• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Say "Fuzzy Pickles." Ness Video/Critique Thread

Shoto

Smash Apprentice

Bryonato

Green Hat
Okay, here are some friendlies between me and my not-so-good friend. Critique my Ness please! I want some input from some source other than my own analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSwL4bmbgtI
I felt like I was watching myself play this whole vid LOL. We have very similar styles. However, I think I saw you pkfire like maybe 3 times and that's a problem imo. It's such a strong aspect in Ness' kit especially in a matchup like Ganondorf since we can camp him fairly hard.
You're obviously a lot better player than the Ganon and I don't think you'll get away with *not* using pkf against players that are as good as or better than you.

Otherwise I really liked a lot of what you were throwing out. Weakhit nair to dair, lots of jab resets, smart combo strings, etc. You just got to style on him for those games lol. Be wary of dash attacking so much as well. I saw a few unsafe ones thrown out here and there. It's certainly a good tool but a very situational one.

DarkPancake

Smash Cadet
I went and watched one of your videos on twitch, and you're right, we do have very similar styles lol. I completely agree with what you are saying about PK fire. I need to start incorporating it in my play now so that when the time comes to perform, I already have it as a habit. I have already made a note about my unsafe dash attacks, but its hard to break that habit when the people I play against don't punish me for it. >.> Thanks for the input!

DarkPancake

Smash Cadet
@ JTMerrell JTMerrell

Well I think getting in the lab and simply practicing some tech skill would benefit you greatly. Low DJC out of shield and the like. Also, I noticed you didn't combo fox very hard save for 1 stock with the u-tilts. Ness has a great combo game vs fast fallers with DJCs. Practice comboing spacies in practice mode using quick DJC u-airs. Up throw more against spacies because you can get follow ups off that better than down throw at low-mid percents.

There was at least one instance where a pivot grab to back throw would have been better, and I'm a big advocate of pivot grabs, so you can mess around with that. Instead of having to go all the way across the stage to the other side, if you run past them then pivot grab, they have much less distance until the side blast zone.

I would tell you to try to find other approach options besides PK fire, but I suppose as long as it is working, you have no reason to do anything else! XD

Last edited:

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Okay, watching McBad almost take out M2K with Ness has inspired me. If I hack my Wii for Project M, how does that limit the other things I want to do on it?

noterday

Smash Rookie
I don't think hacking my wii ever stopped me from doing anything on it and anyway you don't even need to hack it! Project M can load through the stage builder on any wii with no hacking. Just follow the instructions on the pm website.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i just won a 27-man local with ness

i got two 4-stocks in winners finals LOL

i'll link as soon as they're uploaded

in grand finals i rotated ness/link/marth/falcon/falco lol, tourny was kinda free

Nido

ily Sebby

JTMerrell

Smash Journeyman
vs Shapular (G&W)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHyw2tOQ7xY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op2iaKdsXis

vs Morph (Fox)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vfYiic-ixQ

vs Astro (Lucas, Mario)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-lnj3WSHOs

vs KainTheGuy (Snake)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93R_tyhmlR8

vs Moist (Roy, Mario, Captain Falcon)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzGf1iPuz4s

I really want to know what I can do in the match ups. I have been workin' more on my tech, but obviously went back to bad habits in some videos. Really any advice is good.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
nido: i watched the vid against mewtwo

i think you make a lot of good move choices. you just need to pay attention to spacing more. there were a lot of times you just jumped into damage

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
bryon i think i can help you a lot vs jigglypuff.

overall, you don't have to force yourself to get damage on her. this is how i think of it: she will rack up damage if she spaces poorly. you were making the right move choices, like fair, nair, and pk fire, but you were rushing in with them almost the whole time.

since she's a very aerial character, a good strategy is actually to stay on the ground. short hop fairs in place or fading away can keep her out. like i mentioned before against marth, shielding is pretty ok because her main goal is to space aerials at the tip. and her grab game is much worse than marth's.

before you can confidently go in, you gotta watch her movement patterns. some puffs like to go directly toward you and attack, and some puffs like to use long-duration aerials above you to prevent you from jumping. there are different ways to deal with both. if she is attacking you directly, you can space her out with fairs and pk fire. if she hits your shield at the tip of her aerial and fades away, you can sometimes punish her with wavedash forward fair or even fsmash. even if you can't punish (which means she spaced it well) at least you can gain some ground and not be pushed into the corner by wavedashing forward out of shield. if she hits your shield too deep, dair out of shield might end up doing more damage than shield grabbing, since it can sometimes combo into itself, or lead into pk fires when she rolls. it's better to keep her point blank rather than allowing her to space.

if she spaces aerials above you, you can run beneath her and either try to attack from beneath/behind her, or just regain center stage. puff's goal (besides resting) is to push us to the corner with sheer spacing, and then get easy edgeguards. so defending center stage is very important.

if her spacing game is just super good, one good strategy, like i always mention, is run up shield haha. this could cause her aerial to be too deep and you can punish out of shield. of course she can counter this by grabbing, but she gets absolutely nothing after the throw against ness, except positioning i guess

overall, attacking her is too hard, and not good, because all she is doing the entire match is spacing and her aerial movement is better than any other character's. so really we just have to defend ourselves from her obnoxiousness.

never forget:

source: lots of exp vs puff in melee. she's my best matchup. haven't played the matchup too much in PM yet but i'm guessing it's largely the same

edit: not saying you can NEVER EVER approach... once you know her movement well, you can find times to weave in. it just really depends on her patterns. cuz when i watch hbox, his spacing is so good, and unpredictable, that he looks unapproachable

which is why he only loses to fox lol...

Last edited:

Bryonato

Green Hat
Thanks for the write up, chok. I've watched that set probably 4 or 5 times now, and each time I seem to learn something new.
Mostly what I think I can benefit most from (and you emphasized this) is simply being much more patient and playing a more poke-based neutral rather than my usual rushdown style.

I feel like this can apply to Luigi as well.

JTMerrell

Smash Journeyman

Bryonato

Green Hat
Wow. I really dig your style. Your use of sh aerial pkf, dtilt, and grounded mag is very unique. Your Ness is very technical but also very calculated and precise. Really impressive stuff man.

SpaceJello

Smash Apprentice
thanks, this especially means alot to me because i learned how to do my momentum shifts with pk fire from your video :p

Last edited:

Zero May Cry

Smash Cadet
I recently got some capture tools and I was wondering if anyone would like to see a comprehensive video detailing Ness' chaintrhows on all characters, and ways to combo off them. I could get details about what percents chainthrows work to on certain characters, but since I don't have a human to practice with very often, I'd love it if someone got that info for me and I could just put it into the video, along with the post-chainthrow combos. Good idea maybe?

Akhenderson

Smash Apprentice
My first live streamed tournament match (second actual tournament I've actually entered in)
http://www.twitch.tv/jackkenney/b/536066891
match starts at 2:56:50ish

I would like to know how I'm doing as just a basic Ness with very little experience fighting against others. I'm having incredible trouble fighting against Captain Falcon so I'd like to have an analysis on what I did wrong...

SpaceJello

Smash Apprentice
no ill remove the post. both owners purposefully removed all archives with my games in them -___-. its whatever though next time ill try to archive them somewhere else

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I'm attending a small tournament/smashfest in queens later today. I'll post links to the videos. There's gonna be a twitch stream if anybody's interested in watching, PM Hype fest. 7:00 PM est

I still don't have djc down like I do in melee, but I should be able to do something.

Top Bottom