• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ScrewAttack Declares Project M 5th Best Wii Game In Top 10

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
I'm not going to kick the hornet's nest that is the Brawl vs Project M flame war, but I'll be blunt, this list sucks.

Not because of Project M, but because I find it insulting that Netflix gets on the list when games like Kirby's Epic Yarn, Mario Kart Wii, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Twilight Princess, The Last Story, and other good Wii games fail to make the list.

My issue is not with Project M, because both it and Brawl have their fans. And like I said, I have no interest in kicking the hornet's nest and get into a flame war.

But the Wii has tons of other great games, and they got shafted on this list. Its kinda like they just slapped together a list that would get on people's nerves. Netflix really? Let's put Project M on here so we'll start a flame war. Not to mention, they ignored Wiiware games as well.

I'm sorry, I just can't take this list seriously. While I think the Wii overall had the weakest library out of all the Nintendo systems(and yes, that includes the Wii U), the system still had it share of gems.

This is just a very weak list.

JFB (JurgaBurgaFlintines)

Smash Apprentice
I want to say first and foremost that I like Project M and I think it's amazing. Now Project M is not a game, it's a mod! You can't go to Bestbuy or Amazon and buy Project M for $39.99. We used Brawl (an actual Wii game) and used exploits in the game to load in files with modifications to existing files in the game. If anything, Brawl should have been up on the list. I''m pretty sure though that this was just a mistake on Screw Attack's part and that they were misinformed

Also why is Netflix on the list? :D

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I want to say first and foremost that I like Project M and I think it's amazing. Now Project M is not a game, it's a mod! You can't go to Bestbuy or Amazon and buy Project M for $39.99. We used Brawl (an actual Wii game) and used exploits in the game to load in files with modifications to existing files in the game. If anything, Brawl should have been up on the list. I''m pretty sure though that this was just a mistake on Screw Attack's part and that they were misinformed

Also why is Netflix on the list? :D
Correction. it is something played for entertainment on a Wii. It is thus a Wii game, no matter how you look at it. You can't get Path of Exile in a store for 39,99$ due to its Free to Play model, and yet none would contest that it is a game.

They were very much informed, really. They stated many times that Project M is their favourite Smash game. Brawl doesn't have to be on the lsit because Project M is. Taste aside, one can like one and not like the other as much.

Last edited:

Smash Apprentice
Correction. it is something played for entertainment on a Wii. It is thus a Wii game, no matter how you look at it. You can't get Path of Exile in a store for 39,99$ due to its Free to Play model, and yet none would contest that it is a game.

They were very much informed, really. They stated many times that Project M is their favourite Smash game. Brawl doesn't have to be on the lsit because Project M is. Taste aside, one can like one and not like the other as much.
Project M is not a Wii game, it's a mod. Yes it is entertainment, but technically it's a mod. I'll even quote the official Project M website.
Project M is a community-made mod of Brawl inspired by Super Smash Bros.
http://projectmgame.com/en/about

Last edited:

NintyTheRagekid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NintyTheRageKid
3DS FC
5455-9431-1608
Switch FC
SW-2209-3322-3333
But Project M isn't a game.

We're still gonna play Project M anyways.
Wait, according to your logic, how can we play Project M when it's "not a game"?
Exactly. It's a game. Not an
official game, but still a game.

D

Deleted member

We're still gonna play Project M anyways.
Wait, according to your logic, how can we play Project M when it's "not a game"?
Exactly. It's a game. Not an
official game, but still a game.
Never said anything about how you shouldn't play it because it isn't a game. I'm just stating the fact that it isn't an official Wii game, which is correct.

Please don't get so defensive.

NintyTheRagekid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NintyTheRageKid
3DS FC
5455-9431-1608
Switch FC
SW-2209-3322-3333
Never said anything about how you shouldn't play it because it isn't a game. I'm just stating the fact that it isn't an official Wii game, which is correct.

Please don't get so defensive.
No, you said it wasn't a game at all.
You never said it wasn't an official game.
Game =/= Official Game

Last edited:

7upjawa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
7upjawa
3DS FC
3823-8521-4588
I agree with the top 6 bust past there the list goes to ****.

WiiDude83

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiDude83
I'm not trying to spread PM hate or anything....but why is this a front page? It's just an opinionated list....nothing more...plus it kills any credibility when you put netflix as a game....

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
This "not a real game" bullshet tho
Can't go a day without it

Don't have time for that tho
I ****ing love NSMBWii
Bess game

Comorant

Smash Cadet
To those who say "Project M isn't a game": What about Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, or DayZ?
Most people openly consider the original TF, CS, and Day Z to be mods. In the case of Counter-Strike it was a total conversion as well. On top of that all those titles were later recreated as their own standalone commercial titles with completely new assets.

Project M is a bit of an oddball. Mechanically it's a massive conversion of the game and it brings in a significant number of brand new assets as well. However it also makes heavy use of old assets created by Nintendo such as models, stages, animations, audio, and so on. It's tough to define and really raises the question of at what point does a mod become it's own game.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Meh, the list is odd, to say the least. I really can't take it seriously when Wii Sports and Netflix are on that list, while Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Skyward Sword, and others are nowhere to be seen.

Smash Apprentice
Except nothing here states it isn't a Wii game. You've changed your statement when you were called out on it
So you are questioning the creators of Project M? I'm pretty sure it's assumed that Project M is a mod for a Wii game because it clearly says Project M is a mod for Brawl. In case you do not know, a mod is is a modification to an existing thing. In this case, files were either replaced or edited. If Project M was its own game, there would be more/different modes, more stages and other content. Project M is coming to that point where it is becoming a game, but as it stands, it's still a mod. It still has the same menu layouts and most of the same characters and other things.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
So you are questioning the creators of Project M? I'm pretty sure it's assumed that Project M is a mod for a Wii game because it clearly says Project M is a mod for Brawl. In case you do not know, a mod is is a modification to an existing thing. In this case, files were either replaced or edited. If Project M was its own game, there would be more/different modes, more stages and other content. Project M is coming to that point where it is becoming a game, but as it stands, it's still a mod. It still has the same menu layouts and most of the same characters and other things.
Uh...he's part of the Project M Development Team.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
... I'm not mad but like, wii sports? Am I missing something? Not even resorts tho.

And @others as a massive Zelda fan skyward wasn't top 10 of anything. Just objectively speaking. It's too flawed.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Strange to see people discussing semantics of what is game and what isn't on a news post, but that's the internet I guess.

Happy to see PM being recognized, ScrewAttack has always been open to the community side of gaming, one of the reasons I like the content they put out, GT's list kept it too formal to be really interesting. But that's expected from them, still liked that list as well.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Nothing but the finest of love from Screwattack. Project M definitely deserves a spot on that list more than Super Smash Bros. Brawl, at least to me. Even if Project M wasn't on the list, Brawl definitely didn't deserve a spot because of random tripping which is absolutely stupid design for any type of game out there and the design of the $@! that is Brawl Meta Knight. Sometimes, the original is not always the best. People need to step off with their banter about Project M not being a game when it really is. Just not an official Wii title, but still a game. Also saying that you need to pay for it to be a real game is a logical fallacy. Look at LoL, Dota 2, or TF2.

Regardless, shout outs to Screwattack for the second recognition of Project M in a Top 10(5) list and to the PMDT taking a break after their work on 3.5 before taking on the possible bugs for a possible 3.5b and the looming presence of 4.0 on the horizon.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I didn't realise Netflix was a Wii game.

Crunchyroll must be one of the best PC games of all time. I play it everyday.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Wii Sports is getting complained about a lot here. But it's currently the top-selling video game of all time, beating out even Super Mario Bros. That's why it's on the list.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
This list is obviously a joke and its got people fighting anyway. This list obviously isn't about sales, or competitive viability or even overall quality control.

Kati

Smash Lord
Why do peeps find PM more fun than Brawl?
Removal of random tripping, better stages, more balanced gameplay (MK not OP), Mewtwo and Roy, turbo and all-star versus modes, etc.

and speed.

God damn speed. Sonic must have dementia because everyone including himself was too slow back in '08.

4nace

Smash Ace
Netflix is pretty much a game for me. Its 35 minutes of navigating menus and then a 25 minute cutscene.

Top Bottom