• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scunτhorpe SmashFest

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Also, you can usually tell which word people mean to use by looking at the context it's used in. :p

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Wario players differ, some prefer to save uair for a kill, some(such as myself) prefer to use it to tack on nice damage and rely on ftilt,fsmash, fart, bair, fair(gimps). still got lots of options.

lol, noone will mind it being in a church. its all good son. get that s*** sorted.

(KJ am I allowed to censor 3 letters? I mean, so he knows I'm saying ****, not ****.

^see? you cant tell what I'm saying, muhahaha.
awesomesauce. however i dotn want to host a tournament when other people wil lbe hosting one, so if we can get a fulyl updated lsit of what tournaments are happening when, that would be godly. i was hopnig to host in february at some, so we got c.r.z one in jan, then mine in feb, then whoever's in march? we could circulate who hosts when so make it all good

Calzorz

Smash Lord
Interview with J.Miller

Zorz:
Alright so lets open up this interview with a bit about yourself and the characters you play in tourny:

Jmiller:

my name is James Miller- Igietseme Aka J.Miller I've been brawling since 2008 and been
playing nintendo games for as long as I can remember (from about 6years old) while not gaming
im into martial arts, theatre and hanging with friends.

he characters in tournament I use can vary, but I'll wittle it down to what I'm known for... which is my luigi, Kirby and Rob.
I have used these 3 characters in tournament the most, I have used Peach and Tink. TL is my more prefferd character for doubles
than singles at this moment in time but I can call on him if I feel the need to use him

Zorz: Intresting choice of characters what made you pick up luigi , kirby and rob and what are your most hated matchups with each of them?

Jmiller:

It actually did start way back from before release to days on Wifi, because Brawl kept getting pushed back it kept making me contemplate the characters I wanted to use. As more characters were getting announced I and liked alot of them I just said to myself why not attempt to learn and play them to a decent standard or more. Individually... I picked up luigi because he is my favourite nintendo character, he is the definition of the playstyle I enjoy most which is staying close to the opponent quickly accumulate damage and try and get the kill early and also Sakurai did him some favours in comparision to Melee. I liked kirby because he was the 1st character in a smash game I used, my friend introduced me to smash 64. I was very much a casual player ( I was 9/10 years old here) but I liked his down B and jabs alot I never stopped using him since then and in Brawl I like that he has alot of choice of how to play as him. Finally Rob... to be honest this was the most random of the three, as he typically considered a defensive character which he is but I see him as as a character...
who can go on the offensive and just has a great defensive game too. He has clear weaknesses but it's down to me to either mask them or play with as little fear as possible which is my next goal.

As Luigi my most hated matchups are... MK, Marth, DDD and this 1's not so much hated but annoying would be Fox (its like a game of cat and mouse)

As kirby, would have to say marth again... but I think I just hate fighting marth with any of my characters maybe even more so than MK at this moment in time.

As Rob, would be Marth, MK and Falco ( yes I can fight against falco, however I feel so much more vulnerable 2 laser with Rob than any with anyone esle... its more of a pet peeve I guess.

Zorz: i think its clear you just hate marth :bee:

alright you use them chars for intresting reasons , what got you into the competitve brawl scene and whats your usual placement in tournments within your reigion?

Jmiller
:
I had been playing wifi for several months friendlies etc but I wanted more. I had felt that way for so long but for all I knew there was NO scene but my regular training partner at the time "BOXINGKING" informed me of an actual tournament scene that was not too far from either of us so we went. From then I try attending any brawl event I can
My usual Placing get would be 4th
My region is United Kingdom and I've played nearly everyone at tournament level and made some funny rivalries with a certain Diddy kong player :p who I have somehow had to play at every tournament apart from the latest just past.

Zorz: Rivalrys are always fun , who is your most hated person to play against at tourny and why?

Jmiller: hmmm this is a hard 1 really there are 3 people I cant seem to beat yet its either I'm close or doing badly... in my eyes anyway. I'll say how I feel but don't expect it to stay very consistent I would say Anaky right now. Because he plays Marth and a very smart Marth at that and as I don't play him anywhere as much as I would like for experince fighting his Marth I notice is hard and annoying because I dont like Marth and he is a great player.

Zorz: haha had a feeling it would be a marth and for ur most fun?

Jmiller: Most fun... this is pretty easy. Cong, only because at most tournaments we have met in brackets and because he hates fighting my Luigi he constantly refers to him as "The Devil" and because he is a smart and reserved Diddy its makes me step my game up because neither of us want to lose and for me personally I know Diddy is 1 of the top tier characters Luigi doesnt struggle as much against. For now the score stands at 3-0 to me but I know Cong is capable of so as long as he stands in my way there is gonna be a hard match.

Zorz: is there any european tournys you plan to attend within the next 5 months , or hope to travel anywhere for a tourny in the next 5months?

Jmiller: If i have the money and the time free I'll attend any tournament that is goimng to have a big turnout
would love to travel around Europe, it's something I have yet to do.

Zorz: ahh ur missing out traveling is always fun , is there any big european names you really want to vs?

Jmiller: I really wanna play Luigi player for more Diddy playstyle experince and also wanna ask why he calls himself Luigi player :D I still find it funny I also wanna play S1-14 i learnt alot from his Ness as I like Ness myself and known him since 2008 I think so I've always wanted 2 play his Ness offline - theres many players I wanna play but they just come to my mind as we speak

Zorz: alright thanks for your time miller and lets hope we can travel europe and rep u.k :p any shoutouts u wana do?

jMiller: Shoutouts to... Siri, C.R.Z, KillerJawz, P4FOS, IxisNaugus, Hoe4U, JIHAD, Kasper all the London players that keep me coming back and of course our hosts of most smash events/fests Calzorz, Anaky and our newest member Bmac I consider these people good friends thanks for all the memories and hope to create more.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
haha, interview with the scene's proclaimed 4th best XD
i see the tractor smashers got no shoutouts TT.TT

Calzorz

Smash Lord
against whom? its a relatively average stage for lucario as far as i know. hoever if fighting olimar or r.o.b you want to avoid that place
u dont want to AVOID it lol rob isnt even that good on it he can shoot a laser through a statue thats it , doesnt make the stage "omg its rob dont cp castle seiege" same for vs olimar

u dont want to AVOID it lol rob isnt even that good on it he can shoot a laser through a statue thats it , doesnt make the stage "omg its rob dont cp castle seiege" same for vs olimar
He can already cause his lingering hitboxes to linger to utmost extremes.

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Tbh with stages you dont really get a stage where its highly in 1 characters favour, they jsut have minor things that are easy to get around. Unless its Meta or Brinstar lolololol free cp.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
it jsut makes it better, also you know that b-air rob has the lasts forever and day? its lasts even longer on that statue, for whatever reason, flame hitboxes gets a significant amount of lingering from the statue whereas normal hitbox only get a few more frames, interesting...
its probably why you get the eruption glitch too

K.Mac

Smash Lord
it jsut makes it better, also you know that b-air rob has the lasts forever and day? its lasts even longer on that statue, for whatever reason, flame hitboxes gets a significant amount of lingering from the statue whereas normal hitbox only get a few more frames, interesting...
its probably why you get the eruption glitch too
The flame-effect moves have similar hitbox properties to electric attacks ... well basically, they make the character's move lag when they connect.

Kinda like what happens with a lot of strong moves on Brawl- (Falcon's knee as an example). You connect them and there's a huge pause.

Not sure if there's a proper term for it though, maybe KJ knows? But MK's nado is similar. Btw I'm also assuming ROB's bair does the same thing on those weird things on brinstar.

edit

I should also point out that, whilst I may be wrong, I do believe that if the opponent is in an advantageous position when ROB bairs that statue on CS, the opponent has more frames to punish (since that attack stays out for like ... an AGE ... when hitting that thing).

The_Rake

Smash Lord
Lol guys, i dont tend to do that bad against miller. It's much the same as when i play cong, if i concentrate and focus on not letting myself get overwealmed by them i tend to do fairly well. Otherwise they just wipe me off their shoes

Heartstring

Smash Legend
The flame-effect moves have similar hitbox properties to electric attacks ... well basically, they make the character's move lag when they connect.

Kinda like what happens with a lot of strong moves on Brawl- (Falcon's knee as an example). You connect them and there's a huge pause.

Not sure if there's a proper term for it though, maybe KJ knows? But MK's nado is similar. Btw I'm also assuming ROB's bair does the same thing on those weird things on brinstar.

edit

I should also point out that, whilst I may be wrong, I do believe that if the opponent is in an advantageous position when ROB bairs that statue on CS, the opponent has more frames to punish (since that attack stays out for like ... an AGE ... when hitting that thing).
ah but you see the gimmick is on moves like that, the character is paused for a SHORTER amount of time than the hitbox is, so therefore the moves ib better on it...in theory anyway

Kasper!

Smash Lord
lol guys, i dont tend to do that bad against miller. It's much the same as when i play cong, if i concentrate and focus on not letting myself get overwealmed by them i tend to do fairly well. Otherwise they just wipe me off their shoes
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

K.Mac

Smash Lord
MTR cockyness.

@ GP: ah, I see. So the hitbox ends up lingering longer than the graphics? I always knew ROB's nair and bair were ridiculous if spaced and used correctly, but that's just silly O_o

I'm just glad they didn't make his nair faster and have autocancel frames on brawl- ... else people would be spamming super somersaults with him lmao. :awesome:

btw I still say you keep practicing with ROB. I know he has a lot of technical stuff that you need to get down before you can get good with him but you can't do that if you don't practice and try. Eventually it will all just click.

Oh, and calz

http://www.youtube.com/user/x1NightStandx

The_Rake

Smash Lord
Lol how am I being cocky? They still beat me, I can't deny that. Miller and cong are better than me, and both require focus to beat. Cong because of the bananas and miller because he stays up close and personal with his weegee

K.Mac

Smash Lord
2nd best in the uk fo shizzle ;)
^ this.

I prefer playing people who play up close/aggressive, rather than people that play majorly defensive or camp. The reason being that characters that are played aggressive/in your face tend to lack the ability to camp using projectiles (such as snake, Falco, ROB) and I really struggle to do anything against people that are majorly defensive.

except Falco ... I can actually deal with Falco for some reason, but it's just an example since his playstyle is often very campy/defensive.

I lack a lot of experience against ROB though (why miller's ROB destroyed me every time I've played it)
So GP - keep using ROB :mad:

I think I know my two most hated matchups though. Snake (for obvious reasons that are obvious) ... and Diddy. I know MK has an easier time against Diddy since MK can air camp to a reasonable level of effectiveness ... but it's just those ****ing banana lock combos. He just shuts down a lot of approach options.

=/

what is this I don't even.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
sorry man, have you not noticed my srs lack of tech skill? i means r.o.b isnt technical, you jsut need to be able to wavebounce, and that something i cant do for the life of me, of course im keeping the bugger as a secondary incase i ever come up against something bad for ike (like olimar or pika...mainly olimar)
in an ideal world though ike will go back down into low tier XD

Calzorz

Smash Lord
na/ its cool kmac i personnaly think diddy is the best vs mk , so expect him to be a hard matchup :p

Top Bottom