoomed in camera so you didn't die the first millisecond you went into magnifying glass or before.

Last edited:

_glook

That's it.

[Gecko]
$Boot to CSS [Dan Salvato]
041A45A0 3C000202
041A45A4 901E0000
[Gecko_Enabled]
$Boot to CSS

Also had an idea for SD Remix, what if 16:9 had a different maybe more zoomed in camera so you didn't die the first millisecond you went into magnifying glass or before.
The problem with that is then you don't get the vertical field of view of a normal game, taking away information from the player. Though it's a good point about the magnifying glass, though I don't know if there's necessarily a good way to fix that without changing the gameplay.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
The problem with that is then you don't get the vertical field of view of a normal game, taking away information from the player. Though it's a good point about the magnifying glass, though I don't know if there's necessarily a good way to fix that without changing the gameplay.
I'm just spitballing, it seems like widescreen is such a prevalent hack but at the same time I always feel like I die far too soon at the sides.

_glook

I'm working on the port of SD Remix Lite to PAL, but I'm running into an issue where any move that has had its animation swapped freezes the game. In other words, when using Pichu's dash attack or Bowser's down air, everything just stops. Anyone have any idea what would be causing that in the PAL version?

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
in 3.1 I was able to keep my old smash save file, yet I've noticed because of game id changes it has to make a new one for 3.2?

do you have a version to keep the game ID the way it is? so I can keep my records (playing on mios dios with USB loader) and load all star?

game itself is great, new levels awesome. I noticed with some levels (fourside) both load the same level... prehaps that had to do with my just copying the root and sys folders from a leftover 3.1 copied over and maybe the aplha stagess stayed the same (green greens and fourside?)

I didn't want to have to extract the bare copy of melee again. I've yet to try the new iso patch method... does it work with GCM file?

Last edited:

_glook

in 3.1 I was able to keep my old smash save file, yet I've noticed because of game id changes it has to make a new one for 3.2?

do you have a version to keep the game ID the way it is? so I can keep my records (playing on mios dios with USB loader) and load all star?

game itself is great, new levels awesome. I noticed with some levels (fourside) both load the same level... prehaps that had to do with my just copying the root and sys folders from a leftover 3.1 copied over and maybe the aplha stagess stayed the same (green greens and fourside?)

I didn't want to have to extract the bare copy of melee again. I've yet to try the new iso patch method... does it work with GCM file?
As far as the stages loading the same one in alpha/omega, it looks like that's the case if you're upgrading from 3.1. I thought I had included the original stages in the Dios Mios zip to take care of the people upgrading, but it turns out I didn't. I've added the original stages to the zip file and reuploaded it, so if you download it again, it should have the original stages included as well. Thanks for catching that.

As far as save file incompatibility, that's a good point in that people may want to carry their records over. In that case, you have two options:
  • Easier but less recommended: Go into boot.bin in the sys folder and open it up in a hex editor. The first 6 characters should say "SDRE32". Change that to "GALE01". I don't recommend this, because DIOS MIOS will no longer distinguish SD Remix from your other smash titles, like 20XX and normal Melee.
  • Updating your save file: Backup your save file using GCMM, using regular backup instead of raw backup. It should create a .gci file on your SD card in the folder MCBACKUP. It should be called "01-GALE-SuperSmashBros0110290334_XX.gci", where XX is some number. Open that up in a hex editor, and you should see the first 6 characters are "GALE01". Change that to "SDRE32". Also, go ahead and change the name of the GCI file to "SD_Remix_Save.gci" or something. At this point, feel free to make a raw backup of your memory card in case something goes wrong and you can backup later. Then go back into GCMM and restore the save file to your memory card, using "SD_Remix_Save.gci". It should overwrite your SD Remix 3.2 save file.
I may make a guide on the site detailing how to upgrade your save file on the site at some point.

As far as GCM files, AFAIK, GCM files are exactly the same as ISO files, except they just have a different file extension. If you rename ssbm.gcm to ssbm.iso and vice versa, it should work identically the same.

Top Bottom