• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scariest Video Game moment?

snes101

Smash Apprentice
John Romero's head in DOOM II scared me a lot, especially with the no clipping code. >_>
I think Giygas could've scared me when I was younger, but granted, Earthbound didn' t get a PAL release.

Mike87

Smash Ace
I remember that fight lol. Actually, my fear for that boss was canceled out by his overall coolness factor.
Yeah the Verdugo fight was awesome.

[
Resident evil 4, the first time I got chainsawed from behind.
I'll never forget that feeling of eerieness and of not knowing what the hell was going on.
Kudos to Capcom for being so tightlipped about the plot.

And yeah It scared the hell out of me when I was first chainsawed.
Also the Regenerators were creepy.

Also the first enconter with Lisa Trevor in the REmake was scary as ****.

Twisted

Smash Cadet
RE4 overall wasn't that bad , but it definitely had my scariest single moments.

Oven man almost gave me a heart attack. Now I laugh every time cause I know about it.

And then there's the Regenerators. Going through that research center where you kill the first one was horrible because you KNOW something was going to happen. I swear it took me 30 min. to get through 2 rooms because I went SO slowly. Yet it still scared me...

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
The only game I can think of right now is Resident Evil 4, but I'm sure there were others.

There were two parts in the game that I was absolutely terrified at. The first one had to be the hedge maze at the castle. I swear, any time I heard some sort of noise, I would run my *** of to the entrance and sit there with a shotgun.

The second had to be the fight with "It". I wouldn't even enter the area to start the fight for a while.

One part that really made me jump is when you are going back to the church in the beginning to get Ashley. It's raining, and you're running up the path. You can't see too much, then BAM. Lightning strikes, and there's 3 wolfs right in front of you. I jumped so high at that moment.

OH, DUH. DOOM 3.

I never played it at night. When I played it, I would have my door open, windows/blinds open, and no dark spots in my room. And even then, I was going very slowly though the game.

Playing Co-Op on Live was a different story though, I wasn't scared or anything.

JellyJiggler

Smash Cadet
When I played StarFox 64 as a kid, getting to Andross always scared me...

And even though I haven't played it, the Giygas battle from Mother 2/Earthbound is pretty freaky...

Seiya

Smash Journeyman
RE4 wasn't that scary..I mean there were "jump out of your seat" moments but that lasted like a couple of seconds. Scary moment for me is with Clock tower. Scissorman scared the crap out of me. That one scene where he's sitting on the rocking chair looking at T.V and you go examine it and he turns around to chase you.

Haunting Ground had some scary parts in it along with Silent Hill 2(Pyramid Head...-_-)

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
I think RE is just the scariest franchise ever.
My scariest moment is from the original. Dogs bustin into the hallway.

2nd place has to be the maze from RE4. I know i wasnt the only one flinching with every single step.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Some of these things, especially Eternal Darkness, sound like creepy ****.

The first time I played Super Mario 64, when you run down the first boss hallway, and Peach's face turns into Bowser...and the floor opens..disturbed me.

In Metal Gear Solid 3, when The Sorrow hits you with his liquid beam attack, and that super-loud screech with the creepy face pops up..
I had my sound turned up fairly loud, and it was late at night, that definitely scared me.

Also, not video game related, but the first time I saw a "Screamer" video (hope you know what I'm talking about) I'll never forget that..lol..
oh god, i vividly remember that boss hallway; i was 7 or 8 and i was too scared to try and play again. then i befriended a little thing called gameshark. :)

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Just Eternal Darkness over all (never owned it, but played it various times at a friend's place) creeped me out... The game is really good with the whole "insanity" theme...

It's been a while since I've had true "jump out of my seat" moments but when I was a little kid there were some.
I also was really afraid of the Redeads in Ocarina of Time... and in Star Fox 64, going to Andross after the taking the hard route (battle with Star Wolf's upgraded ships), the screen would be all black for a few moments (except for Fox's Arwing) when you got to Andross... and afterwards he became a gigantic brain... That really freaked little kiddie me out, lol.
Some scenes in Resident Evil games and Silent Hill games have come close to getting me jump out of my seat though, but none really did it.

leefan

Smash Cadet
huh, there actually have been quite a few games i was scared to play: first was ocarina, the skulltulas of doom freaked me out. then, it was majora, in the first dungeon, where i fell down and got mobbed to death in the darkness by black thingys. then, in donkey kong 64, first level, i was running amok with the rhino and suddenly a giant X appeared and i heard that weird mwahahaha and found myself infront of a giant painting of a rhino. geez, now thinking back, its kinda stupid

plasman

Smash Apprentice
Resistance: Fall of Man - The "Conversion" mission. The first time I turned a corner and those stupid freaking menials jump on to your face. Their blank stare and gnashing teeth. Everytime I see them I switch to a shotgun just for the satisfaction of paying them back for that first time they caught me off guard.

Legend of Zelda OoT - Redeads as have already been said (that scream when you are frozen...eek)but also the skulltula house. For some reason I was really freaked out by the concept of half-human and half-spider beings at that age. That and the entire shadow temple. Just the music.

Star Fox 64 - Andross as a brain gave me nightmares. Literally. I still remember one where I was falling through this green mess of space and this brain was chasing me but he wasn't doing his laugh he was just screaming at me.

Yoshi's Story 64 - That GIGANTIC blooper that jumps up to eat you on those one levels. Geez.

I know there's a couple more but I'll come back when I remember.

bored

Smash Ace
It might sound silly but in Peter Jackson's King Kong the official game of the movie (yeah long title), I used to always freak out when those giant centipede creatures jumped at you.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Being chased by the Berserker in Gears of War. When I came around that corner and it busted through the wall, my instant thoughts were "... ****." and then running for your life, having to line him up with the doors to bust through... my heart was racing.

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
Resident Evil 3. Whilst descending the stairs Nemesis jumps out of the window with a loud noise disrupting the calm music completely. The camera is angled so that he is shown in front of the screen while your character is already halfway down the hallway. I jumped, as did the 4 people on the couch watching me.

Bioshock. Man, when you're walking down the hallway and you see the shadow of some medical doctor cutting away at this guy, then as you proceed further he lets out a shriek and the lights cut off for a moment. When they cut on, you continue down the hallway and see it's a dead end. He attacks you later by jumping out of a freezer.

The creepy part is coming to the conclusion that the guy couldn't have passed you unless he walked right by you in the narrow halway when the lights were out.

Metroid Prime 3. I think it was Valhalla, and the entire mysterious vibe and music the place had was unsettling. The scans didn't help either.

celsosalo

Smash Apprentice
Edmonton, Alberta: HOME OF THE EDMONTON OILERS
When I was little and I was playing Super Mario 64, the part that scared me was the piano part in Boo's houseor something, even today it kind of scares me and in Sonic Adventure 2: Battle is when you're in Pumpkin Hill or in the pyramid thing as Knuckles and the ghosts just pop out of nowhere, GOD it just freaks me out, even if I'm expecting them they still freak me out.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yaya

Smash Champion
In Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, when your PED suit malfunctions, that freaked me out, I did NOT see it coming.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Headcrabs scare the hell outta me.

Curse you Half-Life 2 and your delightfulness
I forgot about those. I was playing HL2 the other night in the "We don't go to Ravenholm..." chapter and holy crap is that full of surprises, including when you first encounter the headcrabs with the sharper claws and the guys that have five of them on their body and they throw them everywhere. Then there are the werewolf-type guys... they are a different story...

pokeman800

Smash Cadet
Either Hyrule or Dreamland... depends on my mood.
When I saw this, three things came to my mind in this order:
1: In Ocarina of time, with the shadow temple
2: In Majora's mask with that first dungeon and the black things
3: In Earthbound on the Giygas fight... that was the scariest part of my life, especially with that freaky music and stupid pokey.

miller483

Smash Ace
Oh boy! Just got another one:

Me, my bro, and some friends were at a friends house playing Dino Crisis. My friend (who was playing) was trying to show us a T-Rex to break through a window. After a while, my friend gives up on it and when we least expect it, the blasted lizard breaks through! Everyone in the room jumped about 2 feet in the air. :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

pokeman800

Smash Cadet
Either Hyrule or Dreamland... depends on my mood.
Oh boy! Just got another one:

Me, my bro, and some friends were at a friends house playing Dino Crisis. My friend (who was playing) was trying to show us a T-Rex to break through a window. After a while, my friend gives up on it and when we least expect it, the blasted lizard breaks through! Everyone in the room jumped about 2 feet in the air. :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:
Man, the same thing happened to me, only me and my friends jumped double that.:chuckle:

Barbeque

Smash Journeyman
The beginning cutscene from Ocarina of Time scared the **** out of me when I was young. When I heard link moaning in his sleep and the lightning when the drawbridge was going down I would run out of the room and hide in the bathroom :\

Ginger9001

Smash Ace
KILLER 7, the creatures,and their movements are just wrong, the way they lunge at you, the way they scream. Dont make me relive that hell (Good game, but it just scares the hell out of me).
Killer 7 rocks, even though its a really weird game. Thought thats what makes it so cool! I tried playing the whole game over today while I was alone at my house (at night) but I got a little disturbed by it so I went to Animal Crossing! :chuckle:

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
In OoT, I refused to play the Shadow temple when I was younger, so I asked my cousins to do it for me lmao

In FF8, Edea always scared the **** out of me.
8 years old + Scary Lady + Creepiest character theme ever + all in the dark = Nightmares =[
And then I saw Sorceress Adel.. Holy ****, I couldn't sleep for nights.

Mike87

Smash Ace
Resistance: Fall of Man - The "Conversion" mission. The first time I turned a corner and those stupid freaking menials jump on to your face. Their blank stare and gnashing teeth. Everytime I see them I switch to a shotgun just for the satisfaction of paying them back for that first time they caught me off guard.

I know there's a couple more but I'll come back when I remember.
They are freaky *******s, you gotta keep your eyes peeled or they can sneak up behind you.
I thought the atmosphere of the "Evacuation" mission was scary as hell, it doesnt help there isnt a lot of light while you're in the base.

Weed

Smash Lord
I remember in Oot, the enemy approaching music shocked me every time (I was like 7, mind you.)
Also the ReDeads >_>

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Game: Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Part: Right Before Ice Temple Boss
Time: Midnight
Volume: High

Scary for a second...

antimatter

Smash Lord
why hasnt anyone mentioned the SA-X, period? any of the chase scenes are scary enough. took me forever to get to Sec-TRO after beating the spider...

Top Bottom