• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ScrewAttack Declares Project M 5th Best Wii Game In Top 10

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm just gonna name my top 3 Wii games since I don't have that many games for it:

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
3. Donkey Kong Country Returns

Wish I had a lotta games though.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Its not though. Its a mod of a game. All they did was take tools created by a dedicated team and try to claim it as if its their own creation. Its also not even legal to name it as a stand alone game because it would be plagiarism.
It must be hard to hate things for no reason.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
I guess. XD but since ScrewAttack is a popular channel and I don't know how popular PM is, it helps with noticing the mod more.

Depends on which side has greater members: competitive, or casual?
I wouldn't say that.I think plenty of casual players could like P:M more.It is just very fluid and natural(IMO).

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Goes to show that fans know how to do games justice, especially if it beats out the original.
I think 'beats out' is subjective in this case. Some would prefer Brawl. It's just a very different style XP
I'm proberly the only guy who thinks Project M shouldn't even count on this list, its not even a game.
You're really not. Have you READ this thread? XD
It must be hard to hate things for no reason.
I wouldn't say hate. Moreso ignorance, as I'm sure the PM Dev team is also a really dedicated team, and they HAVE 'created' Project M. I would assume the PMDT has never once claimed Brawl to be their own =P

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Wasn't the point, not to create a totally different game, but rather, just make it more like Melee? In essence, it's still "Smash", just, faster, and with some change/tuff from Melee brought back.

Not saying you're wrong in that they put effort into making a game by the fans, for the fans, just wanted to clarify that.

And again, it's up to the individual to see it as an actual game or not. Some will, some won't. Technically, it's only a mod/hack, but because of what it means to people, because of what it signifies to the community, a lot DO see it as a game.

And I, for one, see it as its own game. But I'd understand it if someone didn't believe it to be an actual game, because of the nature of Project M itself.
Really, I think the original idea was to make the game just like Melee. They did try to make Falco and Fox exactly like Melee and then balance around them, and you're right, considering the project was originally called Project Melee, which they've since decided to not really call it that.

Nowadays, I think their goal is to create a game with Melee systems that feels like it's own thing, so it's hard to say really. But I think the "For the fans, by the fans" thing is more the mantra these days than "Make it Melee".

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Wasn't the point, not to create a totally different game, but rather, just make it more like Melee? In essence, it's still "Smash", just, faster, and with some change/tuff from Melee brought back.

Not saying you're wrong in that they put effort into making a game by the fans, for the fans, just wanted to clarify that.

And again, it's up to the individual to see it as an actual game or not. Some will, some won't. Technically, it's only a mod/hack, but because of what it means to people, because of what it signifies to the community, a lot DO see it as a game.

And I, for one, see it as its own game. But I'd understand it if someone didn't believe it to be an actual game, because of the nature of Project M itself.
Technically, anything that is played for entertainment is a game, no matter how you slice it up. People stating it isn't are just being intolerant. That's what I personally believe.

Actually, fromt he start, the goal of the game was to create a sort of "sequel" to Melee, not to create Melee again in the first place. There are many things that are different from Melee in Project M, from things like the meteor cancel window to ledge mechanics for example. Melee was an inspiration, but statign that we're attempting to be a Melee clone is an unfortunate misconception many have.

Last edited:

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
How can people say 'P:M isn't a game.It's a mod.'
Kindly tell me the difference?I think you mean 'official game.'

Here's a scenario to simplify it.Imagine if the balance patch for Smash 4 had never been released.Now imagine Smash 4 were hacked to the extent of Brawl.Now imagine said hackers developed a patch for people to download to Smash 4 that did EXACTLY WHAT THE BALANCE DID IN THE REAL WORLD.

Now if you downloaded the patch in this scenario,playing Smash 4 with the patch wouldn't be a game anymore,right?Now it's a mod.

It's a bit like saying that if a developer changes the game while it is undergoing development,it's not a video game anymore.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Technically, anythoing that is played for entertainment is a game, no matter how you slice it up. People stating it isn't are just being intolerant. That's what I personally believe.

Actually, fromt he start, the goal of the game was to create a sort of "sequel" to Melee, not to create Melee again in the first place. There are many things that are different from Melee in Project M, from things like the meteor cancel window to ledge mechanics for example. Melee was an inspiration, but statign that we're attempting to be a Melee clone is an unfortunate misconception many have.
After playing PM (which, btw, is great stuff) I can definitely say that it is NOT Melee. It's likely somewhat of what Brawl would have become, had Sakurai taken a more Melee-esque route, rather than changing up the game mechanics and speed.

And yeah, exactly. Some believe anything playable to be a game. And I would agree. But there are some that would say that mods are not games in and of themselves, and I'm not going to say they're wrong, because, anyone is free to believe what they choose. PM IS a mod, but it IS a game as well

^-^

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
i don't really like this list. first off project m is a mod, its not an OFFICIAL game. second, why is Netflix in this list? its not a game either. third, I personally don't think wii sports should be there, it should be wii sports resort instead which is the better game. and finally where is smash bros brawl and Mario galaxy 2? but yeah those are my thoughts

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
The list omitted Metroid Prime 3 and any of the two Zelda games (yes even SS). And why is Netflix in this......

Here my top 10 (Honorable Mentions: Okami, Mario Kart Wii, New Super Mario Bros. Wii)

10. Sonic Colors
9. Donkey Kong Country Returns
8. Kirby's Epic Yarn
7. Xenoblade Chronicles
6. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
5. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
4. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
3. Super Smash Bros Brawl/Project M
2. Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I am just glad that Xenoblade Chronicles got the nod at number 6. Seriously, play this game if you haven't already; it's one of the best experiences on the Wii and it's personally my favorite Wii game.

...Also, Netflix? Really?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
i don't really like this list. first off project m is a mod, its not an OFFICIAL game. second, why is Netflix in this list? its not a game either. third, I personally don't think wii sports should be there, it should be wii sports resort instead which is the better game. and finally where is smash bros brawl and Mario galaxy 2? but yeah those are my thoughts
1. They never said they couldn't include unofficial games. It was still a game on the wii XP
2. Netflix is.....a troll, pretty much.
3. Wii Sports is a classic, bro. I agree though, Wii Sports Resort had more variety.
4. Ahh...doubt they'd add both Brawl AND PM
5. Maybe Mario Galaxy 1 was better than Mario Galaxy 2?

Most lists like this only count one game in the franchise. Otherwise everyone's favorite DS titles would have 4 Pokemon games.

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
I think 'beats out' is subjective in this case. Some would prefer Brawl. It's just a very different style XP

You're really not. Have you READ this thread? XD

I wouldn't say hate. Moreso ignorance, as I'm sure the PM Dev team is also a really dedicated team, and they HAVE 'created' Project M. I would assume the PMDT has never once claimed Brawl to be their own =P
Ignorance? lol. Sit down.
Everything I said was fact. I never said they claimed it as their own( in the perspective as creating the pieces from brawl) I said if they did it wouldn't be legal.
I have no problems with the game but to sit there and say its a "Wii title" is false as much as the fan boys don't want to admit it brawl should be in that spot.

Last edited:

RocketSmash

Smash Rookie
Yes, and Brawl got #10 on Game Trailers list. Where's our front page post for that?

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Ignorance? lol. Sit down.
Everything I said was fact. I never said they claimed it as their own( in the perspective as creating the pieces from brawl) I said if they did it wouldn't be legal.
I have no problems with the game but to sit there and say its a "Wii title" is false as much as the fan boys don't want to admit it brawl should be in that spot.
"All they did was take tools created by a dedicated team and try to claim it as if its their own creation. "

So uhh...should I continue, or...?

Also PM is NOT a Wii title, but it IS a Wii game.

Title would mean it is an OFFICIAL game.

And since PM and Brawl have different receptions, and ScrewAttack seems to prefer PM, it's safe to say Brawl probably WOULD be a few spots lower, or not included at all, even if PM wasn't included.

@ The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn Sad part is, that's probably true.

Last edited:

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Implying PM is even a game itself, implying a list that has netflix on it should be considered reasonable, implying Wii Sports is over prime, XC and DKC:R. Yeah, congrats a mod is there lmao

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Did they really waste a spot on the Top 10 Wii games of all time to Netflix... wow

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Zombies ate my neighbors on the virtual shop was better then some of those.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Unfortunately, I tried to make a list of Wii games I enjoyed, and was struck with the realization that I could not make a top ten. If you remove all motion control games (I depsise them), there isn't much to play.

Honestly, for me, the Wii was a Project M machine until Xenoblade was released. Then it became a Project M / Xenoblade machine.

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
"All they did was take tools created by a dedicated team and try to claim it as if its their own creation. "

So uhh...should I continue, or...?

Also PM is NOT a Wii title, but it IS a Wii game.

Title would mean it is an OFFICIAL game.

And since PM and Brawl have different receptions, and ScrewAttack seems to prefer PM, it's safe to say Brawl probably WOULD be a few spots lower, or not included at all, even if PM wasn't included.

@ The Stoopid Unikorn The Stoopid Unikorn Sad part is, that's probably true.
Its not a wii game.
Its a mod to a wii game.
Theres no difference between the 2.
you need the brawl disc to play this "game"
but its a stand alone game right? PM is an over glorified special brawl.
idk why you people are trying so hard to not be associated to brawl

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Its not a wii game.
Its a mod to a wii game.
The bolded is 100% correct.

Your second line, however, is very inaccurate, however. There is a big difference between the two. Graphically-wise? No. But the mechanics are very different indeed.

Also it's not that everyone tries hard to make it NOT associated to Brawl, it's just that we already know it's a THING so its irrelevant to restate it. We simply consider it something different.

And you know why?

Because there's people who hate Brawl, but love Project M
And people who hate Project M but love Brawl.

Since both things cannot coexist within the same ecosystem, they have been separated, for the sake of peace.

Basically, the mere fact that people hate on Project M makes it a separate entity from Brawl.

VinceX

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0361-7328-0581
Will we ever get a comment section without people trying to show their e-peen prefered Smash game as the superior title of the serie? (Altough watching people whining and trolling can be funny sometimes)

Also, this list is innacurate. Netflix should be #1

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Its not a wii game.
Its a mod to a wii game.
I'm pretty sure that if you played Project M, which you clearly have not, you would realize that it plays completely differently.

While it does use assets from Brawl, it still is its own game, which operates on its own rules. It's like saying that Pathfinder is not a game becaus eit uses D&D 3.0 as a base or that Super Mario Bros. The Lost levels is not a game for using Super Mario Bros assets.

At this point, and I don't mean to be offensive, but I consider Brawl to be a Project M boot disc. The two are two different to even be compared at this point.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Will we ever get a comment section without people trying to show their e-peen prefered Smash game as the superior title of the serie? (Altough watching people whining and trolling can be funny sometimes)

Also, this list is innacurate. Netflix should be #1
All hail Netflix!

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I'm pretty sure that if you played Project M, which you clearly have not, you would realize that it plays completely differently.

While it does use assets from Brawl, it still is its own game, which operates on its own rules. It's like saying that Pathfinder is not a game becaus eit uses D&D 3.0 as a base or that Super Mario Bros. The Lost levels is not a game for using Super Mario Bros assets.

At this point, and I don't mean to be offensive, but I consider Brawl to be a Project M boot disc. The two are two different to even be compared at this point.
In fact, they are so different, I actually downloaded Project M and considered it Smash 3.5 (ironically) while waiting for 4 XP

Top Bottom